PDA

View Full Version : **FFToday Homer Draft** 3rd round selection

Kyle401
04-05-2005, 04:24 PM
After the 2nd round pick it seems like a good idea to get more feedback and discussion started before we are on the clock.

Therefore, with our 3.99 pick:

What position/s should we target?

Who should we target?

Click for list of players chosen (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=113119)

cmh6476
04-06-2005, 07:22 AM
looks like we really don't need to target a DE here, since we'll probably use the Hicks, Allen, Hall rotation.

We still need a LB, but I'm not sur of the talent level at this pick. That still seems like a pretty good option.

I could also see us going QB, HB, or WR here.

Kyle401
04-06-2005, 08:52 AM
looks like we really don't need to target a DE here, since we'll probably use the Hicks, Allen, Hall rotation.

We still need a LB, but I'm not sur of the talent level at this pick. That still seems like a pretty good option.

I could also see us going QB, HB, or WR here.

I agree on the DE, if we keep all of them. I know some on the board were looking for Canty in the 3rd and he would be a great pick here if he's still available. But, the addition of Hall makes this pick less practical unless we release a DE (Hicks, Wilkerson, Stills?).

I would like a linebacker here, but there is not really anyone left who stands out. There just doesn't seem to be good value at LB here.

Right now Andrew Walter, Kyle Orton, and Ryan Fitzpatrick are still on the board, so there is pretty good value left at the QB position. But, if all are still available at 3.99, it is likely that at least one will remain at our next pick at 4.116.

With the Missouri tandem of Mosely and Ellison still available, there is still excellent value at the DT position. Babineaux is also still available, although he will likely play DE at the pro level.

Overall, I think that if Canty or Mosely is available at this pick, it would be a mistake to pass on them. Both are regarded by many as mid 2nd round prospects. If both are available, I would take Canty and release whichever DE makes the most sense fiscally. Hopefully this would allow us to pursue Sharper, who would have a much greater impact than any of the LB's we could look at here.

ChiefsCountry
04-06-2005, 09:00 AM
Dustin Colquitt, P Tennessee
Kyle Orton, QB Purdue

Pick one of them. Punter position could be solved for years to come, which is a big need. Orton could be a solid QBOTF pick.

I say go with Colquitt, bc he could help the team out big this season.

milkman
04-06-2005, 09:02 AM
Kyle Orton, QB Purdue

Pick one of them. Punter position could be solved for years to come, which is a big need. Orton could be a solid QBOTF pick.

NO!

Coogs
04-06-2005, 09:07 AM
Kyle Orton, QB Purdue

If we could get both of these two with our 3rd and 4th, that would be great.

But I suppose all the DefHo's want 11 draft picks spent on CB's and LB's.

ChiefsCountry
04-06-2005, 09:10 AM
If we could get both of these two with our 3rd and 4th, that would be great.

But I suppose all the DefHo's want 11 draft picks spent on CB's and LB's.

Exactly, we have holes to fill on offense and special teams as well. FA's we got should help the defense but to draft all defense is just plain stupid.

Kyle401
04-06-2005, 09:49 AM
Exactly, we have holes to fill on offense and special teams as well. FA's we got should help the defense but to draft all defense is just plain stupid.

I agree on a taking a QB with our 3rd or 4th, but I don't know about taking a punter this high. We need one, but... maybe we could get Cheek some of that cream that Sauerbrun was using, maybe that would help.

Lono
04-06-2005, 09:53 AM
We need a qualiy DT. If mosely is up I vote to take him. If not take Orton.

Kyle401
04-06-2005, 10:12 AM
What do you guys think about trying to trade our top 2 5ths (5.147 & 5.150) for another 4th in the 4.118 - 4.128 range?

In that scenario I would look for Canty/Mosely with the 3rd, a QB with 4.116 and possibly Colquitt with the 4th gained in the trade.

Kyle401
04-06-2005, 10:23 AM
Mosely is now gone to the Saints at 3.82

KChiefs1
04-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Ellison DT Missouri would be my choice. He is better than Mosely.

Coogs
04-06-2005, 11:31 AM
I agree on a taking a QB with our 3rd or 4th, but I don't know about taking a punter this high. We need one, but... maybe we could get Cheek some of that cream that Sauerbrun was using, maybe that would help.

I did some checking, and the Raiders took Lechler in the 5th round. While Colquitt is good, we might be able to get him int the 5th as well.

Lono
04-06-2005, 11:32 AM
He is good but he isnt better than Mosley. I vote to take Orton if he is still there.

htismaqe
04-06-2005, 11:49 AM
Kyle Orton?

If we draft Kyle Orton, I think I'll find a new team...

Kyle401
04-06-2005, 11:58 AM
Chris Canty is now gone as well, :cuss:Seahags.

htismaqe
04-06-2005, 12:02 PM
This is where Carl Peterson steps up and drafts Craphonso Thorpe, WR...

Spicy McHaggis
04-06-2005, 12:09 PM
I'd look at Bill Swancutt and Jordan Beck. They don't have great tangibles but they can flat out play ball.

Spicy McHaggis
04-06-2005, 12:10 PM

I didn't notice he was still on the board. I wouldn't mind taking him actually. Kinda thin though.

Kyle401
04-06-2005, 12:36 PM
I'd look at Bill Swancutt and Jordan Beck. They don't have great tangibles but they can flat out play ball.

They are both my board. Beck has terrific athleticism and is smart as well (27 on Wonderlic) he was consistently in the top 5 or so in most of the combine drills. Swancutt is a motor guy who would be great if Allen gains enough bulk to play LDE.

Additional LB's to consider:

Marcus Lawrence, South Carolina - Link to interview (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/interviews/05/marcuslawrence.html) Link to Combine Results (http://www.draftboardinsider.com/ilb.html)

Adam Seward, UNLV - See above link for combine results, He was extremely productive in college (averaged over 100 tackles per year) but, has slipped under the radar because he was supposed to be a hustle player who wasn't athletic enough for the next level. He exceeded expectations at the combine.

htismaqe
04-06-2005, 01:21 PM
They are both my board. Beck has terrific athleticism and is smart as well (27 on Wonderlic) he was consistently in the top 5 or so in most of the combine drills. Swancutt is a motor guy who would be great if Allen gains enough bulk to play LDE.

Additional LB's to consider:

Marcus Lawrence, South Carolina - Link to interview (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/interviews/05/marcuslawrence.html) Link to Combine Results (http://www.draftboardinsider.com/ilb.html)

Adam Seward, UNLV - See above link for combine results, He was extremely productive in college (averaged over 100 tackles per year) but, has slipped under the radar because he was supposed to be a hustle player who wasn't athletic enough for the next level. He exceeded expectations at the combine.

Dude, you've done your homework. I'm impressed.

We needed another REAL draftnik! :bravo:

ChiefsCountry
04-06-2005, 02:46 PM

Florida State receivers scare me. I'm not just talking about Snoop either. Other than Coles what FSU reciever has done anything?

Kyle401
04-06-2005, 03:23 PM
Dude, you've done your homework. I'm impressed.

We needed another REAL draftnik! :bravo:

Thanks, I have stayed on top of the prospects a little better this year.

Kyle401
04-06-2005, 03:34 PM
Florida State receivers scare me. I'm not just talking about Snoop either. Other than Coles what FSU reciever has done anything?

Peter Warrick has been steady if unspectacular. I'm sure there are others (better examples) that I can't think of. I have never really bought into the idea that a given school will always produce busts at particular positions.

Kyle401
04-07-2005, 07:15 AM
Of the players mentioned in this thread, C. Thorpe and A. Ellison are now off the board.

We are currently 2 picks away from our selection. LB seems to be the consensus position we should target. I will set up a poll with Beck, Seward, Lawrence (at LB) and the top player available at each of the other positions that recieved votes.