PDA

View Full Version : Rank this Defense

Woodrow Call
04-03-2005, 02:49 PM
I just moved back home with my folks :banghead: so humor me for a second I am bored.

I am using 2 rumors that are floating about. Using the 2nd for Howard and the 4th for Surtain.

DE-Howard
DT-Dalton
DT-Sims
DE-Allen

OLB-Biesel
MLB-Bell
OLB-Fujita

CB-Surtain
CB-Warfield
FS-Wesley
SS-Knight

jspchief
04-03-2005, 02:50 PM
They suck. They haven't stopped anyone.

Tribal Warfare
C-

TRR
I would rather have Sharper than Howard. I am of the belief that if we sign a DE, he will be competing with Jared Allen for the spot, and not Eric Hicks. That's why I am not to high on bringing in a DE.

Also, we will not get Surtain for a 4th.

jspchief
Wait, they're awesome...they haven't allowed a yard.

HolmeZz
04-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Use our first rounder on an OLB. I don't want Beisel starting.

beer bacon
04-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Voted 11-20. That LB core would still really hurt us.

cmh6476
04-03-2005, 02:53 PM
If this is the case we should use our first on Channing Crowder and start him over Beisel!

KCJake
04-03-2005, 02:56 PM
Voted 11-20. That LB core would still really hurt us.
Agreed. I could live with that D-line and that secondary, but Fujita/Biesel still worry me.

Woodrow Call
04-03-2005, 02:59 PM
The LB corp worries me as much as the black hole at CB. I hope once the Chiefs get the CB problem solved they will move onto LB either in the draft or a Holdman, Polley, Simmons type. I just don't see Sharper coming here.

I used Fujita and Beisel because they are the only 2 LB the Chiefs have been linked to for obvious reasons.

The defense in the poll is not my dream defense trust me. Just a mildly realistic version.

Mr. Laz
04-03-2005, 04:51 PM
sims hasn't shown jack ... both ends are pass rushing small guys

wesley hasn't played 1 down of free safety

our linebackers are bleh

warfield will get exposed as soon as he has a decent cornerback opposite him.

21-25

it's an improvement though

Spicy McHaggis
04-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Fujita doesn't worry me if we have Bell and another solid guy for LB. If we start the season and Fuji is our 3rd best linebacker then we'll be alright. Asking him the be the number one guy w/ Beisel and Mitchell was too much last year.

Logical
04-03-2005, 05:37 PM
11-20 IMO probably below 15, still that is a huge improvement over last year if it happens and should result in a minimum of 10 victories barring injury problems.

Mr. Laz
04-03-2005, 05:44 PM
11-20 IMO probably below 15, still that is a huge improvement over last year if it happens and should result in a minimum of 10 victories barring injury problems.
just for the sake of discussion...

but how do you expect that kind of improvement when both defensive ends are smallish and would be susceptable to the run and with no good outside linebackers to back them up.

seems to me like that defense would give up runs on the corner by the mile

allen ---> beisel

howard ---> fujita

better up the middle of the defense... but weak on the edges

keg in kc
04-03-2005, 05:50 PM
I don't know a whole lot about Howard since I don't watch the NFC (and I don't expect we're trading for him), but his bio reads 6'3, 275 pounds. I wouldn't call that "smallish". I'd call that prototypical. Much bigger than that and you're talking about a smallish defensive tackle type build, a guy who won't be able to get upfield against OTs. That's why I don't like the idea of throwing a 300 pounder out there, whether it's Browning or the Eddie Freeman experiment a couple of years back.

I will say, however, that any defense starting Monty Beisel has a gaping hole at linebacker.

KCWolfman
04-03-2005, 06:28 PM
I went safe with 11-20. I truly believe with a few key elements we can be an average offense. I don't believe with the best elements at a couple of positions we will be a great offense.

Logical
04-03-2005, 09:00 PM
just for the sake of discussion...

but how do you expect that kind of improvement when both defensive ends are smallish and would be susceptable to the run and with no good outside linebackers to back them up.

seems to me like that defense would give up runs on the corner by the mile

allen ---> beisel

howard ---> fujita

better up the middle of the defense... but weak on the edgesI really cannot argue with that point. I have though always been less convinced that the running game decides the outcome than others. As long as we are able to stop the long gains it is hard to sustain a drive on one aspect of offense alone. That defense should be decent up the middle and fair in pass coverage,

craneref
04-03-2005, 09:07 PM
Our "D" needs to do one thing and one thing alone, "TACKLE". I don't know how many times the "D" was int he right place at the right time, got hands on the ball carrier, yet didn't make the tackle. Gvie me guys that can tackle or at least hang on untilhelp arrives, and this "D" will do fine. GO CHIEFS.

philfree
04-03-2005, 09:16 PM
I voted 11-20 but IMO if we just put Surtain in at #1 CB and MCleon at $.05 with Bartee gone we are a much better D. Add Bell, Knight and leave Hicks in the game and we're better still yet. Draft Rogers and we're a little more better and very scary in the 2ndary. I't's impossible quanitfy but we'll be much better with those additions alone IMO.

PhilFree :arrow:

chiefsfolife
04-03-2005, 09:18 PM
whats wrong with fujita...y start beisel of him

chiefsfolife
04-03-2005, 09:18 PM
and how about siavii starting

LiL stumppy
04-03-2005, 10:00 PM
I would rather have Sharper than Howard. I am of the belief that if we sign a DE, he will be competing with Jared Allen for the spot, and not Eric Hicks. That's why I am not to high on bringing in a DE.

Also, we will not get Surtain for a 4th.

Exactly,the coaches love Eric :cuss:

Simplex3
04-03-2005, 10:13 PM
Our "D" needs to do one thing and one thing alone, "TACKLE". I don't know how many times the "D" was int he right place at the right time, got hands on the ball carrier, yet didn't make the tackle. Gvie me guys that can tackle or at least hang on untilhelp arrives, and this "D" will do fine. GO CHIEFS.
Get Maz and Beisel out there then. They may not be fast but when they're there they guy will go down.

People forget, most of these star players that used to rely on running a 4.4 40 when they were young rely on their heads when they slow down. You can make up for some speed with smarts, especially at linebacker. I think that may be part of Kawika's issue is that he over-runs the damn play before he figures out what the play is.

eazyb81
04-03-2005, 10:19 PM
Not sure why you have Beisel starting, I would imagine that Fox and Mitchell will be ahead of him in the rotation. Furthermore, a few teams are interested in signing Beisel (namely the Steelers and the Packers) so I can't see us beating a respectable offer for him. Also, no way in hell do we trade for Surtain and Howard.....Howard is a pipedream.