PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what the

jollymon
04-11-2005, 08:48 PM
problem is. Ok I logged onto Newegg last week and bought a new Mobo, DDR Ram, and a PSU. I was going to throw my HD and other parts into this new monster and use an old Dell Tower. After rigging the On Button to work with this new Motherboard (ASUS P4S800 MX) and installing an old P4 (2.4 512kb 400fsb) the damn thing will not recognize my monitor. The monitor acts like it is just turned off, it just blinks orange like the monitor is on but the PC is turned off.

I wanted to know if this is more than likely the CPU or could it be the new motherboard, PSU, or somethign else? Note I did not install my RAM or anything so it is not loose cards or anything like that. I did however try it with ram and stuff and got the same reaction from it.

I am going to go to bed and hopefully some tech gurus will figure it all out. Also I may be wiulling to buy a working P4 processor that is used and fairly priced, because I don't want to put much more out. Also could it possibly be a haunted case? Doooo Doooo Dooooooo....

penguinz
04-11-2005, 09:40 PM
Do you get any post beeps?

"Bob" Dobbs
04-11-2005, 11:14 PM
also, onboard video or using a video card? if you have BOTH, is the monitor plugged into the right one?

"Bob" Dobbs
04-11-2005, 11:16 PM
my other immediate thought is bad power supply

jollymon
04-12-2005, 04:10 AM
no post beeps t all.

and I have another vudeo card but am just using the onboard for hookup

"Bob" Dobbs
04-12-2005, 04:34 AM
is the other video card currently installed in the machine? In some cases, the BIOS disables onboard video automatically when theres a card in the AGP slot.

"Bob" Dobbs
04-12-2005, 04:35 AM
...and i would think you should hear ONE post beep, anyway. zero sounds like a bad sign.

penguinz
04-12-2005, 08:33 AM
Remove the RAM and try to boot it. If you do not get any error tones then it is either the CPU or the MB.

jollymon
04-13-2005, 04:10 AM
It was the processor. I have a Celeron 2.4 in there now that a friend let me have. Now I am just saving up for the Pentium. :D