PDA

View Full Version : What is with people lining up to view famous dead people they never met?

Logical
04-05-2005, 12:02 AM
Does not matter who, Princess Di, John Lennon, a President or a Pope. It just makes no sense to me.

Anyone got any insights? Anyone ever done it?

Phobia
04-05-2005, 12:03 AM
Never done it. Never considered it. Probably never will.

BIG_DADDY
04-05-2005, 12:06 AM
What's with people that wale about people who that they neer met? :shrug: I never got that either.

Logical
04-05-2005, 12:08 AM
What's with people that wale about people who that they neer met? :shrug: I never got that either.Good point, I suppose they are trying to impress someone, if it is genuine emotion they are pathetically hypersensitive IMHO.

sparkky
04-05-2005, 12:12 AM
The wife and I went to the Smithsonian in DC once and she wanted to see John Dillingers dick in a jar. Never did see it. Asked her later if it was in a jar or a shot glass.
Long plane ride home. Go figure.
Probably just as well.

BIG_DADDY
04-05-2005, 12:27 AM
Good point, I suppose they are trying to impress someone, if it is genuine emotion they are pathetically hypersensitive IMHO.

Tell me about it. They kept showing pictures of people losing it over Shiavo and I never got that. To push the issue one step further how about the people crying their ass off for individuals on death row being killed because they are complete animals. Want to see something beyond ridiculous, check out the people losing their marbels over Michael Jackson being convicted if he is. I just don't get it.

Logical
04-05-2005, 08:15 AM
Tell me about it. They kept showing pictures of people losing it over Shiavo and I never got that. To push the issue one step further how about the people crying their ass off for individuals on death row being killed because they are complete animals. Want to see something beyond ridiculous, check out the people losing their marbels over Michael Jackson being convicted if he is. I just don't get it.
The people crying their ass off over criminals deserve some sort of mental treatment, clearly if they are feeling pain over lifes vermin they need serious help.

Rain Man
04-05-2005, 08:23 AM
I agree that it's an odd phenomenon.

I can kind of see it, though, in the sense that perhaps a lot of people "know" the pope, Princess Di, etc., just because they've been exposed to them a lot through the media. When people like this die, there's a bit more of a connection due to that familiarity, and when you add to that the feeling that they're seeing an event of some historic importance, and they're seeing the end of (or a change in) culture, maybe it all adds up to stronger emotions.

I don't really feel a connection to this kind of thing, but I do remember being in high school in 1980 or 1981 when a kid came into class and said, "Reagan's been shot!" Then they announced it over the loudspeaker, which was not a common policy. It was actually pretty upsetting to everyone (including me), and I kind of sat back and thought, "Why is this upsetting?" I don't know the guy, and I'm nothing but one of his 'subjects.' I couldn't really come up with a reason, other than just surprise and shock.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-05-2005, 08:41 AM
Does not matter who, Princess Di, John Lennon, a President or a Pope. It just makes no sense to me.

Anyone got any insights? Anyone ever done it?
While I'm not catholic I can understand that the Pope was the church's spiritual leader. He set the tone for the way the church was run and how people worshipped for 26 years. I don't think you have to meet a person for them to have a profound effect on your life.

Did any Chiefs fans cry when Derrick Thomas died? Yes. Which is more strange?

CosmicPal
04-05-2005, 10:04 AM
I once slept with a corpse, but I didn't view the body.

Hoover
04-05-2005, 10:20 AM
OK, now if I was in Rome and this happend I'd stop by, but I'm a history buff.

seclark
04-05-2005, 10:41 AM
it was a tough concept for me as a kid. my mother would thump me upside the head for "staring" at old grampa when we visited him, but when he died, i had to stand in line and wait to do it.
sec

Logical
04-05-2005, 06:50 PM
While I'm not catholic I can understand that the Pope was the church's spiritual leader. He set the tone for the way the church was run and how people worshipped for 26 years. I don't think you have to meet a person for them to have a profound effect on your life.

Did any Chiefs fans cry when Derrick Thomas died? Yes. Which is more strange?

I don't actually know anyone who did, I certainly did not. I felt sad for him but in a detached remote I am sorry someone has died way. Not much different than when you hear someone has died on the news.

I think Rain Man gave the best explanation I have heard so far.

Thig Lyfe
04-05-2005, 06:51 PM
I wonder if it's inappropriate in such a situation to see him and yell "Holy crap, the Pope!"

ENDelt260
04-05-2005, 06:52 PM
I wonder if it's inappropriate in such a situation to see him and yell "Holy crap, the Pope!"
That was funnier than Platoon.

Demonpenz
04-05-2005, 07:17 PM
this one comes to mind too probably because everyone could relate to him

PunkinDrublic
04-05-2005, 07:20 PM
I think it's a ploy to get out of work. If your boss gives you any shit you can say "How dare you criticize me in my time of grieving". How many people do you think milked Reagans funeral into a three day weekend?

mikey23545
04-05-2005, 07:51 PM
this one comes to mind too probably because everyone could relate to him

I laughed when that c*cksucker bought the farm.

All the times he more or less tried to kill somebody else just to win a race?...RIP, POS....