PDA

View Full Version : Jerome Woods, he ain't done yet. At least so he says

Mr. Flopnuts
04-03-2005, 10:15 PM
I found this encouraging. Hopefully there will be some serious competition this year. Sorry if it's a repost.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/11303445.htm

Chiefs' safety Woods in a fight for his professional life

BY ADAM TEICHER

Knight Ridder Newspapers

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - (KRT) - Even now, months after his sins, Chiefs safety Jerome Woods can sit alone in a darkened room watching video from last season and will cringe over what is about to come.

Up on the screen, there's Woods with a chance to knock the head off Houston wide receiver Andre Johnson on a deep pass along the sideline. Instead, Woods is a witness as Johnson makes a spectacular grab, a big play in what would become a narrow Texans victory.

Moments later, there's a cut from the New Orleans game. Woods goes for an interception rather than make the sure play and blast the Saints' Joe Horn after the catch. Horn goes on to make the big play with Woods nowhere in sight.

When the video finally clicks off, Woods is left to wonder the identity of the player in his No. 21 jersey. Who, he thinks, is that impostor?

It simply can't be Woods, a reliable and occasionally spectacular player since becoming a starter for the Chiefs in 1997. He was a Pro Bowler once and has been fined several times by the NFL for his wicked hits.

But reality is that it was Woods. And those were only two plays from a season gone very wrong.

"That's a phase of my game I lost, and I'm going to get it back," he said. "I got a couple picks and a couple of touchdowns a couple of years ago, and I started focusing on making plays. That's not me. That's not my game. I was trying to make myself something I wasn't. I came in as a hitter. Making the big hit, that's just as big as making a pick because you're marking your territory and making guys fear going through there.

"I got away from that. I started listening to people who told me I needed picks and needed to make plays to make the Pro Bowl. I know what my strengths are, but I lost focus and tried to be something I'm not. I was an aggressive safety, and that's what I'm going to be again."

Woods' new focus comes at the right time because he's in a fight for his professional life. The Chiefs signed veteran free agent Sammy Knight to be their strong safety, leaving Woods and Greg Wesley to compete for the other starting job.

The odds have to favor Wesley, who also disappointed the Chiefs last year but who is five years younger than Woods, 32.

The Chiefs wonder privately whether Woods' skills haven't started to erode, as they inevitably do for all players. That's a notion Woods disputes.

"I get up every morning, and I go work out," he said. "That drive and that hunger are still there. The older you get, the more you're going to lose some skills. You've got to face that reality of life. But what makes me know I can still do this, that it's not time for me to hang it up yet, is that I wake up every morning with that desire to make myself to be the best player I can be."

Woods did admit to still struggling with the effects of a broken leg from the summer of 2002 that cost him all of that season. In a preseason game in Seattle, Woods had one of those gruesome, shield-your-eyes incidents where his leg bent in an awkward way legs aren't supposed to bend.

"I still remember lying there on that turf looking at my leg and thinking, `There's no way I'm ever going to come back from this,'" he said.

Woods did come back, as good as ever in fact. He returned and made the Pro Bowl in 2003 for the only time in his career.

Woods said he never felt like himself that season, either.

"I just wanted to get back on the field," he said. "I felt like if I wasn't completely right, I could compensate and overcome it. Last year, it caught up to me."

He both felt like that impostor last season and played like one. At one point, Woods asked friend and former Chiefs teammate Mark Collins to watch some video and critique his play.

"I just told him that from day one, he was not playing with any confidence in his body or his leg," Collins said. "He was playing like he had an injured leg. He was down in the dumps. The team wasn't doing well, and he wasn't doing well.

"You can't play this game scared. You can't play if you're worried about getting hurt or about making an injury you already have worse. You've just got to play."

The battle to get his game back began long before the Chiefs signed Knight. It started in the days after the end of the season when Woods returned to his offseason home in Memphis, Tenn.

His family, including his father, brothers and uncle, sounded the chorus of critics.

"They kept reminding me the strongest part of my game was always my speed," Woods said. "I've never been real strong, so why was I hitting the weights trying to make myself into that kind of player? Then it kind of dawned on me: They were right."

But what to do about it? Woods brainstormed with agent Jimmy Sexton, and they settled on having Woods work with a speed coach. They found one in Memphis in Orlando McKay, who in the early `90s went to camp with the Packers as a wide receiver.

Four times a week, Woods and McKay head to a Memphis gym or track. There, they break down his stride and reconstruct it.

"Sitting out that year with a broken leg, it's almost like you have to learn how to walk again before you can run," Woods said. "I feel like I'm still walking right now. I've got to learn to run again."

Woods was serious enough about working with McKay that he skipped the first week of the Chiefs' offseason conditioning program in Kansas City. Woods said he planned to alternate weeks between Memphis and Kansas City.

The better move politically would be to spend all of his time in Kansas City. Technically, the Chiefs' program is voluntary, but the team frowns on those who don't participate and particularly on players who are fighting for a job.

"I'm not doing this because I don't want to be there," Woods said. "I'm doing this because I think it will make me a better player."

McKay, who has worked with other NFL players including Rams wide receiver Isaac Bruce and Saints cornerback Mike McKenzie, found a motivated client in Woods.

On their first day together, McKay asked Woods to do a drill in which the player would step over a hurdle carrying his leg in a certain manner.

"The first time he does it, his leg goes a little bit to the left, maybe 3 inches from where it's supposed to be," McKay said. "That's very minor. I wouldn't have even asked him to do it again. But he pulled his leg back over the hurdle and said he was starting over. Then he went back and did it again the right way this time. So he's paying attention to the detail.

"This will make a big difference for him when he starts playing football again. What he'll see specifically is if he's backpedaling and somebody throws a fade route and he's got to turn and go get that thing, he'll get there a lot quicker. He'll be able to make plays that maybe he wasn't able to make before. We're trying to eliminate the little bit of a gallop he's got in his stride from that old injury. He's also going to have better balance. He's going to be quicker getting in and out of his cuts.

"I'm really pleased with his progress in just the last three weeks. He's made tremendous leaps and bounds. The Chiefs will see that when he gets back to Kansas City."

That's only part of the problem. Getting his old aggressive attitude back is the rest of it, and brave talk alone won't be enough.

"I think Jerome has another five good years left in him," Collins said. "He's just got to get over that mental part of it. He's got to get his mind right. We're not talking about a guy who lost his skill. We're talking about a guy who got hurt, and he's spending too much time thinking about that.

"There are some guys that you can look into their eyes and tell the fire is burned out. Jerome? No. We talk a lot. I can hear the passion in his voice. He wants to be what he wants to be, and he wants it badly."

Which is why Woods tortures himself watching the video. That serves as motivation that next time, Johnson or Horn or any receiver will go flying, as will the ball.

"I'm coming back," Woods said. "I'm going to go out in camp and show them the old Jerome Woods is back. It's going to be up to me when I want to let this thing go."

PastorMikH
04-03-2005, 10:21 PM
If I were a betting man, I'd bet $ that Wesley is riding the pine next fall. Sounds like Woods finally has a fire in him again.

ZootedGranny
04-03-2005, 10:28 PM
Good for Jerome, I'm glad he showing the effort to improve his game while Wesley is sitting and pouting. He's one of my favorite players, but I'm disappinted with how Greg has came off since Knight was signed.

Sparhawk
04-03-2005, 10:29 PM
I liked the article and agree with you. I think Woods needs to prove it though. Some players just don't know when to quit. Is he one of these, or does he really have a few years left as mentioned? He's going to have his work cut out for him to beat out a younger Wesley I think unless you're right and Wesley is pouting! It'lll be interesting to watch in camp..Wish I could be there to see it!

Count Zarth
04-03-2005, 10:30 PM
This is exactly what we need.

jspchief
04-03-2005, 10:31 PM
If I were a betting man, I'd bet $ that Wesley is riding the pine next fall. Sounds like Woods finally has a fire in him again.

I'll admit I was very critical of Woods last year. It's good to see him recognize that it's a problem and try to correct it. Hopefully his efforts translate to performance. Greg Wesley is a fool to be sitting on his laurels right now.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-03-2005, 10:34 PM
He can talk all he wants. Anyone can talk, just look at Hicks. He talks all the time, but doesn't produce. We need results. Wood needs to walk the walk.

royr17
04-03-2005, 10:40 PM
Maybe the signin of Knight could be used as a motivator.

morphius
04-03-2005, 10:41 PM
At least it sounds like these guys are doing what they need to do to get better and not just expecting to be good.

Hopefully a fire well hit Sims in the butt as well.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-03-2005, 10:44 PM
At least it sounds like these guys are doing what they need to do to get better and not just expecting to be good.

Hopefully a fire well hit Sims in the butt as well.

If I'm correct, Sims is in a contract year, if that doesn't light a fire nothing will.

Inspector
04-03-2005, 10:45 PM
Seems we have someone to look forward to seeing every year - to see the fire or to see the improvement.

And, unforunately, often it seems we get let down. We get all built up for nothing.

I hope we see the old Woods with the speed and verocity in his hits. But I will need to actually see it to believe it.

I've looked forward to nothing before, hope I don't again.

ROYC75
04-03-2005, 10:46 PM
I think he wants to play instead of riding the bench.

royr17
04-03-2005, 10:50 PM
Woods and Wesley need to both regain there old form and become the great safety tandem they was bein considered.

Spicy McHaggis
04-03-2005, 10:51 PM
He can talk all he wants. Anyone can talk, just look at Hicks. He talks all the time, but doesn't produce. We need results. Wood needs to walk the walk.

I have a lot more confidence in Woods walking the walk than Hicks. I hope Jerome comes back looking to kick ass and take names.

Woodrow Call
04-03-2005, 10:52 PM
Hard not to be excited after reading an article like that. I just hope his body can still match his determination. I hope Wesley reads this and realizes want an azz he looks like complaining. The old Woods would be a welcome sight and I am rooting for him.

Lets see it on the field Jerome. :thumb:

The fact that any player on this defense thinks they should not be replaced is amazing. I hope the spirit of competition and realizing that their jobs are far from secure raises the level of everyones play. No player should ever feel comfortable and I blame Vermeil for this attitude. His whole lets hug each other and win with these guys plan backfired and I think he understands that now.

wazu
04-03-2005, 11:01 PM
Awesome. May the best man win.

mcan
04-03-2005, 11:15 PM
No player should ever feel comfortable and I blame Vermeil for this attitude. His whole lets hug each other and win with these guys plan backfired and I think he understands that now.

I don't think that Vermeil has fostered that attitude anybody. There are two types of people, those who take responsibility and those who shift it. Dick Vermeil has always been a "take responsibility" kind of guy, and that, if anything, should lead others to be that way. If they don't, then they are just of the "shifting" mold.

The fact that he hugs his players and treats them all like family is what makes him a great coach. All coaches are good at Xs and Os. They all know the game pretty well. Dick Vermeil is a great person on top of that. That's nothing that he should be ashamed of, and frankly, (nothing personal) but I think you were unfair in insinuating that he should. If this were a schoolyard playground, I'ld ask you to 'take it back.'

Wile_E_Coyote
04-03-2005, 11:16 PM
Wesley seems to have played well when Woods played well. Maybe now he will feed off Knight & Romey can be the nickleback. The Chiefs seemed to like his play at nickleback

BIG_DADDY
04-03-2005, 11:19 PM
I am looking forward to all 3 of these guys pushing this season. I really miss the big hits, it was completely absent last season.

Woodrow Call
04-03-2005, 11:58 PM
I don't think that Vermeil has fostered that attitude anybody. There are two types of people, those who take responsibility and those who shift it. Dick Vermeil has always been a "take responsibility" kind of guy, and that, if anything, should lead others to be that way. If they don't, then they are just of the "shifting" mold.

The fact that he hugs his players and treats them all like family is what makes him a great coach. All coaches are good at Xs and Os. They all know the game pretty well. Dick Vermeil is a great person on top of that. That's nothing that he should be ashamed of, and frankly, (nothing personal) but I think you were unfair in insinuating that he should. If this were a schoolyard playground, I'ld ask you to 'take it back.'

I am big enough of man to admit I went a little far there. Dick is a great person and I always enjoy hearing his stories and watching "In Their Own Words" and other specials on NFL Network. His players love him and I think that says a lot for him. I admire his win with my guys attitude but I think it has been his downfall in KC.

I was fired up and my pissedoffness(not a word probably) from last season came out. With that being said I should have worded that differently. What I meant to say was basically that after 3 years of being terrible on defense its time to try a different approach. I little less comforting and lot more azz chewing but I can't ask Dick to be something he is not.

Anyway there ya go.

mcan
04-04-2005, 12:08 AM
I am big enough of man to admit I went a little far there. Dick is a great person and I always enjoy hearing his stories and watching "In Their Own Words" and other specials on NFL Network. His players love him and I think that says a lot for him. I admire his win with my guys attitude but I think it has been his downfall in KC.

I was fired up and my pissedoffness(not a word probably) from last season came out. With that being said I should have worded that differently. What I meant to say was basically that after 3 years of being terrible on defense its time to try a different approach. I little less comforting and lot more azz chewing but I can't ask Dick to be something he is not.

Anyway there ya go.

Wow... Rep for you!

Pants
04-04-2005, 12:09 AM
I love Romie, always have, untill last season. I thought he was done and it was his time to fade away. Guess not. More power to him.

the Talking Can
04-04-2005, 12:26 AM
talk is nice, but talk is cheap....getting back that fearless-ness that made him a big hitter may be harder then getting back his physical stamina....I think he felt mortal after breaking his leg and I'm not sure how you let go of that....

chiefsfolife
04-04-2005, 12:28 AM
Seems we have someone to look forward to seeing every year - to see the fire or to see the improvement.

And, unforunately, often it seems we get let down. We get all built up for nothing.

I hope we see the old Woods with the speed and verocity in his hits. But I will need to actually see it to believe it.

I've looked forward to nothing before, hope I don't again.
its this what happens to chiefs fans...i been a fan my entire life but thats only 24 years...whats wrong wit this guy

|Zach|
04-04-2005, 12:29 AM
its this what happens to chiefs fans...i been a fan my entire life but thats only 24 years...whats wrong wit this guy
Shut the **** up with your real fan bullshit.

Nobody wants to hear it.

wazu
04-04-2005, 12:29 AM
talk is nice, but talk is cheap....getting back that fearless-ness that made him a big hitter may be harder then getting back his physical stamina....I think he felt mortal after breaking his leg and I'm not sure how you let go of that....

Get back the speed. If it's possible for him to do that, I think he'll get the swagger back as well.

Pants
04-04-2005, 12:31 AM

Desperation? Not giving a shit? A youg player is afraid of a career-edning injury, an old player isn't. He has nothing to lose.

Pants
04-04-2005, 12:32 AM
Shut the **** up with your real fan bullshit.

Nobody wants to hear it.

Spicy McHaggis
04-04-2005, 12:33 AM

Oh yeah once you hit you're 25th birthday you become all jaded and just sit around in your own feces with a tin foil hat babbling about parking prices and 2nd round picks. :rolleyes:

Chill out.

chiefsfolife
04-04-2005, 12:34 AM
ROFL ...take it easy, want some xanax

Rausch
04-04-2005, 12:35 AM
I can't help it, I'm pull'n for 'em...

the Talking Can
04-04-2005, 12:35 AM
Desperation? Not giving a shit? A youg player is afraid of a career-edning injury, an old player isn't. He has nothing to lose.

I think the fear is much greater once you've been injured. Ignorance is bliss.

I wish him luck. At least he admits the problem, the verdict is still out on Wesley.

chiefsfolife
04-04-2005, 12:39 AM
I think the fear is much greater once you've been injured. Ignorance is bliss.

I wish him luck. At least he admits the problem, the verdict is still out on Wesley.
brilliant ROFL

chiefsfolife
04-04-2005, 12:43 AM
I dont care who plays ff. They gonna play like they in the supabowl everyweek

chiefsfolife
04-04-2005, 12:47 AM
night queers....ROFL

mcan
04-04-2005, 12:50 AM
night queers....ROFL

Gooooood Neeeeight, my little young chiefs fannie, aren't you so cute?...
http://www.londonpostcard.co.uk/images/southpark/sp3008.jpg

Mr. Flopnuts
04-04-2005, 12:58 AM
night queers....ROFL

Don't listen to him, on other BB's his screen name is Dicksfolife.

whoman69
04-04-2005, 07:17 AM
The starter isn't going to be picked by what they say in the newspaper. I could give a damn what they're saying. Woods came off better in print, but he was all but invisible last year while Wesley was left out of position due to having to cover both safety spots. I didn't see one big hit out of Woods, and you'd think that extra money would be all the padding he needs. But we all know the story on that.

jspchief
04-04-2005, 07:50 AM
The starter isn't going to be picked by what they say in the newspaper. I could give a damn what they're saying. Woods came off better in print, but he was all but invisible last year while Wesley was left out of position due to having to cover both safety spots. I didn't see one big hit out of Woods, and you'd think that extra money would be all the padding he needs. But we all know the story on that.

He's doing the only thing he can do during the offseason, trying to get better and saying the right things while doing it. I agree it's worthless without results, but at least he acknowledges there was a problem, which is more than Wesley has done.

I don't buy the "Wesley sucked because he was covering for Woods" line. Every player has a job to do. You can't go around freelancing because you want to save the world. Even if that's what he was doing, he should have realized that it was doing more harm than good. Wesley was just as invisible as Woods was in '04. Further, the coaches have already said that they think he became complacent after his contract.

At the end of the day, the best player is going to get on the field, regardless of what they do or say this off season. But I have a lot more respect for the drive that Woods has displayed, and I have a feeling it will translate to Sundays.

StcChief
04-04-2005, 08:01 AM
Competition is a wonderful thing.

Ultra Peanut
04-04-2005, 09:08 AM
I believe in Romey.

King_Chief_Fan
04-04-2005, 10:22 AM
"I got away from that. I started listening to people who told me I needed picks and needed to make plays to make the Pro Bowl. I know what my strengths are, but I lost focus and tried to be something I'm not. I was an aggressive safety, and that's what I'm going to be again."

Trying to make the pro bowl? WTF. If this is all he is worried about, good luck somewhere else. I think his best days are way behind him. He will not be around in 2006 season.

Mr. Laz
04-04-2005, 10:28 AM
i'd like to know why it took a complete collapse for him to get a speed coach?

for that matter, why doesn't all of our secondary have speed coaches?

wide receivers too....

lazarus
~team still doesn't seem all that commited to winning to me~

|Zach|
04-04-2005, 10:29 AM
i'd like to know why it took a complete collapse for him to get a speed coach?

for that matter, why doesn't all of our secondary have speed coaches?

wide receivers too....

lazarus
~team still doesn't seem all that commited to winning to me~
He was coming off a pretty solid season the year before.

Mr. Laz
04-04-2005, 10:31 AM
He was coming off a pretty solid season the year before.
so he was "content" with his level of play

lazarus
~seems to be an organizational flaw from top to bottom~

|Zach|
04-04-2005, 10:36 AM
so he was "content" with his level of play

lazarus
~seems to be an organizational flaw from top to bottom~
ROFL

Ok, now you are being a sports talk radio genious.

His play was solid the year ebfore and he stunk it up this past year. He could do anything and say anything this offseason and you would be saying the same stuff. Which is fune because talk is cheap and we need results on the field.

The idea he could be doing something different this offseason that would show you he is committed to winning this offseason seems like a myth to me.

|Zach|
04-04-2005, 10:39 AM
Are there any players that had a good season last season that we can go ahead and criticize for being content and not getting a speed coach? At least we can call it out before it happens...

penguinz
04-04-2005, 10:40 AM
Are there any players that had a good season last season that we can go ahead and criticize for being content and not getting a speed coach? At least we can call it out before it happens...
Why the **** doesn;t Willie Roaf get a speed coach. What a lazy sob!

|Zach|
04-04-2005, 10:41 AM
Ha, now that would be quite a sight. ROFL

BigChiefFan
04-04-2005, 10:46 AM
I admire him trying. He shows he's got some heart, but I still suspect he's a goner.

Mr. Laz
04-04-2005, 10:48 AM
ROFL

Ok, now you are being a sports talk radio genious.

His play was solid the year ebfore and he stunk it up this past year. He could do anything and say anything this offseason and you would be saying the same stuff. Which is fune because talk is cheap and we need results on the field.

The idea he could be doing something different this offseason that would show you he is committed to winning this offseason seems like a myth to me.
heh ... say what you will :p

but if the team really is determine to win a super bowl they need to stop "standing pat" and being satisfied with their level of performance and just strive to be the best they can be.

|Zach|
04-04-2005, 10:50 AM
heh ... say what you will :p

but if the team really is determine to win a super bowl they need to stop "standing pat" and being satisfied with their level of performance and just strive to be the best they can be.
How is anyone standing pat?

Mr. Laz
04-04-2005, 11:15 AM
How is anyone standing pat?
what did we do last year after going 13-3?

what did woods do after going to his first pro bowl?

seems to me that complacency is a big issue with the chiefs organization.

|Zach|
04-04-2005, 11:35 AM
what did we do last year after going 13-3?

what did woods do after going to his first pro bowl?

seems to me that complacency is a big issue with the chiefs organization.
Whyu is your head still in the last offseason? I was referring to this one? :hmmm:

Pants
04-04-2005, 11:44 AM
Laz is the biggest f*cking pessimist I have ever seen. EVAR!

CASHMAN
04-04-2005, 12:07 PM
I have talked to JW a few times this off-season and he is very FIRED UP!!!! For this season to show that he still has it. Remember he had speed and all the tools before the injury and now he still has the tools but has lost maybe the speed and wants to and will get it back. I look forward to him being back to the ol-#21 we all know we want and he wants to be.
And yes anyone can talk all they want about what they are doing to get and be better but lets see it not hear it, and that is what he will show all of us this year. :thumb:

CASHMAN.

htismaqe
04-04-2005, 12:13 PM
I would have to say that Woods has the edge right now just because of his attitude. If Wesley wants to put in the work, I think he can win the job easily.

But his last interview didn't sound like a guy who is getting ready to compete for a spot, whereas Romey is working his ass off...

Lzen
04-04-2005, 12:36 PM
What can I say that hasn't already been said? I love his attitude and determination. That, IMO, will make a big difference in his play this season. Will that be enough to win the job? We'll see. Frankly, it looks to me like he will be better than G. Wes. unless GW sees the writing on the wall and has a change in attitude.

whoman69
04-04-2005, 01:07 PM
ROFL That would be like putting a super charger in a model T or a jet engine on a Sopwith Camel.

Mr. Laz
04-04-2005, 02:34 PM
Whyu is your head still in the last offseason? I was referring to this one? :hmmm:
we were discussing the organizations tendency to be complacent.

i gave a few recent examples

Mr. Laz
04-04-2005, 02:35 PM
Laz is the biggest f*cking pessimist I have ever seen. EVAR!
i can't help it if you think reality is pessimistic

|Zach|
04-04-2005, 02:35 PM
we were discussing the organizations tendency to be complacent.

i gave a few recent examples
You were responding to a post where I was saying that no matter what he did this offseason you would label him as not doing enough to be committed to winning. :hmmm:

|Zach|
04-04-2005, 02:37 PM
I went to lunch with some friends today and the image of Roaf working with a speed coach popped into my head. I just started laughing...

The girl at the table asked me what was so funny. I thought of explaining it at first but decided not to.

"Um, nothing." ROFL

ENDelt260
04-04-2005, 02:38 PM
The girl at the table asked me what was so funny. I thought of explaining it at first but decided not to.

"Um, nothing." ROFL

Which led her to assume you were laughing at her fat ass. Right now she's looking in the mirror obsessing, and contemplating regurgitating that lunch.

Way to go. Insensitive bastard.

|Zach|
04-04-2005, 02:43 PM
Which led her to assume you were laughing at her fat ass. Right now she's looking in the mirror obsessing, and contemplating regurgitating that lunch.

Way to go. Insensitive bastard.
Nah it is way worse with this girl...she is good looking and she knows it. Good kid though.

Acutally lunch was great I caught up with a lot of folks I had not seen in a long time.

ENDelt260
04-04-2005, 02:45 PM
Nah it is way worse with this girl...she is good looking and she knows it. Good kid though.

Could be worse... in Rolla girls who are simply not completely unattractive get big heads cause that pretty much makes them queen of the town.

I do get a chuckle out of thinking about them getting bitchslapped back to reality when they moved to a real city, though.

|Zach|
04-04-2005, 02:46 PM
Could be worse... in Rolla girls who are simply not completely unattractive get big heads cause that pretty much makes them queen of the town.

I do get a chuckle out of thinking about them getting bitchslapped back to reality when they moved to a real city, though.
ROFL I never thought about that.

What a culture shock.

Mr. Laz
04-04-2005, 03:25 PM
You were responding to a post where I was saying that no matter what he did this offseason you would label him as not doing enough to be committed to winning. :hmmm:
did someone drop you on your head as a small child or have you started drinking already? :hmmm:

lets review for the melon damaged people...

i commented that it was disappointing that it took the threat of losing his job for woods to hire a speed coach.

you responded with the excuse that "He was coming off a pretty solid season the year before." as some kind of reasoning why he wouldn't hire a speed coach for general play improvement each year.

the complacency that Woods displays is just an small example of a larger problem of complacency throughout the entire organization.

you posted some typically "you'll never be satisfied with anything" gibberish when you apparently didn't have an answer.

so i gave examples about how the organization HAD been complacent by standing pat after having a good seasons in the past.

you apparently lost your short term memory and said "How is anyone standing pat?

i gave specific examples how they organization had stood pat

apparently now completely drunk or in full "who's on first,what's on 2nd"
spin mode ... you brings out the ol' "Whyu is your head still in the last offseason? I was referring to this one?"

being satisfied, being complacent is major problem with the Chiefs. In fact it may be THE single biggest problem preventing success.

why i'm explaining this i don't know... people won't understand things they CHOOSE not to try and understand, so whatever.

philfree
04-04-2005, 04:43 PM
did someone drop you on your head as a small child or have you started drinking already? :hmmm:

lets review for the melon damaged people...

i commented that it was disappointing that it took the threat of losing his job for woods to hire a speed coach.

you responded with the excuse that "He was coming off a pretty solid season the year before." as some kind of reasoning why he wouldn't hire a speed coach for general play improvement each year.

the complacency that Woods displays is just an small example of a larger problem of complacency throughout the entire organization.

you posted some typically "you'll never be satisfied with anything" gibberish when you apparently didn't have an answer.

so i gave examples about how the organization HAD been complacent by standing pat after having a good seasons in the past.

you apparently lost your short term memory and said "How is anyone standing pat?

i gave specific examples how they organization had stood pat

apparently now completely drunk or in full "who's on first,what's on 2nd"
spin mode ... you brings out the ol' "Whyu is your head still in the last offseason? I was referring to this one?"

being satisfied, being complacent is major problem with the Chiefs. In fact it may be THE single biggest problem preventing success.

why i'm explaining this i don't know... people won't understand things they CHOOSE not to try and understand, so whatever.

How was Woods complacent? How can a defensive player on one of the worst Ds in the league be complacent? Woods said he lost focus and and now he's trying to correct it. I wonder how many starting players actualy higher a speed coach is the offseason. I sure some players do but I bet it's not that big of a percentage. I want some real examples of the complacentcy.(sp?) The only example I can think of is the Sims/Hicks conflict.

PhilFree:arrow:

philfree
04-04-2005, 04:46 PM
being satisfied, being complacent is major problem with the Chiefs.

I think being satisfied and being complacent are two totally different things. I don't think anyone on our D has been satisfied the last couple of years and they haven't been good enough to ever grow complacent.

PhilFree :arrow:

LiL stumppy
04-04-2005, 04:56 PM
Im glad hes stepping up,if he becomes the old Woods again,we will have a good safty combo.

milkman
04-04-2005, 08:23 PM
Hey Laz, did it ever occur to you that Woods didn't realize he needed a speed coach?

You can't say with any certainty that he wasn't working out in the previous offseason, and speed had never been an issue before.

Hell, for all we know, he lost some of his speed as a result of workouts to strengthen his legs.

I think we should look at the things he's doing, and respect the fact that he didn't need Knight's signing to motivate him.

He realized there was a problem, and chose to address it, without any outside factor.

I'm betting he's always been self motivated, and that this offseason program is just a shift in priorities in his regiman.

I'm rooting for him.

milkman
04-04-2005, 08:30 PM

He may not have fostered that attitude, but the fact that he has this lovefest with a player like Eric Hicks suggests that, in some ways, does create an atmosphere where that attitude is fostered.

The fact that the Chiefs stood pat after '03 also contributed to that attitude.

The fact that the only players he ever seems to openly critisize is punters and kickers also contributes to that attitude.

He may not "foster" that attitude, but his entire approach creates that attitude.

mcan
04-04-2005, 11:18 PM
He may not have fostered that attitude, but the fact that he has this lovefest with a player like Eric Hicks suggests that, in some ways, does create an atmosphere where that attitude is fostered.

The fact that the Chiefs stood pat after '03 also contributed to that attitude.

The fact that the only players he ever seems to openly critisize is punters and kickers also contributes to that attitude.

He may not "foster" that attitude, but his entire approach creates that attitude.

I disagree, and can think of several examples where he has acted contrary to your "facts."

1. I've never heard Dick Vermeil talk about his specific love for Eric Hicks. Don't know where you get that idea other than the fact that he's still on the team, and people here think he's a terrible player.

2. On the other hand, I've heard Gunther call Jerome Woods by pet names and verbalize on several occaisions how much he loves the guy. But, they made no bones about it, and said that he sucked last year. Even sent him a tape of nothing but mistakes that he made to motivate him. Then they signed another safety and said, "you're now competing with Wesley for your job."

3. I've heard Dick Vermeil publicly call out: Larry Johnson, Johnnie Morton, Eric Warfield, Jason Baker, Referees, the NFL head office... The only person that I can think of that he's ever protected too much was Greg R0binson. I believe he did that because in his mind the performance of HIS staff is a reflection on him. So when the defense sucked, he said, "It all starts with me. I'm the one responsible." That's a true leader IMO.

4. After '03 he decided that the best approach was to see how these players would respond to a new defensive scheme. The plan didn't work. Now that it's obvious that we need new players too, we're doing just that.

milkman
04-05-2005, 06:57 PM
I disagree, and can think of several examples where he has acted contrary to your "facts."

1. I've never heard Dick Vermeil talk about his specific love for Eric Hicks. Don't know where you get that idea other than the fact that he's still on the team, and people here think he's a terrible player.

Without the search function, I can't find the articles where Dick is heaping praise on Hicks.

[2. On the other hand, I've heard Gunther call Jerome Woods by pet names and verbalize on several occaisions how much he loves the guy. But, they made no bones about it, and said that he sucked last year. Even sent him a tape of nothing but mistakes that he made to motivate him. Then they signed another safety and said, "you're now competing with Wesley for your job."

I really don't remember Dick critisizing Woods specificly, but I'll take your word on it, and give props to Dick for waking the **** up.

3. I've heard Dick Vermeil publicly call out: Larry Johnson, Johnnie Morton, Eric Warfield, Jason Baker, Referees, the NFL head office... The only person that I can think of that he's ever protected too much was Greg R0binson. I believe he did that because in his mind the performance of HIS staff is a reflection on him. So when the defense sucked, he said, "It all starts with me. I'm the one responsible." That's a true leader IMO.

I do recall Dick complaining about Morton's injury, but never about his play.
Again, however, I'll take your word for it, and congratulate Dick for seeing what eveyone else saw, finally.

4. After '03 he decided that the best approach was to see how these players would respond to a new defensive scheme. The plan didn't work. Now that it's obvious that we need new players too, we're doing just that.

After the season ended, it sounded, from what I can recall, like Dick was willing to stand pat, and that Carl and Gun were the driving forces behind the Chiefs desire to upgrade talent.

But I'm not going to discount the possibility that I'm wrong.
I'll even go so far as to say that I'm negatively biased when it comes to Dick, so I may be seeing things differently than they really are.

Oh, and just for the record, that diaper comment about LJ may have been the worst motivational ploy ever.
I also doubt that LJ needed the motivation.

All he really needed, in retrospect, was a real oppotunity to show what he could do, and Dick and Al never gave him that oppoportunity until injuries made it a necessity.

Another Dick shortcoming.

mcan
04-05-2005, 07:21 PM
Without the search function, I can't find the articles where Dick is heaping praise on Hicks....

....I do recall Dick complaining about Morton's injury, but never about his play.

...Oh, and just for the record, that diaper comment about LJ may have been the worst motivational ploy ever.
I also doubt that LJ needed the motivation.

All he really needed, in retrospect, was a real oppotunity to show what he could do, and Dick and Al never gave him that oppoportunity until injuries made it a necessity.

Another Dick shortcoming.

I actually do remember vaguely some comments by Dick on 101 The Fox that Eric Hicks was very professional and that he said he wanted to be a leader on this defense (this was about two years ago though).

On Morton, Dick was VERY upset with him in a post game interview one time and said something like, "Yeah, and I'm also frustrated that the only way we can get the ball into his hands is if we give it to him on a reverse!" I think he even slammed his fist or swore or something, because I remember thinking "jeez that guy is pissed."

With LJ, they never doubted his talent. The "diaper" thing was because he wasn't focusing in practice. He had been on the team for months and still was missing assignments (blocking and route running). Basically he never took the time to learn the plays, and was bitching about his playing time. When Priest first went down, they didn't even want to play him for fear that Trent would get killed. But then Blaylock got hurt too, so they eased him into it. We saw some real ability, but that's the reason he was drafted. It's still no excuse for his inability to pick up a blitz in practice.

philfree
04-05-2005, 07:22 PM
Oh, and just for the record, that diaper comment about LJ may have been the worst motivational ploy ever.

Well the results certainly don't illustrate that. IMO LJ was being pissy because he wasn't handed Blaylocks job. Blaylock is a better change of pace then LJ and a very good reviever which is important in our offense. LJ is a better starter at RB but we had a starter. Blaylock also excells at STs which is another reason why he was ahead of LJ on the depth chart. LJ was complacent...........Still after all of that i still don't think the diaper comment was calling LJ out. DV was saying that as a matter of fact and it was. Young guys were about to be called on and they needed to step up. The whole diaper thing was so blown out of proportion.........It was fuggin ridiculous.............The KC press did their best to instigate a situation and apparently some folks are still biting on it.

philfree
04-05-2005, 07:24 PM
DV praises Hicks becuase no matter what he shows up and goes to work. It's that simple.

milkman
04-05-2005, 07:47 PM
DV praises Hicks becuase no matter what he shows up and goes to work. It's that simple.

I really don't give a damn if he spends 24 hrs a day at work.
I want production on the field, and that is exactly what Dick should expect.

Hicks is a useless piece of shit and needs to be replaced.

milkman
04-05-2005, 07:51 PM
Well the results certainly don't illustrate that. IMO LJ was being pissy because he wasn't handed Blaylocks job. Blaylock is a better change of pace then LJ and a very good reviever which is important in our offense. LJ is a better starter at RB but we had a starter. Blaylock also excells at STs which is another reason why he was ahead of LJ on the depth chart. LJ was complacent...........Still after all of that i still don't think the diaper comment was calling LJ out. DV was saying that as a matter of fact and it was. Young guys were about to be called on and they needed to step up. The whole diaper thing was so blown out of proportion.........It was fuggin ridiculous.............The KC press did their best to instigate a situation and apparently some folks are still biting on it.

I think the comment was entirely unnecessary.
I think that LJ had every right to be pissed off about it.

And how exactly can a player be complacent if he isn't being given any playing time?

He might have been upset about not playing, but I highly doubt complacency was a problem.

philfree
04-05-2005, 07:58 PM
I really don't give a damn if he spends 24 hrs a day at work.
I want production on the field, and that is exactly what Dick should expect.

Hicks is a useless piece of shit and needs to be replaced.

So who should have repalced hicks last year?

Man it really bugs me when people refer to others as a piece of shit. I've hesitated to post my feelings on this. I don't know I just think it sucks........I guarantee when he was racking up 14 sacks nobody refered to him as POS.

milkman
04-05-2005, 08:03 PM
So who should have repalced hicks last year?

Man it really bugs me when people refer to others as a piece of shit. I've hesitated to post my feelings on this. I don't know I just think it sucks........I guarantee when he was racking up 14 sacks nobody refered to him as POS.

OK, how about "his production was shit"?

John Browniing could/should have replaced him.

milkman
04-05-2005, 08:04 PM
Also Phil, with the way our season went, we should have put Wilkerson in to get him some time and experience, and to see if he has anything to offer.

philfree
04-06-2005, 01:07 AM
OK, how about "his production was shit"?

John Browniing could/should have replaced him.

That's prolly accurate.

Also Phil, with the way our season went, we should have put Wilkerson in to get him some time and experience, and to see if he has anything to offer.

I think he did a few reps........Not many though. IMO that's up to the DC. I'm not defending Hicks as much as I am just looking at the roster. Since you mentioned Browning at DE though I think if we added another DT we could move JB to DE. If we end up with a 2nd round pick I want Mike Patterson. That is if our CB issues are solved.....

htismaqe
04-06-2005, 07:57 AM
Sorry, but football, like any other business, is about results.

Working hard is NOT enough. I've known lots of people in my business that work 12 hours a day and they're the 1st ones cut during layoffs.

At some point, you have to display TALENT.

**** Eric Hicks.