PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma State signee Gerald Green Applys for NBA Draft

royr17
04-08-2005, 01:05 PM
McDonald's All-American not retaining an agentAssociated Press

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Oklahoma State basketball signee Gerald Green will apply for early entry into the NBA draft, but his father says the 6-foot-8 shooting guard will retain the option of playing at OSU by not hiring an agent.

"He wants to win a national championship at OSU, but if he's a lotto pick, that's hard to turn down," Gerald Green Sr. said. "That's why you go to college, to get a degree to earn a good living. It's a catch-22 situation. We'll probably stick him (on the draft list) just to see how it goes."

Not hiring an agent will allow Green to retain his eligibility. Players who want to go to the NBA before completing their senior year in college must file by May 14. The draft is June 28.

Green, from Houston's Gulf Shores Academy, is rated the No. 1 high school senior in the country by Rivals.com. He signed with OSU in November, but there has been speculation Green would jump to the NBA.

Green has said repeatedly he intends to attend OSU, and his father says he wants to be a Cowboy. But the father adds that if Green is a lottery pick in the NBA, he'll consider skipping college.

A lottery pick is one of the first 14 players selected with the top pick guaranteed a three-year contract worth $10.8 million. The 14th player chosen is guaranteed a three-year contract worth $3.8 million.

His NBA stock shot up in the recent McDonald's High School All-American game in which he won the slam-dunk contest and scored a game-high 24 points.

"It will be a really tough decision," said Gerald Green Sr. "I'll pretty much leave it up to him. He wants to go to OSU. He's not concerned at all (with NBA draft speculation). I want him to be happy. If he's not a lotto pick, he'll definitely go to OSU. But if he's a lotto pick, he's not stupid."

royr17
04-08-2005, 01:07 PM
Junior swingman retains agent

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Junior swingman Kelenna Azubuike, Kentucky's leading scorer this season, said he has signed with an agent and will forego his final season of eligibility.

In a statement released by the university, Azubuike announced his intention to enter the NBA draft and not return for his senior season.

"I know all the implications of signing with an agent," Azubuike said. "I believe I am ready and I am willing to do whatever it takes to get better before the draft. I want to make it clear that this is my decision but my family is solidly behind me."

The 6-foot-5, 220-pound Azubuike averaged 14.7 points per game and was second on the team in rebounding this season at 4.7 per game. Kentucky finished 28-6 and lost to Michigan State in the Austin regional final of the NCAA tournament.

This is not Azubuike's his first flirtation with the NBA.

During his senior season at Victory Christian School in Tulsa, Okla., Azubuike openly spoke about jumping straight from high school into the NBA, but instead chose to sign with Kentucky. He scored 3,530 points during his prep career, second-best in Oklahoma history, and averaged 39.1 points and 13.3 rebounds per game as a senior.

The NBA draft is June 28.

Azubuike averaged 3.7 points per game in 31 games as a freshman reserve before breaking into the starting lineup at the start of his sophomore season. As a sophomore, he averaged 11.1 points and 5.0 rebounds per game and emerged as a defensive stopper for the Wildcats.

Kentucky went 87-15, won two Southeastern Conference titles and twice appeared in a NCAA tournament regional final during Azubuike's career.

"Kelenna has been a model student-athlete and will be sorely missed," Kentucky coach Tubby Smith said in a statement. "He's done everything we've asked him to do since he's been at UK and we'll do everything we can to help him achieve his goals and dreams."

During Smith's eight years as Kentucky's coach, only one other player has forfeited his senior season of eligibility with the Wildcats: Nazr Mohammed in 1998. Mohammed was the final player chosen in the first round of that year's NBA draft.

Another player, Marquis Estill, could've pursued a final season of eligibility, but chose not to do so and entered the NBA draft in 2003. He went undrafted.

In recent years, Kentucky players Tayshaun Prince in 2001 and Keith Bogans in 2002 each declared for the NBA draft following their junior seasons, only to reconsider and return. Both were drafted following their senior seasons.

Azubuike's situation is complicated by an impending federal prison sentence facing his father, Kenneth Azubuike. In November, a U.S. Bankruptcy court jury found the elder Azubuike guilty of 41 federal counts alleging he had defrauded investors, banks and the court.

The charges alleged that Kenneth Azubuike committed bank fraud and wire fraud, made false statements to banks and engaged in interstate transportation of stolen property.

A federal judge in Oklahoma ordered him to report by April 17 for a four-year prison sentence, to be served at the Federal Medical Center in Lexington.

royr17
04-08-2005, 01:10 PM
UNC expects McCants to exit early, May to stay

May suggests he'll return for senior season

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- North Carolina coach Roy Williams expects guard Rashad McCants to forgo his senior season to enter the NBA draft.

"I think Rashad told people last night he was going to go; we had that discussion as early as first of the semester, as early as January, knowing at that time is was probably going to happen," Williams said at a news conference Tuesday in St. Louis, where he accepted the national championship trophy.

Sean May, however, suggested he would return for his senior season during remarks at the Tar Heels' victory celebration in Chapel Hill with fans in the Smith Center on Tuesday afternoon.

"I love ya'll. Thank ya'll. We're going to try to come back and do it next year," May said. "Along with that I'm going to try to get some of these guys to come back with me."

Williams confirmed May's stated intentions.

"Sean has said publicly he is coming back, but we'll sit down and talk," Williams said.

He also alluded to other non-seniors on the team who could go pro in his remarks in St. Louis.

"Raymond [Felton], he and I sat down before the season started and said we would have a discussion once the season was over," Williams said. "Marvin [Williams], I've heard him say that he'd really love to stay, but he and I are going to sit down and talk."

McCants had 14 points, two rebounds and an assist in the 75-70 win over Illinois on Monday night. For the season, he averaged 16 points, three rebounds and nearly three assists.

McCants addressed the Chapel Hill crowd, but gave no indication he planned to head for the NBA early.

"It's going to be great to look up in the stands and see 2005 national champions [on a banner]," he said. "Let's see if we can make it in 2006."

Players were unavailable for further comment after the event, which drew about 15,000 fans.

North Carolina is definitely losing seniors Jawad Williams, Jackie Manuel and Melvin Scott.

Saulbadguy
04-08-2005, 01:22 PM
The Portsmouth invitational is going on right now.

royr17
04-08-2005, 01:41 PM
The Portsmouth invitational is going on right now.

Cool.

What the hell happened to your rep Saul ???

Saulbadguy
04-08-2005, 01:42 PM
Cool.

What the hell happened to your rep Saul ???
Atomic negative rep bomb by Phobia.