PDA

View Full Version : Feeling guilty about a purchase

Wrasse
04-07-2005, 02:28 PM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000DCBKX/002-9077852-3400017?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

Just look how great all that looks...and the price!

I'm hoping the SO doesn't kick me out of the house but this combo set looks so nice and I'm sick of manually nailing in all the new trim in our home (huge remodeling project going on).

I actually started sweating before I hit the submit button on this order...but look at the discounts! Meh...oh well...I'm probably sleeping outside this evening.

I maybe should hide the fact that I bought a new drill as well (DeWalt). heh :P

So any of you home remodelers think this is a good deal? If not, please lie.

Brock
04-07-2005, 02:31 PM
That's cheap. If I had any upcoming projects, I'd probably buy one as well.

Phobia
04-07-2005, 02:32 PM
Whatever you do, don't look at the Porter Cable Combo kit at your local Home Depot.

I have the same kit. I think you'll be really happy with it.

jspchief
04-07-2005, 02:34 PM
It's a great package for a homeowner. Porter Cable makes quality nail guns. The compressor is plenty to do what you're going to ask of it.

Looks like you can get an extra $25 in rebates if you can spend 1 more dollar on porter cable products. A box of brads or finish nails should get you there.

CosmicPal
04-07-2005, 02:34 PM
I think you made a great purchase. Screw the wife. Literally.

OK....the fact is, if you're into home remodeling and that is what you do best- she should be proud of you and encourage the purchase.

Amnorix
04-07-2005, 02:36 PM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000DCBKX/002-9077852-3400017?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

Just look how great all that looks...and the price!

I'm hoping the SO doesn't kick me out of the house but this combo set looks so nice and I'm sick of manually nailing in all the new trim in our home (huge remodeling project going on).

I actually started sweating before I hit the submit button on this order...but look at the discounts! Meh...oh well...I'm probably sleeping outside this evening.

I maybe should hide the fact that I bought a new drill as well (DeWalt). heh :P

So any of you home remodelers think this is a good deal? If not, please lie.

Seriously, tell the SO that you're saving major $$ on the remodeling, but that you're going to spend THE REST OF YOUR DAMN LIFE on the stupid project if you don't have the right tools.

It's true and reasonable. My wife is a rare find -- she's as good or better with a buck than I am -- and I know this argument would work with her.

penguinz
04-07-2005, 02:40 PM
Can I borrow the finish nailer?

Wrasse
04-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Whatever you do, don't look at the Porter Cable Combo kit at your local Home Depot.

I have the same kit. I think you'll be really happy with it.
Cool.

I spent $274 when all was said and done...looks like it is $299 at Home Depot.

I hope it isn't cheaper somewhere else. :)

C-Mac
04-07-2005, 02:45 PM
I also have the brad nailer, think Porter Cable has some of the smoothest operating quality products out there. Their jigsaw is second to none!

Phobia
04-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Cool.

I spent $274 when all was said and done...looks like it is $299 at Home Depot.

I hope it isn't cheaper somewhere else. :)

That's what I spent on mine there. But the last time I looked, they were also giving away a pin nailer with it. I was pissed because I didn't get the pin nailer when I bought mine 2 years ago - even though I doubt I'd ever use a pin nailer. :D

It's a great little unit. The kit is a great value, too.

I think you'll really enjoy it.

Mark M
04-07-2005, 02:47 PM
So when are you and Phobia coming to my house to help redo my basement for nothing more than all the Boulevard beer you can drink whilst doing so?

MM
~~:grovel:

Phobia
04-07-2005, 02:48 PM
I also have the brad nailer, think Porter Cable has some of the smoothest operating quality products out there. Their jigsaw is second to none!

Porter Cable, Delta, and DeWalt are now all owned by Black & Decker Tool Co.

Bosch makes the best jigsaw, IMO.

jspchief
04-07-2005, 02:49 PM
Their jigsaw is second to none!

Their jigsaw is second to the Bosch 1590.

Phobia
04-07-2005, 02:49 PM
So when are you and Phobia coming to my house to help redo my basement for nothing more than all the Boulevard beer you can drink whilst doing so?

MM

When the price of BLVD hits $50 an hour. ;)

Phobia
04-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Their jigsaw is second to the Bosch 1590.

Heh heh - yup.

Wrasse
04-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Seriously, tell the SO that you're saving major $$ on the remodeling, but that you're going to spend THE REST OF YOUR DAMN LIFE on the stupid project if you don't have the right tools.

It's true and reasonable. My wife is a rare find -- she's as good or better with a buck than I am -- and I know this argument would work with her.
Thanks for the input, everyone...I feel a bit better about the purchase.

I doubt she'll be too upset. I may get a few head shakes out of her and what you've described is a good way to present my arguement.

I started on too many rooms at once (number one rule of what not to do when remodeling) and I'm sure she'd be a whole lot happier than me if the job finished up a bit quicker.

I've also got crown molding to put up in one room...and this should help a ton.

Thanks again!

Mark M
04-07-2005, 02:51 PM
When the price of BLVD hits $50 an hour. ;)

How about when gas prices hit $50 a gallon ...

which should be about next Tuesday.

:D

Actually, we've got to price some stuff out first, but I'll probably be giving you a call about some stuff in the next few months.

I will, of course, need references.

MM
~~:D

Wrasse
04-07-2005, 02:51 PM
Porter Cable, Delta, and DeWalt are now all owned by Black & Decker Tool Co.

Bosch makes the best jigsaw, IMO.
Yea...had to resist purchasing that one too (the jigsaw)...

That one will have to wait.

Wrasse
04-07-2005, 02:53 PM

MM
ROFL

Phobia
04-07-2005, 02:53 PM
I will, of course, need references.

There's this one lady who loves me - she'll tell you I work for damn near nothing.

Phobia
04-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Yea...had to resist purchasing that one too (the jigsaw)...

That one will have to wait.

Did you ever get any value out of my tile discount?

Mark M
04-07-2005, 02:55 PM
There's this one lady who loves me - she'll tell you I work for damn near nothing.

Well, "damn near nothing" is pretty much all I can afford.

You're hired!!

MM
~~;)

Wrasse
04-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Did you ever get any value out of my tile discount?
No...but thank you for that.

I meant to say something earlier. We've been going back and forth on how we are going to finish our floors. Right now we're leaving them bare (well those that are torn up) until we're completely through with everything else. Plus it's nice to not give a damn when one of the dogs pukes on the floor or when a drink is spilled.

We're going to get some tile soon (hopefully) and we've found a few other places with some very cheap tile so we may just hit those spots.

Thanks again.

Phobia
04-07-2005, 03:04 PM
Weren't you considering some floating floors? If so, get them in before you trim everything out. It will make your job 100% easier.

Lumber Liquidators has some pretty good deals on Belleau Woods floors. I put one in last month that can actually be sanded and refinished. That was extremely impressive to me.

Lzen
04-07-2005, 03:04 PM

MM

Heh, I take it you don't care about quality?

Lzen
04-07-2005, 03:06 PM
Wrasse,
I'm constantly emphasizing to my wife that in order for a job to be done right, I need the proper tools. That has gotten me a lot of tools over the years. This may sound like TAS ( Tool Acquisition Syndorome) to some folks but it is the honest truth. There's nothing worse than trying to do a job with crappy tools or worse, the wrong tools. Nice purchase and don't feel guilty.

Lzen
04-07-2005, 03:10 PM
On my previous post, I mentioned TAS. This is a derivative of the more well-known condtion, GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome ) I'm sure some other CPers such as Braincase, or Nmt1 can relate to this. ;) I've always got GAS.

Wrasse
04-07-2005, 03:10 PM
Weren't you considering some floating floors? If so, get them in before you trim everything out. It will make your job 100% easier.

Lumber Liquidators has some pretty good deals on Belleau Woods floors. I put one in last month that can actually be sanded and refinished. That was extremely impressive to me.
Yea...that was the plan until the SO and I had the "we need a bigger house" discussion.

Now we're going to install carpet into the main living areas because we don't feel that buyers in this range and area will understand the value of the hardwood floors. I don't care for carpet but it looks like I won't have to live with it for too long (hopefully).

...and I was looking forward to that project too.

Wrasse
04-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Wrasse,
I'm constantly emphasizing to my wife that in order for a job to be done right, I need the proper tools. That has gotten me a lot of tools over the years. This may sound like TAS ( Tool Acquisition Syndorome) to some folks but it is the honest truth. There's nothing worse than trying to do a job with crappy tools or worse, the wrong tools. Nice purchase and don't feel guilty.
Thanks...and I've found out the hard way many times.

She's watched me struggle with some jobs so I'm beginning to think it may be easier to convince her of the purchase.

Lzen
04-07-2005, 03:15 PM
Thanks...and I've found out the hard way many times.

She's watched me struggle with some jobs so I'm beginning to think it may be easier to convince her of the purchase.

That sounds very familiar. :)

Lzen
04-07-2005, 03:15 PM

I was thinking of some woman that goes to church. :p