PDA

View Full Version : What are your three favorite songs by The Eagles?

Rain Man
04-10-2005, 02:56 PM
I'm listening to their Greatest Hits album, which begs the inevitable poll.

Rain Man
04-10-2005, 03:04 PM
I think their most famous song isn't in their top three, and maybe not even their top five.

I picked:

Seven Bridges Road - I'm a sucker for a capella (sp?) and acoustics.

Take It Easy - Classic song. Everyone knows it when they hear it.

Peaceful Easy Feeling - See above. Great song.

I accidentally voted for Midnight Flyer instead of Peaceful Easy Feeling, but Midnight Flyer is a great song, too. It has a nice feel to it. And it's a crime to not list Life in the Fast Lane among the top five, too.

penchief
04-10-2005, 03:05 PM
I'm listening to their Greatest Hits album, which begs the inevitable poll.

1. Peaceful Easy Feeling

2. Take it Easy

3. Desperado

Oddly, I've always felt that Hotel California was greatly overrated.

siberian khatru
04-10-2005, 03:06 PM
Throw "I Can't Tell You Why" on that list.

For some reason, I love the organ in the background (can't remember if it's Walsh or Felder playing it).

mcan
04-10-2005, 03:13 PM
VERY difficult to answer. The Eagles are easily in my top three favorite bands of all time...

SO

#3: Victim of Love
Randy Meisner's vocal track is fantastic, and the doubled guitar riffs are beautiful. This is one track I'd love to remake into a big hit if I ever have a rock band.

#2: Doolin Dalton/Desperado reprise
Of course, Desperado is a great song, but few realize that the song is part of a trilogy within one of the better concept albums ever made. The final track of the album is beautiful, and actually made me cry the first time I heard it. I still get goosebumps every time I think about it or hear it.
The queen of diamonds let you down, she was just an empty fable. The queen of hearts, you say you've never met. You're twisted fate has found you out, and it's finally turned the tables. Stole your dreams and payed you with regrets. Desperado. (is there gonna be anything left is there gonna be?) You've sealed your fate up a long time ago. (Ain't it hard when you're all alone in the center ring) Now there's no time left to borrow. (Is there gonna be anything left?) Only stardust. Maybe tomarrow... Desperado...

#1: Saturday Night
OK, maybe my #1 and #2 would switch back and forth depending on the day. Anyway, I think the poetry in these lyrics is beautiful and Henley does an amazing job of making the vocals soar. The mandolin track is brilliantly laced into an original and surprising chord progression. I'm also a big fan of songs like these that have a sense of "nostalgia." (Skynyrd's "Tuesday's Gone" is another example). It's a quality that's tough to recreate. It also has a great bridge with a slight Russian fell to it. The harmonies are well arranged. It's really just a beautiful song.
What a tangled web we weave. Go 'round with circumstance. Someone show me how to tell. The dancer... From the dance.

BCD
04-10-2005, 03:13 PM
1. One Of These Nights
2. Lyin' Eyes
3. Hotel Cali

CosmicPal
04-10-2005, 03:15 PM
The Last Resort

Desperado

I Can't Tell You Why

mcan
04-10-2005, 03:17 PM
The Last Resort

Another great one that flies under the radar. I think this is Henley's favorite Eagles song, judging by the fact that it's not a big hit and they still did it live on the Hell Freezes Over MTV concert.

mcan
04-10-2005, 03:19 PM
Throw "I Can't Tell You Why" on that list.

For some reason, I love the organ in the background (can't remember if it's Walsh or Felder playing it).

On the album it's probably either Frey or a studio musician.

Live it's definately Glen Frey.

Saulbadguy
04-10-2005, 03:21 PM
Come on, man. I had a rough night and I hate the ****in' Eagles, man!

KCWolfman
04-10-2005, 03:24 PM
Saturday Night and Hollywood Waltz

The Eagles are the kings of 3/4 time

mcan
04-10-2005, 03:25 PM

Love the movie, but I wish they wouldn't have said that. Then again, "The Dude" isn't exactly a guy I WANT to relate to.

Saulbadguy
04-10-2005, 03:25 PM
Love the movie, but I wish they wouldn't have said that. Then again, "The Dude" isn't exactly a guy I WANT to relate to.
Oh come on..EVERYONE wants to be the DUDE.

mcan
04-10-2005, 03:26 PM
Saturday Night and Hollywood Waltz

The Eagles are the kings of 3/4 time

Old skool... Nice choice.

mcan
04-10-2005, 03:26 PM
Oh come on..EVERYONE wants to be the DUDE.

Not if it means hating the EAGLES!

Nzoner
04-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Already Gone

Those Shoes

And my favorite In The City,still remember sitting in the movie theatre watching The Warriors walking out to the beach after making their way back to Coney and that song closing the movie out.

Frazod
04-10-2005, 05:30 PM
Hard to narrow it down to three, since this is my favorite group.

But I went with Hotel California, Take It to the Limit and After the Thrill Is Gone.

Douche Baggins
04-10-2005, 05:34 PM
Not really an Eagles fan but I like Hotel California.

SCTrojan
04-10-2005, 05:34 PM
Sad Cafe

Please Come Home for Christmas

James Dean

Most anything from the Long Run since that was one of the first albums I can remember buying.

milkman
04-10-2005, 05:37 PM
I've never really cared for the Eagles, and in looking at the poll selections, I see only 2 songs that I cared for at all.

Desperado is my favorite, and I can handle listening to Tequilla Sunrise.

Skip Towne
04-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Love the Eagles. Especially Hotel Cali and Lyin Eyes.

FloridaChief
04-10-2005, 05:44 PM
1. In The City (Which until today I thought was a Joe Walsh solo song. Oh well, learn somethin' new...)

2. The Last Resort

3. Life In The Fast Lane

Nzoner
04-10-2005, 05:52 PM
1. In The City (Which until today I thought was a Joe Walsh solo song. Oh well, learn somethin' new...)

I thought the same thing as the ending credits for the movie The Warriors says Joe Walsh only,however,it's on my double disc greatest hits set by them and it was on the poll so I voted for it as well.

Rain Man
04-10-2005, 05:53 PM
I'm pleasantly surprised at the support for Seven Bridges Road. I love that song, and didn't know how well-known it was.

FloridaChief
04-10-2005, 06:02 PM
I thought the same thing as the ending credits for the movie The Warriors says Joe Walsh only,...

Exactly. But i just looked it up and it turns out the damned thing was released on The Long Run LP. Having never owned TLR, I never knew INC was an Eagles song.

jAZ
04-10-2005, 06:50 PM
As of right now, my 3 choices are the top 3 vote getters.

Desperado, Hotel California and 7 Bridges.

ChiefsCountry
04-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Desperado
Hotel California
Life in the Fast Lane

Also a big fan of Witchy Woman and Lying Eyes.

Jenson71
04-10-2005, 07:01 PM
Behind Blue Eyes!

go bowe
04-10-2005, 08:13 PM
Exactly. But i just looked it up and it turns out the damned thing was released on The Long Run LP. Having never owned TLR, I never knew INC was an Eagles song.i knew the eagles recorded it while joe was with them, but wasn't it joe's song?

i thought he had recorded it before (or at least seperately from) the eagles rendition of it...

but i could be wrong about that... http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/ups/sicdeth/headscratch.gif http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/ups/sicdeth/headscratch.gif http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/ups/sicdeth/headscratch.gif

DaKCMan AP
04-10-2005, 08:16 PM
Hotel California
Take It Easy
Seven Bridges Road

Honorable mention to Lyin' Eyes

FloridaChief
04-10-2005, 08:21 PM
i knew the eagles recorded it while joe was with them, but wasn't it joe's song?

i thought he had recorded it before (or at least seperately from) the eagles rendition of it...

but i could be wrong about that...

Now you've got me curious. Where's the Persident of the Eagles fan club at when you need him?

Nzoner
04-10-2005, 09:34 PM
i knew the eagles recorded it while joe was with them, but wasn't it joe's song?

but i could be wrong about that...

I did some checking but all I could find was that The Long Run and the movie The Warriors were both from 1979 which would lead one to believe that it must be an Eagles song,however,the IMDb gives credit to only Walsh as musician on the film for the song In The City as does the closing credits for the film itself.

So I'm still curious.

jAZ
04-10-2005, 09:39 PM
As of right now, my 3 choices are the top 3 vote getters.

Desperado, Hotel California and 7 Bridges.
Can I change Hotel California for Take It Easy?

I was wrong.

(there I said it)

Michael Michigan
04-10-2005, 09:39 PM
The Last Resort

Wasted Time

On the Border

Michael Michigan
04-10-2005, 09:40 PM
I was wrong.

(there I said it)

ROFL

Move this to DC.

;)

Demonpenz
04-10-2005, 09:41 PM
the eagles are no talent ass clowns

Nzoner
04-10-2005, 09:44 PM
the eagles are no talent ass clowns

Now you did it,frazod should be along any minute.

Mr. Christopher
04-10-2005, 09:52 PM
I got the Greatest Hits CDs, and I have to say that they are among my favorites in my collection :thumb:

FloridaChief
04-10-2005, 10:03 PM
I did some checking but all I could find was that The Long Run and the movie The Warriors were both from 1979 which would lead one to believe that it must be an Eagles song,however,the IMDb gives credit to only Walsh as musician on the film for the song In The City as does the closing credits for the film itself.

So I'm still curious.

In doing a little research myself, I found that Walsh recorded "In The City" solo for The Warriors soundtrack and later re-recorded it w/ the Eagles for The Long Run. I listened to a 30-second clip of the Long Run version on amazon and it sounds identical to what I remember the film version being like.

Mosbonian
04-10-2005, 10:06 PM

He's lucky I am in a charitable mood....you wouldn't have to wait for Frazod. :)

My three favorites are :

Hotel California

Lyin' Eyes

Last Resort

mmaddog

Nzoner
04-10-2005, 10:07 PM
In doing a little research myself, I found that Walsh recorded "In The City" solo for The Warriors soundtrack and later re-recorded it w/ the Eagles for The Long Run. I listened to a 30-second clip of the Long Run version on amazon and it sounds identical to what I remember the film version being like.

Well at least we know one thing for sure,it's a damn good song.

Demonpenz
04-10-2005, 10:07 PM

I know the eagles songs well but i don't know too much about them. The other day i heard a song on 99.7 where they dj said something about being overshadowed playing the guitar by the other players in the eagles, but on the solo album he really had some tough licks. Then they played the song and it really had some good licks

badgirl
04-10-2005, 10:10 PM
I really love Witchy Woman, I can dance good to that song by myself, you have to feel the music, but I'm good at that.
Then Hotel California
Peaceful Easy Feeling.

I like all their music, but these 3 are the top ones for me off the list :thumb:

Demonpenz
04-10-2005, 10:11 PM
when i hear witchy woman i think of that fuggin tim mgraw song

badgirl
04-10-2005, 10:12 PM
when i hear witchy woman i think of that fuggin tim mgraw song
Which one? I can't think of any song that reminds me of Witchy Woman?

Another song I like to dance alone to is Black Velvet, but I don't know who sings it.

Its another one of those feel the music songs.

Nzoner
04-10-2005, 10:16 PM
Another song I like to dance alone to is Black Velvet, but I don't know who sings it.

Its another one of those feel the music songs.

Alannah Myles

badgirl
04-10-2005, 10:20 PM
Alannah Myles
thank you :thumb:

mcan
04-10-2005, 11:48 PM
The solo version of "In The City" is pretty much the same. The only difference I can hear is that the organ is much more prevelent in Joe's solo version. The harmonies aren't quite as tight either, as they are sung by a couple of girls (kinda doo-wop style). It's pretty much the same arrangement though. The Eagles' harmonies are much tighter, and I don't remember the organ being as big a deal... "In The City" is still a staple of their live show though.

patteeu
04-11-2005, 06:25 AM
I voted for:

1) Life In The Fast Lane

2) Take It Easy

3) Seven Bridges Road (Peaceful Easy Feeling was close to being my 3rd choice)

But after reading this thread, I remembered that Victim of Love should have been my #1.

HemiEd
04-11-2005, 06:39 AM
Hardly any love for "The Long Run?" :hmmm:

ChiTown
04-11-2005, 07:20 AM
One of the best concerts I've ever been to was the "Hell Freezes Over" tour. I saw them at the World Theatre in Chicago (Tinley Park) back in ..................mid 1990's (can't remember exactly). I just remember I didn't want it to end. They played for well over 2 hours. Simply an amazing concert.

mcan
04-11-2005, 07:24 AM
One of the best concerts I've ever been to was the "Hell Freezes Over" tour. I saw them at the World Theatre in Chicago (Tinley Park) back in ..................mid 1990's (can't remember exactly). I just remember I didn't want it to end. They played for well over 2 hours. Simply an amazing concert.

I saw that tour. Actually I believe it was the year after the initial tour because Don Henley got sick and they had to make up the KC date. I think it was April 30th, 1995. Anyway, they must have felt bad for making us wait a year because they litterally played everything. It was freezing cold, but that concert was amazing. I'm pretty sure they played three sets and an encore set that was probably 5 songs long.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-11-2005, 07:31 AM
I'm appalled that "I Can't Tell You Why" isn't on the poll. That and "Lyin' Eyes" are really the only Eagles songs I like that well.

I don't think there's been many songs more over-played and over-rated than "Hotel California." Just shoot me if I have to hear it again..... same with "Desperado."

dirk digler
04-11-2005, 07:34 AM
Desperado is one of my all time favorite songs.

I would rank them in this order:

1. Desperado
2. Take it Easy
3. Peaceful Easy Feeling

ChiTown
04-11-2005, 07:39 AM
I'm appalled that "I Can't Tell You Why" isn't on the poll. That and "Lyin' Eyes" are really the only Eagles songs I like that well.

I don't think there's been many songs more over-played and over-rated than "Hotel California." Just shoot me if I have to hear it again..... same with "Desperado."

Great tune ("I Can't Tell You Why).

I dunno, it (Hotel California) never gets old for me. It's like a classic Stones or Beattles tune. You can never hear enough of a REALLY good thing.

cadmonkey
04-11-2005, 07:40 AM

Amen brotha!!!!!!!!!!! God Bless the Dude!!!!!

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-11-2005, 07:43 AM
Great tune ("I Can't Tell You Why).

I dunno, it (Hotel California) never gets old for me. It's like a classic Stones or Beattles tune. You can never hear enough of a REALLY good thing.
Yea...I know they're classics....they just never did anything for me. Btw....I can't stand the Stones either.......

:D

mcan
04-11-2005, 07:44 AM
Yea...I know they're classics....they just never did anything for me. Btw....I can't stand the Stones either.......

:shake:
Somebody with three names should shoot you dead.

Nzoner
04-11-2005, 07:56 AM

I was surprised not to see Already Gone on the poll.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-11-2005, 07:59 AM
I was surprised not to see Already Gone on the poll.
damn... you're right... WHO MADE THIS POLL???!!!!!!!

oh yea..........

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-11-2005, 08:00 AM
:shake:
Somebody with three names should shoot you dead.
oh well..... you probably don't like all the bands I like either....

seclark
04-11-2005, 08:10 AM
the last resort
sec

Frankie
04-11-2005, 08:12 AM
Hard to pick only three. But if I absolutely have to:

Desperado
Hotel California
Witchy Woman.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-11-2005, 08:19 AM
Hard to pick only three. But if I absolutely have to:

Desperado
Hotel California
Witchy Woman.
Those are easily the three I dislike the most...

:p

ah well....to each his own.....

:)

cadmonkey
04-11-2005, 08:22 AM

Yup, I don't really like a lot of the classic Bands. Led Zepplin bothers the sh*t out of me. There are only so many songs Plant can scream "BABY! BABY! BABY! BABY! BABY! OH YEAH BAAAAABBBBBBYYYYYYYYY!"

Rain Man
04-11-2005, 09:11 AM
I'm appalled that "I Can't Tell You Why" isn't on the poll.

It's not on their Greatest Hits album, therefore it's not worthy.

mcan
04-11-2005, 09:18 AM
It's not on their Greatest Hits album, therefore it's not worthy.

Actually, it's on the same greatest hits album as "Hotel California" "Seven Bridges Road," and several other songs on this poll. Greatest Hits Volume 2.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-11-2005, 09:53 AM
Actually, it's on the same greatest hits album as "Hotel California" "Seven Bridges Road," and several other songs on this poll. Greatest Hits Volume 2.
Yea Rain Man....what he said.........

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-11-2005, 09:54 AM
Yup, I don't really like a lot of the classic Bands. Led Zepplin bothers the sh*t out of me. There are only so many songs Plant can scream "BABY! BABY! BABY! BABY! BABY! OH YEAH BAAAAABBBBBBYYYYYYYYY!"
ROFL

Yup.

:thumb:

Rain Man
04-11-2005, 10:05 AM

Well, sure. Volume 2.

StcChief
04-11-2005, 11:01 AM
What about Album. Desperado

Rain Man
04-11-2005, 11:05 AM
Those are easily the three I dislike the most...

:p

ah well....to each his own.....

:)

Witchy Woman bugs me, too. I don't know why, but I just don't like that song a bit.

mcan
04-11-2005, 04:17 PM
Witchy Woman bugs me, too. I don't know why, but I just don't like that song a bit.

Funny, that was the first song that they played live as "The Eagles."

Rain Man
04-11-2005, 04:21 PM
I find it funny that "Heartache Tonight" has received no votes. I think that may be their second most-played song if you count the 8 zillion times it was played back when it was released.

Frazod
04-11-2005, 05:22 PM

Yeah, I should neg rep him back into the stone age, but I won't for two reasons.

1. Musical taste is completely subjective.
2. He's got enough problems being a total f#cking moron. :D

penchief
04-11-2005, 05:28 PM
Desperado is one of my all time favorite songs.

I would rank them in this order:

1. Desperado
2. Take it Easy
3. Peaceful Easy Feeling

Dang, Dirk. Your three are my three in reserve order.

Chief Chief
04-12-2005, 12:33 PM
There just ain't no love for Heartache Tonight...

mcan
04-12-2005, 01:30 PM
There just ain't no love for Heartache Tonight...

That one was co-written by Bob Seger. Good song, but hardly in their top three. Probably not even in my top 20. It's a cool hook, but that's about it. No killer harmonies or great guitar work. Just a 1-4-5 blues progression and power chords in G. Pretty typical rock song.

That said, when Glen yelled "This night is gonna last forever..." at the concert, I got chills.