PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Fighter

Cannibal
04-09-2005, 11:39 PM
I was skeptical at first (as always), but the series kicked ass. Diego Sanchez is a badazz. I think he is talented enough to even beat and dominate light heavyweights.

The fight between Griffon and Bonner was just amazing. I like Griffon more, but I thought Bonner won that fight. He made mincemeat out of Griffon's face. What a fight.

Shamrock needs to retire. I was saying it before the fight started.

Simplex3
04-09-2005, 11:45 PM
They made the right move giving both light heavyweights a contract. They'll make more than the extra 100,000 contract just by putting those guys in the ring again on pay-per-view.

The middleweight fight was worthless. I said during the semi-finals it was a shame they didn't make Koscheck/Sanchez the finals because that fight determined the winner. Koscheck was the only middleweight that had a chance on the ground against Sanchez.

And yes, Shamrock needs to retire. Dude fell down twice in the ring. How embarrasing.

big nasty kcnut
04-09-2005, 11:49 PM
this was a good show but i still think that dude who got hurt could of gave diego a good fight. bonner/ griffen was a deathmatch. shamrock almost beat that guy with a leg lock i think too much water on the ring hurt shamrock ability to fight.

Cannibal
04-09-2005, 11:53 PM
They made the right move giving both light heavyweights a contract. They'll make more than the extra 100,000 contract just by putting those guys in the ring again on pay-per-view.

The middleweight fight was worthless. I said during the semi-finals it was a shame they didn't make Koscheck/Sanchez the finals because that fight determined the winner. Koscheck was the only middleweight that had a chance on the ground against Sanchez.

And yes, Shamrock needs to retire. Dude fell down twice in the ring. How embarrasing.

I can't stand Koscheck. Not only is his personality highly irritating, but so is his fighting style. Yeah, he's a very good grappler, but once he gets you down he just lays there. He needs to ground a pound, but I don't think he has the heart for it. How boring.

I totally agree on the Bonner/Griffon contracts. They both earned it. What a fight!

I've never never seen Franklin. I was extremely entertained by that guy as well. I was amazed to hear that he has a bachelors degree in mathematics and a masters degree in education.

Cannibal
04-09-2005, 11:55 PM
this was a good show but i still think that dude who got hurt could of gave diego a good fight. bonner/ griffen was a deathmatch. shamrock almost beat that guy with a leg lock i think too much water on the ring hurt shamrock ability to fight.

I just think Shamrock's too old. He even stated it after the fight. He's gonna hang em up.

Simplex3
04-10-2005, 12:03 AM
I can't stand Koscheck. Not only is his personality highly irritating, but so is his fighting style. Yeah, he's a very good grappler, but once he gets you down he just lays there. He needs to ground a pound, but I don't think he has the heart for it. How boring.
Yeah, he's pretty green. However, he was the only one that stood a CHANCE against Sanchez. Sanchez is just too good at submissions for anyone that isn't one heck of a wrestler.

I think Sanchez would have wasted Leben. Leben has the balls and the heart, but he doesn't have the brains. He got beat twice because as soon as he gets tired he gets stupid. He'll look good against bad-mediocre competition but he gets exposed against pros.

Cannibal
04-10-2005, 12:05 AM
Yeah, he's pretty green. However, he was the only one that stood a CHANCE against Sanchez. Sanchez is just too good at submissions for anyone that isn't one heck of a wrestler.

I think Sanchez would have wasted Leben. Leben has the balls and the heart, but he doesn't have the brains. He got beat twice because as soon as he gets tired he gets stupid. He'll look good against bad-mediocre competition but he gets exposed against pros.

I really liked Leben. I wish he would've kicked the shite out of Koscheck.

But you're correct. He wasn't a very smart fighter.

BIG_DADDY
04-10-2005, 12:09 AM
As much as I still believe Southworth would have won the whole thing had they not robbed him of the fight against Bonnar I have to admit I was very impressed with him against Griffin. Very close fight, could have gone either way. I hope his first fight is a rematch against Bobby, that would be fun to watch.

As far as the match next week goes I hope Randy wins and retires. I can't believe he is still out doing this at the level he is.

Simplex3
04-10-2005, 12:10 AM
I really liked Leben. I wish he would've kicked the shite out of Koscheck.

But you're correct. He wasn't a very smart fighter.
The upside is that Leben can become more disciplined and Koscheck can learn to punch and throw knees when he gets guys down. Give them both a year or two and I think you'll see them back and better.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Sanchez holding the belt by then.

BIG_DADDY
04-10-2005, 12:32 AM

I don't like Leben like most but I would have rather seen that fight, Florian just isn't strong enough.

Simplex3
04-10-2005, 12:41 AM
I don't like Leben like most but I would have rather seen that fight, Florian just isn't strong enough.
The only reason Florian got there was because he laid low long enough and then Leben gave up his face to Florian's elbow in their fight. Sanchez would have submitted Leben in the first round, though.

Rudy lost the toss
04-10-2005, 12:45 AM
As much as I still believe Southworth would have won the whole thing had they not robbed him of the fight against Bonnar I have to admit I was very impressed with him against Griffin. Very close fight, could have gone either way. I hope his first fight is a rematch against Bobby, that would be fun to watch.

As far as the match next week goes I hope Randy wins and retires. I can't believe he is still out doing this at the level he is.

The Funny thing is that Southworth lost to Sam in the untelevised undercard fight ROFL . He lost in a decision so I guess it could have been another bad call. here are the results
http://www.mmafighting.com/results/ufc/tuf_finale.html

BIG_DADDY
04-10-2005, 12:57 AM
The Funny thing is that Southworth lost to Sam in the untelevised undercard fight ROFL . He lost in a decision so I guess it could have been another bad call. here are the results

I know they fought that's why I said Bobby was robbed. I guess I should have said if it would have sounded better. We have already fully discussed the other fight here before.

Simplex3
04-10-2005, 12:57 AM
Man, they just almost couldn't have made those fights any more lopsided except for Hoger v Southworth.

Schoenauer KO'd at 20s in round 1. That's got to be embarrasing.

BIG_DADDY
04-10-2005, 01:00 AM
Man, they just almost couldn't have made those fights any more lopsided except for Hoger v Southworth.

Schoenauer KO'd at 20s in round 1. That's got to be embarrasing.

I will take Bobby against either of those guys if they set it up. I'll bet I get good odds too.

Simplex3
04-10-2005, 01:22 AM
I will take Bobby against either of those guys if they set it up. I'll bet I get good odds too.
Bobby just didn't look like he had his heart in it for the show. I don't know the dude personally, but it just didn't seem like he was 100% dedicated to winning that thing.

Rudy lost the toss
04-10-2005, 01:34 AM
the people I think have a future in UFC along with Diego, Forrest, and Stephan.
Leben - He's good
Koscheck- Great wrestler needs more training in MMA
Florian- If he drops to welterweight
Swick- if he drops to middleweight
Southworth- If he wants it enough
Quarry- I actually have no idea how good he is. I've heard he is a pretty good fighter and he won his undercard bout (too bad he didn't fight leben or koscheck). Wish he would not have gotten injured.

BIG_DADDY
04-10-2005, 01:41 AM
Bobby just didn't look like he had his heart in it for the show. I don't know the dude personally, but it just didn't seem like he was 100% dedicated to winning that thing.

Conditioning is an issue with him. He still beat Bonnar. Imagine what he would do if he was in a little better shape.

dropKickMurphy
04-11-2005, 07:43 AM
Diego impressed the hell out of me. This guy could be a superstar in the making.

I was hoping that that Ken Flo would have a better showing. He sometimes works at the fight gym that my son trains at. I've seen him fight a couple of times, and I can tell you he has amazing BJJ skills. Fighting out of his natural weight class, he was just overpowered by Diego.

Griffen/Bonnar...WOW. That was right up there with Hagler/Hearns and the 3 Gatti/Ward fights. Halfway through the fight, I said to my son "Watch, when this is over they'll announce that both guys have earned a contract. I bet they announce a rematch for UFC 53."

The Franklin/Shamrock fight went pretty much as I expected. Franklin was one of the more underrated guys in UFC. He's had some really impressive knockouts, but for some reason people didn't seem to be talking about him too much. You could tell as soon as the fight started that he was just way too quick for Shamrock.

How many times did the announcers say "This is the best Ken Shamrock ever...This Ken Shamrock would beat the Ken Shamrock of 10 years ago." Not a freakin' chance.

Iowanian
04-11-2005, 09:07 AM
Except it was Ken Shamrock.

He was seconds from having that ankle lock tight....and we'd have never known the possibilities.

Ifs n Butts.

dropKickMurphy
04-11-2005, 10:10 AM
Except it was Ken Shamrock.

He was seconds from having that ankle lock tight....and we'd have never known the possibilities.

Ifs n Butts.

Jeez, I can't believe I typed "Frank"...must be because I had just typed "Franklin". It sux to be getting old.

I think the Ken Shamrock of 10 years ago would have gotten that ankle lock.

Dallas Chief
04-11-2005, 10:26 AM
I could hardly breath during the Griffin/Bonnar deathmatch. That was unbelievable. I have seen most of the PPV events, Pride and UFC, and that one is in my top five. I think Bonnar won, but not by much. I'm with Big Daddy hoping that Couture wins and retires. What an athlete!