PDA

View Full Version : Sharper vs. Surtain ???

petegz28
04-08-2005, 06:47 AM
With Beisel leaving, Fuji going under the knife and Barber all but done do we go after Jamie Sharper instead of Surtain?

Count Zarth
04-08-2005, 06:49 AM
Fujita's fine. I have a strong feeling the Chiefs will draft someone to play OLB.

Would you rather have Fox at OLB or Bartee at CB?

the Talking Can
04-08-2005, 06:50 AM
our D is so terrible I wonder if any amount of money can fix it.

Cochise
04-08-2005, 06:51 AM
If we line up the same two corners this year it won't matter how good we are up front.

petegz28
04-08-2005, 06:52 AM
Fujita's fine. I have a strong feeling the Chiefs will draft someone to play OLB.

Would you rather have Fox at OLB or Bartee at CB?

I'll take my chances on Fox! At least he hasn't really proved he stinks. Bartee has.

htismaqe
04-08-2005, 07:30 AM
I would rather have Surtain than anybody else.

If it comes down to playing Fox at WSLB or not getting Surtain, I'll settle for Fox...

Kyle401
04-08-2005, 07:34 AM
Surtain is a better player at a position where we have the greatest need. Rather have Surtain (unless he costs us our 2nd.)

petegz28
04-08-2005, 07:39 AM
Surtain is a better player at a position where we have the greatest need. Rather have Surtain (unless he costs us our 2nd.)

I'll take Surtain even if it costs us our 2nd round pick.

wutamess
04-08-2005, 07:39 AM
I would rather have Surtain than anybody else.

If it comes down to playing Fox at WSLB or not getting Surtain, I'll settle for Fox...

Well done! Spoken like a true, "mod".
No mod attack mode today... I'm proud of you! :thumb:

Chiefnj
04-08-2005, 07:43 AM
That's a good question.

If the Chiefs kept the 2nd round pick they could go with a CB in rounds 1 and 2 (Rogers/Jackson in the first and Webster/Green in the second), make a run for Sharper and still have a little money left over for a 2nd/3rd tier free agent corner still available.

Kyle401
04-08-2005, 08:08 AM
I'll take Surtain even if it costs us our 2nd round pick.

Well you are then in agreement with the majority on the board, but I would rather rely on a rookie CB than give up the 2nd for Surtain. I know this an unpopular view, but I think we have too many needs to only have 2 picks on the first day. I also believe that the new rules benefit younger, less experienced CB's. If we give up our second we definitely need to trade down from #15 to regain some picks. My ideal scenario would be to trade down 2-3 spots in the 1st and gain an extra low 3rd to trade for Surtain. Or we could trade our 4th this year and a conditional 3rd next year. :)

alpha_omega
04-08-2005, 08:09 AM
Surtain!

Chiefnj
04-08-2005, 08:16 AM
Assume the Dolphins stick to thier guns on the 2nd and assume Fuji might not be able to start. Which is a better defensive back 7

Choice A

WLB: Barber (?), Boley (2nd Round Pick)
MLB: Sharper (free agent)
SLB: Bell, Fuji

CB: Warfield
CB: Rogers (1st round), A. Dyson (free agent)

Choice B

WLB: Barber (?), Fox
MLB: Bell
SLB: Fuji (?), 1st or 2nd round draft pick.

CB: Warfield
CB: Surtain, 1st or 2nd round draft pick.

htismaqe
04-08-2005, 08:22 AM
Well done! Spoken like a true, "mod".
No mod attack mode today... I'm proud of you! :thumb:

Color me confused.

htismaqe
04-08-2005, 08:23 AM
Well you are then in agreement with the majority on the board, but I would rather rely on a rookie CB than give up the 2nd for Surtain. I know this an unpopular view, but I think we have too many needs to only have 2 picks on the first day. I also believe that the new rules benefit younger, less experienced CB's. If we give up our second we definitely need to trade down from #15 to regain some picks. My ideal scenario would be to trade down 2-3 spots in the 1st and gain an extra low 3rd to trade for Surtain. Or we could trade our 4th this year and a conditional 3rd next year. :)

We have a ton of needs.

We can also, based on historical probability, safely assume that our 2nd-round pick will NOT contribute this year.

We need immediate impact - the only way to get that is to get Patrick Surtain.

the Talking Can
04-08-2005, 08:26 AM
Bartee
McCleon
Sapp
Battle

Two of those 4 losers will start for the first 4 games.

Surtain is a no brainer.

Sure-Oz
04-08-2005, 08:28 AM
Surtain easily.

1adam1238
04-08-2005, 08:35 AM
I agree Surtain is a proven player. Relying on a draft pick is a crap shoot. We might get lucky and we might not.......I wonder if there is any chance at all that Maz will be back?

bringbackmarty
04-08-2005, 08:37 AM
probably choice "b" but what would bill belichek do?oh yeah he signed biesel. It seems more like we were forced into making a deal with fooj cause the pats dun stole monty.
there is something to be said about forgoing a top tier cb, at least until draft day and seeing what all of our options really are. Maybe the answer is drafting cb in the top two rounds (like chiefnj said), or ILB and OLB the first two. The more we do in 2nd tier free agency, the better our options are for the draft in terms of actually addressing a need. I bet we go offense in rd one or two though, just a feeling. I think they want someone who can help them right away no matter what. If it ends up being a tackle, backup qbotf (which is a serious need), or wr so be it. Especially if they trade down to get extra picks to consumate the surtain deal. Do any of you remember the interview, or was it a hot off the wire or something in which carl says the chiefs plan to be very active in free agency in order to help their defense. I took that to mean, "yeah we might draft defense on day one, but this pick is Vermiel's legacy pick, and Dick wants a Wr, QB, or tackle." Maybe another shitty end?

Kyle401
04-08-2005, 08:41 AM
We have a ton of needs.

We can also, based on historical probability, safely assume that our 2nd-round pick will NOT contribute this year.

We need immediate impact - the only way to get that is to get Patrick Surtain.

Traditionally, our second round picks do not contribute because we spend them on 26 year old DT's (with questionable intelligence) that have only been playing football for 2 years or some similar nonsense. I'm hoping against all probability that we will somehow manage to select a semi-polished football player this year. :grovel:

Brock
04-08-2005, 08:42 AM
Bartee
McCleon
Sapp
Battle

Two of those 4 losers will start for the first 4 games.

Surtain is a no brainer.

I'm not sure that's true. It sounds to me like Warfield will avoid a suspension altogether.

bringbackmarty
04-08-2005, 08:57 AM
Maybe we should sign a second tier db, like dyson, before the draft. If noone we like is a 15, we then trade down for picks, pull the trigger on surtain and draft ILB and WLB. Surtain, Warfield, Dyson. slb-Bell, Fujita Ilb - Maz, Mitchell, Or late rd 1 pick, wlb - Fuj, Barber, Fox?, rd 2 pick.

petegz28
04-08-2005, 09:10 AM

If we are going to do any trading on draft day I would just assume trade UP and get Johnson.

wutamess
04-08-2005, 09:12 AM
Color me confused.

Shouldn't be confusing at all. Everytime Petegz28 posts you're usually on it like flies on chit. Nice change of pace for once. That's all.

Kyle401
04-08-2005, 09:18 AM
If we are going to do any trading on draft day I would just assume trade UP and get Johnson.

That would be nice but, a move up basically precludes any trade for Surtain, unless the Dolphins change their demands.

ChiefsCountry
04-08-2005, 09:21 AM
Dolphins will cave in. This is Trent Green Part II. 1st and 2nd round pick will move us up pretty good, probally between 5 and 8. If Cleveland doesn't take him at 3, then it would be good for us to move up and get him.

Mr. Laz
04-08-2005, 09:47 AM
i wouldn't think that sharper would demand anywhere near the money that surtain is going to.

Sharper can be added without effecting the surtain/law deal imo

Joe Seahawk
04-08-2005, 09:54 AM
We'll get Sharper.. :p

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/219353_hawk08.html

Mr. Laz
04-08-2005, 09:56 AM
We'll get Sharper.. :p

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/219353_hawk08.html

i hate you :spock:

the Talking Can
04-08-2005, 10:14 AM
I'm not sure that's true. It sounds to me like Warfield will avoid a suspension altogether.

whoa!...I missed that, that would be some of the best news of the offseason...but I'd still want Surtain, he's younger and better than Sharper

Brock
04-08-2005, 10:16 AM
whoa!...I missed that, that would be some of the best news of the offseason...but I'd still want Surtain, he's younger and better than Sharper

It's still up in the air, for sure. It appears the NFL screwed up and didn't follow their own procedure, and Warfield slipped through the cracks. We'll see.

the Talking Can
04-08-2005, 10:18 AM
It's still up in the air, for sure. It appears the NFL screwed up and didn't follow their own procedure, and Warfield slipped through the cracks. We'll see.

Sweet. Its about time we got treated like Denver by the league.

beavis
04-08-2005, 10:22 AM
Why not both?

Tribal Warfare
04-08-2005, 11:11 AM
I voted for Surtain, because Derrick Johnson wasn't an option

StcChief
04-08-2005, 11:16 AM
Surtain for certain. Forget Sharper.

Any draftee will unlikely make an impact until end of year
at the

htismaqe
04-08-2005, 11:45 AM
Dolphins will cave in. This is Trent Green Part II. 1st and 2nd round pick will move us up pretty good, probally between 5 and 8. If Cleveland doesn't take him at 3, then it would be good for us to move up and get him.

Um, the Rams demanded our 12th pick and they GOT IT. They didn't "cave" they just ended up giving us an extra pick and Tony Horne as well as Green.

So if this is Trent Green Part II, plan on giving up the 2nd and getting a 5th + a special teamer back.