PDA

View Full Version : KANSAS CITY AGREES TO TERMS WITH FB ROBERT HOLCOMBE

chief4life
04-07-2005, 02:05 PM
I think this is a great move he will be the backup fb and 3rd rb for depth. I like the move :thumb:

www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/04/07/kansas_city_agrees_to_terms_with_fb_robert_holcombe/

siberian khatru
04-07-2005, 02:05 PM
The Titanization of the Chiefs continues.

Phobia
04-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Great move. Saves a draft pick. When Easy wasn't tendered, you knew we'd get a FB somewhere.

Rausch

Wait, wasn't he a Lamb first?

That make this a Gun move or a DV move?

(BTW, I like the signing...)

dirk digler
Goodbye Omar.

Bootlegged
Does Holcombe play LB or CB?

ChiTown
04-07-2005, 02:07 PM
We're becoming the Titans and Denver's becoming the Browns.................Are we now in the AFC Central? ;)

DaneMcCloud
No shocker. Holcombe played for the Rams and is a solid fullback. Looks like Omar Easy can finally hit the road.

Dane

el borracho
Wow. I can't recall the Chiefs ever signing so many free-agents in a single offseason. Good signing.

Chiefs Pantalones
Dang, we went from the Kansas City Rams, to the Kansas City Titans.

Saulbadguy
04-07-2005, 02:08 PM
HolcombeNextTonyRichardson

Rausch
04-07-2005, 02:08 PM
We're becoming the Titans and Denver's becoming the Browns.................Are we now in the AFC Central? ;)

Why not? They got a better playoff record than we do...

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 02:09 PM
Either way, Gunther does have a say on who's coming in or not this year, IMO. More so Hall, but the others possibly as well.

Otter
04-07-2005, 02:09 PM
You can never have too many fullbacks.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 02:10 PM

ROFL nice

siberian khatru
Wait, wasn't he a Lamb first?

That make this a Gun move or a DV move?

(BTW, I like the signing...)

Yes he was, I was just going with the current trend of signings. But you raise an interesting point.

Holcombe is a twofer. He's also Ramifying us (hear that, Proctor?). :)

dirk digler

Or safeties.

Mr. Kotter
04-07-2005, 02:15 PM
Great move...seriously. Holcombe is tough.

Now maybe we can wait to draft a FB until the second round now, and concentrate on Safety, or a LB/DE "tweener/project" in the first. :hmmm:

Chiefs Pantalones
What would make this even better news is if there's 4 or 5 more threads just like this...

Phobia
He's also Ramifying us (hear that, Proctor?). :)

No, he doesn't. He hasn't been back since he melted down over his bronze star and pie.

Saulbadguy
04-07-2005, 02:16 PM
Wow, a new record.

morphius
Good signing, we have needed a backup FB for a while now.

siberian khatru
Are people doing this on purpose now?

Coach
MAN LANDS ON THE MOON!

siberian khatru
04-07-2005, 02:17 PM
No, he doesn't. He hasn't been back since he melted down over his bronze star and pie.

Not even occasional lurking, huh?

alpha_omega
Sounds good...No more Omar

Chiefs Pantalones

You get a bronze star AND pie for being a combat veteran? Dang, I should've enlisted.

BoroChief
04-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Anybody else getting that six degrees of seperation feeling?
Under DV. We've gone from being the KC Rams to the KC Eagles and now the KC Titans. What next? you make the call.

jspchief
04-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Great pick up. Quality depth at a position where we needed depth.

I don't want to stir the pot, but we seem to spending like a welfare recipient in the liquor store on the 1st of the month...are we spending all our money because we've given up on the notion of a CB?

Phobia
04-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Not even occasional lurking, huh?

Not logged into his account. Of course, he may have signed up under a new account. I think I saw a registration notice for Unstablevetguntherfan

dirk digler
04-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Great pick up. Quality depth at a position where we needed depth.

I don't want to stir the pot, but we seem to spending like a welfare recipient in the liquor store on the 1st of the month...are we spending all our money because we've given up on the notion of a CB?

No, I think they got him on the cheap.

The Bad Guy
04-07-2005, 02:21 PM
I think since they worked out a contract wtih Surtain, they know how much money they have left.

That would explain this rash of signings.

siberian khatru
Not logged into his account. Of course, he may have signed up under a new account. I think I saw a registration notice for Unstablevetguntherfan

Probably just Kotter again. :D

philfree
The recent signings make me think that we do indeed have an agreement with Surtain and we know what his cap hit is gonna be so we are now proceeding with other player acquisitions.

PhilFree:arrow:

Frank be me to it.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 02:25 PM
I think since they worked out a contract wtih Surtain, they know how much money they have left.

That would explain this rash of signings.

Either that, or the Surtain trade fell through and they are making this rash of signings because of it.

(cue the concerned music...) :)

I agree with you.

royr17
04-07-2005, 02:26 PM
Our 3rd String RB with be Jonathan Smith in NFL Europe .........

Phobia
04-07-2005, 02:28 PM

Why - because he's on our roster at the moment? Is that your only reason?

Brock
04-07-2005, 02:29 PM

Looks pretty good, with the usual NFLE disclaimer.

J.Smith, Ams (KC) 16 99 6.2 19 0

CosmicPal
04-07-2005, 02:29 PM
Well, I guess that makes Priest expendable.

j/k

C-Mac
04-07-2005, 02:31 PM

:thumb: Yip!

philfree

He played well over the weekend for the Admirals. He looked much better then J. Payton who is also on the Admirals and was being pimped hard before the game.

PhilFree :arrow:

royr17

No, because what i saw of him, he looked pretty good to me, runs like priest, hits the whole like priest, and has some pretty good speed too.

Iowanian
04-07-2005, 02:32 PM
I think this is a Great signing.
Holcomb will come in as a backup to Trich, but as a backup who can Play when put in the game. He's a solid blocker and can run the ball. I'm not sure about his hands, but I'm liking him MUCH better than Easy(sorry Titus)

With Kris Wilson back, Trich and Holcomb....Omar is back to Ganja-town.

C-Mac
04-07-2005, 02:33 PM
Anybody else getting that six degrees of seperation feeling?
Under DV. We've gone from being the KC Rams to the KC Eagles and now the KC Titans. What next? you male the call.

..its "mail the call". :shake:

BigChiefFan
04-07-2005, 02:39 PM
Good pick-up. Holcombe is quality depth, who will probably get see some offensive playing time. If we land Surtain, I will have to give the FO the best off-season in history under Carl's watch.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 02:39 PM
No, because what i saw of him, he looked pretty good to me, runs like priest, hits the whole like priest, and has some pretty good speed too.

So we should trade Priest, and sign Julien to a fat contract with a $15 million signing bonus. I mean, why not, if he runs like him, hits the hole like him, and has pretty good speed, and not to mention, he's younger. We should sign him long term right NOW!

;)

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-07-2005, 02:40 PM
This signing does nothing for me. Priest, LJ, TRich...why even bother with Holcombe? Yea...I know he's a FB not a RB but really, so what. He's nothing special at all. He may be better than Easy... but so are most girl scouts.

John_Wayne
04-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Goodbye Omar. No "hello" to Joe Hall either. :)

jspchief
04-07-2005, 02:42 PM
This signing does nothing for me. Priest, LJ, TRich...why even bother with Holcombe? Yea...I know he's a FB not a RB but really, so what. He's nothing special at all. He may be better than Easy... but so are most girl scouts.

So if Richardson were to get injured, who would you want to replace him?

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 02:43 PM

I heard from my cousin that Holcombe will take Priest's carries away down in the redzone. We have a controversy brewing!! Call Keitzman!

Hydrae
04-07-2005, 02:44 PM
..its "mail the call". :shake:

Actually, I believe it should be "make the call."

the Talking Can
04-07-2005, 02:47 PM
nice signing...get rid of Easy, solid vet backup for T-Rich who has his share of dings, and assures that "Cris Wilson" will a pass catcher and not a blocking FB....works for me, now lets sign someone with real talent please...paging Mr. Surtain

Dr. Facebook Fever
So if Richardson were to get injured, who would you want to replace him?
Don't we have a nice undersized rookie saftey from a mid-major college in NFLE that we can convert or something?

Is Joe Hall a FB or RB?

Not saying it's a bad signing... it just doesn't impress me.

C-Mac
Actually, I believe it should be "make the call."

....its Herbie Hancock. :D

BigChiefFan
04-07-2005, 02:48 PM
This signing does nothing for me. Priest, LJ, TRich...why even bother with Holcombe? Yea...I know he's a FB not a RB but really, so what. He's nothing special at all. He may be better than Easy... but so are most girl scouts.He's a damn good FB, that's why. T-Rich isn't getting any younger and Holcombe could START on most teams. He's also familiar with Vermeil. There's plenty of reasons to back this move. I can't find one reason to dislike it like you are. He's a quality player, who probably came real cheap and will help our depth chart, as well as our special teams. Holcombe signing is a good move.

Dr. Facebook Fever
I heard from my cousin that Holcombe will take Priest's carries away down in the redzone. We have a controversy brewing!! Call Keitzman!
Is your cousin named kcnut......?

:hmmm:

:D

John_Wayne
I just noticed this: Holcombe (5-11, 208)

At 208 lbs, wouldn't he be the lightest FB in the NFL? Do you think that is a misprint?

I'll look it up.

Mark M
04-07-2005, 02:49 PM
Good backup signing.

It's not like KC uses the FB as much more than an extra OLineman anyway.

MM
~~:arrow:

siberian khatru
04-07-2005, 02:49 PM
"Cris Wilson"

Haha. I hope this becomes one of those special Planet in-jokes. Like Carl drafting Blackledge, and "genious."

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-07-2005, 02:50 PM
He's a damn good FB, that's why. T-Rich isn't getting any younger and Holcombe could START on most teams. He's also familiar with Vermeil. There's plenty of reasons to back this move. I can't find one reason to dislike it like you are. He's a quality player, who probably came real cheap and will help our depth chart, as well as our special teams. Holcombe signing is a good move.
OK.... you've got my vote.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-07-2005, 02:51 PM
Haha. I hope this becomes one of those special Planet in-jokes. Like Carl drafting Blackledge, and "genious."
That's just rediculous.

King_Chief_Fan
04-07-2005, 02:51 PM
The Ramzification continues?
or
We are becoming the Kansas City Titans.

First it was the Denver Browns, now this.:)

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 02:52 PM

At 208 lbs, wouldn't he be the lightest FB in the NFL? Do you think that is a misprint?

I'll look it up.

When Holcombe played for the Rams, he was the HB and the FB. When Marshall (in his prime) would need rest, Holcombe would spell him. I also remembering Holcombe replacing Faulk as the starter when Faulk would get injured and miss a game or two.

We probably got Holcombe to replace Blaylock, and also be another FB in the mix. And with the release of Omar, you have a player that can play two positions for the price of one. Or they may keep Omar, but I doubt it.

jspchief
04-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Don't we have a nice undersized rookie saftey from a mid-major college in NFLE that we can convert or something?

Is Joe Hall a FB or RB?

Not saying it's a bad signing... it just doesn't impress me.

Call me crazy, but I'm much happier with a quality veteran that knows the system, than a 4th stringer that's never set foot on an NFL field or a converted TE...

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Is your cousin named kcnut......?

:hmmm:

:D

How'd you know?

VonneMarie
04-07-2005, 02:54 PM
The Ramzification continues?
or
We are becoming the Kansas City Titans.

First it was the Denver Browns, now this.:)
Don't forget the Jetskins.

John_Wayne
04-07-2005, 02:55 PM

I'll look it up. OK, NFL.com claims that he is 220 lbs. That's better, but still a bit light for a FB, don't you think? :hmmm:

Rausch
04-07-2005, 02:56 PM

He's a damned good short yardage/physical runner. I wouldn't say we need that with LJ comming on and being able to punish teams late and close out games, but he's a better running FB than TRich at this point.

Phobia
04-07-2005, 02:58 PM
OK, NFL.com claims that he is 220 lbs. That's better, but still a bit light for a FB, don't you think? :hmmm:

The Titans converted him to FB. I'm pretty sure he's bulked up.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 02:58 PM
I like the signing, too. I remember a lot of people in the NFL raving about him when he blocked for Faulk. Calling him the best little guy in the game or something.

Mile High Mania
04-07-2005, 02:59 PM
Sounds like my reactions to the Broncos signing Stephen Alexander...

Rausch
04-07-2005, 03:00 PM
We probably got Holcombe to replace Blaylock, and also be another FB in the mix. And with the release of Omar, you have a player that can play two positions for the price of one. Or they may keep Omar, but I doubt it.

Exactly. 3rd HB, 2nd string FB, and a physical runner. Two positions for the price of one (which is what Easy was SUPPOSED to be.) And he knows the offense already, which means he's probably already somewhat comfortable with his blocking assignments.

And we've already talked with Law and Surtain numerous times. By now we know exactly what we're going to pay either one IF that's the route we take. We know exactly how much money we have to spend (from a front office standpoint.)

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Call me crazy, but I'm much happier with a quality veteran that knows the system, than a 4th stringer that's never set foot on an NFL field or a converted TE...
That's true. I never should have posted on this thread.

:)

ChiefsOne
04-07-2005, 03:11 PM

No way in hell do they let me take carries away from Priest in the red "gold" zone. Is your cousin Saunders, that would be the only way he would know that.

I always like Holcomb when he was with the Lambs, seemed like a solid runner and played both FB and HB from what I remember.

Lzen
04-07-2005, 03:25 PM

Ummm......not to nitpick or anything but.......The Titans are in the AFC South and the Browns are in the AFC North. Just FYI :p .

Lzen
04-07-2005, 03:26 PM
And this looks like a good pickup to me. Now if the Chiefs get Surtain, I'll be ecstatic. And this will have been a great offseason.

ChiefsCountry
04-07-2005, 03:29 PM
And this looks like a good pickup to me. Now if the Chiefs get Surtain, I'll be ecstatic. And this will have been a great offseason.

How about drafting Derrick Johnson as well?

Logical
04-07-2005, 03:33 PM
I guess Omar is gonna be gone. Put a watch on Titus he may need anti-depressants.:p

ChiefsCountry
04-07-2005, 03:36 PM
At least we won't be drafting a freaking fullback or tight end this year. A scat back like Sproles or Anthony Davis might not be bad in the 5th or 6th round to take Blaylock's spot.

TRR
04-07-2005, 03:38 PM
I want Kevin Johnson. Anything to get Johnnie Morton off the team.

Robert Holcombe is a very good pickup!

HC_Chief
04-07-2005, 03:44 PM
How about drafting Derrick Johnson as well?

Never going to happen. He'll be way gone before the #15.

Mr. Laz
04-07-2005, 03:44 PM
holcombe played for vermiel,saunders AND gunther

he runs hard,catches decent,blocks decent ... complete upgrade over Easy

and should be getting better at fullback

no brainer

HC_Chief
04-07-2005, 03:45 PM

no brainer

Yep. I also like the signing. Holcome & TRich = potent FB pairing.

Ultra Peanut
04-07-2005, 03:46 PM
Holcombe is very good, and a GREAT backup, but we still need to draft an FB for the future (Robert Douglas, bitches).

Mark M
04-07-2005, 03:46 PM

no brainer

Whaaaa?

You mean that Carl actually ... dare I post it ... made a good move?

:eek:

You should really talk to your doctor prior to upping your meds.

MM
~~:)

Swanman
04-07-2005, 03:47 PM
When Holcombe played for the Rams, he was the HB and the FB. When Marshall (in his prime) would need rest, Holcombe would spell him. I also remembering Holcombe replacing Faulk as the starter when Faulk would get injured and miss a game or two.

I love this signing, mainly because Holcombe was the only decent player on the horrific football teams at Illinois when I was a student there (0-11 when I was a senior). The poor bastard would have to break tackles just to get the handoff half the time and still managed to break Illinois rushing records. He wasn't quite good enough to be a starting running back in the league so he was eventually converted into a fullback because he still has great physical talent. Holcombe is definitely a guy that can step in and run the ball if needed, which is a welcome change after watching Easy try to run/catch the ball against the Raiders a few years ago with a couple running backs injured. Great signing, especially if we got him fairly cheap.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 03:48 PM
Whaaaa?

MM

I don't know about you, but I shed a tear when I read his post.

Mr. Laz
04-07-2005, 03:49 PM
Whaaaa?

MM
whaaaa?

you mean you give me chit whether i say something positive or negative

guess that's why i don't worry too much about it

laz

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 03:50 PM
I love this signing, mainly because Holcombe was the only decent player on the horrific football teams at Illinois when I was a student there (0-11 when I was a senior). The poor bastard would have to break tackles just to get the handoff half the time and still managed to break Illinois rushing records. He wasn't quite good enough to be a starting running back in the league so he was eventually converted into a fullback because he still has great physical talent. Holcombe is definitely a guy that can step in and run the ball if needed, which is a welcome change after watching Easy try to run/catch the ball against the Raiders a few years ago with a couple running backs injured. Great signing, especially if we got him fairly cheap.

Sorry about the Championship game this past Monday. You still hurting?

Iowanian
04-07-2005, 03:50 PM
The name is escaping me for whatever reason.........but I was thinking the last FB the Chiefs cut (Brown?) last preseason looked like a punishing blocker. I was kind of hoping he'd get another shot this year.

Holcomb is a good signing. The best part is, his name isn't Omar Easy.

I'll keep saying it...........i'm for Upgrades and ANY position..1-53 on the depth chart, AND the practice squad.

Chiefnj
04-07-2005, 03:51 PM
I guess he's the third HB. I still think the Chiefs need to draft a backup lead blocking full-back, unless they think Wilson can handle the task.

Mark M
whaaaa?

you mean you give me chit whether i say something positive or negative

guess that's why i don't worry too much about it

laz

Well, considering it's the first time I've ever seen you post something positive about a move the Chiefs have made ...

MM
~~:p

Mr. Laz
Yep. I also like the signing. Holcome & TRich = potent FB pairing.
not only that but Holcombe is a better receiver that Trich IMO

how about the ol' power wing?!

holcombe and Trich at fullback

johnson at tailback

that could bring some pretty good beef in short yardage :thumb:

Bwana
See ya Omar. :thumb:

Mark M
04-07-2005, 03:52 PM
The name is escaping me for whatever reason.........but I was thinking the last FB the Chiefs cut (Brown?) last preseason looked like a punishing blocker. I was kind of hoping he'd get another shot this year.

I'll keep saying it...........i'm for Upgrades and ANY position..1-53 on the depth chart, AND the practice squad.

I believe that was Hall -- about a 300 lb. bulldozer.

Could be wrong, though.

MM
~~:shrug:

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 03:52 PM
I think the Chiefs should just draft RBs with all their picks. hehe

Ultra Peanut
04-07-2005, 03:53 PM
This is a really sweet pickup.

Mr. Laz
Well, considering it's the first time I've ever seen you post something positive about a move the Chiefs have made ...

MM
ya... and that's the same thing you said THE LAST TIME you saw me post something "positive"

ol' ye with the selective memory condition

laz

Iowanian
No....I thought Joe Hall was a fat tub of Goo...

There was another Fullback, who landed a couple of Crushing Blocks in the preseason last year....It seems like his last name was Brown...But I could be wrong...its late in the day and week.

Mark M
how about the ol' power wing?!

holcombe and Trich at fullback

johnson at tailback

that could bring some pretty good beef in short yardage :thumb:

That could be interesting ...

Didn't Levy use the wing-t during his first year or so with KC? I know it didn't work, but at least it was a try.

MM
~~:hmmm:

Mark M
04-07-2005, 03:54 PM
ya... and that's the same thing you said THE FIRST AND ONLY TIME you saw me post something "positive"

ye with the selective memory condition

laz

I fixed your post.

MM
~~:spank:

Mark M
04-07-2005, 03:55 PM

There was another Fullback, who landed a couple of Crushing Blocks in the preseason last year....It seems like his last name was Brown...But I could be wrong...its late in the day and week.

Damn ... I know now the guy about whom you are typing ... just can't recall the name.

Anyone?

MM

Chiefs Pantalones

Yeah it was either Brown or Strong, I can't remember which one.

Mr. Laz
I fixed your post.

MM
~~:spank:

not before i did!! :harumph:

laz
~always competitive~

Iowanian
04-07-2005, 03:56 PM
It was #38....M. Brown?

whats his name dad nabbit?!

Mark M
04-07-2005, 03:56 PM
not before i did!! :harumph:

laz
~always competitive~
Um ... you might wanna read mine again ...

MM
~~ROFL

Brock
04-07-2005, 03:59 PM
Damn ... I know now the guy about whom you are typing ... just can't recall the name.

Anyone?

MM

Marvin Brown.

Rain Man

I remember that guy. He looked like he was made out of rock.

I like the Holcombe signing a lot. It's interesting that we're raiding the Titans just like the B roncos are raiding the Browns. The only difference, of course, is that we're picking up good players.

Iowanian
MARVIN Brown.....#38 FB for Preseason KC Chiefs

He looked WAY better than Joe "Tater Salad" Hall.

Thanks Brock...........Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh Need a cigarette now.

wait.I don't smoke.

HC_Chief
04-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Yeah, TRich, Holcome, Gonzo, Dunn and Holmes in a goal-line situation would be a nightmare to defend.

Hell, Priest alone is a TD machine. Now if you concentrate on him or T-Gon, you're fooked: Holcome or TRich can run it or receive in the flat.

Chiefnj
04-07-2005, 04:02 PM
I never saw so many people get excited over a guy with a 3.4 ypc average.

DaneMcCloud
Actually, Joe Hall looked pretty good last week in NFLE. At least he's putting in the effort to become a better player, so maybe he'll pan out in a year or two.

Chiefs Pantalones
Yeah, TRich, Holcome, Gonzo, Dunn and Holmes in a goal-line situation would be a nightmare to defend.

Hell, Priest alone is a TD machine. Now if you concentrate on him or T-Gon, you're fooked: Holcome or TRich can run it or receive in the flat.

Priest WAS a TD machine. He has lost his burst after this latest injury.

Mark M
04-07-2005, 04:03 PM

Most people don't root for a team with a 67 year old FB ...

MM
~~:D

Mr. Kotter
04-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Probably just Kotter again. :D

Hey, I resemble that remark.... :harumph:

:p

HC_Chief
04-07-2005, 04:04 PM

:spock:

Is that so? When, praytell, did you see him suit up & run?

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 04:06 PM
Hey, I resemble that remark.... :harumph:

:p

So he's telling the truth?

You mean, "I resent that remark."

I'm not an English major (sports communications, so I guess kind of), but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Brock
04-07-2005, 04:06 PM

Uh, yeah. :rolleyes:

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 04:07 PM
:spock:

Is that so? When, praytell, did you see him suit up & run?

At the Holiday Inn the other day...

Rain Man
04-07-2005, 04:08 PM

The Broncos signed Ron Dayne last week.

philfree
04-07-2005, 04:09 PM
RB,FB and STs :hmmm: I wonder if he's gonna replace both Esay and Blaylock and save us a roster spot?

PhilFree:arrow:

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 04:09 PM
Uh, yeah. :rolleyes:

Down, boy. Only joking. :p

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 04:10 PM
The Broncos signed Ron Dayne last week.

ROFL

Mr. Laz
04-07-2005, 04:11 PM
Um ... you might wanna read mine again ...

MM
~~ROFL

hehe... just caught that

bastige :spank:

penguinz
04-07-2005, 04:12 PM
maybe he'll put out in a year or two.
:shake:

Iowanian
04-07-2005, 04:12 PM

I never saw so many people expect 5.1ypc out of a 3rd string HB and #2 Fb who can play ST.

Mr. Laz
04-07-2005, 04:15 PM
hey it's a good pickup... he's a tough, hard nosed guy

dam...

if you aren't happy about a signing your not a true fan

if you are happy, then they give ya chit anyway

:Poke: nlm

ct
04-07-2005, 04:19 PM
1 roster spot, can fill FB2 and RB3, solid vet and plays ST. What's not to like about this signing?

Holcombe is a TRich clone. Excellent blocking FB, can run as change of pace bruiser, good receiver. This is a good thing all the way around.

Brock
04-07-2005, 04:24 PM
We've got the backup fullback position covered. Whew!

SPchief
04-07-2005, 04:27 PM
ROFL

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 04:30 PM
You know, to be honest, I'm going to miss Omar. He was great.

chiefqueen
04-07-2005, 04:50 PM
At the Holiday Inn the other day...

I noticed you didn't say Holiday Inn Express so I guess you didn't transform into a NFL scouting genius.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 04:52 PM
I noticed you didn't say Holiday Inn Express so I guess you didn't transform into a NFL scouting genius.

It's genious, smart gal.

Mr. Kotter
04-07-2005, 04:54 PM
So he's telling the truth?

You mean, "I resent that remark."

I'm not an English major (sports communications, so I guess kind of), but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Nevermind; no it ain't me...I was just engaging in a bit of self-depricating humor (based on my past aliases.) You aren't the first to not get my humor. :banghead:

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Nevermind; no it ain't me...I was just engaging in a bit of self-depricating humor (based on my past aliases.) You aren't the first to not get my humor. :banghead:

Are you kidding? I'm kidding half the time I post, and people take me seriously. I understand your distress.

Marcellus
04-07-2005, 05:03 PM
I can see the headlines now.

Chiefs Win Super Bowl Thanks To Amazing Depth at Fullback and Safety!

Actually, I like the signing. I think the whole Surtain story was a way of keeping people from knowing we were really looking for a back up fullback. Prevented us from getting into a bidding war with someone.

Rain Man
04-07-2005, 05:08 PM
Are you kidding? I'm kidding half the time I post, and people take me seriously. I understand your distress.

Is that really true, or are you just pulling our legs?

Baby Lee
04-07-2005, 05:08 PM
I'll take Titanization over recent vintage Chiefsification, anyday.
But, as I'm sure many have pointed out. Holcombe was a DV guy back in Big Derrty.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2005, 05:12 PM
Is that really true, or are you just pulling our legs?

ROFL

I love your humor, Kevin. :thumb:

Swanman
04-07-2005, 05:12 PM
Sorry about the Championship game this past Monday. You still hurting?

I'm still hurting a little bit, but it's not too bad at this point. It was a great season, I just wish we could have lost to a team other than UNC. I was at all of Illinois' games from the Sweet 16 through the championship game, so I really felt like I was a part of the whole run (plus being at arguably the best comeback in tourney history against Arizona is something I can tell my kids down the road). Illinois just didn't bring their A game against UNC. I knew they wouldn't have an answer for Sean May, but I thought our guards would shoot a little better than 12-40 from 3 point range.

JohnnyV13
04-07-2005, 06:27 PM
Listen,

As much as I despise Carl Peterson, he has set us up for the best offseason this team has had in years.

Holcombe is an excellent move, not only does he provide FB depth he is a good special teams guy. He's likely a good lead blocker for Dante as well as help out on coverage units.

Now, we have many options heading into the draft.

We can:

1) Cave to Miami, give them our 2nd for Surtain. Then we can draft the best OLB at 15, pick up a corner at 3 then draft BAA on the 2nd day.

2) Trade Miami a 4th this year and next year's second. Then we can package our 1st and 2nd and move up and take Derrick Johnson.

3) Trade down to the bottom of the 1st, picking up a low second. Ship the low second to Miami for Surtain. Grab an OLB and corner in the 1st two rounds, then draft BAA the rest of the way.

One variation might be to grab WR Matt Jones in the 2nd if we can get surtain with either option 1 or 2. Jones is a potential impact player that an offense could be built around in the future. In the present, he could make KC impossible to defend in the red zone. Imagine....6'6 237 Matt Jones and Tony G and Kris Wilson lining up in the red zone...with Priest and T Rich.

If you play the pass, you are going to give up a serious size advantage to KC's receivers AND be outmuscled vs. the run. If you stack vs. the run, you simply won't be athletic enough to keep with KC's pass options.

Tuckdaddy
04-07-2005, 06:31 PM
This is a solid move toward the future and will give T-Rich a solid back up and starter should he get hurt. Now go get Surtain and this will be the greatest off season of Carl's career.

ChiefsCountry
04-07-2005, 07:09 PM

Only where you will see that will be a Gretz or Rufus article on kcchiefs.com

booger
04-07-2005, 08:13 PM
MARVIN Brown.....#38 FB for Preseason KC Chiefs

He looked WAY better than Joe "Tater Salad" Hall.

Thanks Brock...........Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh Need a cigarette now.

wait.I don't smoke.

Yep, I was suprised they cut him last year. They were showcasing Easy last preseason hoping to get his value up for a trade, but that never materialized.

I remember hearing and reading he was impressive early on in camp. Ivan Carter was impressed with him at the Vikings schrimmage as he knocked a guys helmet straight up in the air in a blocking drill as he hit him so hard. A throwback type FB. Really good lead blocker and special teams guy. No threat to run and minimal pass receiving skills though. I think DV gave Easy one last shot last year and decided it was enough this offseason.

Woodrow Call
04-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Great signing. If Surtain and a LB are in the works I might do some cartwheels down Glendstone.

Woodrow Call
04-08-2005, 01:42 AM
A couple of Holcombe articles.

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section_id=7&screen=news&news_id=40560

Holcombe continues Kansas City migration
By Terry McCormick, tmccormick@nashvillecitypaper.com
April 08, 2005

The west-bound migration from Tennessee to Kansas City continued Thursday when former Titans running back Robert Holcombe agreed to a one-year veteran minimum deal with the Chiefs.

Holcombe, one of six veterans released by Tennessee in its February salary cap purge, became the final one of that group to agree to terms with a new club.

He also becomes the third former Titan this week to join the Chiefs, joining defensive end Carlos Hall and wide receiver Darrell Hill in Kansas City.

“It’s something else,” Holcombe mused about the Tennessee trio landing in KC within a three-day period of each other. “That’s how it is. Some people call it a revolving door in this business, but it just kind of ended up that way.”

Holcombe, a seven-year veteran who spent three years with the Titans, played mostly at fullback for Tennessee in 2004 with just 17 carries for 62 yards. He also was a key special teams player for the Titans and will reprise that role with the Chiefs.

“It seems like that’s what I’ve been doing pretty much for the last few years. I think that will be mostly what my role is,” Holcombe said.

He is also looking forward to reuniting with Hall and Hill.

“They’re both very good guys and better people than football players,” Holcombe said. “We had a lot of good people on our football team in Tennessee, and I think that’s the reason we had so much success.”

http://www.tennessean.com/sports/titans/archives/05/03/67985156.shtml?Element_ID=67985156

Holcombe latest ex-Titan to find new team

By JIM WYATT
Staff Writer

And then there were none.

Fullback Robert Holcombe became the last of the six Titans released on ''Black Monday'' in February to land on his feet elsewhere. He signed a one-year deal yesterday with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Earlier this offseason, cornerback Samari Rolle and receiver Derrick Mason signed with the Ravens, defensive end Kevin Carter with the Dolphins, tackle Fred Miller with the Bears and kicker Joe Nedney with the 49ers.

The Titans released all six as they worked to get below the salary cap.

''I think that says a lot about the players we had with the Titans,'' Holcombe said yesterday. ''All of us have a job again. Guys like Derrick Mason and Kevin Carter, they haven't done anything but play good football and were great in the community.

''It's hard to lose guys like that, but people remember what guys like that are about when it comes time elsewhere. Hopefully everyone will do well.''

Holcombe also became the third former Titan to sign with Kansas City in the last week. Earlier this week the Chiefs signed receiver Darrell Hill and traded for defensive end Carlos Hall.

''It's funny, but sometimes it happens like that,'' Holcombe said. ''I ended up in Tennessee playing with Kevin Carter and Fred Miller after I played with them in St. Louis. ... I had a chance to play with (Chiefs quarterback) Trent Green in St. Louis, too, so there will be some familiar faces when I get there.''

Chiefs Coach Dick Vermeil, who was previously with the Rams, called Holcombe soon after he was released by the Titans and invited him to Kansas City.

With the Chiefs, Holcombe will back up running back Priest Holmes and fullback Tony Richardson.

''As of right now my role will be pretty much what it has been in the past. I have played fullback and tailback and I have contributed also on special teams,'' Holcombe said.

''The situation in Kansas City is they have two Pro Bowl caliber backs, one at fullback and tailback. My thing will be to go in and work hard and be ready when I am needed.''

Holcombe, signed by the Titans as a free agent in 2002, played in 16 games last season and rushed for 62 yards on 17 carries.

''Overall, I loved my time with the Titans. I wouldn't go back and change anything,'' Holcombe said. ''I played on a football team that always competed and played with guys that are stand-up characters, and it was a good place for me.''

Also: Linebacker Rocky Calmus is off the market after signing his one-year tender offer from the Titans yesterday.

Linebacker Cody Spencer, an exclusive rights free agent, also signed his tender offer from the Titans.

KCTitus
04-08-2005, 08:35 AM

Mock now, Marcellus, you will rue the day...