PDA

View Full Version : Miami looking to trade down?

Mr. Laz
04-05-2005, 10:55 AM
Posted on Tue, Apr. 05, 2005

R E L A T E D C O N T E N T

DOLPHINS NOTEBOOK

Miami might trade No. 2 pick

BY ARMANDO SALGUERO

asalguero@herald.com

The Dolphins are willing to trade the second overall pick in the coming NFL draft, a fact two league sources say is getting around because Miami personnel people are saying as much in conversations with peers from other teams.

According to two NFC personnel sources, the Dolphins have made it clear they would welcome trade overtures that would allow them to drop down in the draft's first round in exchange for multiple picks.

One of the sources said he knows of no team that is eager to trade up to Miami's spot now, but said that might be because the April 23-24 draft still is too far in the future. Dolphins coach Nick Saban was unavailable for comment Monday, but last week addressed the possibility of trading the pick.

''There is a level of compensation that may make it more attractive not to pick there,'' Saban said. ``But we don't control that. It's not like we can just dial it up and do what we want to do. Somebody has got to want to do that as well. So when you ask me what we're going to do, we're going to do what's best from a long-term value orientation for this organization.''

Saban said the club has a chart that suggests what type of compensation Miami should get for moving down in the draft. The coach said he would follow that chart strictly in forging a trade.

The reason the Dolphins are practically inviting trade offers is two-fold. Saban has made it clear the team has multiple areas that need addressing while lamenting he doesn't have enough picks to fill those needs.

The Dolphins traded away several picks last year, including their second-rounder to Philadelphia for quarterback A.J. Feeley.

Secondly, the top half of the draft is not considered especially strong. Several NFL coaches and personnel men believe the players in the middle of the first round through the second round might offer as much quality as players in the first dozen picks.

Saban said the Dolphins would align their draft board this week and set their draft strategy next week.

JimNasium
04-05-2005, 10:57 AM
Okay, so what does this mean to KC? I can't imagine that we have the ammo to trade up that high and grab Surtain.

HipHopper4Life
04-05-2005, 10:59 AM
This is why you don't wait till draft day to trade for Surtain if you really want him.

Miami trades down and all of a sudden the urgency to add another first day pick by trading Surtain is gone.

htismaqe
04-05-2005, 11:01 AM
I tried to post this on another thread, but the board has been funked up...

TRADE IT ALL CARL!!!

Trade every draft pick we have for Surtain and the #2 pick. We could get Derrick Johnson!

nmt1
04-05-2005, 11:02 AM
This is why you don't wait till draft day to trade for Surtain if you really want him.

Miami trades down and all of a sudden the urgency to add another first day pick by trading Surtain is gone.

It's all the more reason to wait. If the urgency is gone, Surtain's price goes down.
If this happened today, it would be in the Chiefs favor

Lzen
04-05-2005, 11:02 AM

I don't think that's the problem for Miami. They don't want his cap $$ hit.

Coogs
04-05-2005, 11:03 AM
Secondly, the top half of the draft is not considered especially strong. Several NFL coaches and personnel men believe the players in the middle of the first round through the second round might offer as much quality as players in the first dozen picks.

Bingo! Trade DOWN. Get more picks, say in a trade with Philly, in the 2nd round. Use one for Surtain, and the rest to fill out our roster.

KCFalcon59
04-05-2005, 11:03 AM
I tried to post this on another thread, but the board has been funked up...

TRADE IT ALL CARL!!!

Trade every draft pick we have for Surtain and the #2 pick. We could get Derrick Johnson!

Honestly I like that idea.

nmt1
04-05-2005, 11:05 AM
Bingo! Trade DOWN. Get more picks, say in a trade with Philly, in the 2nd round. Use one for Surtain, and the rest to fill out our roster.

The Chiefs are sitting pretty at 15. They won't be stuck drafting and paying a guy they don't really want that high like Miami and San Fran.

Phobia
04-05-2005, 11:06 AM
TRADE IT ALL CARL!!!

It would probably take trading this year's entire draft and next year's.

nascher
04-05-2005, 11:07 AM
And make a "Ditka" or what ? lol

Calcountry
04-05-2005, 11:08 AM
It would probably take trading this year's entire draft and next year's.A pig gets fat, but a hog gets stuck.

Coogs
04-05-2005, 11:24 AM
The Chiefs are sitting pretty at 15. They won't be stuck drafting and paying a guy they don't really want that high like Miami and San Fran.

But by the same token, what is to say Carlos Rogers is any better than Marlin Jackson?

I still think if Philly could trade up with someone in the middle of the first round BEFORE the draft, they would be in position to move up to the early first round and get either Edwards or Williams to go opposite of Owens.

We are old on offense. We could add several players in spots that are needed too groom to replace older vets in the near future. QB for one. There are several candidates who would be real good selections in the 2nd round. The QB's from Arkon, Arizona State, and Auburn for starters.

ROYC75
04-05-2005, 12:11 PM
Trade it all awy for the overall # 2 , get Johnson and Surtain somehow ?

No way.......... Serious.

Derrick Johnson is not the overall # 2 player in the country. Taking him at # 2 will cost a very large contract and knowing CP, a camp holdout. ( He can be bought with a trade up to the 7-12 pick on draft day, and still retain some picks)

Surtain $$ are going to be a large cap hit for the most part.

We have no new talent coming in at OL and OB.

IMHO, I say it too risky, for a 1 year hope of throwing it all away for the last hoorah of DV.

Gravedigger
04-05-2005, 12:15 PM
If we traded up that would be beautiful cause then we could get Derrick Johnson and sign Ty Law. But sources say that the chiefs are close to trading a fourth this year and a second next year for surtain which could be a mistake if our defense still sucks this year.... but I'm the optomistic chiefs fan and I say no way!!!

Frankie
04-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Okay, so what does this mean to KC? I can't imagine that we have the ammo to trade up that high and grab Surtain.
It only means that Miami is looking to fill their empty 2nd rd by trading down their first. Instead of insisting on getting a 2nd from us. Maybe they are warming up to the 4th (plus a later pick) that we are offering for Surtain.

philfree
04-05-2005, 12:24 PM
In regards for Surtain this scares me. If Surtain isn't on our roster before the draft then there's no telling what might happen when Miami's on the clock. They might package Surtain and their 1st round pick for some crazy combination of picks. We don't have the ammo to compete ina scenario like that so we better be prudent and get the pro bowl CB on board ASAP.

PhilFree :arrow:

nmt1
04-05-2005, 12:28 PM
But by the same token, what is to say Carlos Rogers is any better than Marlin Jackson?

We don't know but I suspect the Chiefs will have looked at both and ranked them according to their evaluations. They should stick to their draft board regardless.

I still think if Philly could trade up with someone in the middle of the first round BEFORE the draft, they would be in position to move up to the early first round and get either Edwards or Williams to go opposite of Owens.

We are old on offense. We could add several players in spots that are needed too groom to replace older vets in the near future. QB for one. There are several candidates who would be real good selections in the 2nd round. The QB's from Arkon, Arizona State, and Auburn for starters.

I don't have any problem trading for more picks. I think we could get some good value if we traded down. I'm not too worried about it though. I'm glad we've got the picks we've got.

Simplex3
04-05-2005, 12:34 PM
They should stick to their draft board regardless.
Yeah, our scouts do a wonderful job of talent evaluation.

Coogs
04-05-2005, 12:38 PM
I don't have any problem trading for more picks. I think we could get some good value if we traded down. I'm not too worried about it though. I'm glad we've got the picks we've got.

If we wind up trading our 2nd for Surtain, we have 2 picks on day 1. While I would certainly go for Surtain, I would also love to have multiple day 1 picks in a draft that has this much talent through the firts two to three rounds.

Coogs
04-05-2005, 12:39 PM
Yeah, our scouts do a wonderful job of talent evaluation.

They did a good job for San Diego last year. We leaked out who we wanted, and San Diego took them before we could.

Brock
04-05-2005, 12:41 PM
They did a good job for San Diego last year. We leaked out who we wanted, and San Diego took them before we could.

ROFL Yeah.

ct
04-05-2005, 12:42 PM
This is nutin but good for KC. If Miami moves down, reasonable to assume they pick up multiple 1st day picks in return. This very well could lessen the hard-line stance for Surtain.

Hey by the way, why does Philly keep coming up? Who is so certain that Philly is looking to move up?

Coogs
04-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Hey by the way, why does Philly keep coming up? Who is so certain that Philly is looking to move up?

This is from GBN today...

http://www.gbnreport.com/firstroundoptions.html
(this is actually a really good article for those interested in the draft)

31. Philadelphia ... There has been lots of talk of the Eagles being big movers in this draft. With a talented team and 13 draft choices in hand, a trade up is a very definite possibilty here. No way 13 rookies make the team so trading some of these choices and targeting more specific needs makes real sense. Getting a DT like Castillo or Shaun Cody would really bolster the Eagles' run defense or trading up for a shot a Shawne Merriman or Derrick Johnson would make Philly's defense pretty formidable. If they stand pat, look for the Eagles to grab a WR like Roddy White.

Gravedigger
04-05-2005, 12:47 PM
Yeah i say switch up our 15 for the 2 and acquire either Derrick Johnson or Antrel Rolle then give our 2nd or our 4th this year 2nd next year and get another defensive lineman.

ct
04-05-2005, 12:52 PM
This is from GBN today...

http://www.gbnreport.com/firstroundoptions.html
(this is actually a really good article for those interested in the draft)

31. Philadelphia ... There has been lots of talk of the Eagles being big movers in this draft. With a talented team and 13 draft choices in hand, a trade up is a very definite possibilty here. No way 13 rookies make the team so trading some of these choices and targeting more specific needs makes real sense. Getting a DT like Castillo or Shaun Cody would really bolster the Eagles' run defense or trading up for a shot a Shawne Merriman or Derrick Johnson would make Philly's defense pretty formidable. If they stand pat, look for the Eagles to grab a WR like Roddy White.

Thank you sir, I can see clearly now!