PDA

View Full Version : Friendship and Race/Ethnicity

Rain Man
04-05-2005, 08:51 AM
Another in the continuing series.

Oh, and please do not count spouses or significant others in this poll. Only platonic friends.

Phobia
04-05-2005, 08:57 AM
Would you like me to include the zero option? That's what I'm voting.

I haven't had that much interaction with people of other races. I was tight with a black guy in the USMC, but he wasn't a "best friend". I'm currently tight with a black lady, but that's not "best friend" territory.

Rain Man
04-05-2005, 08:59 AM
Yep, would you? I was just realizing that I left it out of the friendship/age poll as well. I can feel the competence draining from my psyche even as we speak.

JimNasium
04-05-2005, 08:59 AM
I voted that I didn't have 10 friends. Actually, growing up in Springfield did not provide a lot of opportunity to meet anyone who was not white. Of my current "best friend" set I have one friend who is half-Japanese.

Rain Man
04-05-2005, 09:03 AM
I would answer 2 on this one. One of my good friends in high school was Asian, and my best friend in grad school was Hispanic. The rest are lily white.

Hoover
04-05-2005, 09:04 AM
Its sad but growing up in Iowa my answer is 0.

Phobia
04-05-2005, 09:11 AM
Its sad but growing up in Iowa my answer is 0.

Yeah - that was part of "problem" as well. My other social circles have come from the USMC where our unit had one black guy who was a good friend, various IT shops (I had a close Vietnamese friend), softball, volleyball, and other miscellaneous.... I haven't experienced a lot of minority contact.

Mark M
04-05-2005, 09:11 AM
I've actually had three -- one African American, one Mexican and one Asian American.

What can I say ... I've had a veritable melting pot of friends.

MM
~~:)

ENDelt260
04-05-2005, 10:23 AM
My 10 best friends since age 12? I'm not sure I have the skills necessary to rank all my friends that way. I may require the assistance of a 13 year old girl.

Right now I think pretty much all my friends are white. A couple of 'em are Italian, though. Rewind a couple years to when I was living in Tempe and it was a different story. The guy in the apt next to mine was black, and all the black guys in the complex hung out together. It wasn't uncommon for me to be the token white guy in the group. When I moved out of that complex I slowly lost touch w/ those guys, though.

Oh, I do know a Mexican midget.. I don't guess he counts in my top 10 friends, though... too bad... that would be like double credit, right?

CosmicPal
04-05-2005, 10:44 AM

It's not because I'm race-blind or ignorant. It's because I grew up in a predominately white community. I've got five buddies I would call my best friends and I've known them all since about 12. I couldn't be any happier with a great bunch of white guys.

seclark
04-05-2005, 10:46 AM
3...same 3 as the other 2polls. i'm starting to see a pattern.
sec

Iowanian
04-05-2005, 10:48 AM
My best friend has always had a fat purple Head.

I didn't see that option available.

Manila-Chief
04-05-2005, 10:51 AM
I voted 8 .... but then again I have lived in the Philippines for the last 29 years... what else would I expect!!! They are great people and better friends!!!

chiefs4me
04-05-2005, 11:03 AM
I feel sorry for the 3 people that voted they don't have 10 friends.....:(

Mike Grose
04-05-2005, 11:56 AM
I honestly never met a black person in my age range until I went to college.

Other than a golfing buddy a few years back, none of few my black acquaintences have stuck.

ChiefsOne
04-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Italian

SCTrojan
04-05-2005, 12:10 PM
Being of non-white or black descent, every one of my 10 best friends were a different race than I.

Rain Man
04-05-2005, 12:16 PM
Being of non-white or black descent, every one of my 10 best friends were a different race than I.

That's interesting. From a strict statistical perspective, I'd expect 9 of 10 to be different, but from a sociological perspective I would've expected the figure to be more 50/50 for a non-white person.

Katipan
04-05-2005, 12:16 PM
I grew up in Los Angeles where white people were the minority. My husband grew up in Iowa, where he hadn't met a black person until college. And the first black person he met stole his stereo. I mention that just because that helped emphasize the brainwashing about diferent cultures living in tiny midwest towns instill in people.

I'm a flip and white. Most people can't tell what race I am. So I truly am race blind.

ENDelt260
04-05-2005, 12:19 PM
I'm a flip

There's one you don't hear every day. I wonder how many folks on here even know what that is.

SCTrojan
04-05-2005, 12:22 PM
That's interesting. From a strict statistical perspective, I'd expect 9 of 10 to be different, but from a sociological perspective I would've expected the figure to be more 50/50 for a non-white person.

Yeah, you'd think statistically I would have befriended someone of my race. However, there weren't a whole lot of people who looked like me where I grew up in Kansas. Not to say I didn't meet some of them and even befriend them. For whatever reason, they weren't among my best friends.

Girlfriends, however, are a bit of a different story. But that's another poll.

SCTrojan
04-05-2005, 12:23 PM
I'm a flip

Me, too.

Rain Man
04-05-2005, 12:32 PM
I grew up in Los Angeles where white people were the minority. My husband grew up in Iowa, where he hadn't met a black person until college. And the first black person he met stole his stereo. I mention that just because that helped emphasize the brainwashing about diferent cultures living in tiny midwest towns instill in people.

I'm a flip and white. Most people can't tell what race I am. So I truly am race blind.

So the husband wouldn't count the guy as one of his ten best friends?

And what's a flip?

ENDelt260
04-05-2005, 12:34 PM
So the husband wouldn't count the guy as one of his ten best friends?

Heh

And what's a flip?

Wait... nobody tell him. I think you should start a poll to see how many Planeteers know. I'm curious as to the Planet's slur literacy.

Rain Man
04-05-2005, 12:37 PM
However, there weren't a whole lot of people who looked like me where I grew up in Kansas.

That would indeed make a difference. We had two black kids in my high school class of 300+. They weren't friends, but even if they were they couldn't have voted more than "1" on this poll.

I thought it was funny because one of my ten best friends is Asian, and when we were in high school several people innocently asked him if he was taking the only Asian gal in our class to the prom. It infuriated him, because he didn't even know her and she was in a very different clique than us, and it was obvious why they were asking.

Rain Man
04-05-2005, 12:38 PM
Heh

Wait... nobody tell him. I think you should start a poll to see how many Planeteers know. I'm curious as to the Planet's slur literacy.

Tell me or I'll start crying, and that'll just be embarrassing for all of us.

Katipan
04-05-2005, 12:38 PM
heehehehhehehe

Flips are small, angry, fertile people

MOhillbilly
04-05-2005, 12:41 PM
Tell me or I'll start crying, and that'll just be embarrassing for all of us.
meh................
its just another mud dont worry about it.

Rain Man
04-05-2005, 12:44 PM
(sniff)

ENDelt260
04-05-2005, 12:46 PM
(sniff)
Haha... look at the crybaby.

I think you should just ask random people on the street, Rain Man. There's a chance you might even run into one.

SCTrojan
04-05-2005, 12:46 PM
I thought it was funny because one of my ten best friends is Asian, and when we were in high school several people innocently asked him if he was taking the only Asian gal in our class to the prom. It infuriated him, because he didn't even know her and she was in a very different clique than us, and it was obvious why they were asking.

I've often been asked if I know karate. I've always thought it was a hilarious question in a stereotypical way.

And, no, I don't know it.

jcroft
04-05-2005, 01:07 PM
Two. I think the biggest reason these numbers will be low is that many of us simply live in area that aren't especially diverse.

Rain Man
04-05-2005, 01:07 PM
I've often been asked if I know karate. I've always thought it was a hilarious question in a stereotypical way.

And, no, I don't know it.

Ah. A Tae Kwan Do man, eh? :p

keg in kc
04-05-2005, 01:31 PM
I don't think I've had 10 friends in my life, at least not "best" friends.

I'd say about half of the friends or acquaintances I've had have been of other ethnicities. Mostly black and Asian with a few Middle Eastern and others thrown in. I tend to get along with everyone, although I never really get close. I think I'd probably fall into 'race blind', although I don't think anyone can truly be 'race blind'; we all have a little bit of the judgemental pigeon-holer in us.

Ultra Peanut
04-05-2005, 01:57 PM
Wait... nobody tell him. I think you should start a poll to see how many Planeteers know. I'm curious as to the Planet's slur literacy.That's a slur? I thought it just sounded like a convenient shortened form...

RedDread
04-05-2005, 02:00 PM
I have a black friend who's also gay, does that count as 2?

Kidding!

I voted 3...him, another black guy and a friend from India. All met in Grade School and HS...

ENDelt260
04-05-2005, 02:01 PM
That's a slur? I thought it just sounded like a convenient shortened form...
Well, I can't say as I've ever actually used it w/ the intent to offend... but, then, I think I've only know like 3 Filipinos in my life... so, I haven't had a lot of opportunity. I just figure if there's a nickname for someone based on their ethnicity, somebody, somewhere, is getting offended by it.

Our two residents don't seem all that upset about it... but, then again, my neighbor doesn't care when I call him a wop, either.

Your shortened form theory reminded me of something from my childhood. My grandmother was fond of the word Jap (among others). Being a kid, I didn't see anything wrong with it... hey, I saved a couple syllables! That lead to an unpleasant conversation with Mom one day.

Mr. Kotter
04-05-2005, 02:13 PM
I like people of all colors...ethnic people are very interesting and cool to get to know.

Katipan
04-05-2005, 02:14 PM
I've never met a Filipino that didn't call themselves Flips. But I'd agree that somewhere I'm sure there is someone that thinks it's a horrible slur.

Filipino is just a mouthful.

But it's way better than Chinese Wetback.

ENDelt260
04-05-2005, 02:16 PM
But it's way better than Chinese Wetback.

I'll have to remember that. Never know when it might come in handy.

Mr. Kotter
04-05-2005, 02:20 PM
Yeah, you'd think statistically I would have befriended someone of my race. However, there weren't a whole lot of people who looked like me where I grew up in Kansas. Not to say I didn't meet some of them and even befriend them. For whatever reason, they weren't among my best friends.

Girlfriends, however, are a bit of a different story. But that's another poll.

Hey, haven't I told you?....in addition to my 1/8th Apache, and 1/32nd African American, I'm 1/64th Flip-Samoan....my great granddaddy became General Dewey's butler after the Spanish American war. I can't BELIEVE I forgot to tell you that, bro.