PDA

View Full Version : Gretz's new column is about the schedule.........

chiefqueen
04-11-2005, 12:01 PM
Somebody else can copy & paste it (I'm not good at that), it comes out Wed. Gretz said the Chiefs will probably play Turkey day only b/c Den. got to in 2001 & the Chiefs will play that G-man on a Sat. (PLEASE LET THAT BE ON CHRISTMAS OR NEW YEAR'S EVE).

The column did not address what the league is going to do on the last 2 Sundays of the season which are Christmas & New Year's. (When Christmas last fell on Sun. in 1994 most of the games were played on Sat.)

ChiefsCountry
04-11-2005, 12:12 PM
Sweet about the Thanksgiving thing. I called that last year.

AirForceChief
04-11-2005, 12:18 PM
Somebody else can copy & paste it...

Uhhhh, o.k.:

GRETZ: It's Schedule Time
Apr 11, 2005, 5:06:45 AM by Bob Gretz

This Wednesday, the NFL will release the entire schedule for the 2005 season, providing answers to the No. 2 question I hear most often from Chiefs fans, after “Did they sign a cornerback today?”

The annual release of the dates and times of the 16-game card is one of the most anticipated moments of a football fan’s year. Why the NFL has not turned this event into a television spectacular along the lines of the annual Draft is beyond me. If people by the millions will sit and watch the 32 teams dividing up the newest crop of college talent, at least that many would watch the schedule breakdown. Vacations, weddings, parties are planned around the dates of these games, and whether the team is at home, or on the road.

Well, the league has finally seen the light, and on Wednesday the schedule will be debuted on the NFL Network. Of course, you’ll find the Chiefs schedule right here on kcchiefs.com. It’s only a matter of time before we start seeing mock schedules done every year before the official release.

Of course, we already know the 13 opponents the Chiefs will face and where they will play. They will visit Denver, Oakland, San Diego, Buffalo, Dallas, Houston, Miami and the New York Giants. They will host Denver, Oakland, San Diego, Cincinnati, New England, the New York Jets, Philadelphia and Washington.

We also have an idea where the Chiefs will play come September, because of the Royals schedule. The first two NFL weekends find the Royals on the road, they are home on Sunday, September 25th and then they finish the baseball season on the road the first Sunday of October. This doesn’t guarantee the Chiefs will have three of their first four games at home, but the opportunity is there. In 2001 and 2003, they opened with back-to-back games at Arrowhead, so if the odd numbered pattern continues, the Chiefs could start with some home cooking.

If it was up to the coaching staff, they’d love to start the season against somebody other than an AFC West team. Division opponents spend a lot of time in the off-season studying the other teams in their zip code. When the opener comes against one of your neighbors that means practice plans can be tilted towards them as early as the off-season workouts.

There’s good news for the Chiefs, because we already know that Oakland will play in the NFL opener at New England and San Diego will host Dallas on the first weekend. That leaves only Denver, and the Chiefs opened their season last year against the Broncos; it’s unlikely the league will duplicate that assignment.

The Chiefs will have seven games against teams that qualified for the playoffs last year, including a pair of games against both the Broncos and Chargers and visits to Arrowhead from the Patriots, Jets and Eagles. It’s the second consecutive season that Kansas City has gotten visits from the two Super Bowl teams from the previous season.

Now that trip to Dallas screams one thing: Thanksgiving Day. For years, Lamar Hunt has campaigned that the Cowboys and Lions should not have the exclusive on the holiday. As a partial answer to that, the league gave the Chiefs back-to-back Turkey Day games in 1995 and 1996.

And this year, it’s time for Dallas to host an AFC team. The only other option is Denver, but the Cowboys and Broncos faced off on Turkey Day in 2001. It’s been 10 years since the Chiefs have spent Thanksgiving in Dallas, so don’t be surprised if the league keeps Lamar home for the holiday.

Will the Chiefs get a Monday night game? My prediction is yes, they’ll get at least one prime-time appearance on ABC this year, possibly against the Eagles at Arrowhead. I’ll also wager they’ll get a late-season Saturday game, maybe against the Giants in the Meadowlands.

I’ll stop here, because this is getting dangerously close to becoming a mock schedule. You’ll just have to wait until Wednesday.

The opinions offered in this column do not necessarily reflect those of the Kansas City Chiefs.

Braincase
04-11-2005, 12:29 PM
We allknow that right now Shanahan is bitching and moaning in Tag's eay to make sure the Bronco's play at KC one of those first two games, and also lobbying for Warfield's 4+ game suspension.

CosmicPal
04-11-2005, 12:37 PM
There’s good news for the Chiefs, because we already know that Oakland will play in the NFL opener at New England and San Diego will host Dallas on the first weekend.

That's BS. The SB winning team should NOT be opening at home. This is the sort of thing I was beetchin' about last year. NE opened at home even though they were in the SB, and KC had to visit Denver. KC should have been at home vs. Denver, and NE should have been on the road against Indy.

Now, they're pulling the same sh*t again. NE is getting another home opener when they should be getting the most difficult schedule. If the league is going to make things even by giving teams at .500 or below easier schedules, they also need to adhere to the fact the best teams have to play the most difficult schedules- and that means if you win the fuggen SB- you don't start at home two years in a row when the other AFC playoff teams are all on the road.

Thank you...just had to get that out of my system. I now return you to your regularly scheduled post.

beavis
04-11-2005, 01:39 PM
That's BS. The SB winning team should NOT be opening at home. This is the sort of thing I was beetchin' about last year. NE opened at home even though they were in the SB, and KC had to visit Denver. KC should have been at home vs. Denver, and NE should have been on the road against Indy.

Now, they're pulling the same sh*t again. NE is getting another home opener when they should be getting the most difficult schedule. If the league is going to make things even by giving teams at .500 or below easier schedules, they also need to adhere to the fact the best teams have to play the most difficult schedules- and that means if you win the fuggen SB- you don't start at home two years in a row when the other AFC playoff teams are all on the road.

Thank you...just had to get that out of my system. I now return you to your regularly scheduled post.
Ya know... everyone plays 8 home games and 8 road games. Who gives a shit when they are?

Not to mention, most of the schedule is predermined now (I think 14/16 games) so there isn't much "balancing" going on anymore.

whoman69
04-11-2005, 01:40 PM

Rant away, CosmicPal. You go get them. I always wondered for the years when the Raiders were still winning division championships how they always came back with an easier schedule than the Chiefs.

beavis
04-11-2005, 01:40 PM
Will the Chiefs get a Monday night game? My prediction is yes, they’ll get at least one prime-time appearance on ABC this year, possibly against the Eagles at Arrowhead. I’ll also wager they’ll get a late-season Saturday game, maybe against the Giants in the Meadowlands. The "genious" Gretz strikes again. We got about as much chance of getting a home Monday night game as San Francisco.

penguinz
04-11-2005, 01:41 PM
Exactly, wasn't 2003 the last season they 'balanced' the schedule based on the previous season?

C-Mac
04-11-2005, 01:43 PM

FWIW
I agree with you but I really think that Moss and the Raiders will win this game, kind of like Clinton Portis's opening day one game wonder.

penguinz
04-11-2005, 01:45 PM
Moss will not help any team be winners.

shaneo69
04-11-2005, 01:46 PM
Schedule comes out Wednesday, DV's excuses start Thursday.

CosmicPal
04-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Not to mention, most of the schedule is predermined now (I think 14/16 games) so there isn't much "balancing" going on anymore.

Yes, I'm aware that the schedules are predetermined: We play NFC West teams one year, NFC East teams the next year, etc., etc...That's not the point.

The point is the league does a good job of balancing the schedules to make football a very competetive league. But, I think they are too favorable on some teams and give other teams the wrath. One of them being the Chiefs. The Super Bowl winning team should NOT be opening at home. This is not pre-determined, beavis. New England already knows who they are playing, but when and where is an entirely different thing. If you don't believe me- look at what happened to our schedule last year and tell me we didn't get phucked.

Have to wonder if they guys doing the scheduling are still bitter about Lamar having a trophey named after him?

ChiefsCountry
04-11-2005, 02:09 PM
The "genious" Gretz strikes again. We got about as much chance of getting a home Monday night game as San Francisco.

I say we have a good chance. We put on a pretty good shows in our MNF games last season. Plus we got some superstars - Priest, Tony, Dante that the nation likes seeing. We have a good shot at getting a game.

buddha
04-11-2005, 02:26 PM
ChiefsCountry, I love your new sig lineup of KC defensive additions! I hope we find a way to get the final two.

Lzen
04-11-2005, 02:29 PM
The "genious" Gretz strikes again. We got about as much chance of getting a home Monday night game as San Francisco.

I disagree. I think we have a great shot at getting at least one Monday night game. I wouldn't be surprised if we got at least 2 MNFs. We have an explosive offense and offense sells. SF, on the other hand, sucks (especially on O ) and ABC probably doesn't want to air that. I doubt they'll be on MNF this year.

FourTwoOh
04-11-2005, 02:37 PM
The column did not address what the league is going to do on the last 2 Sundays of the season which are Christmas & New Year's. (When Christmas last fell on Sun. in 1994 most of the games were played on Sat.)

I don't think they "do" anything. We had the home game vs the Raiders on Christmas Day just last year.

Manila-Chief
04-12-2005, 12:18 AM
Did Gretz say anything in that article? We play 8 home games and 8 away games. So what?