PDA

View Full Version : Peter King tells like it is about the Donk's new Dline

COchief
04-04-2005, 09:02 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/peter_king/04/04/mmqb.steroids/2.html

Small snippet from MMQB about the Donk's pathetic offseason of 1st round busts. Sometimes I hate King, but other times he nails it. :thumb:

"In the span of one month, the Denver Broncos have acquired four-tenths of the Cleveland Browns defensive line -- Ebenezer Ekuban, Gerard Warren, Courtney Brown and Michael Myers. Myers, Ekuban and Warren were ranked 4-5-6 on the line in tackles.

In 2004, the Browns were 32nd in the NFL defending the run. Denver was fourth.

This is circumstantial, obviously. But how will the Broncos get better on defense if half their defensive line in 2005 turns out to be the backbone of the worst rushing defense in football in 2004?

One other interesting point: The four Browns linemen I've mentioned played in a total of 44 games for Cleveland last year. They had 132 tackles and 13 sacks in 2004. But if you look at clevelandbrowns.com, you'd never know they suited up for the Browns last fall. On the page with defensive stats for 2004, the exploits of Brown, Warren, Ekuban and Myers have been stricken. Their stat lines don't exist.

I've heard of rewriting history, but that's ridiculous. And very small."

ChiefsCountry
04-04-2005, 09:04 PM
I wonder if he is going to pick Plummer again for MVP.

milkman
04-04-2005, 09:07 PM
Even blowhards like King can sometimes grasp the obvious.

Mile High Mania
04-04-2005, 09:28 PM
Change of scenery is good sometimes... eh, that's all I got.

Taco John
04-04-2005, 09:32 PM
I personally think we're having a great offseason. I really think we're going to have a substantially improved defensive line. Of course, that's considering that Trevor is in talks right now to restructure his deal. We'll see what happens, but if he comes back, I think we'll be top five once again on defense.

jspchief
04-04-2005, 09:38 PM
Peter King is a douche bag. I'm not going to give him any sort of props just because he rips a team I don't like...it's just too hypocritical.

Kclee
04-04-2005, 09:42 PM
I really think we're going to have a substantially improved defensive line.

I agree. I'm going to bank on that comment. Those ex-brown D-lineman are nails.

InChiefsHell
04-04-2005, 10:04 PM
I personally think we're having a great offseason.

Of course you do...does that mean that you are going to call it again? Jake will be dedicating the Lombardi Trophy to (fill in the blank?)...bank on it...
:p

Hercules Rockefell
04-04-2005, 10:11 PM
I didn't know the DL was solely responsible for the rush defense of an NFL team. There wasn't one Brown LB or DB who would have started for Denver last year, and I'd bet that Hayward was the only Bronco DL who would have started for Cleveland.

jspchief
04-04-2005, 10:22 PM
I didn't know the DL was solely responsible for the rush defense of an NFL team. There wasn't one Brown LB or DB who would have started for Denver last year, and I'd bet that Hayward was the only Bronco DL who would have started for Cleveland.

Taco must teach advanced spinning over at the Mange...

RINGLEADER
04-04-2005, 10:34 PM
I wonder if he is going to pick Plummer again for MVP.

At least last year he said he wouldn't come on until very late. Bought himself a couple of months but, ultimately, he was still wrong.

chiefsfolife
04-04-2005, 10:42 PM
broncos may finish even below the Raiders this season

Hercules Rockefell
04-04-2005, 10:48 PM
Taco must teach advanced spinning over at the Mange...

Translation: I can't think of one of Cleveland's back 7 last year who would start for Denver, or one of Denver's DL besides Hayward who would have started for Cleveland.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-04-2005, 10:57 PM
broncos may finish even below the Raiders this season

I'd put money on that. NFL.com had a poll on the rumor list as to who would win the AFC west. KC ahead by a country mile, and Denver down by the same margin. Denver was picked to finish last by a huge amount of people. I don't see them winning more than 6 games. The only one who can say that is just an idiotic statement is a donkeys fan

Hercules Rockefell
04-04-2005, 11:04 PM
Good logic. The question was who do people think would win the West, and you were able to infer from it that the people think that the team who received the fewest votes is the one they think will finish last.

Count Zarth
04-04-2005, 11:10 PM
What the hell is Taco smoking? Maybe he thinks the Broncos should bring in the Chiefs secondary next?

Mark M
04-05-2005, 06:59 AM
I personally think we're having a great offseason.

Is that like you personally thinking that Jake Plummer is "nails?"

Is that like you personally thinking that Priest Holmes is "done, finsihed, finito?"

Is that like you personally thinking that you had the correct player in your signature?

MM
~~ROFL

whoman69
04-05-2005, 07:22 AM
I personally think we're having a great offseason. I really think we're going to have a substantially improved defensive line. Of course, that's considering that Trevor is in talks right now to restructure his deal. We'll see what happens, but if he comes back, I think we'll be top five once again on defense.
Are you kidding. What's next, trying to get Robinson back as your DC?

jspchief
04-05-2005, 08:08 AM
Translation: I can't think of one of Cleveland's back 7 last year who would start for Denver, or one of Denver's DL besides Hayward who would have started for Cleveland.

No....

Translation: Regardless of who was behind Cleveland's D-line, the Browns D-line still sucked. In fact, I'd probably argue that that back seven had more talent than the D-line, with Griffith, Henry, and McCutcheon in the secondary. Besides, that doesn't explain them sucking for 5 years now. It also doesn't explain why Ekuban and Myers sucked in Dallas.

I guess everything will be fine now that they're lining up on Sundays with Jesus Bailey. With him shutting down the likes of Chad Johnson and Ronald Curry, these "never-weres" will become pro-bowlers....:rolleyes:

ChiTown
04-05-2005, 08:13 AM
Is that like you personally thinking that Jake Plummer is "nails?"

Is that like you personally thinking that Priest Holmes is "done, finsihed, finito?"

Is that like you personally thinking that you had the correct player in your signature?

MM
~~ROFL

LMAO

TBell is the retards version of Nostradamus

Hercules Rockefell
04-05-2005, 09:53 AM
No....

Translation: Regardless of who was behind Cleveland's D-line, the Browns D-line still sucked. In fact, I'd probably argue that that back seven had more talent than the D-line, with Griffith, Henry, and McCutcheon in the secondary. Besides, that doesn't explain them sucking for 5 years now. It also doesn't explain why Ekuban and Myers sucked in Dallas.

Maybe you should re-read my original post since you've now twice failed to answer the 2 questions I asked, and in this post couldn't even make the correct comparison.

I never said Cleveland's back 7 was less talented than their front 4. I didn't even compare their front 4 to their back 7. I asked if any of those 7 would have started for Denver last season. Than I proceeded to ask if any of Denver's DL starters from last season, besides Heyward, who would have started for Cleveland last season.

vailpass
04-05-2005, 09:58 AM
I'd put money on that. NFL.com had a poll on the rumor list as to who would win the AFC west. KC ahead by a country mile, and Denver down by the same margin. Denver was picked to finish last by a huge amount of people. I don't see them winning more than 6 games. The only one who can say that is just an idiotic statement is a donkeys fan

Isn't that pretty much what all the "experts" were predicting last year for the AFC West? KC in first, then Oakland, Denver, San Diego. Remind me, what was the actual finishing order in the division?

jspchief
04-05-2005, 10:51 AM
Maybe you should re-read my original post since you've now twice failed to answer the 2 questions I asked, and in this post couldn't even make the correct comparison.

I never said Cleveland's back 7 was less talented than their front 4. I didn't even compare their front 4 to their back 7. I asked if any of those 7 would have started for Denver last season. Than I proceeded to ask if any of Denver's DL starters from last season, besides Heyward, who would have started for Cleveland last season.

You're still deflecting from the point of the article, which that you signed a bunch of FA bums and never-beens.

I don't give a sh*t how the two teams would interchange, it doesn't make any of those players any better than they are.

Personally, I can see getting one or two of these guys in an attempt to upgrade your d-line, but I'm baffled by you bringing in damn near the entire unit. It's that much worse when you consider that you've made a habit of letting your best past rusher get away. Denver has built their d-line by shopping at garage sales, while throwing their productive players to the curb.

Mile High Mania
04-05-2005, 11:07 AM
I am not all that impressed with bringing over the 4 guys... I think Warren and Brown have potential to be worth the minimal investment. The other two spares did nothing in Dallas and little in CLE, other than the 8 sacks for EE. So, who knows.

Two are potential starters and two are rotational depth, so from that point... whether they brought in 4 from the same team or 4 guys that have proved nothing to play those roles, I don't see that it matters much.

EE and MM will rotate with the guys Denver already has on the line... depth is key, so we'll see what happens. If Pryce stays and is healthy, I like that a lot.