PDA

View Full Version : In Gun we trust

Frankie
04-09-2005, 03:44 PM
I think Gunther will make at least one good linbacker out of Keyron Fox or Kawika Mitchell. Fuji stands to get a lot better under Gun as well. So our overall LB situation is not as grim as some here say. That said, I think we should sign Simmons too.

Thoughts?

Mr. Flopnuts
04-09-2005, 03:45 PM
We should sign Simmons yesterday.

Tribal Warfare
04-09-2005, 04:07 PM
draft Derrick Johnson

booger
04-09-2005, 04:21 PM
It's a damn mess IMO.

CoMoChief
04-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Sign Sharper, draft Johnson, trade for Surtain.

Calcountry
04-09-2005, 04:49 PM
Sign Sharper, draft Johnson, trade for Surtain.All to Defense, we surrender all.

Gaz
04-10-2005, 08:03 AM
I do believe that Gunther can get the most out of our Linebackers. That is where his strength lies, IMO. In the attacking arena. If course, the off-season acquisition of Bell and the loss of Beisel has pretty much reset the learning curve for our LB corps. We are effectively starting from zero, particularly with the news that Fujita is undergoing surgery. Back to zero.

And I wonder if Gunther is capable of tweaking his Defense to fit the players and the NFL rules that handcuff CBs? I read all the time that Guntherís scheme requires CBs who can plan man coverage. That ainít gonna fly in the modern NFL. Is Gunther a guy to analyze, recognize and revise?

xoxo~
Gaz
Has some concerns.

whoman69
04-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Sign Sharper, draft Johnson, trade for Surtain.
Salary cap?

Mr. Laz
04-10-2005, 12:29 PM
Salary cap?

the salary cap is a state of mind ... the chiefs can sign sharper,trade for surtain, draft Johnson and still be under the salary cap.

Chiefaholic
04-10-2005, 12:47 PM
the salary cap is a state of mind ... the chiefs can sign sharper,trade for surtain, draft Johnson and still be under the salary cap.

Exactly my approach toward the salary cap. I've seen too many times in the past in which a team is waaaaaay over the cap, and yet picks up more quality FA's than the Chiefs. Our offense is getting old and have 2-3 playmakers nearing retirement any day. We need to sign these guys to contacts with two tier signing bonuses and minimal salaries their first couple of seasons. Play now...Pay later

Two to three years of mediocracy is MORE than worth one Superbowl win, IMO...

Woodrow Call
04-10-2005, 12:54 PM
I am alone on the Kawika bandwagon and rightfully so. I think that a potential move to the outside and being in year 2 under Gun he will be the most improved player on defense next year.

Someone may have brainwashed me but I was excited with the way Kawika finished the year. He seemed to be playing a lot better and making plays. I think it was starting to click for him.

Mr. Laz
04-10-2005, 12:57 PM
I am alone on the Kawika bandwagon and rightfully so. I think that a potential move to the outside and being in year 2 under Gun he will be the most improved player on defense next year.

Someone may have brainwashed me but I was excited with the way Kawika finished the year. He seemed to be playing a lot better and making plays. I think it was starting to click for him.

http://www.dailynexus.com/story_images/2003-05-07/c-brainwash.jpg

DTLB58
04-10-2005, 04:08 PM
I think Gunther will make at least one good linbacker out of Keyron Fox or Kawika Mitchell. Fuji stands to get a lot better under Gun as well. So our overall LB situation is not as grim as some here say. That said, I think we should sign Simmons too.

Thoughts?

If last year didn't prove to you Gun can't do squat without talent just wait, if we don't get Surtain and do something normal in the draft like Carl always does and draft a WR in the 1st. I'll ask you how much you trust Gun and the end of next season.

If Gun is the answer why didn't Wesley,Wood,Bartee and Battle plus the afeorementioned LB's perform last year?

This thread is a year late.

Frankie
04-11-2005, 08:58 AM

Me Too.

Frankie
04-11-2005, 09:07 AM
If Gun is the answer why didn't Wesley,Wood,Bartee and Battle plus the afeorementioned LB's perform last year?

You underestimate GRob's ridiculous scheme that they need to be conditioned out of. Wesley and Woods defenitely underachieved. The many possibilities of why that was requires substantially more posts than this one. Battle and Bartee are square pegs that the Chiefs are adamant in fitting in round holes. But this thread is about LBs, anyway. Fox is a work in progress and Mitchel IMO showed marked improvement by the end of last season.

InChiefsHell
04-11-2005, 09:30 AM
Personally, I've always like Kawika, as far as potential. He got thrown into a situation in his Rookie season, then switched systems in his next season. All this for a dude that was really not "starter worthy" for a couple of seasons. He is athletic and built like a linebacker, he may just need a Gun to fix what ails him in the brain department (like, how to tackle the guy with the ball, not his blocker...) But this season is his last chance IMO. Hopefully year 2 under Gun, mixed with Bell as a mentor will turn Kawika into a decent player.

ChiefsCountry
04-11-2005, 10:17 AM
I think a linebacking core of Bell, Johnson, and Fujitia would be very good. Mitchell, Fox, and either a Rookie LB or resign Caver would be fine backups and special team players.

Idahored
04-11-2005, 10:35 AM
If last year didn't prove to you Gun can't do squat without talent just wait, if we don't get Surtain and do something normal in the draft like Carl always does and draft a WR in the 1st. I'll ask you how much you trust Gun and the end of next season.

I believe that you are forgetting that Gun said last year that it takes two to three years for a LB to learn to play his system. Time and added talent will turn this defense around. I just hope it happens in year two and not year three.

Coogs
04-11-2005, 10:43 AM
I am alone on the Kawika bandwagon

No you are not. I liked the progress Kawika made last season. I also think Fox is going to be a player. Most players don't come out of the draft and start/star right away.

But that blows holes in our "everyone we draft is a bust" mentality we have around here.

Frankie
04-11-2005, 11:00 AM
No you are not. I liked the progress Kawika made last season. I also think Fox is going to be a player. Most players don't come out of the draft and start/star right away.

But that blows holes in our "everyone we draft is a bust" mentality we have around here.

Yep.

LJ was an absolute "bust" and a "wasted draft choice" until becoming a hero of this forum overnight in the middle of last season!

whoman69
04-11-2005, 11:05 AM
Yep.

LJ was an absolute "bust" and a "wasted draft choice" until becoming a hero of this forum overnight in the middle of last season!
Don't tell Vlad.

CoMoChief
04-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Exactly my approach toward the salary cap. I've seen too many times in the past in which a team is waaaaaay over the cap, and yet picks up more quality FA's than the Chiefs. Our offense is getting old and have 2-3 playmakers nearing retirement any day. We need to sign these guys to contacts with two tier signing bonuses and minimal salaries their first couple of seasons. Play now...Pay later

Two to three years of mediocracy is MORE than worth one Superbowl win, IMO...

Noting the last sentence you had typed, I think A Superbowl is a lot better than a whole bunch of mediocracy seaons. The Chiefs have been just average for almost the past decade. We havent been to a Superbowl in over 35 years. I think were due for one soon. Everyones goal in the NFL is to at least make the Superbowl, in reality everyone wants to win it. It's not like were gonna be terrible on offense in a couple of years. W'ell probably sign a veteran QB to replace Green. We got LJ, Samie Parker, TonyG will be around for quite some time, our o-line coaches are good at developing young lineman, well still have Kris Wilson whos gonna be a stud. Vermiel will be gone most likely, but Al Saunders will more than likely be the successor so the "Air Coryell" offense will still be intact. We need to make a HUGE run soon if not this year. The Chiefs will be fine after some vets go, because our defense will be alot better by then.

philfree
04-11-2005, 12:25 PM

I'm there too. He was our leading tackler over the last half of the season after he was back starting at MLB. Obviously of we were really trying to sign both Bell and Hartwell then Mitchell wasn't in the plans at MLB as a starter. None the less I expect a good tranning camp for Mitchell.

PhilFree:arrow:

crossbow
04-11-2005, 01:28 PM

I honestly saw improvement of the defense last year until Peyton Manning carved 'em up in the second half of that Indy game. If you remember, the Chiefs held that team to 10 points at half time and then the PI flags started coming down like a hail storm. It realy looked to me like the defense lost its confidence and never recovered. I expect to see improvement again this year, only this time it should stick.

Frankie
04-11-2005, 02:31 PM
I honestly saw improvement of the defense last year until Peyton Manning carved 'em up in the second half of that Indy game. If you remember, the Chiefs held that team to 10 points at half time and then the PI flags started coming down like a hail storm. It realy looked to me like the defense lost its confidence and never recovered. I expect to see improvement again this year, only this time it should stick.

Refresh my memory. What part of the season was that game?