PDA

View Full Version : In the market for a laptop.....need some help

eazyb81
04-11-2005, 03:28 PM
I need a laptop for my new job, but I don't really know what to look for. I am looking to spend between $800-1100, and I know that the type of processer and processer speed (GHz?) are important, but so is the hard drive and memory. Of these features, which are most important? Are there any other important features that I need to look for? Also, does the brand matter that much? This computer whiz guy that now works with me told me that Dell sucks, and homemade(?) computers are the best, and to avoid buying at Best Buy for whatever reason. Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

|Zach|
04-11-2005, 03:32 PM
Skip's been around for a long time. He should be able to give you some good advice.

Mr. Laz
04-11-2005, 03:32 PM
dell doesn't suck

what are you going to be using it for?

eazyb81
04-11-2005, 03:36 PM
I am a financial planner, so I will be using it for storing client information and running various software programs. I will also use it at home for getting on the internet.

The guy said Dell sucks because their customer service is so shitty. I don't know why that is a big deal, but I just thought I would pass it along.

Simplex3
04-11-2005, 03:45 PM
The guy said Dell sucks because their customer service is so shitty. I don't know why that is a big deal, but I just thought I would pass it along.
I've had a couple of Dells and have one now, I wouldn't say their service is shitty. They've been out to my house to work on this laptop 3 times now. That should tell you a little about their hardware, however.

eazyb81
04-11-2005, 03:48 PM
So is Dell recommended? Do different brands make much of a difference? I found a pretty good deal on a Gateway at Best Buy, but I heard they aren't that good.

|Zach|
04-11-2005, 03:49 PM
I have had great experiences with Dell...my interactions with their customer service has been just the oppisite. I have had great service.

eazyb81
04-11-2005, 03:56 PM
I need these requirements for the new cpu, and I don't want to spend more then 1100-1200:

1.4 GHz
512 MB
40 GB hard drive
Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Office, etc.

There is a little more, but that is the bulk of it. Is it realistic to keep it in my price range? I am wanting to pay around $30 a month.

Rain Man
04-11-2005, 04:25 PM
I buy only Dell computers for my company, because the one "off brand" computer that we bought was a disaster and they wouldn't fix it. I've been very satisfied with my Dell products.

I've purchased four laptops for the company, and we do a lot of data crunching and word processing. Unless you're wanting to do hard core video gaming or video editing, I'd recommend spending your money on a large screen more so than buying a fast chip or graphics card or whatever. The large screens (15"+) have been key to our enjoyment of the laptops.

eazyb81
04-11-2005, 04:37 PM
I buy only Dell computers for my company, because the one "off brand" computer that we bought was a disaster and they wouldn't fix it. I've been very satisfied with my Dell products.

I've purchased four laptops for the company, and we do a lot of data crunching and word processing. Unless you're wanting to do hard core video gaming or video editing, I'd recommend spending your money on a large screen more so than buying a fast chip or graphics card or whatever. The large screens (15"+) have been key to our enjoyment of the laptops.

This laptop will be strictly for office use and occasional internet surfing. Can I find a Dell laptop with the necessary requirements I posted earlier in my price range ($800-1200)?

Pants
04-11-2005, 04:40 PM
This laptop will be strictly for office use and occasional internet surfing. Can I find a Dell laptop with the necessary requirements I posted earlier in my price range ($800-1200)?

Go to the Dell website to find out, bro. They're the best for every day, mundane tasks.

Mr. Laz
04-11-2005, 04:40 PM
I need these requirements for the new cpu, and I don't want to spend more then 1100-1200:

1.4 GHz
512 MB
40 GB hard drive
Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Office, etc.

There is a little more, but that is the bulk of it. Is it realistic to keep it in my price range? I am wanting to pay around $30 a month.

if you are just using it for the internet and for 2D financial type programs just about any new laptop should work fine. The only time you are going to need more is for 3D applications.(photo/games etc)

look for a reliable company, decent warranty and price.

i would suggest doubling the memory you have listed. But i would also suggest buying and putting in the memory yourself. The companies generally charge a premium when adding memory to your computer.

i would also suggest a bigger hard drive(they are cheap)

looks like Dell would be an ideal situation for you IMO

eazyb81
04-11-2005, 04:41 PM
alright, i'll check it out.

thanks for the help.

Mr. Laz
04-11-2005, 04:42 PM
Save $800 on Inspiron notebooks at Dell

Save $800 on the online purchase of select Inspiron notebooks $1999 or more (before tax and shipping) at Dell

Coupon Code: W2HKVHMFJVX3WM
Expiration: Expires Today

Restrictions: Limited time offer beginning 4/7/05 8:00am CST. May not be combinable with Deals of the Week, Outrageous Deals, dollars off, percentages off, Inspiron XPS Gen 2, XPS, or select other promotions. Only one coupon may be applied per cart at checkout. Enter coupon code at checkout to receive this offer. Coupon code expires after first 4000 uses, or earlier if offer is terminated earlier. Offers subject to change.

Save $500 on Inspiron notebooks at Dell

Save $500 on the online purchase of select Inspiron notebooks $1399 or more (before tax and shipping) at Dell

Coupon Code: PDQL6VRR83TVCJ

Expiration: Expires Today

Restrictions: Limited time offer beginning 4/7/05 8:00am CST. May not be combinable with Deals of the Week, Outrageous Deals, dollars off, percentages off, Inspiron XPS Gen 2, XPS, or select other promotions. Only one coupon may be applied per cart at checkout. Enter coupon code at checkout to receive this offer. Coupon code expires after first 4000 uses, or earlier if offer is terminated earlier. Offers subject to change. View details in My Cart.

Mr. Laz
04-11-2005, 04:43 PM
$750 off $1499+ Inspiron Coupon Coming Back!

Starts Wed, 4/13/05, 8AM CST, Dell Home

Pants
04-11-2005, 04:44 PM

Jesus Christ, those are some nice deals. Wow, is Dell desperate?

jcroft
04-11-2005, 04:46 PM
If you are buying a Windows PC, I definitely recommend Dell. not the sexiest of PCs, but they are fairly reliable and come at a very fair price.

I would NOT get too caught up in the processor and GHz. All computers sold today are going to be plenty fast enough for your needs. You'd be better to spend your extra money on more RAM, a bigger hard drive, and maybe a DVD-RW drive. Processor speed is the biggest myth in computing today. Unless you are doing some highly intensive stuff (you aren't), it's not going to matter one iota.

eazyb81
04-11-2005, 04:49 PM

Where did you find these deals? Are they on the website? These are awesome deals, but I can't by one today. :banghead:

Mr. Laz
04-11-2005, 04:51 PM
Where did you find these deals? Are they on the website? These are awesome deals, but I can't by one today. :banghead:
i'm what u might call an internet scavenger :D

i luv wrangling deals using coupons/sales and rebates to get good deals for electronic chit. :fire:

a good deal starts on wednesday for the dell laptops ... is that too soon?

Rain Man
04-11-2005, 04:52 PM
I'm not sure about pricing, eazyb. I have to buy ours with Office Professional and Windows XP Professional, which drives our costs up.

You definitely should go to the Dell site and check out the Dell outlet, though. They sell "refurbished" computers there with the warranties and everything at a significant discount. For the most part, these are computers that were returned for some reason (often just due to the customers changing their mind), and they look and act like new. I've purchased three of our four laptops at the Dell outlet, and you can't tell them from a new computer. The only downside is that you can't customize them. You sift through their inventory on-line and try to find one that meets your needs.

The Latitude inventory is here, and you can use the menu to go to the Inspiron inventory. It looks like the Latitudes don't come with Office in the latest batch. If you add $500 for that, they might be a little out of your ideal range, but I'll vouch for them as good computers.

http://outlet.us.dell.com/Dispatcher?target=InventoryPage&action=filter&lob=LAT&unique=1113259560086&sessionID=Ca9Qc0FI!-1319798779!1855008104!1113259472853&tgtSeg=B

Mr. Laz
04-12-2005, 10:33 AM
You can get this 700m for $761 after $750 coupon(starts wednesday)

-------------------------------------------
Intel® Pentium® M Processor 725 (1.60 GHz/400MHz FSB)12.1-in WXGA
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
512MB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimms
60 GB Hard Drive
Integrated Network Card
Internal 56K Modem
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)
4-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (32WHr)
1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr At-Home Service, and 1Yr Technical Support

btw - might consider upgrading the battery from 4 to 8

Bob Dole
04-12-2005, 11:53 AM
i'm what u might call an internet scavenger :D

...who spends a lot of time on fatwallet.com.

eazyb81
04-12-2005, 12:02 PM
You can get this 700m for $761 after $750 coupon(starts wednesday)

-------------------------------------------
Intel® Pentium® M Processor 725 (1.60 GHz/400MHz FSB)12.1-in WXGA
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
512MB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimms
60 GB Hard Drive
Integrated Network Card
Internal 56K Modem
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)
4-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (32WHr)
1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr At-Home Service, and 1Yr Technical Support

btw - might consider upgrading the battery from 4 to 8

that seems like a great deal....thanks for the heads up!

Mr. Laz
04-12-2005, 12:10 PM
...who spends a lot of time on fatwallet.com.
actually don't go to fatwallet much ... but it's a good place

but what's your point?

jAZ
04-12-2005, 12:21 PM
As i post here from my 4 year old Dell Inprion 8000, I have only 3 things to share...

1) If you will use your laptop as a desktop (with only occasional travel), go for the biggest display affordable.
2) Make sure to pay the extra $$ for the 3 year extended warranty... I've used it repeatedly. I get things changed out on a whim because it's free... my satisfaction is much higher and w/ laptops, things break more often.
3) I highly recommend Dell... my experiences have been top notch... The in home/work service is great too.

penguinz
04-12-2005, 12:48 PM
I have to say no to extended warranties. They sell them becuase they are where their profit margin is at.

Unless you absolutley need Windows then you might consider an iBook or 12" powerbook. You get more for the $ and they have a much longer lifespan than IBM PC's.

htismaqe
04-12-2005, 12:51 PM
I've had nothing but problems with Dell laptops. They're very cheap and have lots of problems.

I prefer IBM or HP.

Mr. Laz
04-12-2005, 12:54 PM
I have to say no to extended warranties. They sell them becuase they are where their profit margin is at
i disagree strongly with this

laptops are highly intregrated... if one main thing goes wrong you have to replace the entire main board. That's about 50% of the laptop price.

desktops = no to extended warranty

laptops = yes to extended warranty

Bob Dole
04-12-2005, 01:10 PM
actually don't go to fatwallet much ... but it's a good place

but what's your point?

Since when is Bob Dole required to have some sort of point?

Bob Dole
04-12-2005, 01:12 PM
I've had nothing but problems with Dell laptops. They're very cheap and have lots of problems.

I prefer IBM or HP.

Bob Dole is on his second Dell laptop. The first (Inspiron 5000e) was in regular use for almost 4 years, and the only problem occurred when some drunk woman spilled a beer on the keyboard (and Dell repaired it on-site for $0). Still works just fine--just slow as hell.

jAZ
04-12-2005, 01:33 PM
I have to say no to extended warranties. They sell them becuase they are where their profit margin is at.
I agree with you on almost all items... digital cameras and laptops are the only two exceptions to that rule, IMO.

Laptops get banged around more often than do desktops. Trying to replace the brocken plastic, or other little structural or costmetic things like that makes it work it IMO.

Phobia
04-12-2005, 01:35 PM
If I were you, I'd go shopping with Ecto-I's roommate. He has some great specials.

JimNasium
04-12-2005, 01:43 PM
I've got a couple of laptops (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=114039) that I'll sell you cheap and an Ipod to boot.

JimNasium
04-12-2005, 01:44 PM
If I were you, I'd go shopping with Ecto-I's roommate. He has some great specials.
Damn, beat to the punch. :cuss:

|Zach|
04-12-2005, 01:45 PM
Damn, beat to the punch. :cuss:
Day late and an IPod short.

JimNasium
04-12-2005, 01:46 PM
Day late and an IPod short.
Hey, I can't make it Sunday. Do you need me to do anything in advance?

|Zach|
04-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Hey, I can't make it Sunday. Do you need me to do anything in advance?
Not that I can think of...I am trying to put some packets together or some form of info that I can pass around. :hmmm:

JimNasium
04-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Not that I can think of...I am trying to put some packets together or some form of info that I can pass around. :hmmm:
Let me see if I can come up with something on my end. At the very least I can help with the printing.

|Zach|
04-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Let me see if I can come up with something on my end. At the very least I can help with the printing.
Sounds perfect...

I have gotten Chiefs Pre-season, Royals, Cardinals, and possibly Rams tickets to offer some of those guys for the work. Thought if we could throw something at them it would be appreciated on their end.

htismaqe
04-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Bob Dole is on his second Dell laptop. The first (Inspiron 5000e) was in regular use for almost 4 years, and the only problem occurred when some drunk woman spilled a beer on the keyboard (and Dell repaired it on-site for $0). Still works just fine--just slow as hell.

Between 2 jobs and home I've had 4 Dell Laptops and a total of NINE motherboards. I've had in-home repair 3 times on just one computer. I've had the screen replaced on two of the units. I've had two bad wireless adapters out-of-the-box. That's just the start of it.

On the other hand, I dropped my IBM off of a concrete dock. 15 feet. In 20-degree weather. Never skipped a beat and still works to this day, almost 2 years later.

conchshell
04-12-2005, 05:21 PM
Just chipped in to give some info. Dell is releasing a coupon for $750 off any inspiron laptop abovve $1500 tomorrow morning at 6ET. For more details, visit this site www.bensbargains.net Hope this helps

eazyb81
04-12-2005, 05:47 PM
Just chipped in to give some info. Dell is releasing a coupon for $750 off any inspiron laptop abovve $1500 tomorrow morning at 6ET. For more details, visit this site www.bensbargains.net (http://www.bensbargains.net) Hope this helps
How does this work? I went to the website and they gave examples of the deal, but do I have to order it through that website or through Dell? Do the prices on Dell's website just magically change tomorrow? That is an incredible deal, I want to just order it tomorrow but I can't put any money down on it. Can I get financing on it fairly easily, or do they have to run credit checks on me, etc? A Dell Inspiron 9300 for $850 would be sweet as hell.

Mr. Laz
04-12-2005, 06:04 PM
How does this work? I went to the website and they gave examples of the deal, but do I have to order it through that website or through Dell? Do the prices on Dell's website just magically change tomorrow? That is an incredible deal, I want to just order it tomorrow but I can't put any money down on it. Can I get financing on it fairly easily, or do they have to run credit checks on me, etc? A Dell Inspiron 9300 for $850 would be sweet as hell.
that's the deals i been telling you about throughout this thread ... the deals that start tommorrow.

laz
~feels like people listen but they just don't hear~

eazyb81
04-12-2005, 06:09 PM
that's the deals i been telling you about throughout this thread ... the deals that start tommorrow.

laz
~feels like people listen but they just don't hear~

what can i say, i'm hard headed....ROFL

I think I needed to see it like 3 time before a lightbulb went off in my head.

I can still get financing tomorrow during that deal right? I don't have any money I can put down on it right now, I don't start my job until May. Also, is it going to be a hassle to get financing tomorrow in one day?

Rep :thumb:

Sure-Oz
04-12-2005, 06:57 PM
I was thinking of having a friend get the 700m, with the 1.80 ghz 60gig hd 24x burner/dvd drive, 1 gig 2 dimm, she just wants it for music, playing movies/music, homework stuff, that should be good enough id say!

Ninjaman
04-12-2005, 07:21 PM
Dude. Just look at the office max, office Depot and Best buy ads in sundays paper.

Laptaps are now around 599 -700 dollar range for word processing and internet surfing.

Don't listen to all the experts here.

If you need a power laptop to replace your desktop then that is a different subject alltogether and costs skyrocket.

Sure-Oz
04-12-2005, 07:47 PM
My friend wants a laptop for herself. I suggested the 700m upgrading it to 1.80 ghz 60gig hd 1GB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimms, 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive, 65 WHr 8-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery, 256MB Dell™ USB Memory Key. Give or take away a few software addons to make it right at $1499 for the coupon to work. She really wants it just for schooling, burning music, playing music, playing dvds, downloading music, and wants it to be fast so she can do multiple tasks, why i suggested so much ram. She is not a gamer or anything like that. Considering it is also lightweight as well, is the screen big enough you think? She has an old POS computer as well. Thanks for any suggestions, the 2nd cpu i was thinking of was the 6000 series one, but the 700m is better? I showed her the 6000 and the 700m, she thought the 700m was "cute" and favors it lol!

Anyone know if the screen of the 700m in particular is sufficient enough, that may be the only "iffy" part i have between that and having her get the 6000.

conchshell
04-12-2005, 08:25 PM
Here's how this dell stuff works

Usually, when you go to the dell site @ www.dell.com and click on their notebooks, (This being applicable only to inspiron models), you see a featured model. You can click customize it and add Ram, hard disk etc... per your choice.

The price of the notebook is displayed below and changes when you customize and click update. Usually Dell shows a Black striked out price (MSRP) and a Red regular price just below it which is part of the deal.

Tomorrow morning @ 6ET, the coupon will be released in many deal sites ex.. www.bensbargains.net and www.deals2buy.com
What you have to do is, click the inspiron which you have in mind, customize it. Make sure the price in black striked out exceeds 1500. Ignore the regular red price.

Then when you go to the checkout page, apply the coupon in the box provided. Voila.. $750 deducted automatically. No rebates, no hassles. Shipping might be handled as a rebate though, I amn't sure.

Hope this helps. BTW, there will be pre-configured models and instructions available in all dealsites sometime tomorrow morning. If you can wait, you can check those instructions. But, the laptops model you are looking might be sold by then. Good luck

conchshell
04-12-2005, 08:41 PM
Some advice regarding the Processor, Memory, hard disk etc...

The new laptops usually come in Pentium-M processors. There are still a lot of Pentium-4s being sold though. The thing with P4 is, it absolutely sucks in battery life. The P4 processor gets super hot very quick and to cool it, lot of fans are needed. So, inherently, P4 laptops are hot, bulky due to the cooling fans, and noisy.

Centrino / Pentium-M notebooks are essentially the same. The architecture is different from P4 and these processors do not tend to get hot. When calculating processing power, a 1.6 Ghz Centrino/Pentium-M roughly equals a 2.2 Ghz P4 processor minus the baggage, a 2 Ghz Centrino equals a 2.7 P4 processor ... But the Pentium-M processor tends to be pricey. I got a 1.6 Pentium-M in a similar deal last time to replace my P4 laptop. Just make sure you get lot of memory. ( at least 1 gb)

Another important component for speed is hard-disk. For measuring hard-disk speed, you need to go by the RPM (Rotations Per Minute). Laptop manufacturers tend to use 4200RPM hard disks to cut costs. If you want a speedy laptop, make sure you have atleast a 7200 RPM hard-disk.
Disk capacity (40 GB, 80GB etc..) don't matter.

Another important component is the video card. While not essential, I recommend atleast getting a bare-minimum 32 MB video card. If no video card, your display gets its memory from the computer RAM which is the main memory. That will make it slow. If you plan on connecting your laptop to a projector, tv etc... make sure you get an S-video out port and a 64 MB video card. almost all new ones come with an s-video port but be sure to check it in the configuration.

conchshell
04-12-2005, 08:58 PM
My friend wants a laptop for herself. I suggested the 700m upgrading it to 1.80 ghz 60gig hd 1GB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimms, 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive, 65 WHr 8-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery, 256MB Dell™ USB Memory Key. Give or take away a few software addons to make it right at $1499 for the coupon to work. She really wants it just for schooling, burning music, playing music, playing dvds, downloading music, and wants it to be fast so she can do multiple tasks, why i suggested so much ram. She is not a gamer or anything like that. Considering it is also lightweight as well, is the screen big enough you think? She has an old POS computer as well. Thanks for any suggestions, the 2nd cpu i was thinking of was the 6000 series one, but the 700m is better? I showed her the 6000 and the 700m, she thought the 700m was "cute" and favors it lol!

Anyone know if the screen of the 700m in particular is sufficient enough, that may be the only "iffy" part i have between that and having her get the 6000.

Personally, I wouldn't want a wide-screen in my laptop, but that's just me. I am really restraining myself from the 700m here. I currently have a 600m which is very practical. But for the cool factor, it pales compared to the 700m. Beware the 700m uses a 4 cell battery, so the battery life is very short. But @ 4 pounds, its almost like carrying a book. In fact, I was walking holding my buddy's 700m in one hand and typing with the other hand... You can try the 700m, just for fun, not practicality

Jenny Gump
04-12-2005, 09:01 PM
I happen to have two new laptops...just picked them up today. I'd be willing to work out a deal, but don't tell Ecto.

Sure-Oz
04-12-2005, 09:05 PM
Personally, I wouldn't want a wide-screen in my laptop, but that's just me. I am really restraining myself from the 700m here. I currently have a 600m which is very practical. But for the cool factor, it pales compared to the 700m. Beware the 700m uses a 4 cell battery, so the battery life is very short. But @ 4 pounds, its almost like carrying a book. In fact, I was walking holding my buddy's 700m in one hand and typing with the other hand... You can try the 700m, just for fun, not practicality
I pretty much decided the 6000 one is probably better, you agree? Considering what add ons i want her to get.

conchshell
04-12-2005, 09:21 PM
I pretty much decided the 6000 one is probably better, you agree? Considering what add ons i want her to get.

The 6000 is a good purchase. it's a widescreen though. WTF, dell ;-)

QuikSsurfer
04-12-2005, 09:39 PM
I need a laptop for my new job, but I don't really know what to look for. I am looking to spend between $800-1100, and I know that the type of processer and processer speed (GHz?) are important, but so is the hard drive and memory. Of these features, which are most important? Are there any other important features that I need to look for? Also, does the brand matter that much? This computer whiz guy that now works with me told me that Dell sucks, and homemade(?) computers are the best, and to avoid buying at Best Buy for whatever reason. Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

That's easy... Powerbook

Sure-Oz
04-12-2005, 09:40 PM
i appreciate it, i dont think it will matter much to her considering the 2 options she has are that and the 700, but isnt hte 600 also the same as the 700 ws wise?

she just want a nice laptop that can play movies, burn music, listen to music mainly and do multiple tasks like hw.

Miles
04-12-2005, 09:56 PM

Probably depends on what you use if for on wheter you will like the widescreen. I didnt think i would like it at all but i got a deal on widescreen HP a while back so i went with it anyways. I mostly use it for word processing and internet and now much prefer the widescreen.

I like a more compact notebook and the widescreen seems to make the smaller screens more practical.

Ninjaman
04-12-2005, 10:21 PM
Go to pcworld.com

and check out the buyers guide for laptops.

Cnet.com has a laptop guide too.

conchshell
04-12-2005, 10:30 PM
Probably depends on what you use if for on wheter you will like the widescreen. I didnt think i would like it at all but i got a deal on widescreen HP a while back so i went with it anyways. I mostly use it for word processing and internet and now much prefer the widescreen.

I like a more compact notebook and the widescreen seems to make the smaller screens more practical.

hmm.. going thru what you said, doesn't sound that bad. congrats on a happy purchase.

dtebbe
04-13-2005, 06:14 AM
That's easy... Powerbook

Thuper! :thailor:

DT

eazyb81
04-13-2005, 07:47 AM
WTF?? These coupon codes aren't working, it says they have previously been redeemed? Anyone know what the hell is going on? ****

eazyb81
04-13-2005, 08:00 AM
you have got to be kidding me....the coupon is already dead after 1 ****ing hour...:banghead:

Well, there goes all my hope, now I am ****ed....

Nubian Nut
04-13-2005, 09:52 AM
Ten Rules for choosing a New Laptop computer

1. Processor speed, a much used sales point, is not as important as most people think. Unless you are running high end graphics you can easily use a Pentium III or equivalent. often test so that systems with P4 chips actually run no faster than Pentium III configurations in laptops. People who have modest computing needs can save a lot of money by sticking with a PIII-M notebook. Use that money for other things, like RAM.

2. System memory: Don't settle for anything less than 256MB of system memory if you want to do more than word processing and e-mail, because Windows XP and newer applications quickly chew up memory and threaten to slow down your work. Memory slots are usually fairly easy to reach on notebooks, if you wish to upgrade.

3. Graphics memory: You'll want 32MB or 64MB of video RAM if you plan on using your laptop to drive external monitors for presentations. Make sure that the memory is dedicated rather than pulled from main memory; this is sometimes referred to as a universal (UMA) or shared (SMA) memory architecture.

4. Screen: Some portables with 14.1-inch and 15.1-inch screens now cost as little as $1200. But business-class fliers who prefer a more compact notebook screen size of 12.1 or 13.3 inches may soon have only ultraportables to choose from.

5. Battery: In battery tests conducted by the PC World Test Center, battery life in units equipped with the new P4-M chip averaged roughly 2.5 hours. While Intel and notebook manufacturers try to iron out the P4-M's power consumption kinks, consider buying a notebook that uses the older Pentium III-M chip; these portables posted battery lives of between 3 and 3.5 hours in most cases. Most notebooks come with a lithium ion rechargeable battery, which lasts longer than the less common nickel metal hydride rechargeable and doesn't need to be replaced as often.

6. If you want more time away from an outlet, buy a notebook that has a modular bay capable of holding a supplementary power pack. Secondary batteries usually cost between $100 and $200.

7. Keyboard and pointing device: A thin-and-light notebook usually has smaller-than-average keys spaced more closely than the ones found on a desktop-replacement model. Even notebooks with the same standard 3mm travel (the distance a key depresses) and 19mm spacing (from the center of one key top to the next) can feel different, however, and their layouts may differ significantly.

8. For people who can't choose between a touchpad and an eraserhead pointing device, some notebooks include both. If you buy one of these dually equipped portables, make sure that it provides two sets of mouse buttons--one for the touchpad and the other for the eraserhead--so you don't have to stretch to reach.

9. Optical and other drives: Built-in rewritable DVD drives aren't likely to arrive in notebook PCs anytime soon, but if you can afford it, the next best thing is a combination DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive. Midrange machines usually feature a DVD-ROM drive or a CD-RW drive, and only the least-expensive notebooks come standard with just a CD-ROM drive.

10. The floppy drive has outlasted its SuperDrive and Zip drive challengers and continues to appear in many notebooks. Some "legacy light" portables have phased it out, but you can buy a USB add-on floppy drive for less than $100.

Manila-Chief
04-13-2005, 09:54 AM
As i post here from my 4 year old Dell Inprion 8000, I have only 3 things to share...

1) If you will use your laptop as a desktop (with only occasional travel), go for the biggest display affordable.
2) Make sure to pay the extra $$ for the 3 year extended warranty... I've used it repeatedly. I get things changed out on a whim because it's free... my satisfaction is much higher and w/ laptops, things break more often.
3) I highly recommend Dell... my experiences have been top notch... The in home/work service is great too.

I'm using my Dell Inspiron 8200 as my CPU. I have it connected to a monitor, keyboard, and wireless mouse. It works great. So, if you want to save money and have an extra monitor you could get a smaller screen and hook it up to an external monitor.

I bought mine in Feb. 2003 while I was on State Side Assignment. The salesman told me that I could get service here in Manila, Philippines. He even mentioned someone was going to Manila and taking 400 desk tops and surely there would be service. You guested it ... no service available here.

Either my video card or the LCD screen has gone out on me. I can use it connected to the monitor.

As far as the computer is concerned, I'm pleased with it except that I can't see the LCD screen. There is only a faint outline of the program.

Mr. Laz
04-13-2005, 10:22 AM
you have got to be kidding me....the coupon is already dead after 1 ****ing hour...:banghead:

Well, there goes all my hope, now I am ****ed....

apparently Dell limited it to 750 uses :( some people were up at 12:01 buying computers or something.

you can still go to dell and see the other sales... they have 300-500 off of other laptops.

example:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=I1200L1&s=dhs

Rain Man
04-13-2005, 10:35 AM
That's tacky on Dell's part.

eazyb81
04-13-2005, 10:50 AM
I read on another website that Dell didn't limit how many computers people could order, so some people were ordering 10 and 20 at a time, just to resell them on ebay. Apparently the deal lasted for only 48 minutes, compared to 4 or 5 hours a few months ago... :shake:

there are still some good deals on the dell website though, and I might try and wait for another big sale to come around. I didn't really need the laptop right now, I can wait about a month until I really need one. From now until then I will keep my eyes peeled for a good deal.

Mr. Laz
04-13-2005, 10:57 AM
I read on another website that Dell didn't limit how many computers people could order, so some people were ordering 10 and 20 at a time, just to resell them on ebay. Apparently the deal lasted for only 48 minutes, compared to 4 or 5 hours a few months ago... :shake:

there are still some good deals on the dell website though, and I might try and wait for another big sale to come around. I didn't really need the laptop right now, I can wait about a month until I really need one. From now until then I will keep my eyes peeled for a good deal.

if i see a good one i'll try and remember to let ya know :thumb:

eazyb81
04-13-2005, 11:01 AM
if i see a good one i'll try and remember to let ya know :thumb:

that would be excellent.

SBK
04-14-2005, 12:45 AM
www.bensbargains.net (http://www.bensbargains.net) and www.deals2buy.com (http://www.deals2buy.com)

Anybody know of other sites that list stuff like these? I am apparantly WAY behind the curve on this one.....

PM me if it must be kept a secret.

BTW I am totally amazed right now, which is pretty sad. ROFL

htismaqe
04-14-2005, 04:47 AM
Well, I was down at my old place of work yesterday.

After 2 years of an exclusive contract with Dell, they're going back to IBM.

Just over 1000 laptops purchased in 2 years.

THREE THOUSAND service calls.

Tribesman
04-23-2005, 03:30 PM
I need a laptop for my new job, but I don't really know what to look for. I am looking to spend between $800-1100 . . . Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

Don't know if you've found one yet but I came across this deal from Circuit City. Considering how it's equipped, $1100 is a pretty good buy in my opinion.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-Pavilion-Notebook-PC-ZV6005US-/sem/rpsm/oid/120278/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do