PDA

View Full Version : Laurie to Transfer

Woodrow Call
04-07-2005, 11:45 PM
Looks like Missouri State is the front runner. He should fit in better in the MVC. I look forward to seeing him in Bears uniform. :thumb:

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/11340178.htm

Posted on Thu, Apr. 07, 2005

Spencer Laurie leaving Missouri

By MIKE DeARMOND The Kansas City Star

Spencer Laurie, a one-time Mr. Show-Me Basketball honoree after his senior year at Springfield Kickapoo, won't be around to show 'em at Mizzou next season.

Laurie, a 6-foot-1 reserve point guard who played in only seven games as a sophomore last season because of knee and ankle injuries, will transfer at the end of the current school year, Missouri officials announced Thursday night.

Coach Quin Snyder and Laurie were quoted in a statement.

“Mizzou is a special place to me, and I have had a very positive experience during my time here,” Laurie's statement read, in part.

Snyder's statement said he wished Laurie “nothing but the best.”

Sources have indicated to The Star that Laurie might wind up at his hometown school, Southwest Missouri State. MU officials would not address that speculation. Messages left by telephone and e-mail with Laurie and with his family in Springfield were not returned Thursday to The Star.

Two weeks ago, Snyder said he expected all MU players eligible to return for another season to do so.

“Those things can always change,” Snyder said. “But right now everybody's going to be here other than obviously (seniors Jason) Conley and (Brian) Dailey.”

As late as a week ago, when reports of Laurie's possible departure first surfaced, MU officials took the same stance.

Officially, Laurie played only 74 minutes in seven games, scoring four points, handing out 12 assists.

Laurie's departure will not affect NCAA scholarship limitations Missouri accepted as part of last November's program sanctions. The Tigers will still be limited to two scholarship awards for next season, which have already gone to Leo Criswell and Keaton Grant.

Criswell, also offered by Kentucky, Marquette and UNLV, is a 6-8 forward originally from Piper High School, who played last season at Coastal Christian Academy in Virginia Beach, Va., and is ranked as the No. 26 combo forward in the country by Rivals.com.

Grant, from Gateway High in Kissimmee, Fla., is a 6-2 shooting guard ranked No. 28 at that position nationally by Rivals.com. However, Grant has yet to qualify academically, and Missouri has continued to recruit the likes of Moberly (Mo.) junior-college point guard Eddie Smith.

Missouri does have a third commitment for the class of 2005 in 6-6 forward Matt Lawrence of St. Louis Lafayette. However, Lawrence is anticipated to come on an academic, and not an athletic, scholarship. He is not ranked by Rivals.com.

ChiefsCountry
04-08-2005, 12:48 AM
Would be very sweet seeing him on the Bears.