PDA

View Full Version : Teicher: Parker still a work in progress

tk13
04-09-2005, 01:09 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/11349686.htm

Parker still in progress

By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

To say the Chiefs are eager to see more from wide receiver Samie Parker would be an understatement.

They remember the big plays and tough catches he delivered last season when he finally broke into their lineup in the final three games. They know all about his game-breaking speed, a big reason they drafted Parker from Oregon with the first of last year's two fourth-round picks.

The Chiefs are still cautious about projecting more from Parker. That's why they met with free agent Kevin Johnson this week and why they might draft a receiver in an early round of the draft later in April.

They were planning to meet next week with two receiving draft prospects, Oklahoma's Mark Bradley and Tulane's Roydell Williams. Both are projected as middle- to late-round choices.

The Chiefs are moving slowly with Parker because as big a jump as he took last year from oblivion to playmaker, this one from part-timer to full-timer is even larger.

“This will be a tougher experience at the beginning because of the simple fact I really haven't played that much,” Parker said before one of the Chiefs' offseason conditioning sessions last week. “But I'm going to work hard in the offseason and at the (practices) to prepare myself to get ready for that.”

Unless Parker plays so well the Chiefs have no choice but to play him a lot, the starting lineup will have to wait.

“You can project in Samie Parker that one day he can start for a winning football team,” coach Dick Vermeil said. “It took him a while to be ready to be even a part-time player. That experience was very good for him. When he went in, he did a good job. But playing full time is a lot different.

“Right now, we'd like to at least see him do what he was able to do at the end of last season, which was go in and play as a contributor.”

That the Chiefs are thinking of Parker in even those relatively modest terms would have been a surprise heading into last season's final weeks. Parker missed most of last year's offseason practices because of college commitments. A hamstring injury deprived him of a large chunk of training camp.

So he was buried deep on the bench for most of his rookie season. Parker was leapfrogged early in the season by Chris Horn and a fellow rookie, Richard Smith. He played in only one game, and then for just a couple of plays, until December.

“I didn't get to practice much, so the coaches got to see very little of me, see what kind of playmaker I could be,” Parker said. “So I can't blame them for not playing me earlier than they did. But the season ended pretty well for me. It was a chance to show the coaches and everybody else what I can do.”

Finally healthy and game-ready, Parker took full advantage of the chance when it arrived. He caught a 48-yard touchdown pass from Trent Green in a win over Denver and had eight other receptions in the last three games.

“He should command more playing time if he keeps doing the things he was doing at the end of last year,” receivers coach Charlie Joiner said. “He'll get a lot of (playing time) if he keeps progressing.”

The Chiefs won't begin formal offseason practices until the middle of May. But Joiner said he can already sense the changes in Parker that the Chiefs wanted to see.

“He's not showing those signs of being a rookie anymore,” Joiner said. “He seems pretty sure of himself. He feels like he's a part of the offense now. He's just walking with that air of more confidence. He's not bleary-eyed anymore when we talk about football. He doesn't have that crazy look on his face when you ask him about certain plays. He knows where he's supposed to be and what he's supposed to do.”

If that continues, the process involving Parker may take less time than the Chiefs hoped.

“I've been hearing them talking about being excited about seeing what I can do,” Parker said. “I think they want to see if I can keep that momentum going and take it to the next level from there.”

• TACKLE SIGNS: The Chiefs signed offensive tackle Thomas Barnett to a two-year contract Friday. Barnett, who played in college at Kansas State, went to training camp with the Chiefs last season but was released before the start of the regular season.

Dunit35
04-09-2005, 01:15 AM
I hope Parker becomes a stud. I really like the guy myself. He's not that small height wise is he (5"11?). He could put on some muscle. I just hope he isnt another Sly. Morris.

htismaqe
04-09-2005, 05:04 AM
Morris got hurt and never recovered. Stuff like that doesn't happen all that often...

Gaz
04-09-2005, 06:15 AM
Parker showed some good stuff when he was on the field. It seems to me that the way for him to get better-prepared for the NFL is to get more live fire action in an NFL game.

xoxo~
Gaz
Wonders if there is a flaw in his logic.

morphius
04-09-2005, 07:45 AM
We could put a lot of pressure on D's with the speed that Parker and Kennison have. I would like to see some of our own drafted offensive talent break into the starting lineup other then OL and TE.

Bowser
04-09-2005, 07:55 AM
I'm very happy to hear Samie is progressing nicely. He is going to be a dangerous third receiver, hopefully this year.

However, I get sick of hearing how cautious we can be with players who have potential. If the kid can play, then play them. If a vet gets his ego bruised, then so be it. (And I know Parker missed the majority of OTC's and training camp, but it seems to be this way with most of our talented rookies, regardless of position.)

morphius
04-09-2005, 08:01 AM
I'm very happy to hear Samie is progressing nicely. He is going to be a dangerous third receiver, hopefully this year.

However, I get sick of hearing how cautious we can be with players who have potential. If the kid can play, then play them. If a vet gets his ego bruised, then so be it. (And I know Parker missed the majority of OTC's and training camp, but it seems to be this way with most of our talented rookies, regardless of position.)
Exactly, that line from Vermeil frustrated me as well. It's very frustrating knowing that they are so afraid of the unknown that they would rather settle for known mediocre players. Heck, look at LJ, finally had to throw him into a fire, he got embarrassed on one block, and became a better player for it and finally took over the second spot on the roster.

It may take a player three years to reach full stride in the NFL, but if that three years are on the bench, forget about it.

whoman69
04-09-2005, 08:03 AM
DV talks about the need to take the diaper off. In his case, he needs to stop buying diapers. He needs to stop getting vets near the end of their career just because he doesn't trust younger players to go to that next step. We have plenty of young receivers right now. Its no time to put all our trust in Johnny Morton II.

Bob Dole
04-09-2005, 09:26 AM
It may take a player three years to reach full stride in the NFL, but if that three years are on the bench, forget about it.

Keep ****ing doubting Matt Blundin!

htismaqe
04-09-2005, 09:56 AM
DV talks about the need to take the diaper off. In his case, he needs to stop buying diapers. He needs to stop getting vets near the end of their career just because he doesn't trust younger players to go to that next step. We have plenty of young receivers right now. Its no time to put all our trust in Johnny Morton II.

:bravo:

Mr. Laz
04-09-2005, 10:37 AM
it would be nice to actually start developing guys again

htismaqe
04-09-2005, 10:47 AM
i would be nice to actually start developing guys again

The last time we actually developed guys was the 80's and we sucked.

We haven't developed much of anything since Carl Peterson got here, whether it was Marty, Gunther, or now Vermeil...

milkman
04-09-2005, 07:37 PM
The last time we actually developed guys was the 80's and we sucked.

We haven't developed much of anything since Carl Peterson got here, whether it was Marty, Gunther, or now Vermeil...

The last we actually developed guys who went on to become real NFL players was the 60s.

TRR
04-09-2005, 07:54 PM

And who would Johnnie Morton II be? I hope your not referring to Keving Johnson.

whoman69
04-09-2005, 08:03 PM
And who would Johnnie Morton II be? I hope your not referring to Keving Johnson.
You can hope and pray, but it will still be so. Is there any indication to believe that a 29 year old that had 35 catches last year is going to be anything more than Johnny Morton without the worm? Is there a reason that Sammie Parker and Boe are not going to get a chance to win the job? Last WR we tried to develop was Lake Dawson.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-09-2005, 08:43 PM
The problem is that our "young WRs" are nothing close to #1 WR talent. We need to either draft one, or sign one in FA. Although there are none in FA now, so the only way is if we draft a WR with the 15th pick. If we end up getting an OLB in FA, and Surtain, I would be fine in getting a WR with the 15th pick.

TRR
04-09-2005, 08:47 PM
You can hope and pray, but it will still be so. Is there any indication to believe that a 29 year old that had 35 catches last year is going to be anything more than Johnny Morton without the worm? Is there a reason that Sammie Parker and Boe are not going to get a chance to win the job? Last WR we tried to develop was Lake Dawson.

And KJ was Baltimore's leading receiver. The reason Morton hasn't panned out in KC is because he has his own agenda. He fakes injuries, he doesn't attend spring workouts, and he's wearing down. KJ has a work ethic. The guy had a 1,000 yard season with Tim Couch at the helm...Tim Couch, the QB who wasn't good enough to make the Bears roster midway through last season.

You can call KJ Morton II if you like, but If we sign him, I'll save that post and make you eat it later on.

SCTrojan
04-09-2005, 08:52 PM
Count me among those (if there are others) who believe that Parker can be a very good receiver. He has the speed, hands and confidence to get it done. Saw him play in college, and he was really good.

Thig Lyfe
04-09-2005, 08:54 PM
it would be nice to actually start developing guys again

We would have to have a not crappy coaching staff for that to work.

Gaz
04-10-2005, 06:55 AM
I fear that the acquisition of Kevin Johnson will push Parker further down the depth chart. I think that is a shame. Parker has the tools to be a good WR. What he needs is seasoning in the fire. Sounds like he is not going to get it. That is a shame.

xoxo~
Gaz
Not sure how a rookie WR is supposed to get the experience he needs.

whoman69
04-10-2005, 10:29 AM
And KJ was Baltimore's leading receiver. The reason Morton hasn't panned out in KC is because he has his own agenda. He fakes injuries, he doesn't attend spring workouts, and he's wearing down. KJ has a work ethic. The guy had a 1,000 yard season with Tim Couch at the helm...Tim Couch, the QB who wasn't good enough to make the Bears roster midway through last season.

You can call KJ Morton II if you like, but If we sign him, I'll save that post and make you eat it later on.
And despite that the Browns felt the need to get rid of him. He was a major headache for them. Baltimore with their lack of talent at receiver is willing to let him go. So now he's ready to get back to his big numbers? Nobody else seems to think so. It just another excuse for DV not to start a younger player because he has a vet.