PDA

View Full Version : Another proven innocent

Ghostof
04-04-2005, 03:47 PM
Man freed after serving 13 years for woman's death

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/04/03/man.exonerated.ap/index.html

GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan (AP) -- A man has been freed after 13 years in prison for a death authorities thought was caused by a blow from a whiskey bottle, but which new evidence suggests happened when the victim was hit by a motor home.

Larry Souter, 53, was tried in 1992 and sentenced to 20 to 60 years in prison for the death of 19-year-old Kristy Ringler. She was found in the middle of a road in 1979 and later died from head wounds.

"I'm not a bitter person," Souter said after his release Friday. "I'm very excited and very emotional. I had a lot of support behind me."

According to court testimony, Souter and Ringler met at a bar and later attended a party. He said she decided to walk along the highway after she refused to let him drive her home. Souter said he returned to the party.

For years, medical experts disagreed about how Ringler was injured. One said she was probably hit by a vehicle, another said the wound matched the shape of a whiskey bottle found on the road nearby.

In January, the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals found "sufficient doubt" about Souter's guilt to order a federal judge to determine if he deserved a new trial.

Then a new witness came forward.

The woman, whose name has been sealed by the judge, read about Souter's appeal and recalled that her father's motor home had a broken mirror in 1979 and he had refused to talk about how it was damaged.

Police records show that the woman's father also told investigators he had driven on the road where Ringler was hurt around the same time her body was found, Souter's attorney John Smietanka said.

The woman's father died about five years ago.

I wonder how many other innocent individuals have been sent to rot in our prison systems or even on death row.

Lzen
04-04-2005, 03:55 PM
Hmm, that's interesting. But shouldn't this be in the political forum?

Radar Chief
04-04-2005, 04:20 PM

Agreed. This topic would get much more traffic over there. Here itís more likely to just fall to the bottom.

Pants
04-04-2005, 04:48 PM
I love how the guys are never bitter. I'd be pissed as f*ck and demanding millions from the state.

Rain Man
04-04-2005, 04:51 PM
I love how the guys are never bitter. I'd be pissed as f*ck and demanding millions from the state.

That's probably why he's not bitter. He's going to make more money than he ever would've outside the joint, and he'll get it in one lump sum.

Rain Man
04-04-2005, 04:52 PM

I'd prefer that it remain here in the sociological forum. I don't visit the political forum very often.

Ultra Peanut
04-04-2005, 04:56 PM
Hmm, that's interesting. But shouldn't this be in the political forum?Why?

KCChiefsMan
04-04-2005, 05:42 PM
If that happened to me, I would raise all hell! I can't imagine what I would have done in that situation. That would suck!

KCWolfman
04-04-2005, 05:45 PM
That's probably why he's not bitter. He's going to make more money than he ever would've outside the joint, and he'll get it in one lump sum.
I don't believe he can sue anyone.

This issue has come up before and while the state or federal authorities do all they can to assist the person, they are not liable for the incarceration.

Rain Man
04-04-2005, 05:54 PM
I don't believe he can sue anyone.

This issue has come up before and while the state or federal authorities do all they can to assist the person, they are not liable for the incarceration.

Wow. Seriously? This is one of those instances where I think the person should be able to take home a big bag with a dollar sign painted on it.

KCWolfman
04-04-2005, 05:57 PM
Wow. Seriously? This is one of those instances where I think the person should be able to take home a big bag with a dollar sign painted on it.
How could you hold the state responsible? They were merely fulfilling the task required of them by jurors and judge.

Demonpenz
04-04-2005, 05:59 PM
How could you hold the state responsible? They were merely fulfilling the task required of them by jurors and judge.

easy give them a shit ton of money

Rain Man
04-04-2005, 06:26 PM

That's a good point. My gut reaction is that they were wrongly prosecuted (which is true), but it's the jury's fault that they were convicted.

And if he can sue the jury, I'm going to make darn sure to share my theories about alien infiltration of the doughnut industry the next time I get called to jury duty.