PDA

View Full Version : LandRover Vs. Jeep

chappy
04-10-2005, 11:07 PM
Pick one explain why

I'll start it off by saying Jeep cause my 87 Jeep with a 6 inch lift and 38 inch Micky Thompson Baja Claws has left many Rovers and H2 behind so i pick Jeep by experiance

|Zach|
04-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Used to have a Jeep Grand Cherokee Loredo.

Wasn't crazy about it.

chappy
04-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Which one is the Offroad King?

DenverChief
04-10-2005, 11:10 PM
I have owned 2 Jeeps...both Cherokee Laredos and I loved both of em...moreso now that I drive a pathfinder....I really appreciate the articulation those jeeps had that the pathy doesn't.....I can't say much about the LR I have never drove one

stumppy
04-10-2005, 11:14 PM
Jeep...just cause I was a service mngr at a Chrysler/Jeep dealership and got to drive every model any time I wanted. That and I've been told the LR's and RR's handle like pigs.

Pants
04-10-2005, 11:33 PM
I have no idea. But if I had to pick one to win an off road competition and my life depended on it, I'd pick a LR or a RR over a Jeep.

PastorMikH
04-10-2005, 11:42 PM
I'd take an old Landcruiser any day over either of the options given. Especially a late 70s or early 80s FJ-40.

Pants
04-10-2005, 11:43 PM
I'm sure an Army H1 would pretty much dominate anything civilian.

chappy
04-11-2005, 12:30 AM
I've gone thru a swamp that has stuck a H1

|Zach|
04-11-2005, 12:31 AM
I think Jeep's get DQ'd for their god awful bumper stickers.

|Zach|
04-11-2005, 12:32 AM
Somehow I knew this was coming. ROFL

Bring on the competing photos of certain trucks pulling other ones out of the mud.

Pants
04-11-2005, 12:35 AM

I thought the military usually utilizes the best equipment.

chappy
04-11-2005, 12:44 AM
the military has a dedicated ALL AROUND bad ass terrain vehicle
mine is a specialized swamp bogger Jeep with the clearance to do the occasional rock crawlin'
i've also seen tons of HUMdingers get stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Otter
04-11-2005, 06:10 AM
I have owned 2 Jeeps...both Cherokee Laredos and I loved both of em...moreso now that I drive a pathfinder....I really appreciate the articulation those jeeps had that the pathy doesn't.....I can't say much about the LR I have never drove one

As a long time driver of a Pathfinder who may be in the market for a vehicle (if my Pathfinder doesn't out live me) soon, may I please ask you to enunciate on this matter.

Braincase
04-11-2005, 06:17 AM
International Harvester Scout.

HemiEd
04-11-2005, 06:28 AM
If both performed the same, I would take the Jeep due to maintenance and parts availability. :hmmm: I personally Like our Durango, pretty handy sometimes.

Radar Chief
04-11-2005, 06:41 AM
Can anyone name for me a more off road capable, straight off the showroom floor vehicle than the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon or Unlimited Rubicon?
As far as I know, no other manufacturer offers selectable lockers in solid axles front and rear or a 4:1 low range heavy-duty transfer case.

Radar Chief
04-11-2005, 06:50 AM
I thought the military usually utilizes the best equipment.

Military Hummers are very good vehicles, loads of ground clearance and IIRC 38” tires. The main thing they fight against is there own size and weight. Hummers will sink straight to the bottom in mud that lighter vehicles like Jeeps, Suzuki Samurai’s and LC FJ’s will float right across. Also they just flat won’t fit into some of the tight twisty trails like the short wheelbase vehicles that I’ve already mentioned.
However, if you’ve got to get the hell out of a hostile area yesterday, the Hummer is your ride. They’ll literally fly over stuff that’d leave Jeeps, Samurai’s and LC’s broken down with bent axles, course they should since there built ‘bout like a Baja racer.

Radar Chief
04-11-2005, 06:55 AM
As a long time driver of a Pathfinder who may be in the market for a vehicle (if my Pathfinder doesn't out live me) soon, may I please ask you to enunciate on this matter.

IFS (Independent Front Suspension).
Makes it drive more like a car but can’t offer the same suspension articulation (suspension travel both up and down) or strength as a solid front axle offers.
That doesn’t mean it’s not a capable ‘froader, but a Cherokee with solid axles front and rear is a little more so.

Idahored
04-11-2005, 07:44 AM
I own an 89 jeep cherokee and a 2001 Grand Cherokee limited. Both have worn the vanity plate upnovr because both will go up and over anything that I have needed them too.

I'm not into the extreme 4 wheeling that CarlSignThemOrDie is into, but I do take my jeeps in places that the vast majority of suv owners wouldn't even dream of. That's because I bought them for what they were designed for.

Per the question in the thread, right off the showroom floor Landrovers are very hard to beat. They may actually exceed the jeeps slightly.

However, when all things are taken into account, off road ability, pavement handling, pulling power, upgrade ability and finally cost; the jeep is just hands down the best. It's not even close.

Idahored
04-11-2005, 07:47 AM
Makes it drive more like a car but can’t offer the same suspension articulation (suspension travel both up and down) or strength as a solid front axle offers.
That doesn’t mean it’s not a capable ‘froader, but a Cherokee with solid axles front and rear is a little more so.

You are exactly right. I am lusting over the new Grand Cherokee with the hemi, but the IFS is a big drawback in my opinion. I want one mainly for the pulling power and even with the IFS it would go most places that I want it too, however, it would concern me.

JimNasium
04-11-2005, 07:47 AM
I think Jeep's get DQ'd for their god awful bumper stickers.
You wouldn't understand. :shake:

Bwana
04-11-2005, 07:48 AM
I'd take an old Landcruiser any day over either of the options given. Especially a late 70s or early 80s FJ-40.

What Mike said and I have a Grand limited sitting in the garage right now. The Rover's are garbage unless you enjoy doing electrical work.

DenverChief
04-11-2005, 07:57 AM
:thumb:

Radar Chief
04-11-2005, 09:12 AM
Can anyone name for me a more off road capable, straight off the showroom floor vehicle than the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon or Unlimited Rubicon?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

gblowfish
04-11-2005, 09:23 AM
I too am a Jeep Guy. Bought a '93 here in Independence brand new, my first brand new vehicle. Put 150,000 on it, but it still looked in great shape when I sold it in 2002 and bought my current Jeep. Both were GC Laredos, both with the "straight six" engine, which is a workhorse. I LOVE snowy days, nothing stops this bad boy. Only bad part right now is the $45 it costs to fill up from empty. Ouch! Pics of he old 1993 and current 2002 Blowfish Mobile attached.

AustinChief
04-11-2005, 09:24 AM
As far as I know, no other manufacturer offers selectable lockers in solid axles front and rear or a 4:1 low range heavy-duty transfer case.

easy, Unimog

Radar Chief
04-11-2005, 09:36 AM
easy, Unimog

Oh, good one. But could you run through some of the specs for us? I’m familiar with how there “Portal” axles work but not so familiar with the rest of the vehicle.
Also, how many Average Joe’s have one? I could be wrong, but aren’t Unimogs more for industrial use? Do they sell a sport ute or pickup?

Braincase
04-11-2005, 09:40 AM
Here's a fun set of wheels...

jcl-kcfan2
04-11-2005, 10:05 AM
I have no idea. But if I had to pick one to win an off road competition and my life depended on it, I'd pick a LR or a RR over a Jeep.

RIP...

Demonpenz
04-11-2005, 10:42 AM
if this post is upside down please turn your screen over

Radar Chief
04-11-2005, 12:22 PM
if this post is upside down please turn your screen over

Sad thing is, I almost bought that sticker.

Dayze
04-11-2005, 08:35 PM
I've never driven a LR, RR.....so, take this for what it's worth.

I traded in our Cougar for my 02 Wrangler last March.....
All I can say is....the thing is awesome. I was never a "jeep guy", but I saw a good deal on it; it provided haulin' room for our dogs, etc.
I'm basically planning on keeping a LONG time. The thing seems to be built like a brick sh*thouse. I don't do a lot of heavy off roading, etc; but the 35" tires, 6cyl, torque, and 4X4....It's a blast to drive - fully functional AS ADVERTISED.

I'm assuming the rest of the Jeep line is much the same.

trndobrd
04-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Radar Chief brings up two issues, best stock 4x4 and best after a buildup.

Best 4x4, bar none: H1/HMMWV/M998 - What vehicle do you want to trust with your life to take you 400 miles over hardball, broken pavement, off road in 110+ temps and still be tough enough to keep going after getting damaged by small arms fire or shrapnel?

Civilian: Best stock 4x4? My 1979 Bronco. 1978-79 Broncos are based on the Old F-150 frame with solid axles, fully locking 4x4, and Dana transfer and come with better clearance than most.

Radar Chief
04-12-2005, 07:16 AM
Radar Chief brings up two issues, best stock 4x4 and best after a buildup.

Best 4x4, bar none: H1/HMMWV/M998 - What vehicle do you want to trust with your life to take you 400 miles over hardball, broken pavement, off road in 110+ temps and still be tough enough to keep going after getting damaged by small arms fire or shrapnel?

Civilian: Best stock 4x4? My 1979 Bronco. 1978-79 Broncos are based on the Old F-150 frame with solid axles, fully locking 4x4, and Dana transfer and come with better clearance than most.

Yea, it’s all in its use. For the military’s purpose the Hummer is unbeatable. Same with the Unimog Austin Chief mentioned, if you have a crew working in unfavorable terrain and need to haul men/equipment around, it’s the one to have.

But, in a civilian setting where any average Joe can buy one off the show room floor and drive it down the street, I don’t see anything better than a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. It’s already got most of the equipment an offroader is gonna add anyway.

A run through the good stuff has a heavy duty NP243 transfer case with factory slip yoke eliminator, 31 spline output shafts, and 4:1 low range gears. Dana 44 axles front and rear with 4:11 gears and selectable lockers, the rear is a limited slip until the driver flips a switch then it’s locked like a spool. The fronts an open differential until the operator does the same thing with the same result. Add the numbers up and it makes for a 65:1 crawl ratio.
And lets not forget the plethora of under body armor, it’s got skip plates on everything, or the 31X10.5 tires, a little small by ‘froader standards but big for a production vehicle.
All that adds up to a hard to beat offroading vehicle.

AustinChief
04-12-2005, 08:21 AM
Oh, good one. But could you run through some of the specs for us? I’m familiar with how there “Portal” axles work but not so familiar with the rest of the vehicle.
Also, how many Average Joe’s have one? I could be wrong, but aren’t Unimogs more for industrial use? Do they sell a sport ute or pickup?

It is primarily for Industrial/Military use.. but they will sell to anyone who wants one. The reason no one buys them is that they are ugly as sin.
http://www.unimogusa.com/graphics/picture1.jpg

The rear secion of the vehicle is modular .. the above pic is an example of a "exploratory" vehicle.

Here is a flatbed model with rollbars...
http://www.truckmodellsport.de/images/trialtru/unimog_1.jpg

JOhn
04-12-2005, 09:03 AM

I'll take a Toyota 4-Runner anyday over a Bronco, or any other civilian model for that matter. I ussually prefer Fords, but nothing beat a good 4-Runner. Mine was an 88 SR-5 V-6 which had several hundred thousand on it when we sold it, and last i knew it's still on the road or off road.

Not sure about some of the newer 4x4's but I do know I never was able to get mine stuck, and did a LOT of severe off road driving in the mountains. :thumb:

But then again, I'm sure we all have our favorites :hmmm:

Rain Man
04-12-2005, 09:16 AM
I saw one of those really old International Scouts on my way in to work this morning, and it had a bumper sticker on it that said, "Please! This is not a Jeep!"

jcroft
04-12-2005, 09:19 AM
I'd like to know how many people in this thread have ever driven a Land Rover before.

I know I haven't. This reminds me of Mac v.s PC threads in which 95% of people proclaim that PCs are the greatest without ever having owned a Mac.

JOhn
04-12-2005, 09:23 AM
I'd like to know how many people in this thread have ever driven a Land Rover before.

I know I haven't. This reminds me of Mac v.s PC threads in which 95% of people proclaim that PCs are the greatest without ever having owned a Mac.

Driven a LR a couple times, nothing impressive to me. Boss had one that I got to drive a few times, drive well on the highway, but didn't handle well ( at least to me ) off road, felt top heavy. :shrug:

Radar Chief
04-12-2005, 09:42 AM
I saw one of those really old International Scouts on my way in to work this morning, and it had a bumper sticker on it that said, "Please! This is not a Jeep!"

:LOL: I like the look of old International Scouts, that classic iron look. I like old Broncos for the same reason. Cool rigs.

JimNasium
04-12-2005, 09:42 AM
I've had my Wrangler for about 4 months now and am quite happy with it. I am a pretender though since I've never had it off-road. I also still don't understand the cultish behavior of the Jeep crowd.

Radar Chief
04-12-2005, 09:43 AM

It seems like Bwana had one. If the search function were working I’d go to an old “Jeep vs. Ricer” topic and dig up a picture of it. His was a cool look’n rig. :thumb:

Brock
04-12-2005, 09:44 AM
I test drove a new Wrangler the other day. Jeez, it was impressive.

Radar Chief
04-12-2005, 09:47 AM
I've had my Wrangler for about 4 months now and am quite happy with it. I am a pretender though since I've never had it off-road.

You’d be amazed at what even a stock Wrangler will do.

I also still don't understand the cultish behavior of the Jeep crowd.

Ya I know, I guess some people have to feel they belong to a group.
Personally, I have no brand loyalty, I’ll go with whatever works.

JimNasium
04-12-2005, 10:00 AM
Ya I know, I guess some people have to feel they belong to a group.
Personally, I have no brand loyalty, I’ll go with whatever works.
The salute is what drives me crazy. I'll wave if I think about it but some of the folks just take it to the extreme. I actually had a guy passing me on I-44 pace me until I waved at him a couple of weeks ago. I'm starting to worry that they'll put a hit out on me if I don't beging to cooperate. :)

JOhn
04-12-2005, 10:03 AM
It seems like Bwana had one. If the search function were working I’d go to an old “Jeep vs. Ricer” topic and dig up a picture of it. His was a cool look’n rig. :thumb:

Seems to me he was driving one when we hooked up for a few brews in Cooke City. :hmmm:

Radar Chief
04-12-2005, 10:19 AM
The salute is what drives me crazy. I'll wave if I think about it but some of the folks just take it to the extreme. I actually had a guy passing me on I-44 pace me until I waved at him a couple of weeks ago. I'm starting to worry that they'll put a hit out on me if I don't beging to cooperate. :)

Ah, the wave. See the guy with the lesser Jeep is supposed to initiate the wave.
I don’t worry ‘bout it cause the Corveep rates pretty high on the Cool scale, so I let others initiate the wave.

http://69.13.87.104/jeeprate.htm

Here’s how you find out how “cool” your Jeep is, like you needed that affirmation. :rolleyes:
Go to the linked site and answer the questions, it’ll then rate your jeep on a points scale. Last time I was bored enough to actually filled out the form, it seems the Corveep rated around 312.
Though, I’d consider following someone around waiting for them to initiate a wave overdoing it just a bit.

Bikers have the same kinda thing going, BTW, there just not nearly as anal about who starts waving first. However if you’re riding a Ricer and wave at a Harley rider, some will flip you off instead. :rolleyes:

JimNasium
04-12-2005, 10:25 AM
Ah, the wave. See the guy with the lesser Jeep is supposed to initiate the wave.
I don’t worry ‘bout it cause the Corveep rates pretty high on the Cool scale, so I let others initiate the wave.

http://69.13.87.104/jeeprate.htm

Here’s how you find out how “cool” your Jeep is, like you needed that affirmation. :rolleyes:
Go to the linked site and answer the questions, it’ll then rate your jeep on a points scale. Last time I was bored enough to actually filled out the form, it seems the Corveep rated around 312.
Though, I’d consider following someone around waiting for them to initiate a wave overdoing it just a bit.

Bikers have the same kinda thing going, BTW, there just not nearly as anal about who starts waving first. However if you’re riding a Ricer and wave at a Harley rider, some will flip you off instead. :rolleyes:
Well that explains a lot of things to me. I guess I am not kewl enough or perhaps the mods are right, I might just be gay. :shake:

Radar Chief
04-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Well that explains a lot of things to me. I guess I am not kewl enough or perhaps the mods are right, I might just be gay. :shake:

Oh come on, it’s actually comical they’ve gotta be that petty over it.
If I were into Jeep’n for what everyone else thought of me, I might be worried ‘bout it. Since I do it because I get a thrill out of it, anyone that concerned about whether I wave or not can pretty much fugg off.
That’s my opinion anyway.

JimNasium
04-12-2005, 10:32 AM
Oh come on, it’s actually comical they’ve gotta be that petty over it.
If I were into Jeep’n for what everyone else thought of me, I might be worried ‘bout it. Since I do it because I get a thrill out of it, anyone that concerned about whether I wave or not can pretty much fugg off.
That’s my opinion anyway.
I agree, I was attempting to be TIC but didn't pull it off. I'm not familiar with your rig. Tell me about it.

Radar Chief
04-12-2005, 12:44 PM
I agree, I was attempting to be TIC but didn't pull it off. I'm not familiar with your rig. Tell me about it.

Without getting into the boring details, the Corveep is a ’60 Willys CJ-5 with hopped up L-76 Corvette engine.

It gets me around. ;)