PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Grammar...

CosmicPal
04-07-2005, 12:49 PM
Can someone explain to me why there's a comma in the title of the Rolling Stones song- Paint it, Black?

I've always wondered about this. Why is it not Paint it Black. Instead, they put a comma in there as if you're supposed to pause before saying black.

Seems like the Rolling Stones are the originators of the commatard.

el borracho
04-07-2005, 12:57 PM
They are racists.

HolmeZz
04-07-2005, 12:59 PM
It's a command, with Black referencing the person who they want to paint it.

CosmicPal
04-07-2005, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the, help.

Lzen
04-07-2005, 02:33 PM
How do you know my Grammar? Did she say anything about me? Is she sending me a big, expensive birthday present?

Mark M
04-07-2005, 02:35 PM
It's there because the person who typed it is a fuqqing dumbshit.

Of course, that's just my experience from editing the work of dumbshits for about 10 years ...

MM
~~:)

Beatlemanu
04-07-2005, 02:39 PM
I think they should add a comma after the word "Paint" too...
But then again I can barely read or write...

chiefs4me
04-07-2005, 02:59 PM
Nothing wrong with a few commas.........ROFL

CosmicPal
04-07-2005, 03:10 PM

Yes there, is

penguinz
04-07-2005, 03:15 PM
What, is, wrong, with, a, few, commas?

Baby Lee
04-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Susie skipped school
So the teacher dropped by to check on her
Knock, knock
Susie comes to the door.
"Missed you at school today. May I speak to your mother?"
Momma ain't here."
"Susie!! Where's your grammar?"
"She ain't here neither."

Ultra Peanut
04-07-2005, 04:32 PM
It's a command, with Black referencing the person who they want to paint it.Exactly. They were advocating slavery.

jcroft
04-07-2005, 04:39 PM

Read literally, this is exactly what it is. However, there is always poetic license at play when it comes to literature, so who knows.

A similar example is Apple's old advertising campaign: Think Different.

Many people called this a grammatical inaccuracy. However, it's actually correct if you (get this) think differently about it. "Think differently" is telling someone HOW to think. "Think different" is telling them WHAT to think. It literally says, "think about the concept of different," rather than 'think in a different manner."

bkkcoh
04-07-2005, 04:43 PM

It sure beats a period..

KCWolfman
04-07-2005, 04:45 PM
The comma was used to emphasize a slight pause before noting the depressing color. The comma was also only used on the single, not the album, Through the Past Darkly.

The comma was not used in the lyrics themselves.

jcroft
04-07-2005, 04:49 PM
The comma was used to emphasize a slight pause before noting the depressing color.

The comma was not used in the lyrics themselves.

If that's true (and I'm sure you probably know what you're talking about), it's definitely a case of poetic license and not an adherence to grammar standards. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course...

..but a comma does not JUST add a "pause." A comma changes the entire meaning of a sentence, in many cases. If a simple dramatic pause is desired, an em dash or elipsis would have been a better punctuation choice.

Demonpenz
04-07-2005, 04:52 PM
i can't get no satisfaction

KCWolfman
04-07-2005, 04:52 PM
If that's true (and I'm sure you probably know what you're talking about), it's definitely a case of poetic license and not an adherence to grammar standards. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course...

..but a comma does not JUST add a "pause." A comma changes the entire meaning of a sentence, in many cases. If a simple dramatic pause is desired, an em dash or elipsis would have been a better punctuation choice.

We are talking about record producers, not English teachers. I understand your point, and you are correct. But the fact is there was no hidden meaning. If there were it would have been released on the album as well.

KCWolfman
04-07-2005, 04:53 PM
More interesting, the re-release of Throught the Past Darkly has a comma after Past (Through the Past, Darkly). Obviously irony is not completely lost on the industry.

jcroft
We are talking about record producers, not English teachers. I understand your point, and you are correct. But the fact is there was no hidden meaning. If there were it would have been released on the album as well.

As I said: poetic license. Which is perfectly valid in art. I've got no problem with that at all.

Demonpenz
Tupac was a legend pushing the boundries of poetry

CosmicPal
04-07-2005, 05:01 PM
More interesting, the re-release of Throught the Past Darkly has a comma after Past (Through the Past, Darkly). Obviously irony is not completely lost on the industry.

But in this case, "through the past, darkly" when used in a sentence would be correct.

"paint it, black" doesn't make sense, however.

Anyone have the complete lyrics to the song, it would help.

KCWolfman
04-07-2005, 05:05 PM
Let's really make it confusing.

Evidently, the original Aftermath release doesn't have the song on it, circa 1966, but the American release does. All re-mastered copies include the comma and a second run of the American release in 1966 or 1967 includes the verbage "Includes Paint it, Black" directly under the title. The comma also appears on the label itself. The original American release does not include the verbage nor does the song title on the record label contain the comma even though the song is included.

KCWolfman
04-07-2005, 05:07 PM
But in this case, "through the past, darkly" when used in a sentence would be correct.

"paint it, black" doesn't make sense, however.

Anyone have the complete lyrics to the song, it would help.

Marmalade skies makes no sense either. And to add another log to the fire of confusion, the phrase Paint it Black (with or without the comma) is never used in the tune.

The lyrics are easy to find anywhere.

I see a red door and I want it painted black
No colors anymore I want them to turn black
I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes
I have to turn my head until my darkness goes

I see a line of cars and they're all painted black
With flowers and my love both never to come back
I see people turn their heads and quickly look away
Like a new born baby it just happens ev'ry day

I look inside myself and see my heart is black
I see my red door and it has been painted black
Maybe then I'll fade away and not have to face the facts
It's not easy facin' up when your whole world is black

No more will my green sea go turn a deeper blue
I could not foresee this thing happening to you

If I look hard enough into the settin' sun
My love will laugh with me before the mornin' comes

No colors anymore I want them to turn black
I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes
I have to turn my head until my darkness goes

Hmm, hmm, hmm...

I wanna see it painted, painted black
Black as night, black as coal
I wanna see the sun blotted out from the sky
I wanna see it painted, painted, painted, painted black
Yeah!

CosmicPal
04-07-2005, 05:24 PM

Oh, so he says "painted" black. :shake:

Those fuggers. All my life I must've looked like an idiot singing 'paint it black' every time the song came on.

Good thing though I wasn't one of those morons who thought it was "'cuse me while I kiss this guy." At least that much I knew.

chiefs4me
04-07-2005, 05:33 PM
my god some of you can really turn a thread boring..:rolleyes:

KCWolfman
04-07-2005, 05:42 PM
my god some of you can really turn a thread boring..:rolleyes:

You could always start another thread with your vast wealth of humor and knowledge.

CosmicPal
04-07-2005, 05:51 PM
You could always start another thread with your vast wealth of humor and knowledge.

He wouldn't know where to begin.

chiefs4me
04-07-2005, 05:57 PM
He wouldn't know where to begin.

:rolleyes: