PDA

View Full Version : Marlin Jackson

AustinChief
04-07-2005, 05:01 PM
OK I'm officially AGAINST drafting any other CB ... If we can't trade down (or take him at 15.. which is still a good deal) I say go for OLB or DE.

This is from a recent interview with him...

4. What other position do you wish you could play?
Jackson: I wish I could play linebacker. They're so close to the line and hitting. They're up close and personal, meeting the running backs right when they hit the hole.

13. Which NFL stadium are you most looking forward to playing in?
Jackson: Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City. They've got some crazy fans. I'd like to play there.

16. It's 100 years from now. How are people going to remember you?
Jackson: As a geniune guy, a guy that got his job done and cared about other people.

The interview with Rolle made him sound like a complete tool... I personally don't want him even if he miraculously fell to us.

And I never did like 'pac-man' jones

So count me in as saying that whoever takes MJ, especially if it is in the 20-32 range of picks... is getting a complete steal.

--Kyle

shaneo69
04-07-2005, 05:09 PM
OK I'm officially AGAINST drafting any other CB ... If we can't trade down (or take him at 15.. which is still a good deal) I say go for OLB or DE.

This is from a recent interview with him...

The interview with Rolle made him sound like a complete tool... I personally don't want him even if he miraculously fell to us.

And I never did like 'pac-man' jones

So count me in as saying that whoever takes MJ, especially if it is in the 20-32 range of picks... is getting a complete steal.

--Kyle

Pretty cool. If we traded our #15 overall to Philly for their 1st rounder (#31) and the early 2nd rounder they got from Miami (#35), we could probably get Marlin, Surtain (with our own 2nd rounder) and Blackstock, who mentioned in his diary that he's big Chiefs fan. :thumb:

HolmeZz
04-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Unfortunately you don't just draft players who like your team. You draft players who you think will make your team better.

LiL stumppy
04-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Unfortunately you don't just draft players who like your team. You draft players who you think will make your team better.

Not the Chiefs :banghead:

AustinChief
04-07-2005, 05:27 PM

I don't have any clue why he isn't the top rated CB in this draft I'm guessing the one season playing safety must have really hurt hist stock... but otherwise he is one of the most "proven" CBs in this draft. He would fit perfectly into a Gunther D.

alpha_omega
04-07-2005, 05:29 PM
...and don't forget...dude played against Braylon Edwards everyday in practice! And IMO, that is worth something.

carlos3652
04-07-2005, 05:33 PM
I don't have any clue why he isn't the top rated CB in this draft I'm guessing the one season playing safety must have really hurt hist stock... but otherwise he is one of the most "proven" CBs in this draft. He would fit perfectly into a Gunther D.

He played Safety.... we will trade up and definitely get this guy with our #11 pick from the Cowboys...

suds79
04-07-2005, 05:38 PM
While I'd be okay with drafting Jackson if we traded down, but I think we're in a great spot to get a real quality player.

Plus there's risk involved. There's no guarantee he'd be there if we traded down. Imagine how angry this place would be if we traded down only to miss out on Jackson and the other top 3 CBs?

When the 15th rolls around, if Rolle or Rogers and maybe even Jones are there, I say don't mess around and get your young stud corner.

If all 3 are gone, then start dealing.

Mr. Laz
04-07-2005, 05:38 PM
there's a chance we actually get jackson in the 2nd round if we trade up a little

if we DON'T sign Law or trade for surtain then my cornerback play is

1st carlos rogers
2nd (trade up) marlin Jackson

AustinChief
04-07-2005, 05:56 PM
While I'd be okay with drafting Jackson if we traded down, but I think we're in a great spot to get a real quality player.

Plus there's risk involved. There's no guarantee he'd be there if we traded down. Imagine how angry this place would be if we traded down only to miss out on Jackson and the other top 3 CBs?

When the 15th rolls around, if Rolle or Rogers and maybe even Jones are there, I say don't mess around and get your young stud corner.

If all 3 are gone, then start dealing.

I think Rolle is the only CB who can make a legitimate claim to be better than Jackson... and he is a jackass. Rogers and Jones MAY be better but who knows... they definitely weren't getting this kind of press last year... whereas I can remember Jackson being talked about as a stud 3 years ago.

--Kyle

the Talking Can
04-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Pretty cool. If we traded our #15 overall to Philly for their 1st rounder (#31) and the early 2nd rounder they got from Miami (#35), we could probably get Marlin, Surtain (with our own 2nd rounder) and Blackstock, who mentioned in his diary that he's big Chiefs fan. :thumb:

I think #31 is a little low...if we could drop to about 20-23 and get a high second we might get lucky with Pollack/Jackson...or drop farther and get Roth/Jackson....

Detoxing
04-07-2005, 06:07 PM
I think Rolle is the only CB who can make a legitimate claim to be better than Jackson... and he is a jackass. Rogers and Jones MAY be better but who knows... they definitely weren't getting this kind of press last year... whereas I can remember Jackson being talked about as a stud 3 years ago.

--Kyle

why is he a jackass?

AustinChief
04-07-2005, 06:14 PM
why is he a jackass?

15. It's 100 years from now. How are people going to remember you?
Rolle: The greatest player and the greatest person to ever play the game.

..and he is a Miami turd.

DaKCMan AP
04-07-2005, 06:15 PM
from what I read jackson is projected to play safety in the NFL, which only increases the chances we'll draft him :banghead:

I might be confusing him with someone else..

AustinChief
04-07-2005, 06:18 PM
from what I read jackson is projected to play safety in the NFL, which only increases the chances we'll draft him :banghead:

any team that drafts him to play safety is insane... he was just "decent" at safety the ONE year he played it... and that was only because U-M had two other good CBs and NO safeties worth a lick.. so they moved him over because the other two CBs weren't versatile enough to make the move. Otherwise he has ALWAYS been a true CB.

--Kyle

Mr. Laz
04-07-2005, 06:19 PM

i don't know about that... he struggle when used at safety in college.

did much better at cornerback before and after the safety play

CosmicPal
04-07-2005, 06:21 PM
I don't think the chances are good he'll be a Chief. I think he might be a tad too high at 15.

If we took the chance and dropped a few slots and picked up another draft pick while getting him- I'd be very happy welcoming him as our newest Chief.

AustinChief
04-07-2005, 06:34 PM
I don't think the chances are good he'll be a Chief. I think he might be a tad too high at 15.

If we took the chance and dropped a few slots and picked up another draft pick while getting him- I'd be very happy welcoming him as our newest Chief.

I think we could safely drop to #26 but I would worry about dropping much lower.

jspchief
04-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Ugh. I'm not a fan of Jackson at all. My prediction is he fails at NFL CB and gets moved to safety. I'm pretty sure I've already had this conversation once with austinchief.

AustinChief
04-07-2005, 06:40 PM
Ugh. I'm not a fan of Jackson at all. My prediction is he fails at NFL CB and gets moved to safety. I'm pretty sure I've already had this conversation once with austinchief.

yep.. I still don't know why you don't like him.. I watched nearly every game of his... he was always solid.

--Kyle

Coach
04-07-2005, 06:54 PM
yep.. I still don't know why you don't like him.. I watched nearly every game of his... he was always solid.

--Kyle

I watch the Big Ten a lot as most of you may know and Marlin Jackson can definitely bring it.

Tribal Warfare
04-07-2005, 07:18 PM
I still say if DJ is in range the Chiefs should jump at him like a fat kid diving at a ham sandwich

milkman
04-07-2005, 07:29 PM

I've heard the same tradedown scenario talked about on here before.

Who was it that suggested this exact same trade.

Oh, wait, I know.
I've been pimping this trade and draft for nearly a month now!

ChiefsCountry
04-07-2005, 07:32 PM
How about instead trade our 4th to Miami for Surtain and use our 1st and 2nd trade up to 6 or 7 and get DJ.

beer bacon
04-07-2005, 07:37 PM
How about instead trade our 4th to Miami for Surtain and use our 1st and 2nd trade up to 6 or 7 and get DJ.

Why trade our 4th. We should just trade our 7th for Surtain!

Logical
04-07-2005, 09:15 PM
15. It's 100 years from now. How are people going to remember you?
Rolle: The greatest player and the greatest person to ever play the game.

..and he is a Miami turd.Wow I don't see anything at all wrong with that statement as a goal. Sure it is ambitious and agressive as hell, but that is what I want in a player. I want the Ray Lewis of CBs.

Chiefnj
04-07-2005, 10:00 PM
I think it is going to be very interesting to see which college CB's pan out in the pros.

Entering the 2005 season the highest rated corners (in no particular order) were Webster, Jackson and Rolle. Rolle has maintained the top dog status, primarily IMO because he's from Miami and Miami defenders often do well in the pros.

Jackson also played very well, but as soon as the season ended all this BS talk about him being a safety came up. Anyone who watched him the past two years knows he's a much better corner. Anyone who watched the combine drills knows how good he looked at a corner. Despite this his stock hasn't risen all that much on the mock drafts. I wouldn't be surprised however if he was taken in the top 25.

Webster would have likely been a first round pick had he declared his after his junior year and winning the National Championship. He returned, didn't have a great year/didn't have a bad year, but has slipped considerably after having a bad senior bowl week. I'm not sure what to think of him. For the last two years he's been lining up in a Pro style man-on-man defense for Saban and playing very well. I think some team is going to grab him late in the 1st/early in the 2nd and be very happy.

What I really don't understand is how Jones shot up the boards. Collegefootball news had him ranked as the 24th best corner entering 2005. I'm not sure what really impressed people watching him his senior year. They played teams like Rutgers and Temple and Connecticut. Is it a surprise he shut down their top receivers? I think he will end up dropping in the draft because of his height and hype.

OmahaChief
04-07-2005, 10:02 PM
Wow I don't see anything at all wrong with that statement as a goal. Sure it is ambitious and agressive as hell, but that is what I want in a player. I want the Ray Lewis of CBs.

You have to understand that if a player is from UM it is the cool thing to bash them no matter what. Confidence is a great thing for a kid unless he is from UM. It's the same crap these people constantly spew. I find it funny but sad really that they can not think on their own and simply follow a late 80s and early 90s media perception.

I think Chiefs fans have forgotten they once cheered for the likes of Andre Rison, Bam Morris, Tam Vanouver and others. All much worse of a person then most of the UM players they hate with a passion.

Manila-Chief
04-08-2005, 12:06 AM
Kyle,

Are you saying that you think he is better than Rogers who recieved the post season awards?

I think we can't tell who the Chiefs are targeting. Hopefully, they will do their own scouting and come up with true talent at #15 and Jackson just may be that guy?

Every year there are players taken down in the draft that when it comes time to preform will outshine the first dozen picks. Kearse (sp?) comes to mind.

So, just maybe Jackson will turn out to be the number CB in the NFL!!! Would be nice for us to get him late in the draft.

Woodrow Call
04-08-2005, 12:14 AM
Why trade our 4th. We should just trade our 7th for Surtain!

ROFL