PDA

View Full Version : Rounds 1 & 2: What will it be?

Mr. Kotter
04-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Although Carl will likely disappoint us, what two positions will the Chief's target in the upcoming draft?

Poll will be forthcoming.

I'm thinking OLB then CB....which may include, trading down in the first to get value for someone like Crowder, Burnett, or Blackstock. In the second, I'm thinking Browner, Washington, or McFadden (unless Jackson somehow slips to them.) With Fujita's surgery and the LB situation in general, and the DEPTH of CB in this draft....I think this would be the way to go.

Thoughts??? :hmmm:

Mr. Kotter
04-11-2005, 10:27 AM
I'm also convinced, if we can't get first round DE talent...then don't reach for one in the second. We already have those on our roster. :shake:

Logical
04-11-2005, 10:28 AM
I went with the safe option, Carl will screw it up.

But I hope it is trading our 2nd for Surtain and picking up a CB at 15.

SCTrojan
04-11-2005, 10:29 AM
I voted CB then LB, although I wouldn't complain if they went LB then CB. Defense has to be addressed in the first two rounds.

Mr. Kotter
04-11-2005, 10:32 AM
I voted CB then LB, although I wouldn't complain if they went LB then CB. Defense has to be addressed in the first two rounds.

I've been spending some time looking at the depth at CB versus LB. It's really clear to me, this draft is really deep at CB.....and LB is really pretty thin. That's why I voted the way I did.

Now if only Derrick Johnson somehow slips to us at 15, that would make this decision REALLY easy. I'm not holdin' my breath though... :banghead:

Mr. Kotter
04-11-2005, 10:34 AM
I went with the safe option, Carl will screw it up.

But I hope it is trading our 2nd for Surtain and picking up a CB at 15.

If we don't get Surtain, should we go two CBs then? :hmmm:

Logical
04-11-2005, 10:41 AM
If we don't get Surtain, should we go two CBs then? :hmmm:

Depends on who is still available in the 2nd, not if it is a safety we have to convert to CB.

ChiefsOne
04-11-2005, 10:49 AM
Best player at position of CB or LB in the 1st, then get the other in the second.

Chiefnj
04-11-2005, 10:56 AM
If the Chiefs have a first and second round pick they should take the best available athlete (within reason - no HB, no FB, no TE).

SCTrojan
04-11-2005, 10:57 AM
Now if only Derrick Johnson somehow slips to us at 15, that would make this decision REALLY easy. I'm not holdin' my breath though... :banghead:

In one of the most incredible draft developments of all time, DJ will fall to the Chiefs without any draft-day machinations. Bet the house on it. :rolleyes:

Mr. Kotter
04-11-2005, 11:05 AM
In one of the most incredible draft developments of all time, DJ will fall to the Chiefs without any draft-day machinations. Bet the house on it. :rolleyes:

I know, I know.... :shrug:

Mr. Kotter
04-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Anyone know much about McFadden, the FSU CB? Some of the info seems inconsistent...but from what I saw, I liked him--a lot.

Rain Man
04-11-2005, 11:57 AM
As long as we get any two of the following three, I'll be happy: CB, OLB, DE.

Unless we get a FA CB, one of them has to be a CB, though. No negotiating. I wouldn't be upset if we got a good DE or OLB in the first round and then went CB in the second, though.

yoswif
04-11-2005, 12:30 PM
It looks like the Chiefs will get about the 5th or 6th defensive player off the board picking at 15. After Johnson, I don't think any LBs are in the top fifteen defensive players. The whole top 100 looks pretty thin at LB. I think this is a draft where the chances of finding a starting LB are as good on day 2 as they are at #15 overall.

Assuming Johnson isn't available, I'd like an explosive edge pass rusher in the Freeney mold to play opposite Allen and a natural, instinctive, experienced cover corner in the first two rounds. Use at least 3 second day picks on LBs.

patteeu
04-11-2005, 12:43 PM
BAA that isn't a FB, RB, or TE and with special consideration given to positions other than DT or S. You didn't offer that choice so I went with BAA.

eazyb81
04-11-2005, 12:58 PM
I think most of us agree that our two biggest needs are CB and OLB. Based on that, I would go with CB in the 1st and OLB in the 2nd unless DJ or Merriman happen to fall to us.

One problem I see with CB first and OLB second is that I don't see any of the good OLBs dropping to us in the 2nd round. DJ, Merriman, Blackstock, Ware, and Burnett all could be gone. Crowder might be there, but I see him as more of an MLB then an OLB.

ct
04-11-2005, 01:18 PM
Crowder definitely is a MLB, so scratch him off the list. I do think Blackstock or Ware will slip to mid-2nd, and completely agree that outside DJ, no OLB is worthy at 15. I would support moving down to p/up a 2nd or 3rd, then go OLB, and CB in the 2nd, but it's not my preference.

If we move down and get OLB later in the 1st, and p/up another 2nd, then I really would like KC to select DE Justin Tuck.

1st(20-25 range) OLB Blackstock
2nd(KC's pick) CB Browner/Jackson if he slips
2nd(via trade) DE Tuck

Tribal Warfare
04-11-2005, 01:21 PM
A trade up for Derrick Johnson, and pick up Surtain

eazyb81
04-11-2005, 01:22 PM
There is a chance that Blackstock or Ware could slip into round 2, but I have seen recent mocks that have them in the mid to late 1st. CP is in a tough situation, but that is why he gets the big bucks.

eazyb81
04-11-2005, 01:23 PM
A trade up for Derrick Johnson, and pick up Surtain

What would you trade to move up and take DJ? A 1st and 2nd? I think that is too much for one player this year, especially when he have other needs.

Tribal Warfare
04-11-2005, 01:27 PM
What would you trade to move up and take DJ? A 1st and 2nd? I think that is too much for one player this year, especially when he have other needs.

not this year. This has been the weakest draft in the past 4 years

this is a 2 round quality draft for this year.

I would definately go for DJ a hybrid of Jack Lambert and Jack Ham.

PhogPhanTim
04-11-2005, 01:32 PM
If the Chiefs cannot acquire Surtain, I think we absolutely must draft 2 CB's to start the draft.

Any chance Fabian Washington slides to our #2 choice?

Mr. Kotter
04-11-2005, 04:20 PM
Crowder definitely is a MLB, so scratch him off the list. I do think Blackstock or Ware will slip to mid-2nd, and completely agree that outside DJ, no OLB is worthy at 15. I would support moving down to p/up a 2nd or 3rd, then go OLB, and CB in the 2nd, but it's not my preference.

If we move down and get OLB later in the 1st, and p/up another 2nd, then I really would like KC to select DE Justin Tuck.

2nd(via trade) DE Tuck

That would be a good first day... :thumb:

ct
04-11-2005, 04:24 PM
That would be a good first day... :thumb:

And much more likely than trading up to get DJ.

If we do not trade down, this is my wish list.

1st - CB Rogers
2nd - OLB Blackstock(if available) or LB Ruud, maybe even OLB Beck.

CosmicPal
04-11-2005, 04:25 PM
2nd(via trade) DE Tuck

I'd be elated if this were to happen. I like all 4 of those guys, and it is possible, unlikely, but possible a scenario like this could happen.

ct
04-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Most likely though, we'd get a 3rd at best to move down 5 spots, maybe a 2nd if we move down 10+ spots.

eazyb81
04-11-2005, 04:30 PM
And much more likely than trading up to get DJ.

If we do not trade down, this is my wish list.

1st - CB Rogers
2nd - OLB Blackstock(if available) or LB Ruud, maybe even OLB Beck.

I really don't think Blackstock will be there in the 2nd. He has been moving up draft boards recently and I think his stock will be high come draft day. Ruud is a definite possibility, but I see him as more of a MLB then OLB, and I don't think we really need a MLB.

Mr. Kotter
04-11-2005, 04:32 PM
... DJ, Merriman, Blackstock, Ware, and Burnett all could be gone. Crowder might be there, but I see him as more of an MLB then an OLB.

Crowder will be gone--so it's not an issue probably, but Blackstock might still be there...but not likely. :hmmm:

CHIEF4EVER
04-11-2005, 05:18 PM
Round 1 : Best available Defensive player
Round 2 : See Round 1
Round 3 : See Round 2
Rounds 4-7: See all preceding Rounds.

go bowe
04-11-2005, 06:23 PM
Rounds 1 & 2: What will it be?

that's easy...

a tko in the second...

except it'll be us getting knocked out... :( :( :(

LiL stumppy
04-11-2005, 06:26 PM
It all depends,on if we get Surtain or not,or if we sign another LB.

go bowe
04-11-2005, 06:29 PM
gee, i wonder who voted for gaz and go bo? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ChiefsCountry
04-11-2005, 06:30 PM
LB and WR, if DJ falls to #15.
If we trade up to get DJ, 1 and 2 that fine with me

If we keep the pick and no DJ, CB and LB.

Mr. Kotter
04-11-2005, 07:59 PM
LB and WR, if DJ falls to #15.
If we trade up to get DJ, 1 and 2 that fine with me

If we keep the pick and no DJ, CB and LB.

Yeah, either way seems okay...IF we pick the right guys.... :banghead:

Mr. Kotter
04-11-2005, 10:18 PM
LB in the first has made a late move... :hmmm: