PDA

View Full Version : House Crap (Again)


Hoover
04-04-2005, 11:14 AM
Ok, so I made an offer on Friday. I think I made a mistake by giving them 72 Hours to get back to me.

How long should you give them, 24 hours?

Anyway, I don't know what to think. If it was too low they would have rejected right away correct? This sucks.

Any advise out there?

|Zach|
04-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Get a hot chicks room.

Rain Man
04-04-2005, 11:16 AM
My advice is to sit tight. They want to sell the house, and you're the only buyer. You hold all the cards.

Simplex3
04-04-2005, 11:17 AM
Sit back and chill. It's all you can do. Some people correctly view their home as an asset to be negotiated, some people expect you to pay for their sentimental value. Nothing you can do but grab a brew and ride it out.

|Zach|
04-04-2005, 11:18 AM
My advice is to sit tight. They want to sell the house, and you're the only buyer. You hold all the cards.
http://www.oberthurgt.com/eng/news/press/images/uno_cards.gif

Phobia
04-04-2005, 11:19 AM
You should take it out on the little old ladies in the mail room.

Regards,

Skip Towne

Iowanian
04-04-2005, 11:19 AM
I gave my offer friday at 11:30, the offer sheet gave them until 1pm saturday..........They had countered by 12:30, I countered with a "take it or have a nice life" and at 1:30, owned the house....papers signed by 4, pending closing.

The Wife emailed earlier, and a co-worker of hers had put an offer for $4k more and had been rejected 3 weeks earlier.

Its all timing...they were nearing the end of the contract with the realtor, packing 2 mortgages in a month.......they had the realtor call me to see if we were going to make an offer, I waited 3 days and Blam!

If the owner makes that "uhh" sound when signing....you got a good deal.

I cut to the bone on my offer on their house because they needed to sell it.....I don't HAVE to sell mine, so I won't budge far from my asking price.

Hoover
04-04-2005, 11:25 AM
I'm just pissed I gave them 72 hours.

I know I hold the cards, I don't have to buy crap. But If they were going to counter, I thought I'd have it by now.

trndobrd
04-04-2005, 11:25 AM
72 hours is plenty of time to send a couple of your boys over to their place to help them 'make up their minds'.

Iowanian
04-04-2005, 11:45 AM
I'm guessing its one of 3 things.
1. They're out of town and haven't seen it until maybe this morning
2. They're trying to sweat you, and will come back with a counter closer to asking
3. They are disagreeing over accepting/countering your offer(if more than 1)

Hoover
04-04-2005, 12:10 PM
I'm guessing its one of 3 things.
1. They're out of town and haven't seen it until maybe this morning
2. They're trying to sweat you, and will come back with a counter closer to asking
3. They are disagreeing over accepting/countering your offer(if more than 1)
They were in town this weekend. (got to love small towns)

In our offer my wife included their wicker porch furnature, and the two pieces that they had in their new house was in the back of their pickup today. I think that could be a good sign.

I'll be thrilled if they take my offer.

Hoover
04-04-2005, 02:57 PM
Update:

So they sent me a couter offer. Full Asking price, but they would put on new soffitt.

I wrote hell no on the cover sheet and faxed it back.

The realtor just left a voice mail on my cell phone.

Rain Man
04-04-2005, 03:07 PM
Update:

So they sent me a couter offer. Full Asking price, but they would put on new soffitt.

I wrote hell no on the cover sheet and faxed it back.

The realtor just left a voice mail on my cell phone.


Well, now you know why it's been on the market forever. If they're not going to be reasonable, tell them that they can accept your offer any time, but that you can void it WHEN you find another home that you like better. Then go as silent as a satellite that was designed in metric and look for another house. They want to sell more than you want to buy; I guarantee it, so a couple of weeks of silence will be worth a lot of money unless they're just insane.

I tried to buy an office about a year and a half ago. When we arrived on the scene, the selling Realtor (who was truly an unimpressive individual) said that they'd just had two offers get pulled "because the buyers were being completely unreasonable." We put in an offer on the place, and someone - either the Realtor or the seller - was an idiot, because they did this kind of thing, too - counteroffering with their original asking price, not conceding even on small items that didn't hurt them and would help us, etc. We finally pulled our offer. 18 months later, it's still for sale, and I chuckle whenever I drive by. We ended up with a much better space, and they're still sitting on a large investment that's costing them a ton of money every month.

Hoover
04-04-2005, 03:08 PM
So she just called my office said "I take it you didn't like the counter offer" Umm No. Then she said well they didn't like your offer either, it was to low, then asked if I wanted to make a counter offer, I said I'm not sure and I'll talk to my wife tonight.

I'm going to let them sit on the damn thing for another month and if it sells o-well.

penguinz
04-04-2005, 03:32 PM
The good thing is that since they countered back to you they are legally binded to wait for your decision. They can not negotiate with anyone else until you counter, decline, or the time alloted for your counter has passed. Make them sweat it out until the end then counter back or decline.

Hoover
04-04-2005, 03:37 PM
The good thing is that since they countered back to you they are legally binded to wait for your decision. They can not negotiate with anyone else until you counter, decline, or the time alloted for your counter has passed. Make them sweat it out until the end then counter back or decline.
Thats not how the counter contract was worded so I faxed it back 1 minute after I got it.

Phobia
04-04-2005, 05:03 PM
The good thing is that since they countered back to you they are legally binded to wait for your decision. They can not negotiate with anyone else until you counter, decline, or the time alloted for your counter has passed. Make them sweat it out until the end then counter back or decline.

I think "Hell NO!" kinda releases them from that obligation.

Logical
04-04-2005, 05:07 PM
I Should have read the thread first.

Logical
04-04-2005, 05:09 PM
So she just called my office said "I take it you didn't like the counter offer" Umm No. Then she said well they didn't like your offer either, it was to low, then asked if I wanted to make a counter offer, I said I'm not sure and I'll talk to my wife tonight.

I'm going to let them sit on the damn thing for another month and if it sells o-well.

It is nice you have the luxury of not needing to buy. Good luck and I hope they come down in price for you.

penguinz
04-04-2005, 05:11 PM
I think "Hell NO!" kinda releases them from that obligation.
Yes it would.

Hoover
04-04-2005, 05:23 PM
It is nice you have the luxury of not needing to buy. Good luck and I hope they come down in price for you.
I know, I'm just going to wait it out and see what else comes on the market

Dave Lane
04-04-2005, 05:36 PM
The good thing is that since they countered back to you they are legally binded to wait for your decision. They can not negotiate with anyone else until you counter, decline, or the time alloted for your counter has passed. Make them sweat it out until the end then counter back or decline.

Thats not true but its a nice thought.

Dave

Iowanian
04-04-2005, 07:55 PM
Don't overpay Hoover......

I think this tells you why such a house has been on the market for so long.

Hell No is pretty mild to what your response, as I might have been inclined to save a sheet or two of Toiletpaper and mailed it back to them.

I'm a poker player in business situations....this is where I either fold or go all in. Go look at other houses, or raise your offer $5k and tell them its good for 1 week, take it or leave it.

Hoover
04-04-2005, 08:02 PM
Don't overpay Hoover......

I think this tells you why such a house has been on the market for so long.

Hell No is pretty mild to what your response, as I might have been inclined to save a sheet or two of Toiletpaper and mailed it back to them.

I'm a poker player in business situations....this is where I either fold or go all in. Go look at other houses, or raise your offer $5k and tell them its good for 1 week, take it or leave it.
Yeah, I play poker is business relations too.

I don't want to just keep throwing out numbers hoping they take one. I will not overpay, thats just stupid. I would like to make them sit on the damn thing for another month, then make a new offer.

What would you do, make one last offer now? Or make them wait a month and look at other homes during that time?

Iowanian
04-04-2005, 08:09 PM
Let them sweat it for a month isn't a bad move.

Both sides have to be willing to make a deal happen or 1 side has to agree to take a horsehose in the poo-cutter. I Do my best to avoid being the ass-holster of that Shotgun.

They're the ones paying an extra mortgage. Eventually, they'll tire of that I'd think.

I don't know how much under asking you are offering, but any counter "I" would make would definitely be on "my side' of the halfway point....with a "take it or have a nice life" understanding with the Realtor.

The problem is, you have to be willing to stick to your guns if you make the statement.

Rain Man
04-04-2005, 08:14 PM
Yeah, I play poker is business relations too.

I don't want to just keep throwing out numbers hoping they take one. I will not overpay, thats just stupid. I would like to make them sit on the damn thing for another month, then make a new offer.

What would you do, make one last offer now? Or make them wait a month and look at other homes during that time?


How badly do you want that house?

Hoover
04-04-2005, 08:28 PM
Let them sweat it for a month isn't a bad move.

Both sides have to be willing to make a deal happen or 1 side has to agree to take a horsehose in the poo-cutter. I Do my best to avoid being the ass-holster of that Shotgun.

They're the ones paying an extra mortgage. Eventually, they'll tire of that I'd think.

I don't know how much under asking you are offering, but any counter "I" would make would definitely be on "my side' of the halfway point....with a "take it or have a nice life" understanding with the Realtor.

The problem is, you have to be willing to stick to your guns if you make the statement.
No I agree.

I came in right at the acessed value, which was low, but had to be in the ball park.

Hoover
04-04-2005, 08:30 PM
How badly do you want that house?
Me: If I get it for the right price I'd be thrilled. Its really what I want. But on the other hand I have a great deal I'm in now (I pay hardley anything) and I could sock it away and buy something a year from now, or build a house.

My Wife: Really, really wants it.

Fat Elvis
04-04-2005, 09:11 PM
Hoover screwed up.

You could of bought Ralphie's house in December. Of course you prolly would of shot your eye out.

http://acs.flicklives.com/house/house.htm

penguinz
04-04-2005, 09:13 PM
Thats not true but its a nice thought.

DaveIt may be different elsewhere but in Missouri if you counter you are locked in until the other accepts, counters or rejects your offer.

Phobia
04-04-2005, 09:18 PM
It may be different elsewhere but in Missouri if you counter you are locked in until the other accepts, counters or rejects your offer.

I don't know what you do for a living, but Dave buys and sells houses on a weekly basis. I'd be inclined to say he is quite credible - both in MO and KS.

penguinz
04-04-2005, 09:22 PM
I am just going buy what my broker told me last year when we were going thru this process.