PDA

View Full Version : If it's April, Rufus must be starting his propaganda campaign against agents...

shaneo69
04-05-2005, 09:13 AM
Wonder where Rufus got this inside info. The Patriots website does not mention the length of Scott's original contract. And NFL.com and ESPN.com do not list Scott as a free agent. I don't know that I've ever heard of a drafted rookie signing a one-year deal.

DAWES: THE AGENT WORLD'S IDEA OF PRINCPLE
Apr 05, 2005, 2:48:46 AM, Media Watch by Rufus Dawes

As unrestricted free agency heats up it’s a clear indication that the draft can’t be far behind. But before we work ourselves into a lather on that subject, I thought I’d give you a little reminder of an incident that occurred last year that might have escaped your notice. Consider it a taste of things to come.

How about this for colossal miscalculation? While not replicating the cheek displayed by the International Gymnastics Federation officials in the Paul Hamm matter at the last Olympics, the NFL Players Association reached another new low this past year by calling its role in the matter of 2004 third–round pick Guss Scott’s contract a “matter of principle.”

It appears that Scott, a third-round selection of the world champion New England Patriots, followed agent Drew Rosenhaus’s advice, and rejected the team’s contract offer after previously accepting it. It called for Scott to receive a five-year contract including a $625,000 signing bonus plus numerous incentive bonuses and escalator clauses in the fourth and fifth years. (New England made the fourth and fifth years more lucrative should Scott have success, but put aside any evaluation of escalator clauses for the moment; besides, some agent mouthpiece in the media will explain them in an entirely different way in due time).

First of all, what does this article have to do with being a media watchdog? And second, Rufus has no proof of what went on during this negotiation process. These assumptions on his part are at least as ridiculous as any of the B.S. that Whitlock tries to pass on as fact. I guess Rufus is trying to emulate JW with his agenda-laden tripe.

According to sources in the NFL Management Council, the repository for all player contracts, everything appeared hunky-dory until the Players Association exploded in a tirade over the contract. The NFLPA doesn’t like five-year deals since it believes it is more lucrative for young players not to be locked up for four or five years so they can take advantage of restricted or unrestricted free agency sooner. Under pressure from his peers, Rosenhaus relented and rejected the offer after initially accepting it, preferring to take a one-year contract for his client at the minimum of $230,000. It was a matter of “principle,” so said the agent, according to a number of reports.

Stifle, for the moment, your laughter at the notion of player agents talking of principle and think what’s been going round in Scott’s head for the past year. In his first preseason game after signing a one-year deal with no signing bonus, no incentive clauses, nothing but his salary, he blew out his knee and was done for the season. What do you suppose his negotiation position will be this year when he attempts to sign a new deal with the Patriots? And really, does a low third round draft pick want to be playing hardball with the reigning champions of the NFL?

Wonder if the NFLPA or the agent world will be interested in principle as it applies to Scott this year? Wonder if Players Association officials will even remember his name and the circumstances they put him in?

whoman69
04-05-2005, 10:54 AM
If he had blown out his knee under a long term contract, it would not have made much difference except that he could get an injury settlement. Because of the violent nature of the game and the level of competition, contracts in the NFL are not guaranteed. They are just pieces of paper that protect the teams much more than they do the players.

Dave Lane
04-05-2005, 11:05 AM
Signing bonuses are guaranteed

Dave

Mike Grose
04-05-2005, 11:52 AM
And an injury settelement on a 5-year contract is a lot juicier than an injury settlement on a 1-year 230K contract.

And he is still restricted. If he's offered a contract, it will be rookie minimum since he has no leverage.

Brock
04-05-2005, 11:54 AM
He got bad advice.

Skip Towne
04-05-2005, 12:03 PM
He got bad advice.
Yep, I'd say he got Rosenhaused.

shaneo69
04-05-2005, 12:06 PM
He got bad advice.

It sounds like it, when you only take Rufus' slanted opinion into account.