PDA

View Full Version : Bo Jackson sues Cali. newspaper

Coach
04-07-2005, 01:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2031331

Report alleges steroid use ended Jackson's career

Updated: Apr. 6, 2005, 9:57 PM ET

Associated Press
CHICAGO -- Bo Jackson filed a defamation lawsuit Wednesday against a California newspaper that quoted a dietary expert who said the former two-sport star used steroids.

The lawsuit was filed in Cook County against the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin, MediaNews Group Inc., MediaNews Group Interactive, Inc., sports writer Jim Mohr, who is now sports editor, and three other employees of the newspaper.

"I've got nothing to hide," Jackson said at a news conference before the White Sox's game against the Cleveland Indians. "If anyone wants to check into my medical past, go get blood tests, go check up on those blood tests and see if there was any anabolic steroids in it. You're more than welcome."

Jackson is suing for unspecified general and punitive damages. His lawyer, Dan Biederman, also said they want the newspaper to print a retraction.

Steve Lambert, the editor of the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin and The Sun of San Bernardino, said it was too early for the newspaper to comment on the lawsuit.

"We're still investigating the situation," he said.

Mohr did not immediately return a call for comment Wednesday night.

In a story published March 24 under Mohr's byline, dietary expert Ellen Coleman was quoted as saying she knew personally that "Bo Jackson lost his hip because of anabolic abuse."

Jackson, the only player to be named to the NFL's Pro Bowl and appear in baseball's All-Star game, injured his hip playing for the Oakland Raiders in 1991 in a playoff game against the Cincinnati Bengals. He did play baseball that season for the Chicago White Sox and had a hip replacement the next year. He returned to baseball in 1993 and spent one more season in Chicago before signing with the California Angels and then retiring in 1994. He won the Heisman Trophy as a running back for Auburn in 1985.

Jackson said he found the story from the newspaper online, and at least one person called him about it. Biederman said he then contacted Coleman, who denied making any statements about Jackson. She provided the lawyer with a videotape of her speech at a Riverside, Calif., sports forum to back up her claim.

"At no time during my speech or while speaking individually to Jim Mohr did I use or mention the name Bo Jackson," Coleman said in a signed affidavit.

Jackson, now a businessman who lives in suburban Chicago, talks to children about health and nutrition issues. He denied ever using or even seeing steroids in any form.

"I'm not going to sit here and say, 'Maybe I did or maybe I didn't,"' Jackson said. "I didn't. Never did. Never had to do."

HolmeZz
04-07-2005, 02:00 PM
I've always loved Bo. Greatest Athlete of All Time, IMO.

whoman69
04-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Bo doesn't know roids?

KCFalcon59
04-07-2005, 02:04 PM
It's been a long time, but I seem to recall that Bo didn't like weight training. More of a natural athlete.

Rausch
04-07-2005, 02:10 PM
Bo didn't add 30 lbs of muscle mass in 2 years, the man was a monster since grade school. He was born a freak of nature.

Roids my ass...

Woodrow Call
04-07-2005, 09:22 PM
I've always loved Bo. Greatest Athlete of All Time, IMO.

I agree 100%. It was a joke when he didn't make the ESPN top 50.

Count Alex's Losses
04-07-2005, 09:23 PM
Bo is a moron. Suing a newspaper over a quote is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Ultra Peanut
04-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Bo knows litigation!

Redcoats58
04-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Bo is a moron. Suing a newspaper over a quote is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
Defamation of character. Would you just sit back and let a newspaper destroy your image?

Count Alex's Losses
04-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Defamation of character. Would you just sit back and let a newspaper destroy your image?

An editorial is one thing. A quote is something completely different. Newspapers are protected in these kind of legal dealings. This is not libel nor is it slander.

jettio
04-07-2005, 10:16 PM
That reporter has to be a king dipsh*t, the way Bo suffered a catastrophic injury from one single incident would not suggest anything to do with steroids.

Count Alex's Losses
04-07-2005, 10:19 PM
That reporter has to be a king dipsh*t, the way Bo suffered a catastrophic injury from one single incident would not suggest anything to do with steroids.

The reporter is just running the quote he was given. Don't shoot the messenger.

stevieray
04-08-2005, 12:11 AM
"Never had to." I love this quote.

and today, there are over one million high school athletes on steroids.

Kind of ironic it's called "Juice"

Rocky
04-08-2005, 12:16 AM
That is so stupid bo wuld not take steroroids hes just a solid athlete.

Count Alex's Losses
04-08-2005, 12:18 AM
That is so stupid bo wuld not take steroroids hes just a solid athlete.

So was Canseco.

mcan
04-08-2005, 04:23 AM
Maybe he did, maybe he didn't... If I had to guess, I'd say that he probably did back in his college days. It's just hard to believe that sombody could get THAT big (220+ pounds) and be THAT fast (6.19 in the 60 yard dash) at the same time. To get that big at 6'1" you have to lift a TON of weight, and eat a TON of food. Consider that he was a constant sports guy, you have to double the amount of lifting and food for him (endurance exercise is catabolic). Consider also that he didn't have an ounce of fat on him and you've got to wonder. If he wasn't on some kind of testosterone, then I'd probably venture a guess that his body naturally produces MUCH more testosterone than the average human. That's the kind of genetics that we all wish for.

But, even if he did use steroids, that would have ZERO to do with the hip injury, and even LESS to do with the loss of his hip afterwards.

What happened to Bo was this. His hip partially went out of socket, causing the joint to become what is called "subluxed." This is not as severe as a complete dislocation. The problem is, when Bo's hip was first fixed the doctor's failed to realize that, although the capsule surrounding the joint was still intact (not torn), the movement in the hip joint was causing a condition called avascular necrosis. This is where the pressure caused by the inflammed capsule cuts off the blood flow to the hip joint. It causes the bone to litterally die a slow painfull death. So, while Bo was trying to "work through it" (with the White Sox in '91) his condition was getting worse. If he would have taken some time off, and if the doctors would have known more about the condition at the time (drained the fluid from the capsule) he might have recovered just fine. When his hip finally died, they replaced it, and he had to retire from both sports. He made a short comeback with the Angels but it was the strike season, and he called it quits after that...

mcan
04-08-2005, 04:26 AM
So was Canseco.

No... Canseco was the skinny little geeky kid on the corner while growing up. He was a decent high school ball player, and hit a few homers, but he was not a strong kid at all. He ballooned on 'roids in the minors.

Cochise
04-08-2005, 06:29 AM
The reporter is just running the quote he was given. Don't shoot the messenger.

Reporters are responsible for what they sign their name to.

Count Alex's Losses
04-08-2005, 06:44 AM
Reporters are responsible for what they sign their name to.

If a reporter is misinformed, there's nothing they can do about it.

Bob Dole
04-08-2005, 07:14 AM
If a reporter is misinformed, there's nothing they can do about it.

You never cease to amaze with your stupidity.

It's called due diligence. Even if the woman made the statement (which you conveniently ignore that she claims she never made), the reporter has a responsibility to try to collborate the accusation.

As far as your claim that Jackon is "stupid" for suing the paper:

Imagine how it would impact your reputation as a stupid cocksucker if an article was written and someone was quoted and stated that you bit off his penis.

Count Alex's Losses
04-08-2005, 07:41 AM
It's called due diligence. Even if the woman made the statement (which you conveniently ignore that she claims she never made), the reporter has a responsibility to try to collborate the accusation.

How is he going to verify her statement? Get in a time machine? Come on.

I missed the part where she claims to have been misquoted, my bad.

If the reporter did indeed make this up, he's a tool.

Lzen
04-08-2005, 08:45 AM
How is he going to verify her statement? Get in a time machine? Come on.

I missed the part where she claims to have been misquoted, my bad.

If the reporter did indeed make this up, he's a tool.

You should try to learn some reading comprehension.

Biederman said he then contacted Coleman, who denied making any statements about Jackson. She provided the lawyer with a videotape of her speech at a Riverside, Calif., sports forum to back up her claim.

"At no time during my speech or while speaking individually to Jim Mohr did I use or mention the name Bo Jackson," Coleman said in a signed affidavit.