PDA

View Full Version : What's your best sense?

Rain Man
04-10-2005, 04:39 PM
Relative to the average of the general population, what is your most acute sense?

You may be able to see, hear, smell, taste, or touch a poll coming.

Pants
04-10-2005, 04:40 PM
Hear.

Ari Chi3fs
04-10-2005, 04:43 PM
I have good innervisions.

4th and Long
04-10-2005, 04:43 PM
Let's see. I'm getting older and my hearing and sight aren't what they used to be. I smoke so we can rule out taste and smell.

Process of elimination says the smart money is on my sense of touch.

Rain Man
04-10-2005, 04:44 PM
I've worn glasses since the 3rd grade, so it's not sight.

I've been tested and have hearing loss at high frequencies, so it's not hearing.

My sense of smell comes and goes. Probably not smell.

I can certainly taste things, but I can't identify specific spices or anything. Maybe that's a memory thing instead of a taste thing. I don't know. I'm probably average.

I guess I'll go with touch. I'm pretty good at touching things. I don't know if I'm above average, though.

Skip Towne
04-10-2005, 04:46 PM
I have really good sense.

Baby Lee
04-10-2005, 04:59 PM
I can squint my way down to 20/30 vision. I was spotting raccoons on the road.

ROFL

seriously - I'd have to say vision. There's precious little I can't make out, near or far, dark or light, if I concentrate.

Count Zarth
04-10-2005, 05:02 PM
I can hear like a dog.

Woodrow Call
04-10-2005, 05:03 PM

ROFL

seriously - I'd have to say vision. There's precious little I can't make out, near or far, dark or light, if I concentrate.

Classic :clap:

Pants
04-10-2005, 05:03 PM

ROFL

That's awesome man, you should be thankful. I have to wear contacts and my vision sucks at night, but I'm not complaining - just thankful for the progress in technology.

stumppy
04-10-2005, 05:07 PM
Common

Phobia
04-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Common

Says the dude shacked up with dumbgranny.

4th and Long
04-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Ouch. ROFL

stumppy
04-10-2005, 05:16 PM

Need I say more.

EDIT: You should see what she looks like before you start casting stones.

Inspector
04-10-2005, 05:17 PM

Yep - a quarter is my best.

Jenny Gump
04-10-2005, 05:18 PM
Hearing. Then smell. Then touch. Then taste. Then sight.

4th and Long
04-10-2005, 05:19 PM
You should see what she looks like before you start casting stones.
Don't poke the bear. Put up some pics or shut yer yap.

*stone in hand* :p

Rain Man
04-10-2005, 05:20 PM
Is...is that a dime over there, baby lee?

Anyway...

I was thinking about senses the other day, and I think we overstate the differences between their mechanisms (e.g., seeing, tasting, etc.) and underestimate their differing effective ranges.

Short range to ultra-long range, but unidirectional: eyesight. You can use this to see stuff miles away.

Short range to long range, omnidirectional: smell. You can smell something like a forest fire a long way away, and it's passive for the most part.

Short range to medium range, omnidirectional but with some unidirectional capability: hearing.

Contact to very short range: touch. You can sense movement even if it's not touching you, but primarily it's for stuff that's making contact.

Literally inside you: taste.

The closer something gets, the more tools we have to detect it, and yet we've got an array of tools from long-range sweeps to omnidirectional passive detection. We're like little Aegis Cruisers in that respect.

stumppy
04-10-2005, 05:21 PM
Don't poke the bear. Put up some pics or shut yer yap.

*stone in hand* :p

You're not going to goad me into helping with your self pleasuring internet surfing.

chiefs4me
04-10-2005, 05:26 PM
In order
smell
touch
taste
hearing
sight

Frazod
04-10-2005, 05:38 PM
My sight is easily the best, which sucks because I think I need glasses. :spock:

Baby Lee
04-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Short range to ultra-long range, but unidirectional: eyesight. You can use this to see stuff miles away.
Miles? Really?? How many miles you figger them little points of light in the night sky are? 50? 60?

;) ROFL

4th and Long
04-10-2005, 05:51 PM
You're not going to goad me into helping with your self pleasuring internet surfing.
Well! What good are you then?

So much for helping a brother out!

YOU SHOULD BE BANNED!!!!

:p

Pants
04-10-2005, 05:51 PM
Miles? Really?? How many miles you figger them little points of light in the night sky are? 50? 60?

;) ROFL

[nerd vioce] Actually, you don't really see the stars, you see the light which traveled billions of light years [/nerd vioce]

P.S. I know you knew that, I just always wanted to use the nerd vioce.

Fairplay
04-10-2005, 05:52 PM
I can smell a pig from a mile away.............

Rain Man
04-10-2005, 05:55 PM

;) ROFL

Hey, they're miles away. Lots of miles.

Woodrow Call
04-10-2005, 05:56 PM
I can smell a pig from a mile away.............

Are you a cowboy?

Fairplay
04-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Are you a cowboy?

Baby...........

Woodrow Call
04-10-2005, 05:58 PM
Baby...........
ROFL

Baby Lee
04-10-2005, 05:58 PM
Are you a cowboy?
on a steel horse he rides.

Oops, that's not right.

milkman
04-10-2005, 06:02 PM
My sight is easily the best, which sucks because I think I need glasses. :spock:

I have no sense of smell or taste.
I have never been able to hear very well.

But I always had great eyesight, until a couple of years ago.

Now I have to wear freakin' reading glasses.

With all of this, It's pretty clear that my sixthe sense is my best sense.

And since I don't believe in the supernatural, I'm screwed! :cuss:

stumppy
04-10-2005, 06:04 PM

YOU SHOULD BE BANNED!!!!

:p

I noticed it took you awhile to respond. Am I correct in assuming you no longer need the pic ?:D

Phobia
04-10-2005, 06:06 PM
Need I say more.

EDIT: You should see what she looks like before you start casting stones.

Well, as long as you voted sight as your strong sense and hearing as your weakest....

badgirl
04-10-2005, 06:22 PM
Hey Phob nlm

Frazod
04-10-2005, 06:35 PM
I have no sense of smell or taste.
I have never been able to hear very well.

But I always had great eyesight, until a couple of years ago.

Now I have to wear freakin' reading glasses.

With all of this, It's pretty clear that my sixthe sense is my best sense.

And since I don't believe in the supernatural, I'm screwed! :cuss:

My hearing sucks. Too much loud music for way too long.

Taste and smell are tainted by 20 years of smoking.

Touch is okay, I guess.

At one point, I naturally had 20/10 vision in my right eye, which evened out to 20/20 overall because of my 20/40 left eye. But the last time I had my eyes checked was '94 or '95, and I've spent years staring at computer screens, both at work and at home, since then, and that shit has definitely taken its toll. I can tell my vision isn't as good as it used to be. That really hit home the last time I went to the shooting range. I was not pleased with my marksmanship (I still hit the target, but the way I used to).

I really need to get my eyes checked.

Damned old age :cuss:

milkman
04-10-2005, 06:37 PM
My hearing sucks. Too much loud music for way too long.

Taste and smell are tainted by 20 years of smoking.

Touch is okay, I guess.

At one point, I naturally had 20/10 vision in my right eye, which evened out to 20/20 overall because of my 20/40 left eye. But the last time I had my eyes checked was '94 or '95, and I've spent years staring at computer screens, both at work and at home, since then, and that shit has definitely taken its toll. I can tell my vision isn't as good as it used to be. That really hit home the last time I went to the shooting range. I was not pleased with my marksmanship (I still hit the target, but the way I used to).

I really need to get my eyes checked.

Damned old age :cuss:

It;s not old age, Fraz.

:whackit:

Frazod
04-10-2005, 06:41 PM
It;s not old age, Fraz.

:whackit:

Well, that too. ROFL

cdcox
04-10-2005, 07:44 PM
I've worn glasses since elementary school, but I used to have great close-up vision. Last couple years that has gotten consderabley worse. I now have to take my glasses off and get things at just the right focal length.

Hearing has faded a bit already too. I normally have to tilt my ears to make out what someone is saying if there is a lot of back ground noise.

I like good food and wine, so I'd say taste/smell.

badgirl
04-10-2005, 07:46 PM
My hearing is the best, then the sense of touch, then sight, then smell,uh, I forgot the other one. :banghead:
But thats the way mine goes. :thumb:
Then taste, I don't care much for eating anyway.

badgirl
04-10-2005, 09:43 PM
I've worn glasses since elementary school, but I used to have great close-up vision. Last couple years that has gotten consderabley worse. I now have to take my glasses off and get things at just the right focal length.

Hearing has faded a bit already too. I normally have to tilt my ears to make out what someone is saying if there is a lot of back ground noise.

I like good food and wine, so I'd say taste/smell.
my sight is getting a little bad, cause I almost failed the vision part of my driving test about 3 years ago. :shake:

Rausch
04-10-2005, 09:48 PM
I'll have to go with hearing since I've damned near gone blind from reading all these ****ing online-novels....

CosmicPal
04-10-2005, 09:55 PM
Sight....I can spot a dime in a blizzard.

My hearing is the worst- nearly deaf in my right ear from bacterial meningitis.

Demonpenz
04-10-2005, 10:00 PM
Frazod should have vision last. If his vision was good he wouldn't have bought that ugly car.

PastorMikH
04-10-2005, 11:47 PM
Eyesight is my best, even though it is only about 20/15 now. I am noticing a bit of a drop off from what it used to be. I used to be able to read the bottom line of the eye chart several feet behind the line where you are supposed to stand.

Hearing is the worst. Most likely due to too much shooting without ear protection and loud music as a teenager.

Ebolapox
04-11-2005, 05:00 PM
my sense of irony

-EB-

Pants
04-11-2005, 05:13 PM
my sense of irony

-EB-

Wow, that's ironic.

:shrug:

go bowe
04-11-2005, 06:12 PM
Let's see. I'm getting older and my hearing and sight aren't what they used to be. I smoke so we can rule out taste and smell.

Process of elimination says the smart money is on my sense of touch.ahhh, but what would katie say? :shrug:

go bowe
04-11-2005, 06:15 PM
Is...is that a dime over there, baby lee?

Anyway...

I was thinking about senses the other day, and I think we overstate the differences between their mechanisms (e.g., seeing, tasting, etc.) and underestimate their differing effective ranges.

Short range to long range, omnidirectional: smell. You can smell something like a forest fire a long way away, and it's passive for the most part.

Short range to medium range, omnidirectional but with some unidirectional capability: hearing.

Contact to very short range: touch. You can sense movement even if it's not touching you, but primarily it's for stuff that's making contact.

Literally inside you: taste.

The closer something gets, the more tools we have to detect it, and yet we've got an array of tools from long-range sweeps to omnidirectional passive detection. We're like little Aegis Cruisers in that respect.aegis cruiser, huh?

c'mon, fess up...

you're just a plain old cruiser...

you've been hanging out with dc again, haven't you?

go bowe
04-11-2005, 06:18 PM

YOU SHOULD BE BANNED!!!!

:p*marching and chanting*

banned...

banned...

they should all be banned... :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

*carrying lighted torches and bundles of branches to throw on the fire*

Calcountry
04-11-2005, 06:24 PM
My sense of touch is the most acute.

To the ladies, this includes my toungue. ;)

Rain Man
04-11-2005, 06:25 PM
aegis cruiser, huh?

c'mon, fess up...

you're just a plain old cruiser...

you've been hanging out with dc again, haven't you?

My friends back home used to call me Cruiser, because I like fast cars and fast women.

Frazod
04-11-2005, 06:25 PM
Frazod should have vision last. If his vision was good he wouldn't have bought that ugly car.

Oh, you're begging for icon neg rep, arent' you? :grr:

go bowe
04-11-2005, 06:29 PM
Oh, you're begging for icon neg rep, arent' you? :grr:ooh, ooh...

rep fight...

can i watch? :p :p :p