PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else trying and/or need to lose weight?

Simplex3
04-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Planet Fatties Unite!

[***** UPDATE *****]

We have a new Forum, "The Gilbert Brown Zone (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=33)" (thanks Phobia). It's named after the fattest man in the NFL (thanks Rain Man). It's a place for those of us trying to lose weight to gather and post our measurements, ask advice, seek support, whatever. I expect we'll name a biggest loser (or top 3 or 5 if there are enough participants) on the first of every month for the preceeding month.

I've uploaded a spreadsheet I use to track my progress, so if you're looking for an easy way to monitor yourself and perform the necessary calculations it's already done for you.

If you have some health issues (especially weight to lose) I hope to see you there.

[***** START ORIGINAL MESSAGE *****]

(This is not a sales pitch. I'm not selling anything.)

Recently there was a thread asking how heavy everyone was. I was surprised at the number of people that were more than a little heavy. I'll apologize up front for not being able to think of a way to make this shorter.

This is to those of you who, like me, are tired of the only shape you're in being "round". As the likely undisputed heavyweight title holder, I'm currently dropping some weight and in the last month I'm down from 315 (where I've been for 2+ years) to 308. I'm trying to avoid what I'm sure most of you would also like to avoid, including increased risk of:

Diabetes
Heart disease
Cancer
Joint damage to hips, knees, and ankles
Shortened life span

I am resolved to not be one of those people on the commercials for those power chairs and scooters for no reason other than I was fat and destroyed my legs. I refuse to:

Die before I see my kids marry
Die before I have grandkids
Be unable to play with my grandkids
Spend my final years bedridden and disease-riddled

I want to live a full and healthy life. Quality, not quantity, but preferable both.

WITH THAT SAID, HERE IS WHAT I'M MISSING FROM MY PROGRAM, and maybe you are too:

Peer support. It's been proven time and again that peer support groups motivate. They motivate both people motivated by fear and people motivated by pride. They help when you have off weeks by showing that other people have had off weeks but managed to get back on their program.

I'm not promoting that we do a certain diet or do a certain exercise program. I think we should each do our own thing, whatever that may be. It would be nice for us to share with eachother what is and isn't working, but that isn't the goal.

What I am promoting is that we share and compare numbers, particularly body fat %. I use the US Navy circumference method of body fat calculation, it can be done with a string and a tape measure, alone, in the privacy of your home, and is proven to be accurate. I even have a spreadsheet I'll happily share that keeps track of your measurements semi-monthly and calculates differences. It has a log to track exercise and one that tracks weight daily with a graph. If enough people decide this is a good idea I even propose we do some competing similar to "The Biggest Loser" from TV. We can do individual recognition, say the top three or five losers from the previous month posted somewhere. Since I'm most concerned with body fat and not pounds, that would be my preferred measurement but I'm open to change there.

How do we pull it off technically? I think a forum would work wonderfully, possibly we could coerce the mods here to give us one for this project? If not I certainly have the available hardware and expertise to set one up specifically for this.

So, if this is remotely interresting, let's hear it. Or, just ridicule me. I can take it.

Phobia
04-07-2005, 12:04 PM
I'm darn near perfect just the way I am, but I'll participate because a little conditioning never hurt anybody. I just started running again last week.

I kicked low carb to the curb because I decided the reason I lost all the weight 18 months ago was because I was killing myself 15 hours a day with work and playing softball 4x a week in 100 degree heat. The low carbs weren't the miracle.

Just tell me what you want to name the forum.

Hoover
04-07-2005, 12:05 PM
For the last year I have been getting healthy

I did a blood work up yesterday and today they said everything is where it should be. Now I just need to kick up the weight loss this summer.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-07-2005, 12:07 PM
I think it's a cool idea. I've lost some weight over the last few months trying to go low carb but I'm not good at it and want to lose more.

Simplex3
04-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Since the almighty Phobia has offered a forum, if you're interrested in joining throw up any name ideas you have while you're at it.

go bowe
04-07-2005, 12:17 PM
gee, this sounds like a good idea all right...

i'd really like to get back under 400 pounds someday...

380 would be nice... :D

Phobia
04-07-2005, 12:18 PM
gee, this sounds like a good idea all right...

i'd really like to get back under 400 pounds someday...

380 would be nice... :D

You want to go running with me tonight? ;)

siberian khatru
04-07-2005, 12:19 PM
I could stand to lose 10 pounds, but I don't want to cut my dick off.

(he tees it up ... )

Phobia
04-07-2005, 12:21 PM
I could stand to lose 10 pounds, but I don't want to cut my dick off.[/SIZE]

Just tell your boyfriend to pull out.

siberian khatru
04-07-2005, 12:22 PM
Just tell your boyfriend to pull out.

MY dick, not his ... I mean, not that there IS a he ... I mean, uh ...

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Since the almighty Phobia has offered a forum, if you're interrested in joining throw up any name ideas you have while you're at it.
Chiefs Planet Fat Farm

Rain Man
04-07-2005, 12:26 PM
I'm in. I need to lose 20 pounds over the next year, and that's tough to do when people are leaving Good 'N' Plentys all over the ground.

C-Mac
04-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Ionamin(prescription) ...simply the best "weight loss" aid available.
:thumb:

Simplex3
04-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Chiefs Planet Fat Farm
ROFL

While amusing (and I would certainly be Ok with it) would we scare off some people who are already a little timid about their weight? On second thought, if they can't handle clicking the word fat they sure the hell won't be able to post their measurements. 'Cause I was kind of thinking simply:

"Fat Planet"

C-Mac
04-07-2005, 12:30 PM
I'm in. I need to lose 20 pounds over the next year, and that's tough to do when people are leaving Good 'N' Plentys all over the ground.

You know how hard it is to find these at a WalMart?
I usually have to go to Sams Club and buy the 10 pounder!

Phobia
04-07-2005, 12:32 PM

Cross thread humor is the best kind because you know there are tons of lurkers wondering WTF is going on, "Good 'N' Plentys - what is this guy talking about?"

C-Mac
04-07-2005, 12:33 PM
ROFL

While amusing (and I would certainly be Ok with it) would we scare off some people who are already a little timid about their weight? On second thought, if they can't handle clicking the word fat they sure the hell won't be able to post their measurements. 'Cause I was kind of thinking simply:

"Fat Planet"

Geez, it not like your requesting naked pictures of us fatoids, just go to a thread and read.
:shake:

C-Mac
04-07-2005, 12:34 PM
Cross thread humor is the best kind because you know there are tons of lurkers wondering WTF is going on, "Good 'N' Plentys - what is this guy talking about?"

...........yet it can be so dangerous.

Rain Man
04-07-2005, 12:35 PM
You know how hard it is to find these at a WalMart?
I usually have to go to Sams Club and buy the 10 pounder!

It rains Good 'N' Plentys here in Denver. You have to step over puddles of them.

As a forum name, how about "The Gilbert Brown Zone"?

C-Mac
04-07-2005, 12:36 PM
It rains Good 'N' Plentys here in Denver. You have to step over puddles of them.

Ya..... but I like the white ones too.

Simplex3
04-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Nice. :clap:

Simplex3
04-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Geez, it not like your requesting naked pictures of us fatoids, just go to a thread and read.
:shake:
Uh, as a matter of fact I would request you NOT post pictures of yourself (unless you're a chick and you've reached your weight loss goal already).

;)

C-Mac
04-07-2005, 12:44 PM
Uh, as a matter of fact I would request you NOT post pictures of yourself (unless you're a chick and you've reached your weight loss goal already).

;)

but.....

Simplex3
04-07-2005, 05:26 PM
bump for the update and the night Planeteers

morphius
04-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Ohhhh sure!!! As of two weeks ago I lost my 31 pounds, which was my goal.

I followed a loose version of weightwatchers, just had the books, didn't go to meetings or anything like that. Lifted weights for 45-75 minutes 3 times a week (started off at 75, but grew stronger and in better shape so was able to get through it faster), with the opposite night running 30 minutes on an elliptical machine. Cut out non-diet soda, except at restraunts, cut out the before bed snack, and drank lots of water.

31 pounds in 10 weeks, now just working on some toning and trying to switch my workout to build muscle and tone up the fat that is left.

Good luck guys!

Phobia
04-07-2005, 06:26 PM
Ohhhh sure!!! As of two weeks ago I lost my 31 pounds, which was my goal.

You bastard. I'll bet I wouldn't even recognize you on the street.

Has all that lost weight relaxed your tongue and jaws so you can open your mouth more frequently?

morphius
04-07-2005, 06:36 PM
You bastard. I'll bet I wouldn't even recognize you on the street.

Has all that lost weight relaxed your tongue and jaws so you can open your mouth more frequently?
LOL! Sadly the mouth appears to be the same. I have to say it has been pretty sweet, I now look like what I remember myself looking like, not that fat stranger in the mirror. But I did work my ass off for it.

Plus it was pretty neat when the neighbors wife just went, "You look gooood", even caught the only cute girl on our floor giving me the look up and down, even a few days after we talked about my lost weight.

Last 2/3 weeks have lost 3 pounds just trying to hold weight, so thats a good sign of me being able to keep it off. Of course I'm pretty easy to recognize, I'm the guy walking around with no clothes that fit him.

The scary thing is I'm thinking about losing the goat, wouldn't have done that with all the weight there.

Nzoner
04-07-2005, 06:56 PM
The scary thing is I'm thinking about losing the goat, wouldn't have done that with all the weight there.

Weight or no uncovering more of that mug is definitely scary. :D

morphius
04-07-2005, 06:59 PM
Weight or no uncovering more of that mug is definitely scary. :D
Yeah, just remember, the scary, quiet guy knows where you live...

LOL!

Nzoner
04-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Good luck to all of you.I've now lost 65 lbs over the last year and am feeling good about it,now if I can just get off the damn cigarettes.

FWIW,some of my employees did a thing awhile back where they agreed on a dollar amount and put it in a pot and set an ending date for weight loss.The one who lost the most by that date based on body fat etc won the pot.

ROYC75
04-08-2005, 08:49 AM
I need something. Really, I have been working out for 2 months, lost only 10 pounds. As for eating, I'm really try'n to just cut back on how much, how often and when I eat. Not taking anything to kick up the metabolisum ( sp ) , just working out 3 days a week, sometimes 4. I have been more active at home doing housework, repairs, things like that.

ROYC75
04-08-2005, 08:52 AM
Oh, BTW, I have gone from 310 to 300 #.Baby steps, if I quit, it will come back doubled. Really.

6 years ago, I went from 285 down to 257... I was on my way, I was taking a metabo booster along with workouts, but when I stopped it, it came back double.

C-Mac
04-08-2005, 08:54 AM
I need something. Really, I have been working out for 2 months, lost only 10 pounds. As for eating, I'm really try'n to just cut back on how much, how often and when I eat. Not taking anything to kick up the metabolisum ( sp ) , just working out 3 days a week, sometimes 4. I have been more active at home doing housework, repairs, things like that.

Ionamin.(prescription)
Absolutely the best hands down. I tried them all.
You wont feel like killing someone when you come down.
You can loose 1lb a day easily.

Simplex3
04-08-2005, 09:36 AM
Ionamin.(prescription)
Absolutely the best hands down. I tried them all.
You wont feel like killing someone when you come down.
You can loose 1lb a day easily.
Great, but what are the costs and the side effects?

Simplex3
04-08-2005, 09:41 AM
Oh, BTW, I have gone from 310 to 300 #.Baby steps, if I quit, it will come back doubled. Really.

6 years ago, I went from 285 down to 257... I was on my way, I was taking a metabo booster along with workouts, but when I stopped it, it came back double.
At my current pace I should be back under 300 in less than three weeks. I've been over 300 for at least two years.

C-Mac
04-08-2005, 09:45 AM
Great, but what are the costs and the side effects?

Even though it is perscription, you can buy Ionamin from the internet, it costs about $250 for a 3 month supply 30 mg. Of course you buy a smaller amount, just not as good of value. As long as you dont have any heart conditions or high blood pressure your good to go. It actually helped my blood pressure. It does increase you energy level evenly through out the day, so take it early in the day. Only side effects for me was mild constipation.

C-Mac
04-08-2005, 09:51 AM
At my current pace I should be back under 300 in less than three weeks. I've been over 300 for at least two years.

I started at 314 and was down to 242 in less than 4 months. I rarely did the doctor's advice to walk 30 minutes a day. The 30 day-30 pound loss plan was the 30 minute a day walk and he cut me down to 1000 calories per day...of anything I want to eat as long as it stayed around 1000 calories.
It does work and its still healthy.

morphius
04-08-2005, 10:06 AM
What is your workout? What are you eating? Are you drinking regular soda? Eating French Fries from fast food places?

Just as an example, in Weight Watchers you follow a point system, based on calories/sugar/fiber. At 200 points you get something like 26 points a day, reg soda is 3 points and the fries alone from most value meals are 14 points.

Simplex3
04-08-2005, 11:52 AM
ROYC75:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2392245#post2392245

htismaqe
04-08-2005, 12:03 PM
Even though it is perscription, you can buy Ionamin from the internet, it costs about $250 for a 3 month supply 30 mg. Of course you buy a smaller amount, just not as good of value. As long as you dont have any heart conditions or high blood pressure your good to go. It actually helped my blood pressure. It does increase you energy level evenly through out the day, so take it early in the day. Only side effects for me was mild constipation.

This is what I need.

I have tried low-carb, I've tried 1200 cals a day...no matter what I do, I'm ALWAYS hungry. I work out and lose nothing.

I lost 25 pounds on Atkins, but couldn't stay on it because of the cravings. I lost 25 pounds on Weight Watchers, but couldn't stay on it because of the cravings.

Should I investigate getting a script or just buy it on the net?

WilliamTheIrish
04-08-2005, 12:15 PM
This is what I need.

I have tried low-carb, I've tried 1200 cals a day...no matter what I do, I'm ALWAYS hungry. I work out and lose nothing.

I lost 25 pounds on Atkins, but couldn't stay on it because of the cravings. I lost 25 pounds on Weight Watchers, but couldn't stay on it because of the cravings.

Should I investigate getting a script or just buy it on the net?

Spend the co-pay and get the script. If you got some script insurance type coverage, you may be able to get it for next to nothing.

Also, be up front about it with you Dr. Sometimes you have to pound it itno their heads what you want from them in order to help yourself..

And if he has samples in the office.... tell him you want a month's worth.

Gaz
04-08-2005, 12:24 PM
I am still doing restricted carbohydrates, and expect to do so for the rest of my days. I tried low-fat and restricted calorie approaches and was miserable. I am not miserable with the restricted carbohydrate approach. “Not being miserable” may not set the bar very high, but it is crucial to your long-term success.

I do not have a target weight. I do not care how much I weigh. I care about how I look. When the pot is small enough to make me happy, I will increase the carbs until the belly starts to grow again. Then I will cut back again. Hopefully, I will be doing this dance with my gut for a long, long time.

I slap on my iRiver and walk for 30 minutes every day at lunch and take another walk after work. I avoid bread, potatoes, rice and processed sugar. The initial weight loss under Atkins is a big positive reinforcement, but what keeps me going [and the weight slowly coming off] is the fact that I am not miserable. Sure, I miss baked potatoes, but I can live without them. And now that more and more low-carb foods are coming on the market, it is easier than ever to stick with it.

I read a report the other day that compared various diets. The bottom line was that it does not matter what diet you chose as long as you can stick with it. Once you go off a diet, ANY diet, the weight will start to come back on unless you raise your exercise level to compensate. Some folks are happy with a “screw the diet, just get ripped” approach. That does not work for me. The main factor in choosing a diet is “can I make this a lifestyle change?” Dieting to lose X pounds is not a long-term solution. You have to fundamentally change the combination of diet and exercise in your daily routine.

YMMV.

xoxo~
Gaz
Still has more belly than he wants.

htismaqe
04-08-2005, 12:32 PM
Spend the co-pay and get the script. If you got some script insurance type coverage, you may be able to get it for next to nothing.

Also, be up front about it with you Dr. Sometimes you have to pound it itno their heads what you want from them in order to help yourself..

And if he has samples in the office.... tell him you want a month's worth.

My doctor is a pretty good listener and he's been bugging me to lose weight for a while.

I'm going to see him on Monday anyways, so I'll slip this in.

THANKS!

HemiEd
04-08-2005, 12:35 PM
I can not seem to keep it below 225 no matter how many beers I drink and potatoes I eat.