PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas practice jerseys not so pretty in pink

Saulbadguy
04-05-2005, 11:31 AM
:spock:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2030367

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Arkansas coach Houston Nutt said that players caught loafing will no longer wear pink jerseys during practices in an effort to avoid offending breast cancer survivors.

Nutt received negative reaction from people when they saw the players in the pink jerseys. Breast cancer survivors and their supporters often wear pink ribbons, and the nationwide Race for the Cure, which raises funds for breast cancer research, uses the color pink as well.

"That's the last think I want to do, is to offend a cancer victim, someone who I know how strong and brave they are," Nutt said. "That was the last thing on our mind, to discredit somebody who has shown a lot of toughness. I've had members of my family who had cancer."

Nutt said the coaches are considering another color, possibly burnt orange, the color of Arkansas rival Texas.

Heh.

ENDelt260
04-05-2005, 11:33 AM
You gotta be f*cking kidding me. Now breast cancer owns the color pink?

I think it's kind of odd their practice jerseys were pink in the first place. But, this explanation for the change is absolutely asinine.

Chest Rockwell
04-05-2005, 11:38 AM

I think it's kind of odd their practice jerseys were pink in the first place. But, this explanation for the change is absolutely asinine.

Exactly what I thought when I read this story on ESPN this morning. Somebody's got waaaay too much f*cking time on their hands and some large object wedged waaay to far up their ass.

I'm pretty sure breast cancer victims have things other than lazy-ass Arkansas football players being humilitated by wearing jerseys the color of their awareness ribbon to worry about. Good thing somebody's got their back on this one.

Sheesh.

Skip Towne
04-05-2005, 11:42 AM
I wonder if Sherriff Joe is involved in this?

Braincase
04-05-2005, 11:42 AM

I remember working in Cali and wearing my typical black. I had Raider fans coming up to me, talking about football. I had to have a little fun and remind them that "our Raiders aren't anything until we can consistently beat the Chiefs".

Uh huh. Black isn't even a color... it's an attitude. :p

Brock
04-05-2005, 11:43 AM
Mr. Pink sounds too much like Mr. Pussy. I'll be Mr. Purple.

ENDelt260
04-05-2005, 11:44 AM
I wonder if Sherriff Joe is involved in this?
Heh. I should somehow get some breast cancer folks bitchin' about his tent city undies.

I'm sure he'd love the free publicity.

Simplex3
04-05-2005, 11:44 AM
This is f**king insane. We better make a law and burn all the pink underwear and bras, that's like putting a breast cancer survivor on your ass. Better get rid of pink Kleenex, snot isn't cool. And what does Pepto-Bismol say? Breast cancer survivors give you heartburn and diarrhea? Those insensitive pricks at Procter & Gamble should be sued!

Skip Towne
04-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Heh. I should somehow get some breast cancer folks bitchin' about his tent city undies.

I'm sure he'd love the free publicity.
You should do it. I'm sure he would run right out and change things. He's sensitive like that.

Rain Man
04-05-2005, 12:04 PM
If they change to apricot, they're going to get a very nasty letter.

Simplex3
04-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Ok damnit. Here's a list of the "official" ribbon colors JUST FOR CANCER:
http://www.choosehope.com/

Pink Breast Cancer
Teal Ovarian Cancer
Clear Lung Cancer
Purple Pancreatic Cancer
Orange Leukemia
Black Melanoma
Dark Blue Colon Cancer
Burgundy Multiple Myeloma
Grey Brain Cancer
Blue Prostate Cancer
Gold Childhood Cancers
Lavender General cancer Awareness
Lime Green Lymphoma
Peach Uterine Cancer
Kelly Green Kidney cancer
Yellow Sarcoma/Bone Cancer
Teal/White Cervical Cancer
Burgundy/Ivory Head and Neck Cancer

Here are some for cancer and other causes:
http://www.productsforthecure.com/pages/ribbons.html

Basically there isn't a sports team anywhere in the world that can suit up. I thought about joking that if we gave them all Saran Wrap uniforms we could get past it, but then I notice that CLEAR IS TAKEN BY LUNG CANCER!

The proper response from Arkansas was "Go f**k yourself you titless wonder." :cuss:

jcroft
04-05-2005, 12:24 PM
Okay, this is totally idiotic, I agree with most of you on that.

What I don't get is: why would anyone be embarrassed to have to wear pink in the first place? Is pink a punishment? It's been one of the hottest colors in men's fashion for a couple of years now, and ESPECIALLY in the hip-hop culture so many football players identify with. I don't get it.

Lzen
04-05-2005, 12:37 PM
Okay, this is totally idiotic, I agree with most of you on that.

What I don't get is: why would anyone be embarrassed to have to wear pink in the first place? Is pink a punishment? It's been one of the hottest colors in men's fashion for a couple of years now, and ESPECIALLY in the hip-hop culture so many football players identify with. I don't get it.

I didn't know about the fashion stuff. But pink has traditionally been a sissy color. A color for women, not men.

Simplex3
04-05-2005, 12:49 PM
I didn't know about the fashion stuff. But pink has traditionally been a sissy color. A color for women, not men.
If it's a color for women that explains why today's fashion conscious "men" are wearing it.

Lzen
04-05-2005, 12:55 PM
If it's a color for women that explains why today's fashion conscious "men" are wearing it.

Heh, that's why I used the term "traditionally". Something tells me you have on a pink shirt today. :hmmm:

jcroft
04-05-2005, 12:58 PM

I understand that at one time males had brains like cavemen and actually bought into this sort of thing, but that's definitely not true anymore -- guys can be seen wearing pink at any mall, club, bar, etc. And like I said, perhaps the MOST common type of guy you'll see wearing pink is the stereotypical "hip-hop" guy -- and a lot of today's athlete's fit right into that mold.

I can't imagine many of them really think, "oh damn, I have to wear the pink jersey? God, that is SOO embarrassing. i am such a sissy!".

That might have worked 50 years ago, but not today.

ENDelt260
04-05-2005, 12:59 PM
Jeff's opinion on this matter is not to be trusted.

Simplex3
04-05-2005, 01:00 PM
Heh, that's why I used the term "traditionally". Something tells me you have on a pink shirt today. :hmmm:
Grey, actually. I haven't had pink in my wardrobe since the early 80's when I was in jr. high and needed it to get into girl's shirts.

Lzen
I understand that at one time males had brains like cavemen and actually bought into this sort of thing, but that's definitely not true anymore -- guys can be seen wearing pink at any mall, club, bar, etc. And like I said, perhaps the MOST common type of guy you'll see wearing pink is the stereotypical "hip-hop" guy -- and a lot of today's athlete's fit right into that mold.

I can't imagine many of them really think, "oh damn, I have to wear the pink jersey? God, that is SOO embarrassing. i am such a sissy!".

That might have worked 50 years ago, but not today.

Have you got a better explanation? I imagine the coach is old school. And yeah, I have worn a pink shirt before. So piss off.
:p

beavis
We should buy up those jerseys for the Chiefs D.

jcroft
04-05-2005, 01:02 PM
Have you got a better explanation? I imagine the coach is old school. And yeah, I have worn a pink shirt before. So piss off.
:p

My point is simply that the coach (who I'm sure is old school) is probably not getting through to his players (who are not likely old school) with the lame "punishment."

jcroft
04-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Jeff's opinion on this matter is not to be trusted.

Yeah, 'tis much better to trust the opinion of ENDelt, who has proven time and time again that he knows everything about everything.

ENDelt260
04-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Yeah, 'tis much better to trust the opinion of ENDelt, who has proven time and time again that he knows everything about everything.
See, now you're making sense.

Brock
04-05-2005, 01:10 PM
And like I said, perhaps the MOST common type of guy you'll see wearing pink is the stereotypical "hip-hop" guy -- and a lot of today's athlete's fit right into that mold.

Um, no. Unless hip hop guy is another word for metrosexual.

jcroft
04-05-2005, 01:15 PM
Um, no. Unless hip hop guy is another word for metrosexual.

Take a look at the current mens lines of G-Unit, Sean John, Ecko, etc. There's PLENTY of pink in there. Admittedly, pink is a bit on it's way out, but over the past year or two, it's been VERY popular.

Simplex3
04-05-2005, 01:26 PM
Take a look at the current mens lines of G-Unit, Sean John, Ecko, etc. There's PLENTY of pink in there. Admittedly, pink is a bit on it's way out, but over the past year or two, it's been VERY popular.
:spock: Something you need to tell us there DenverChief?

Lzen
04-05-2005, 01:29 PM
My point is simply that the coach (who I'm sure is old school) is probably not getting through to his players (who are not likely old school) with the lame "punishment."

Ok, that makes sense.

Lzen
04-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Perhaps instead of making them wear pink jerseys for loafing, they could make them wear skirts. The Chiefs should try this with their defense. :fire:

Saulbadguy
04-05-2005, 01:32 PM
Perhaps instead of making them wear pink jerseys for loafing, they could make them wear skirts. The Chiefs should try this with their defense. :fire:
Either that or Raiders jerseys.

Simplex3
04-05-2005, 01:46 PM
Either that or Raiders jerseys.
That would offend retarded people and degenerates wouldn't it?

buddha
04-05-2005, 01:51 PM

Not that there's anything WRONG with men wearing pink and feeling "pretty"!

Another case of political correctness gone crazy!