PDA

View Full Version : "Hey, Hey, Hey...." I'm Fat Kotter.

Mr. Kotter
04-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Seemed like an appropriate first thread. Heh.

Yeah, I'm starting a new "lifestyle" (again) on Monday, 4/11. I could probably stand to lose 50 pounds if I'm ambitious, and really want to get back to my "healthy" weight--but I'll be happy with half that, to start.

I'm gonna start by walkin' 30 minutes, 5-6 days a week, cutting out pop and snacks, and reducing my serving sizes. I might try an Atkins induction for a couple of weeks to "jump start" things...but that's pretty radical for me; I would have no problem reducing carbs, but I'm tryin' to be realistic. :(

I plan to weigh-in and report each Monday morning begin on the 11th. (No, I'll not be sharing "before" and "after" photos....so don't ask. :p )

Advice and support would be welcome. Wish me luck. :thumb:

chiefs4me
04-07-2005, 04:08 PM
Well we need a before photo.....so we know you aren't cheating.;)

Ari Chi3fs
04-10-2005, 08:04 PM
cut down the soda man... its huge. Ive dropped 10lbs this year, just eliminating them. Cut it down to a couple a week... then eliminate them. they suck

Mr. Kotter
04-11-2005, 09:25 AM
Monday, April 11th. I stepped on the scales this morning at 253 lbs.....ouch. Even the usual, "I'm 6'1", 'mesomorphic,' and big-boned" won't hide the fact that I'm long over-due for this "lifestyle change." :banghead:

Mr. Kotter
04-11-2005, 09:26 AM
cut down the soda man... its huge. Ive dropped 10lbs this year, just eliminating them. Cut it down to a couple a week... then eliminate them. they suck

That's definitely in the plans.

morphius
04-11-2005, 10:25 AM
I switched to nothing but diet soda, there are very few of these that are drinkable, and those that are, are not great. But at 110 calories a can, you can find something else to eat...

Just cut down on portions and really start to watch what you eat. Like I said somewhere else, stay away from fries at fast food restaurants as well, in weightwatchers a can of soda is 3 points, a quarter pounder with cheese is 7 points and a regular fry is 14 points. So obviously, fries are very bad!

Good luck.

Mr. Kotter
04-11-2005, 11:10 AM
I switched to nothing but diet soda, there are very few of these that are drinkable, and those that are, are not great. But at 110 calories a can, you can find something else to eat...

Just cut down on portions and really start to watch what you eat. Like I said somewhere else, stay away from fries at fast food restaurants as well, in weightwatchers a can of soda is 3 points, a quarter pounder with cheese is 7 points and a regular fry is 14 points. So obviously, fries are very bad!

Good luck.

Good advice. Thanks. :thumb:

morphius
04-11-2005, 11:35 AM
Good advice. Thanks. :thumb:
Another bit of advice, I read recently that muscle burns 10x's more calories then does fat. So, while lifting weight could have you gain weight in the short term, in the long term you will lose more weight rapidly.

I did a mix of cardio and lifting, elliptical machine Tues, Thur, Sat with lifting on Mon, Wed, Sun. I got out of town about once a month on weekends and just used that time for my body to rest and recover. While my example is a bit extreme, it worked really fast.

Mr. Kotter
04-11-2005, 12:02 PM
Another bit of advice, I read recently that muscle burns 10x's more calories then does fat. So, while lifting weight could have you gain weight in the short term, in the long term you will lose more weight rapidly.

I did a mix of cardio and lifting, elliptical machine Tues, Thur, Sat with lifting on Mon, Wed, Sun. I got out of town about once a month on weekends and just used that time for my body to rest and recover. While my example is a bit extreme, it worked really fast.

Yup. I'm a former coach....so even though I haven't lived it much, especially the last five years I know.

Being "mesomorphic" has it's advantages---I lose weight faster than most, typically, because of the muscle beneath the flab. Switchin' up rountines every 5-6 weeks is important too, as I recall.

Simplex3
04-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Yup. I'm a former coach....so even though I haven't lived it much, especially the last five years I know.

Being "mesomorphic" has it's advantages---I lose weight faster than most, typically, because of the muscle beneath the flab. Switchin' up rountines every 5-6 weeks is important too, as I recall.
When I was training heavily I would do 5 weeks on, one week off, then change routines and start all over again. For me "changing routines" meant switching around the days I did different muscle groups and changing the specific exercises.

morphius
04-11-2005, 12:11 PM

Yeah, I'm not doing very good on switching stuff up. I'm hoping to get some more equipment shortly to allow me to change up things.

I think I do a lot more excercises in my workout then is the norm, but I designed my workout to lose weight and not so much build muscle. Right now there are 12 upper body lifts, 6 lower body and 7 ab excercises that I do. I'm looking at switching a lot of it around and do some changing up on it, as right now I do a lot of lifts that are just slight variations of others. Its a big mess, but once I get it locked down it should be fun.

Mr. Kotter
04-20-2005, 07:16 PM
Forgot to post my weigh-in on Monday: 248 lbs....5 lbs in 8 days, a slower start than "normal" for me...but I wasn't as diligent with the "exercise" as I should have been. I'm sore, so I'm having to go slower than I usually do...

It's a start though.

Mr. Kotter
05-02-2005, 01:56 PM
I took last week "off" for a number of reasons....

anyway, the 5/02 weigh-in was:

246 lbs....down three more. Not terrible, but it's sure a lot slower than it use to be.... :(

Ari Chi3fs
05-02-2005, 08:12 PM
dude you are making progress. keep up the good work bro.

Mr. Kotter
05-10-2005, 08:15 AM
I took last week "off" for a number of reasons....

anyway, the 5/02 weigh-in was:

246 lbs....down three more. Not terrible, but it's sure a lot slower than it use to be.... :(

244 lbs....still progress, but slow. Hopefully it'll pick up once summer is here.

Mr. Kotter
05-16-2005, 03:33 PM
244 lbs....still progress, but slow. Hopefully it'll pick up once summer is here.

Ugh. Relatives in town for the weekend, other excuses....I'm back to 247. :banghead:

Cochise
05-24-2005, 12:33 PM
I need some help here too. I'm about 6'3", and am tipping the scales at 190. I mean, my weight has been skyrocketing at the rate of about a pound a year now for the past 3-4 years. Mr. Kotter, can you help me?

morphius
05-27-2005, 10:25 PM
Ugh. Relatives in town for the weekend, other excuses....I'm back to 247. :banghead:
Eh, shrug it off and stick with what you are doing. I was always happy when I made it back from my Mom's at either the weight I left or within a pound or two.