PDA

View Full Version : World Sport Stacking Championships

Rain Man
04-09-2005, 09:48 PM
The World Cup Stacking Championships were held here in Denver today. I've never heard of it, but they just showed the champion and the news and it was amazing. It looks like you're watching someone stack cups on fast forward.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/prep_girls_basketball/article/0,1299,DRMN_96_3684508,00.html

http://mas.scripps.com/DRMN/2005/04/08/431879155_d.jpg

Her cup runneth over with success
Fox has state titles, but skill at stacking is one for the books

By Paul Willis, Special To The News
April 8, 2005

Emily Fox is best known for stacking up points and assists.

But the two-time All-Colorado girls basketball player can stack cups, too. So well, in fact, that she holds a world record in the craft.

Advertisement

Both of her signature skills will be on display Saturday as she attempts to break her Guinness Book of World Records mark during the World Sport Stacking Championships at the Denver Coliseum (12:30 p.m.), then hustles to the Pepsi Center, where she will compete in The Show V All-Star basketball game.

While her on-court achievements have been well-documented - as the ThunderRidge Grizzlies' starting point guard, she helped guide them to three consecutive state championships and will play at the University of Minnesota next season - not many fully comprehend her talents with the cups.

Sport stacking - it used to be called cup stacking (and often still is) - consists of competitors stacking and unstacking specially designed cups in predetermined sequences. Watch Fox do it on film and it seems the video is on hyperspeed. In person, the cups seemingly flow in and out of her hands with ethereal precision.

"One of the first tournaments I was in was in the third grade, and I won," Fox said. "It kind of started from there."

Fox's father, Bob, was her physical education teacher in third grade, and cup stacking was an exercise he required each of his classes to attempt. The Western State graduate watched as his daughter became so proficient at the task that she began to reap worldwide attention. He began teaching the activity in 1995. Now thousands of Colorado kids - mostly between the ages of 6 and 17 - engage in the activity.

"It's been neat seeing kids from around the world catch on and have fun with it," said Emily's mother, Jill. "Bob's always dreamed big and thought big, but this has exceeded his expectations."

While some might consider it a stretch to consider basketball skills and cup-stacking excellence to be mutually beneficial, Emily Fox believes she owes a great deal of her basketball success to her work with the cups.

"I actually started playing basketball in the third grade, around the same time," Fox said. "I really noticed a difference with ball handling and ambidexterity. I really attribute a lot of my basketball skills to cup stacking. . . . I mean sport stacking."

When first honing the craft, Fox would practice hours a day for weeks on end. Now, she estimates she works on it about 30 days during the year, and the skills come back relatively naturally.

"It's like riding a bike," she said. "But to get back up to tournament speed, I have to brush up on my skills."

Fox will not compete in the events Saturday because of her commitment to The Show. As part of the opening ceremony, though, with Guinness on hand, she will try to break her 2002 world mark of 7.43 seconds in the cycle stack.

She knows she had better be in peak form considering the increased popularity of the activity has bred several sharp competitors from across the world who will be looking on anxiously. Contestants from 17 states and at least five countries will be on hand, including stackers from Canada, Japan, Germany, Australia and England.

Britain's top stacker, Kate Parker, is among the contenders.

Fox recently made an appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show to discuss the activity.

While basketball has taken a backseat for Fox since last month's 60-48 state championship game victory against Horizon, she still managed to make some hoops news this week. Often overshadowed by teammate Abby Waner, who was named the national player of the year by Gatorade and McDonald's, Fox received a plaque this week for being named a third-team Parade All- American.

"It's been fun to see her excel at both," Jill Fox said. "No pun intended, but the two have kind of gone hand-in-hand.

"It's just great to watch her do well at things she is so passionate about."

beer bacon
04-09-2005, 09:50 PM
If it was a REAL sport they would be stackiing couches or cows or something. They wouldn't be stacking cups.

jcl-kcfan2
04-10-2005, 06:53 AM
They teach this in P.E. in elementary schools now. The kids can't go out and get real exercise, they make them sit inside and stack cups.
It's P.E., let them play some type of sports...

trndobrd
04-10-2005, 07:58 AM
They teach this in P.E. in elementary schools now. The kids can't go out and get real exercise, they make them sit inside and stack cups.
It's P.E., let them play some type of sports...

What are these "sports" of which you speak? Do you refer to those archaic physical activities which involve the equally dreaded concepts of 'winning' and 'losing'. We'll stay safely inside and allow the children to all do their very best job of stacking cups.

....besides, it develops good hand-to-cup dexterity that is so useful in college drinking games.

the Talking Can
04-10-2005, 08:05 AM
Somebody actually organized this.

4th and Long
04-10-2005, 08:12 AM
I saw the video of this gal breaking the time record a year or two ago and man ... it was a blur. Any woman with hands that fast ... well ... there's some sexual connotation there but I'll be damned if I can think of anything snappy right now.

Demonpenz
04-10-2005, 10:19 AM
she can stack my sperm..... on her face

Valiant
04-10-2005, 12:11 PM
looks like the roids stunted her growth...