PDA

View Full Version : KCChiefs.com: Trent's Extreme Home Makeover Interview

NewChief
04-06-2005, 04:49 PM
http://kcchiefs.com/news/2005/04/06/get_the_extreme_scoop_part_ii_trent_green/

his week, Chiefs QB Trent Green and FB Tony Richardson are helping out a Kansas City family on the set of ABC’s hit reality show “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.” Along with host Ty Pennington and his “extreme” squad, Trent and Tony are pitching in as local firefighter Stephen Johnson and his five children have their 1,200-square-foot house transformed. Even though the episode won’t air until the middle of May, Trent and Tony are sharing their experiences exclusively on kcchiefs.com.

Here’s the second of a special two-part look behind the scenes at the Johnson residence thanks to two-time team MVP Trent Green:

kcchiefs.com: Trent, we spoke with Tony Richardson yesterday regarding his thoughts on the “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition” project. What were impressions of the first day that Tony and you were on the set?

TG: It was really great to go down there and see how the whole process works. Everything has been thought out. I think that when you watch the show, you sometimes don’t appreciate how much went into planning the house. They didn’t just show up and say “Now what?” They had everything planned out and knew what everyone’s job responsibility was. There is anywhere from 100-150 people working on the house at any given time. Before the crew even showed up, there was an initial crew that did a lot of legwork on things like permits and lining up local contractors. In fact, that first crew wasn’t even there when I came back on Tuesday. They had already moved on to a house in Arizona. I guess that they work 3-4 weeks in advance to get everything prepared.
But I think that the most important thing to me was finding out about the Johnson’s. I know that Tony shared his impressions yesterday regarding our conversation with Mary Seymour and why she nominated the family. However, she wasn’t the only one who had inspirational stories about the family. There were so many members of the community, be it neighbors or other friends, who wanted to thank us on the family’s behalf for doing this. It was very touching and I’m sure that Tony felt the same.

kcchiefs.com: Tony told us that Carol Vermeil joined the both of you at the house on Monday. Did you have anyone accompany you when you stopped by the next day?

TG: The whole Green clan went over with me this time. My wife Julie is a big fan, as are our two sons T.J. and Derek. They wanted to see what it was all about. I don’t think you’ll get a chance to see them when the show airs on a Sunday. However, the following day they televise their behind the scenes show called “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, How’d They Do That?” and you’ll probably see them pop up then.

kcchiefs.com: Did your family enjoy themselves?

TG: You could say that. Ty had us each grab megaphones and yell all around the house. We were shouting words of encouragement to the workers and trying to lighten the mood a little since they had been working so hard.
We all absolutely had a blast meeting Ty. He is such a truly genuine person. He is able to understand the importance of the project as a whole and yet recognize that there has to be some lighter moments take place in order to break up the monotony of the task at hand.
For us, it was kind of an amazing experience being on the set and meeting Ty. We are all big fans of the show. I don’t think that Julie has seen one episode that she’s been able to keep from crying over. They are just so powerful. Both of my boys watch it every week with us and, if we aren’t able to watch it, we are sure to tape it.

kcchiefs.com: So, can you share what activities you got to partake in while you were there?

TG: I can’t tell you a whole lot. I will say that most of what I did on Tuesday involved Ty and one of the carpenters, Ed Saunders. I was offering some of my “expertise” on how to incorporate the special “additions” that Tony and I had dropped off the day before. I think it is going to be amazing when it is finished. I don’t even want to ruin the surprise of where in the house we’re putting the items or what they were but I have a very good feeling that they will go great with the surrounding environment.

kcchiefs.com: Then your scene wasn’t a very demanding one?

TG: Well, I wouldn’t necessarily say that. I almost forgot to share this part. While I was there, Ty surprised me at one point. I was going over something with Ed and Ty snuck behind me. Before I knew it, he had tackled me to the ground. He had pretty good form for someone that works on houses for a career.

kcchiefs.com: Does that mean that you think Ty has a football career in his future?

TG: Well, let me answer that by telling you the result of Ty’s little “sack” of me. While he got a pretty good shot in, I think that he might need to work on his speed. After I hit the ground, Ty started laughing and tried to run away from me. He was zigzagging all throughout the house to try and lose me. I think that he thought he could give me the slip because he knew the house’s new layout much better than I did. The only thing he didn’t consider is that Ed knew his way around the house just as well. So, Ed helped me track down Ty and the two of use were able to get in a little retaliation.
I don’t know if that will make the final cut or not but just incase, I thought I’d let everyone know that I was able to get back at Ty.

kcchiefs.com: It sounds like you had a pretty good tour of the inside as you were chasing Ty then. Tony wasn’t able to see the inside of the house as much as it sounds like you did. Can you share anything about it for us?

TG: Not really. I will say that now everyone will have much more space. I think that we can all relate to being teenagers. There are just some times that you need your own area to collect your thoughts. The way the house use to be, that was impossible. The way it looks like things will work out, everyone will get an opportunity for that individualized time.
But the crew is not just putting their signature on the inside of the house. They are really changing everything that revolves around the family and their everyday life in an attempt to give them a better opportunity to thrive. That is such a great gift that I can’t really even describe if I was allowed to.

kcchiefs.com: Were you able to get any tips from Ty or Ed about your own remodeling project?

TG: I didn’t have much time to talk “shop” with them. I will say that the guys I have on my crew are great but there’s only so much that they can do. Maybe I need to look at getting a 150 people to come in and work around the clock. (Laughs) I bet that would speed up the process.

kcchiefs.com: What are your overall feelings about having the opportunity of being involved with the house?

TG: As I said, my whole family is a big fan of the show and we know what it stands for. I was honored to be involved… even more so when I heard what a deserving person Mr. Johnson is. What more can I say. I know that in a very small way, I’ve helped to make a difference in their lives.
I realize that there are so many needy people in Kansas City. I wish that I could do more to help out every single one of them. I wish I had the ability to do something like this every day. Throwing a game-winning touchdown is something that gives me an incredible rush. But being involved in a project like this is so much more powerful to me. Ten years from now, this family will still remember the little bit of involvement I had in changing their lives. I’m not sure if anything I do on the field will come anywhere close to that. It’s just something that sticks with a person forever. I will cherish this experience for quite some time. I am so glad that I received this opportunity.

kcchiefs.com: And we are so glad that you stopped by to share a little bit of your thoughts. Thanks so much for sharing with us your experiences from these last two days. It sounds like the Johnson’s will have quite a surprise waiting for them when they return!
– CHIEFS IN THE COMMUNITY, JOIN OUR TEAM –

siberian khatru
04-06-2005, 04:52 PM
I'll wait for some paragraphs and/or spaces.

NewChief
04-06-2005, 04:53 PM
I'll wait for some paragraphs and/or spaces.

Sorry, cut and pasted didn't put them in.