PDA

View Full Version : Royals payroll down 23.8 percent from last year

|Zach|
04-03-2005, 09:34 PM
One year after a franchise-record $47.6 million payroll netted the worst record in team history, the Kansas City Royals will start the 2005 season with a payroll of $36.3 million, the club's lowest in four years.

Club officials said the lower payroll reflects the team's youth movement, not a reluctance to pay higher salaries to players who deserve them.

"I've tried to be very candid with our fans throughout the offseason that the direction of the club is not about the payroll," general manager Allard Baird said. "With young players who have limited service time -- in some cases, no service time -- it means low salaries. That's just reality."

The payroll list includes 25 players on the opening-day roster and two players who will begin the season on the disabled list.

First baseman Mike Sweeney's $11 million salary comprises more than 30 percent of this year's payroll. Meanwhile, Kansas City's 2004 pitcher of the year and player of the year, Zack Greinke and David DeJesus, will make $330,500 and $320,000, respectively.

Outfielder Terrence Long is the second highest-paid Royal at $4.7 million, with $975,000 being paid by San Diego under terms of the Nov. 8 trade between the two teams. Eighteen players are making $500,000 or less, including four who are making the league minimum of $316,000.

Tampa Bay is expected to have the lowest payroll in the majors at $30 million, and Pittsburgh's payroll is projected to be about $36 million. All of the other major league teams expect to enter the season with a payroll of at least $42 million.

Royals owner David Glass, who said in December he anticipated no significant drop in payroll, said he's willing to spend more money to aquire players who fit the club's profile.

"We have needs we're trying to fill," he said. "If we could get a good, young corner outfielder with some punch, that would really help. It isn't just about payroll. We had the biggest payroll in our history last season and lost 104 games."

After last year's disappointing season, Kansas City got rid of several veteran players, which significantly trimmed the team's payroll.

Baird said the young team will grow together in coming years, and the payroll will grow as players gain experience and become eligible for arbitration.

"We can keep these guys together," he said. "I"m not making this up. The money is there to make this work."

http://www.examiner.net/stories/040205/spo_040205064.shtml

tk13
04-03-2005, 09:36 PM
You just want to see people complain, don't you, you sicko? :)

Demonpenz
04-03-2005, 09:36 PM
The payroll doesn't matter now. They just are in a 5 year window. If we have a good year now i hope they will add more pieces later and maybe not piss grienke to the point where he will be 5 and out

the Talking Can
04-03-2005, 09:40 PM
the Royals are worse then hockey....

Frazod
04-03-2005, 09:42 PM
I hope Glass burns in hell. He's ruined this team. 4321

ENDelt260
04-03-2005, 09:53 PM
This is an outrage. I demand we pay $10 million dollars to some has-been almost start to sit on the DL for 75% of the season.

VonneMarie
04-03-2005, 10:04 PM
This is an outrage. I demand we pay $10 million dollars to some has-been almost start to sit on the DL for 75% of the season.
Gonzalez and Sweeney are not has beens. :cuss:

|Zach|
04-03-2005, 10:05 PM
Wahh?

ENDelt260
04-03-2005, 10:06 PM
Haha. Of course not. That's why they're putting up great numbers.

Which will be higher this year? Juan Gone's HR count, or his number of games missed due to injury?

VonneMarie
04-03-2005, 10:06 PM
Wahh?
I forgot Gonzalez only got what? Nevermind, how much did he make? :hmmm:

VonneMarie
04-03-2005, 10:08 PM
Haha. Of course not. That's why they're putting up great numbers.

Which will be higher this year? Juan Gone's HR count, or his number of games missed due to injury?
# of games missed due to bullshit injuries. Also Sweeney is worth it when healthy.

Frazod
04-03-2005, 10:08 PM

"I thought you said we didn't have any high-priced talent."

"Oh, I forgot about Dorn because he's only high-priced."

ROFL

kchero
04-03-2005, 10:14 PM

Yes Gonzalez is a has-been...talk about the biggest joke of a player in MLB.

Cochise
04-03-2005, 10:14 PM
I hope Glass burns in hell. He's ruined this team. 4321

They hadn't had any success since the World Series before he took over in 2000 either, except 94. How do you ruin a team that was already going on 15 years of futility?

I don't think the Royals are exceedingly well run or poorly run. They've just been sent into a gunfight with a knife given the way baseball works today.

ENDelt260
04-03-2005, 10:15 PM
# of games missed due to bullshit injuries. Also Sweeney is worth it when healthy.
If Juan Gone was healthy, he might be, too.

If you're constantly on the DL, what you could or couldn't do if healthy is irrelevant.

Frazod
04-03-2005, 10:18 PM
They hadn't had any success since the World Series before he took over in 2000 either, except 94. How do you ruin a team that was already going on 15 years of futility?

I don't think the Royals are exceedingly well run or poorly run. They've just been sent into a gunfight with a knife given the way baseball works today.

I know small market teams are at a big disadvantage. But this prick has more money than God - he could field a competitive team if he wanted to. He doesn't.

sparkky
04-03-2005, 10:28 PM
Screw the Yankees. How do we compare to Omahas payroll??

tk13
04-03-2005, 10:28 PM
I know small market teams are at a big disadvantage. But this prick has more money than God - he could field a competitive team if he wanted to. He doesn't.
Just out of curiousity, and this is a dead serious question, how much money can he lose in a season before he is losing "too much" money?

Frazod
04-03-2005, 10:39 PM
Just out of curiousity, and this is a dead serious question, how much money can he lose in a season before he is losing "too much" money?

I don't expect him to field a team that can compete with the Yankmees or the Red Sox. But could we at least field a team that can compete with THE F#CKING TWINS? Last time I checked, Minneapolis ain't a big market team, either. He should be able to put together a team that can at least give them a run. Accidently doing it once really doesn't count.

Clearly this turd approaches ownership of this team from a pure business standpoint - lowballing the universe just like all the rest of those Wal-Mart bastards. What I don't understand is why he would buy a sports team in the first place if he doesn't give a shit about winning.

And the real question here is - if he doesn't care, why should the fans?

Cochise
04-03-2005, 10:40 PM
Really, it's kind of unfair to say that they 'slashed the payroll'. They lost some veterans who aren't going to be around by the time the team matures and weren't producing anyway. More youth rises to the MLB level and with it comes people playing rookie contracts and haven't hit free agency yet as a by-product.

Tomorrow's projected lineup, age

DeJesus, 25
Gotay, 22
Sweeney, 31
Pickering, 28
Stairs, 37
Berroa, 26
Long, 29
Buck, 24
Teahen, 23

Last year's opening day lineup, age

Berroa, 25
Beltran, 27
Sweeney, 30
Gonzalez, 35
Randa, 35
Harvey, 26
Santiago, 39
Guiel, 32
Relaford, 31

So, this year our lineup consists of only two players who are over 30 and 4 who are 25 or younger, compared to last year, where 6 opening day starters were over 30 and only 1 was 25 or younger. Only Sweeney and Berroa return, both of whom signed extensions in the last two seasons.

It isn't like they're running out a hundred-loss team full of veterans who are never going to be any better than they already are (or once were). The lineup for the most part looks like a list of players who each could turn into the caliber you need given experience.

Cochise
04-03-2005, 10:41 PM

I looked this up last year and at the time he was worth $500 million. That would only be enough to field the yankees for 2 years, maybe 3.

I love the royals as much as the next lifelong Kansas Citian but probably wouldn't spend my entire personal fortune for a couple of years where we 'might' get to the next level.

tk13
04-03-2005, 10:53 PM
I don't expect him to field a team that can compete with the Yankmees or the Red Sox. But could we at least field a team that can compete with THE F#CKING TWINS? Last time I checked, Minneapolis ain't a big market team, either. He should be able to put together a team that can at least give them a run. Accidently doing it once really doesn't count.

Clearly this turd approaches ownership of this team from a pure business standpoint - lowballing the universe just like all the rest of those Wal-Mart bastards. What I don't understand is why he would buy a sports team in the first place if he doesn't give a shit about winning.

And the real question here is - if he doesn't care, why should the fans?
We only had like $7 million less than the Twins in payroll last season... and I think, and hope, that we're saving money now so we can do what the Twins did this offseason... re-sign our guys. The Twins were able to sign guys like Santana and Radke. I think we're saving money now like the Twins have so in a few years every single player we develop doesn't run away. Obviously we can't keep them all, that never happens with any team, the Twins have lost some guys in recent years, but even the Red Sox and Yankees can't keep everybody. Financially speaking I don't think we're far off from the Twins though... but when you're trying to start young prospects instead of old guys like Joe Randa and Juan Gonzalez, obviously you're going to take a cut in payroll... unless you just want to go ahead and pay these prospects before they prove if they deserve it or not.

Valiant
04-04-2005, 12:42 AM
What we tried to go spend money and win last year... It back fired, those things happen..

This year we have a young team, of course payroll is not going to be that high... depending on how it goes we could add later on in the season for a FA pickup, or trade sweeney and make it even cheaper..

beavis
04-04-2005, 12:46 AM
I looked this up last year and at the time he was worth $500 million. That would only be enough to field the yankees for 2 years, maybe 3.

I love the royals as much as the next lifelong Kansas Citian but probably wouldn't spend my entire personal fortune for a couple of years where we 'might' get to the next level.
What do you mean? I think it's a great idea to run a business at a loss every year. Look what it's done for the Diamondbacks. :rolleyes:

mcan
04-04-2005, 12:57 AM
Until baseball gets its act together, we will have a subpar team. There is no reason to believe that any 45 million dollar team will do any better than a 35 million dollar team. So, we might as well keep the 35 million dollar team and hope that they catch fire. It doesn't matter anyway. If we went balls to the wall and spent 55 million we wouldn't be able to stop the Yankees from signing up any help we might need late in the season just to put them on the bench. The truth: We will have to make do with lower payed talent. Most often that means the least successful players.

ChiTown
04-04-2005, 07:07 AM
Well, at least Terrence Long is a steal at 4.7MM :rolleyes:

Go get em' Allard!

ENDelt260
04-04-2005, 11:54 AM
Look what it's done for the Diamondbacks. :rolleyes:

Got them a world championship in their fourth year of existence and built a huge fan base? Yeah, that was terrible.

beavis
04-04-2005, 01:27 PM
Got them a world championship in their fourth year of existence and built a huge fan base? Yeah, that was terrible.
...and virtually bankrupted their team. That's awesome.

ENDelt260
04-04-2005, 01:29 PM
...and virtually bankrupted their team. That's awesome.
They're still selling more tickets than the Royals. Wonder what the financial situation of the team will be in five years... y'know, when the fans who have weathered the couple of bad years they have coming still have a WS championship fresh in their memories.