PDA

View Full Version : Sharper considers offer from hawks

Mr. Laz
04-09-2005, 10:40 AM
LB Sharper considering Seahawks’ offer

MIKE SANDO; The News Tribune
Last updated: April 9th, 2005 02:35 AM

Free-agent linebacker Jamie Sharper remained unsigned Friday after meeting with the Seattle Seahawks.
Sharper, 30, was expected to mull offers from Seattle and other potential suitors, including Cincinnati, before making a decision.

The Seahawks are looking to bolster their front seven after finishing last season with a No. 26 ranking on defense. But the team would likely need to clear salary-cap room before signing a player of Sharper’s caliber.

In recent months, Seattle has allocated millions of dollars toward new contracts with Walter Jones, Matt Hasselbeck, Robbie Tobeck, Alex Bannister, Floyd Womack, Chris Gray, Joe Jurevicius, Chartric Darby, Bryce Fisher, Kelly Herndon and others.

Sharper previously visited the Bengals.

Adding Sharper would upgrade Seattle’s linebacking corps inside and out. An outside linebacker for Baltimore from 1997 through 2001, Sharper has manned the middle for Houston since 2002.

The Seahawks lack depth at linebacker.

Chad Brown, Niko Koutouvides and D.D. Lewis would likely be the starters at present.

Injury problems have slowed Brown in recent seasons, however, and his $4.2 million salary could be difficult to absorb.

McNair will return

Tennessee Titans quarterback Steve McNair, whose injury-plagued 2004 season left him considering retirement, says he feels good again and plans to return for his 11th season.

McNair hurt his chest in September, and missed eight games. In December, he had surgery to graft a sliver of bone from his right hip onto his sternum to strengthen it. Doctors have been monitoring his recovery with periodic tests, and he was cleared to throw within the last 10 days.

“I am excited about coming back to play this season. I feel good physically. My sternum is healing,” McNair said.