PDA

View Full Version : Pryce: "I don't want to be Eddie Kennison, passed around like trash"

Den9899
04-05-2005, 03:31 AM
If Pryce eventually gets cut, which seems unlikely now, I wonder if the Kennison would be warm to bringing him in? ROFL

Pryce sees end to traveling talk

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/dr...3675788,00.html

Broncos veteran expects he'll be in Denver's plans

By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News
April 5, 2005

As expected, Trevor Pryce soon could be on the move.

But, after all the off-season talk about his pending departure from Denver, the four-time Pro Bowl selection might end up traveling only a few steps from his usual spot on the Broncos' defensive line - from power end to the primary pass-rushing position previously manned by the likes of Bert Berry and Reggie Hayward.

"They have all these great players," Pryce said Monday in assessing his possible future on Denver's defensive front. "But I think they need that guy that can get to the quarterback."

Pryce said he fully expects to fill that pass-rushing role, with free-agent pickup Courtney Brown manning the strong-side end position.

That scenario is only one of several reasons that a relationship between player and team that seemingly was headed for divorce in recent months instead appears headed for reconciliation.

"It's kind of like, 'OK, now I need to stay,' " Pryce added.

Team officials could not be reached for comment, but the defensive end gauges the odds he will return to the Broncos at "the very least" 50 percent - and probably better than that.

"I think it's pretty much a done thing," said Pryce, who strongly dismissed the possibilities of being released or traded.

He predicted that, given the current climate, a compromise contract agreement could be reached within a week and no later than a month.

"That's why I'm here working out," he said on the day the team opened its off-season conditioning program, in which he was an active participant.

Pryce's appearance Monday spoke volumes about where his relationship with the team stands. The defensive end felt obligated, and excited, to participate in conditioning, in part, he said, because he's feeling better physically than he has in some time.

He also wanted to send a message to his teammates.

"It was more about, if I am here, I want these guys to see me the first day," he said.

Pryce's $9.167 million salary-cap hit remains a sticking point for the Broncos, particularly with the team only about $40,000 from the league's spending limit.

He conceded he could be wrong in making such a positive assessment about his future with the Broncos, but he doesn't believe he is.

Pryce pointed to a recent meeting with coach Mike Shanahan that helped open the lines of communication to where there seems to be a willingness on both sides to forge a compromise, short of an outright pay cut.

The Broncos publicly put the defensive end on the trade block in March. But with Sept. 22 back surgery limiting Pryce to two appearances last season and Denver seeking at least a first-round draft pick for Pryce, there have been no takers.

In that case, the Broncos were expected to release him, but they apparently have reconsidered.

"I think they changed their tune a little bit because there was some talk about me landing in Kansas City and some other places that they wouldn't want me to land at," Pryce said.

Oakland, another AFC West rival, also expressed interest in Pryce. And St. Louis, the New York Giants and Dallas were expected to bid on his services if he was let go.

Though Pryce sees his release as a long shot, he said, "If I am a free agent, I won't be a free agent for long, I know that."

There has been precious little certainty tied to Pryce recently. He previously dismissed the possibility of returning to the Broncos but says he could be comfortable with the team despite the events of the off-season.

"I don't want to be one of those guys that bounces around," he said. "I don't want to be Eddie Kennison, with every team he's played for tattooed on his arm. That is so disgusting. You've been passed around like trash."

The Broncos' recent additions of four free-agent defensive linemen - Brown, Gerard Warren, Michael Myers and Ebenezer Ekuban - seemed to cement Pryce's departure, if only by sheer volume. Pryce instead viewed those moves as Shanahan addressing the rest of the front four before focusing on his situation. That theory seemed to make sense, Pryce said, after he met with the coach after the influx.

Pryce, sporting a Mohawk in its formative stages, appeared fit and trim Monday after going through his conditioning workout with only normal first-day soreness.

Acupuncture treatments apparently have cured the numbness that ran from his hip down his right leg last season and robbed him of power.

He has been playing indoor soccer, riding his bicycle extensively and doing cross-training exercises "to retrain my body" before beginning football-intensive exercises.

"If we can keep Trevor and throw him back into the mix, it will be out of sight," Broncos linebacker Ian Gold said. "I really feel that way."

Pryce is even looking forward to the football grind he missed in his abbreviated 2004 season. "I do feel younger than I have felt in a very long time," he said.

Taco John
04-05-2005, 03:34 AM
Classic!

big nasty kcnut
04-05-2005, 03:40 AM
Taco cabana take your kids back to the short bus and send them back to the lame.

tk13
04-05-2005, 03:53 AM
I'm more stunned that he calls all these castoff Browns linemen "great". No wonder he's re-signing, they've got him brainwashed. Either that or he's on some serious drugs. :spock:

Taco John
04-05-2005, 04:06 AM
Buy low, sell high.

I think Courtney Brown can play this game. Gerrard Warren, I'm not so sure on. He's probably about the equivalent to a Lionel Dalton. And then after that, I like the rotation we've got. I think we can rank top ten with this defense.

CrazyHorse
04-05-2005, 04:28 AM
Buy low, sell high.

I think Courtney Brown can play this game. Gerrard Warren, I'm not so sure on. He's probably about the equivalent to a Lionel Dalton. And then after that, I like the rotation we've got. I think we can rank top ten with this defense.

Yeah but, you were top 5.

You could also rank in the bottom of the league in rush defense. Good luck with that. Especially in the AFC West.

Big Chief Homer
04-05-2005, 05:44 AM
If hes happy being a back up to Warren......

You can keep him.

Man has no self asteem.

Braincase
04-05-2005, 06:00 AM
This story moved me to tears. No wait... that was just a bead of sweat running down the crack of my ass. Sorry for the confusion.

Mile High Mania
04-05-2005, 06:23 AM
I like hearing that he may return... that would be nice.

KCWolfman
04-05-2005, 06:28 AM
Since when is quitting a team that obviously didn't give a damn about your personal needs and choosing to go to another team being "passed around"?

Was Pryce a phys ed major?

KCTitus
04-05-2005, 06:48 AM
I love this time of year when Teej's rag tag band of homers trots over to try to convince us (more to the point themselves) that their FA acquisitions are actually great acquisitions.

Radar Chief
04-05-2005, 06:51 AM
This story moved me to tears. No wait... that was just a bead of sweat running down the crack of my ass. Sorry for the confusion.

Hey, no problem. I can understand how you’d make that mistake. ;)

Mark M
04-05-2005, 06:52 AM
Buy low, sell high.

With your history of pathetic predictions, one would think that you'd stop making them.

ROFL

As far as EK being "passed around," it seems that a team that cuts him because he wanted to take care of his wife (who has Lupus) says more about the team than it does the player.

Everyone who knows anything about that whole situation knows who's really "trash."

MM
~~:shake:

Kyle401
04-05-2005, 07:14 AM
As far as EK being "passed around," it seems that a team that cuts him because he wanted to take care of his wife (who has Lupus) says more about the team than it does the player.

Everyone who knows anything about that whole situation knows who's really "trash."

MM
~~:shake:

:clap: MM - 1
TJ - 0

whoman69
04-05-2005, 07:25 AM
The is not falling, well not so much anyway!
I fixed your post for you.

Mark M
04-05-2005, 07:27 AM
Buy low, be high.

Just assisting whoman in correcting your post.

MM
~~:p

Simplex3
04-05-2005, 07:31 AM
Does anyone else get the feeling that the Faiders and Chiefs may just be d**king with the Browncows? They're only $40k below the cap and instead of releasing a $9M DL they're going to keep him so he doesn't go to a division rival?

What does this mean for them signing their draft picks?

morphius
04-05-2005, 07:54 AM
Does anyone else get the feeling that the Faiders and Chiefs may just be d**king with the Browncows? They're only $40k below the cap and instead of releasing a $9M DL they're going to keep him so he doesn't go to a division rival?

What does this mean for them signing their draft picks?
I believe the rookie pool is already added into the salary cap.

TRR
04-05-2005, 07:58 AM
I love picking up 1,000 yard WR trash.

I wish we had more trash like Eddie Kennison!

Rain Man
04-05-2005, 08:04 AM
Pryce has been a Bronco for too long. He's starting to lose his class.

It'll be interesting to see what he says if they unceremoniously dump him. Hopefully, the league is on to the Broncos and won't let them pay him under the table like they did for Elway.

Mr. Kotter
04-05-2005, 08:32 AM
... Hopefully, the league is on to the Broncos and won't let them pay him under the table like they did for Elway.

No kiddin'..... :shake:

Bwana
04-05-2005, 08:38 AM
All I can say is it fascinates me that Kennison still gets under every Bronco fans skin after this duration of time. That fact along makes it mandatory we hang onto him.

ZootedGranny
04-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Ah yes, the time honored tradition of passing trash around to friends and family. I do it all the time.

|Zach|
04-05-2005, 08:52 AM
Kennison trashed your 85 million corner on the field and off the field PRYCE BECOMES THE INSULT MASTER!!

BURRRRN!

Iowanian
04-05-2005, 09:14 AM
I'm sure all the other FAs in Dunver enjoy the idea that their teamate thinks they're "trash"....

Plummer...Arizona Litter
Dline.....Cleveland Ditchfill
Chump Baily.........

In this league, in this time of FA, Kennison is on what...his 3rd team? He also sent half of Denver's seconary to the Burn unit last year.

Wile_E_Coyote
04-05-2005, 09:53 AM
with Johnny Morton out of the game, Eddie "Trash" Kennison burns Champ "Cream of Crop" Bailey for 7 catches, 101 yards & 2 TDs

~he-haw

Rain Man
04-05-2005, 09:54 AM
At least this is a good admission that Romanowski, Sharpe, and McCaffrey were trash.

beer bacon
04-05-2005, 10:06 AM
All I can say is it fascinates me that Kennison still gets under every Bronco fans skin after this duration of time. That fact along makes it mandatory we hang onto him.

Well the guy does get 100+ everytime we play them. He had 101 yards the first game this year and 101 + two TDs the second. He always shows up for Denver games.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-05-2005, 10:54 AM
It was nice that KC was the team he mentioned landing with that Denver was concerned about. That tells me that should he be cut he'll be taking a 900 mile jaunt across I-70 to come play for the good side.

RINGLEADER
04-05-2005, 11:34 AM
Kennison trashed the Broncos defense the last few games...he trashed the league for almost 1100 yards and 8 TDs.

ChiefsCountry
04-05-2005, 11:39 AM
He has been playing indoor soccer, riding his bicycle extensively and doing cross-training exercises "to retrain my body" before beginning football-intensive exercises.

He plays soccer, what a puss.

Brock
04-05-2005, 11:46 AM
It was nice that KC was the team he mentioned landing with that Denver was concerned about. That tells me that should he be cut he'll be taking a 900 mile jaunt across I-70 to come play for the good side.

That will get him almost to St. Louis.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-05-2005, 12:31 PM
That will get him almost to St. Louis.

I'm from the Pacific Northwest, what the hell do I know? ;)

OmahaChief
04-05-2005, 01:05 PM
The Bronco's don't mind picking up Cleveland's trash. What a joke that team is. Eff em.

Wile_E_Coyote
04-05-2005, 01:24 PM
12/19/04

Kennison
7 catches 101 yards 2 TDs

L Johnson 1st NFL start
30 att 151 yards 2 TDs

Samie Parker 1st NFL game time
3 catches 84 yards 1TD

Dante Hall

well you know....