PDA

View Full Version : Win 2k Server transfer

"Bob" Dobbs
04-07-2005, 01:46 AM
Hey all...
Hopefully some of you can keep me from getting into trouble.
I'm replacing a Win 2K Server box at work. A couple of thoughts/questions...

If I replace the OS on the old server box with, for example, XP, is it legal to use the original Win2k Server license on the NEW one? Seems that as long as I'm not breaking the "one PC per license" rule, it SHOULD be ok... but after all, we're talking about Microsoft here...

If I CAN keep the original license, here's my plan. On the old server, install the NEW motherboard drivers, then swap that boot drive to the new box. Will Windows boot or bitch? I need to spend as LITTLE TIME AS POSSIBLE in reconfiguring the server, reinstalling apps, etc. Seems to me that as long as the motherboard drivers are correct Windows SHOULDN'T have a problem booting with the new hardware. I've been told that this SHOULD work, but I'm leery. I figure I can install the other drivers w/o too many problems, but my main goal is to get it to boot right off the bat.

As a disclaimer, yeah, i'm gonna back everything up and assume i have to start from scratch in reconfiguring everything, but it would sure be good to avoid that hassle.

Discuss.

thanks in advance, btw.

Phobia
04-07-2005, 02:12 AM
Hey all...
Hopefully some of you can keep me from getting into trouble.
I'm replacing a Win 2K Server box at work. A couple of thoughts/questions...

If I replace the OS on the old server box with, for example, XP, is it legal to use the original Win2k Server license on the NEW one? Seems that as long as I'm not breaking the "one PC per license" rule, it SHOULD be ok... but after all, we're talking about Microsoft here...

If I CAN keep the original license, here's my plan. On the old server, install the NEW motherboard drivers, then swap that boot drive to the new box. Will Windows boot or bitch? I need to spend as LITTLE TIME AS POSSIBLE in reconfiguring the server, reinstalling apps, etc. Seems to me that as long as the motherboard drivers are correct Windows SHOULDN'T have a problem booting with the new hardware. I've been told that this SHOULD work, but I'm leery. I figure I can install the other drivers w/o too many problems, but my main goal is to get it to boot right off the bat.

As a disclaimer, yeah, i'm gonna back everything up and assume i have to start from scratch in reconfiguring everything, but it would sure be good to avoid that hassle.

Discuss.

thanks in advance, btw.

Regarding your first question - as long as your licensing with MS is standard, you may move Win2K from one piece of hardware to another so long as they aren't both production simultaneously.

I'd be scared to take the steps you're suggesting in your second question. There's a lot of hardware specific drivers loaded in that OS, not just mobo drivers. I think you're asking for trouble. Why can't you just restore your backup on top of a newly loaded and configured server?

Here's my disclaimer: I've been out of the IT industry for 3 years. While I had worked on countless Win2k servers, I no longer consider myself an expert. If somebody contradicts my answers, they're likely more credible than me.

dirk digler
04-07-2005, 08:03 AM
Is the server a Domain Controller or a Member Server?

If it is a domain controller I wouldn't mess with it.

Phobia is right on the first part and I would think that when you put in the new motherboard it should boot up fine.

Windows 2k should ask for drivers when it loads and then you can load the drivers that way.

"Bob" Dobbs
04-07-2005, 08:39 AM
It's not a domain server. I DO know that I tried something similar once before on a machine at home and got a BSOD with "inaccessible boot device". The IDE drivers were the wrong ones; which is why i think it'd work as long as I install the chipset drivers first. Then again, I could be fulla $hit. Like I said, i'm looking for the easiest angle, but in the long run, Phobia may be right that it'd be easier to restore a backup onto the new machine. I do NOT want to reconfigure the machine name, IP addy's, user/groups, etc. I want everything configured identically to the old machine.

dirk digler
04-07-2005, 08:50 AM
It's not a domain server. I DO know that I tried something similar once before on a machine at home and got a BSOD with "inaccessible boot device". The IDE drivers were the wrong ones; which is why i think it'd work as long as I install the chipset drivers first. Then again, I could be fulla $hit. Like I said, i'm looking for the easiest angle, but in the long run, Phobia may be right that it'd be easier to restore a backup onto the new machine. I do NOT want to reconfigure the machine name, IP addy's, user/groups, etc. I want everything configured identically to the old machine.

Hmmm... I have switched out a ton of hard drives to new motherboards without any issues other than having to load the new motherboard drivers once the OS has loaded.

penguinz
04-07-2005, 09:11 AM
Hmmm... I have switched out a ton of hard drives to new motherboards without any issues other than having to load the new motherboard drivers once the OS has loaded.
This wil lwork as long as the new MB uses the same drivers. If you try to do this on an OS that uses an NT kernel you will get the inaccessable boot device error.

If I replace the OS on the old server box with, for example, XP, is it legal to use the original Win2k Server license on the NEW one? Seems that as long as I'm not breaking the "one PC per license" rule, it SHOULD be ok... but after all, we're talking about Microsoft here...This is legal as long as it is a Retail version of W2k. If it is OEM the licensing is bound to the original machine. Although I seriously doubt MS would do anything about this if they ever found out as long as it in only on one machine.

The proper way to move a W2k/XP/2003 install to use the MS backup utility to do a full backup of the install. Once this is done do a clean install on the new machine. Do all your driver and OS updates. Once this is finished use the MS backup utilty to restore the backup you made. This will restore all the old programs and settings while keeping the new drivers and OS updates.

"Bob" Dobbs
04-07-2005, 09:24 AM
This is legal as long as it is a Retail version of W2k. If it is OEM the licensing is bound to the original machine. Although I seriously doubt MS would do anything about this if they ever found out as long as it in only on one machine.

If it ever became an issue, my story would be "it IS the original machine... I just upgraded the mobo, cpu, ram, AND the case." ;)

"Bob" Dobbs
04-07-2005, 09:25 AM
The proper way to move a W2k/XP/2003 install to use the MS backup utility to do a full backup of the install. Once this is done do a clean install on the new machine. Do all your driver and OS updates. Once this is finished use the MS backup utilty to restore the backup you made. This will restore all the old programs and settings while keeping the new drivers and OS updates.

This looks like the way to go. Rep. Thanks.

penguinz
04-07-2005, 09:32 AM
Hope it works out for you. Just remember to back everything up first just in case ;)

"Bob" Dobbs
04-09-2005, 04:52 PM
As a followup, I went ahead and went with the clean install/reinstall route. After the FOURTH Windows install, I said screw it. Luckily ALL the databases and data are on a different partition, so I can just copy that partition to the new server once configuration is done. Rename the new server with the old server's name and I shouldnt have to remap anyone. It's Millertime.