PDA

View Full Version : Passthespaghetti:on Hall trade

Wile_E_Coyote
04-09-2005, 01:59 PM
pasquarelli tip sheet

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2032581&num=0

There's an old baseball adage that contends the best trades are those that benefit both teams. That holds true in football, of course, as well. And so, at least on paper, the deal this week that sent Tennessee defensive end Carlos Hall (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6099) to Kansas City for a fifth-round pick in the 2005 draft appears to be a win-win situation. A restricted free agent, Hall had worn out his welcome with the Titans, who made him the low-level qualifying offer back in March to retain a right of first refusal. Tennessee coaches felt that Hall, who posted eight sacks as a rookie in 2002, while filling in for the injured Jevon Kearse (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=4664), drew too many penalties and was undisciplined. And he had collected just 5 ½ sacks (and more personal foul flags than that) in the past two seasons.

But the Chiefs, who need young pass rushers, saw an opportunity to land a guy with upfield skills, and at a reasonable price. There is a chance that Hall, who will compete with second-year veteran Jared Allen (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6885) for the starting job at right end, will be nothing more than a situational pass-rusher. But even in that role, if the Kansas City staff gets him turned around and playing with the kind of fervor and quickness he demonstrated as a rookie, a fifth-round choice might be a small price to pay. Kansas City defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham, who was the linebackers coach in Tennessee for part of Hall's tenure with the Titans, is familiar with the youngster and knows what buttons to push.

The Titans, who would have received only a seventh-round pick for Hall had they allowed the Chiefs to sign him to an offer sheet and then declined to match it, instead will get a selection two rounds higher. With the rebuilding job they face, general manager Floyd Reese and coach Jeff Fisher need a lot of additional draft choices. Dumping the enigmatic Hall also clears the way for the Titans to accelerate the curve for young ends like Travis LaBoy (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6801), Antwan Odom (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6816) and Bo Schobel (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6862), all chosen in the 2004 draft.

Frankie
04-09-2005, 02:05 PM
"Situational pass rusher" huh. Then why did we let R-Kal Truluck go and what did we get for him from the Packers?:shrug:

ClearmontChief
04-09-2005, 02:12 PM
We got a 5th and a 6th for Truluck. We gave up a 5th for Hall. So, we get a player that's equal or better than Truluck, and an additional 6th this season. Worth it, I'd say.

Wile_E_Coyote
04-09-2005, 02:16 PM
2004-Gun gets his job back
2005-Gun gets his players
2006-Gun gets his coaches

Mr. Laz
04-09-2005, 02:24 PM
2004-Gun gets his job back
2005-Gun gets his players
2006-Gun gets his coaches

and by the time all that happens the offense with be fossilized and our SB window slammed shut. :banghead:

dtrain
04-09-2005, 02:34 PM
Why would they bring him in to compete with Jared Allen? I think they should be looking at the other end of the D line.

nascher
04-09-2005, 02:48 PM
Truluck is 30 years old
Carlos is 25 years old another big difference !!!

Valiant
04-09-2005, 02:53 PM
yeah bring the guy in to compete with our only competant defensive player.. not the one that talks shit and never backs it up.. man i hate hicks more and more... all they do is give his one year wonder ass credit and confidence for three years of shit...

Sure-Oz
04-09-2005, 02:57 PM
Truluck has a huge forehead too, weighed him down as a passrusher!

Cochise
04-09-2005, 03:08 PM
I liked truluck when he was here, those couple years it seemed like he was the only one on the roster with a clue about how to get upfield and who played like he wanted to b eon the field. Seems like he's gone and we have two of him now with Hall and Allen, and a 6th rounder in addition so :shrug:

Thig Lyfe
04-09-2005, 03:29 PM
No way Allen loses his job. I'd like to see Hall unseat Hicks, though.

Frankie
04-09-2005, 03:33 PM
I've seen one year wonders before. In fact Hicks is one. I hope Allen ain't.

Mr. Laz
04-09-2005, 03:50 PM

and how good is our run defense gonna be with 260+lb defensive ends on both sides?

nascher
04-09-2005, 03:53 PM
Competition dosen't hurt !

KCChiefsFan88
04-09-2005, 03:55 PM
Hopefully Gunther will know which buttons to push with this guy, but a friend of mine who is a Titans fan describes Hall as a guy who will have one good game then vanish for multiple games at a time, and who has been injury-prone in his brief career.... sounds a lot like Vonnie Holliday to me.

C-Mac
04-09-2005, 03:55 PM
and by the time all that happens the offense with be fossilized and our SB window slammed shut. :banghead:

2006? hmmm lets see..
Tony G\ 30yrs old.... check
Trent Green\35yrs old...check
Tony Richardson\34yrs old..check
Robert Holcombel\29yrs old...check
Dante Hall\27yrs old...check
Larry Johnson\26yrs old...check
Brian Waters\28yrs old...check
Casey Wiegman\32yrs old...check
John Welbourne\28yrs old....check
Jordan Black\25yrs old...check
Sammie Parker\24yrs old...check
Marc Boerigter\27yrs old..check
Kris Wilson\24yrs old..check

Priest Holmes\31yrs old....probably
Kevin Johnson\...probably
Shields....maybe
Roaf......maybe

Yip....aint no way they can win with those old fossilized losers.
:rolleyes:

Rudy lost the toss
04-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Joe Hall? ROFL

Wile_E_Coyote
04-09-2005, 04:53 PM
don't know about the rest but T-rich was born in '71

C-Mac
04-09-2005, 05:05 PM
don't know about the rest but T-rich was born in '71

Sorry, should have went to Chiefs website instead of google.
I still think that there is plenty of quality offensive youth on the team still in 2006.........and thats not inlcuding any from this years draft or late signings.

TRR
04-09-2005, 05:08 PM
2006? hmmm lets see..

Shields....maybe
Roaf......maybe

Also, KJ is only 28 or 29 years old. He'll be around for awhile.

TRR
04-09-2005, 05:10 PM
Hopefully Gunther will know which buttons to push with this guy, but a friend of mine who is a Titans fan describes Hall as a guy who will have one good game then vanish for multiple games at a time, and who has been injury-prone in his brief career.... sounds a lot like Vonnie Holliday to me.

Considering Carlos has only missed 3 games in three season, I would possibly rethink your friends opinion. I wouldn't call a player that missed 3 games in three season, "injury prone."

Chan93lx50
04-09-2005, 05:11 PM
2006? hmmm lets see..

Shields....maybe
Roaf......maybe

Unless I am missing something, don't we have to sign Kevin Johnson before we can include him in our offense for 2006, lol

TRR
04-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Unless I am missing something, don't we have to sign Kevin Johnson before we can include him in our offense for 2006, lol

That would definitely be a plus. I've been waiting for that signing for a couple of days now. I'm ready for it any time.

I am considering myself the driver of the KJ bandwagon.

Chan93lx50
04-09-2005, 05:15 PM
That would definitely be a plus. I've been waiting for that signing for a couple of days now. I'm ready for it any time.

I am considering myself the driver of the KJ bandwagon.

Yep I am on that wagon too! I think I was on it the firsttime when we were trying to pick him up from the browns

Bye bye Morton Hello Johnson Kevin, Johnson

TRR
04-09-2005, 05:18 PM
Yep I am on that wagon too! I think I was on it the firsttime when we were trying to pick him up from the browns

Bye bye Morton Hello Johnson Kevin, Johnson

I've been a fan of KJ since he and McNabb played at the Cuse' together. I hate to admit this, but KJ reminds me a lot of Andre Rison (on the field)...kind of that slithery type wideout that can turn that slant pattern into a 75 yard TD.

Did he sign yet? I'm still waiting.

Cochise
04-09-2005, 05:19 PM
and how good is our run defense gonna be with 260+lb defensive ends on both sides?

They're obviously undersized just as R-Kal was, but I would think some bigger bodies would rotate in for run situations.

C-Mac
04-09-2005, 05:22 PM

Thats why I put "probably", other wise he would have been in the first group if he was signed.

milkman
04-09-2005, 07:38 PM
It would be nice if Allen is able to put on about 10-15 pounds this offseason, without losing any speed or quickness.

Hall will just be a 2nd stringer.

But we need a big strong DE to replace Hicks.

Gaz
04-10-2005, 07:49 AM
Looks like some serious upside potential without too much downside.

What’s not to like?

xoxo~
Gaz
Always ready for some CRUSHED pencil-necks.

htismaqe
04-10-2005, 08:07 AM
Looks like some serious upside potential without too much downside.

What’s not to like?

xoxo~
Gaz
Always ready for some CRUSHED pencil-necks.

What's not to like?

How about the fact that we brought in competition for the one guy who came closest to having his job secured last season while we ONCE AGAIN give Eric Shits a free pass?

Gaz
04-10-2005, 08:13 AM
I do not understand the Chiefs unbreakable affection for Hicks. It is a mystery.

But, what is the harm of competition for Allen? We know Allen’s pass-rushing ability. If Hall is better, then that means more CRUSHING and that is always a Good Thing.

The worst that can happen is that Allen plays really well and relegates Hall to a back-up role. In that case, we spent a 5th Round pick for a player who can contribute this season. That is a pretty darn good “worst-case scenario.”

xoxo~
Gaz
Not sure what it would take to oust Hicks.

whoman69
04-10-2005, 11:14 AM
If Hall is a backup, then he will have to get used to being on both sides. That means he takes playing time from Eric Hicks as well. The problem is that Hicks is the only lineman that gets a passable, if only barely, grade in run D and pass rush.

Thig Lyfe
04-10-2005, 11:25 AM
I do not understand the Chiefs unbreakable affection for Hicks. It is a mystery.

But, what is the harm of competition for Allen? We know Allen’s pass-rushing ability. If Hall is better, then that means more CRUSHING and that is always a Good Thing.

The worst that can happen is that Allen plays really well and relegates Hall to a back-up role. In that case, we spent a 5th Round pick for a player who can contribute this season. That is a pretty darn good “worst-case scenario.”

xoxo~
Gaz
Not sure what it would take to oust Hicks.

Carl Peterson and the Chiefs organization are about as understadable as a drunk with a thick Cockney accent.