PDA

View Full Version : Rufus defends Carl

shaneo69
04-12-2005, 08:03 AM
DAWES: YOU (GENIOUSES) NEVER HEARD IT SAID
Apr 12, 2005, 1:06:44 AM by Media Watch by Rufus Dawes

No story told about Chiefs president and GM Carl Peterson has attracted more local attention than his supposed pledge to get the Chiefs to the Super Bowl in five years: the much referenced “five year plan.”

“It has taken far too long for Peterson to execute his five-year Super Bowl plan,” Jason Whitlock wrote (Kansas City Star, November 5, 2003) and a year later he mentioned it again. (Kansas City Star, November 28, 2004) Expect to see it just before or shortly after this year’s draft concludes.

Peterson is supposed to have said at the time of his hiring that he would get the Chiefs to the Super Bowl five years after taking over the team. Since the story has been widely quoted to illustrate Peterson’s broken promises and as an entrée to attack his character, it should be examined with a more critical eye than either Whitlock or any of the radio talk show hosts who continue to repeat it have brought to bear.

Here then, in Peterson’s words at the time of his hiring, is the tale of what he said about getting to or winning the Super Bowl in five years. It is taken from the actual recorded transcript of Peterson’s introductory press conference as president and general manager of the Chiefs on December 28, 1988 and includes every reference to turning the team around and how long it might take. It’s the only printed evidence available that I know of or that anyone else has produced on the subject. It comes courtesy of one of our local radio stations who recorded it at the time of Peterson’s hiring in 1988. No newspaper stories at the time reference any such “plan,” by the way.

Q: Is this situation at all like the situation you took over in Philadelphia?

PETERSON: “I think there is an analogy there. (note: Peterson joined the Eagles in 1977 and in 1980 the team played in Super Bowl XV.) In fact, in regard to the number of wins, it was identical when we came in. I think the Eagles had won four and lost 10 the previous year. Every situation is different. I think a plus here is that we do have our first, second and third round picks. In Philadelphia we didn’t have a first round pick for the first three drafts that I was involved in, nor a second, nor a third.”

Q: Is the situation at all like the USFL (United States Football League)?

PETERSON: “It does take time (note: the only reference to time in the entire press conference) and I do have a plan (note: only reference to “plan”) on how to evaluate and reorganize if necessary.”

An anecdote 16 years old is likely to have suffered many vicissitudes. Columnists and certainly radio talk types are not the most accurate of chroniclers; Whitlock’s feelings for Peterson prompted him no doubt to improve the rough-hewn material of lesser reporters; and radio talk show hosts have inherited their profession’s relish for bombast and melodrama. To put the matter bluntly, there is hardly a detail of the story which resists scrutiny or can be confirmed from other printed sources. Hence it can’t be said to be true, especially in the case of Whitlock who wasn’t even in Kansas City when Peterson was alleged to have said it.

There’s plenty to gripe about this past Chiefs season without drudging up something that never was said in the first place.

Bowser
04-12-2005, 08:05 AM
I just hope Rufus cleaned all of Carl's man grease off his hands before he typed that.

Mark M
04-12-2005, 08:07 AM
So ... let me get this straight:

The NFL draft is coming up, a starting LB just had surgery, KC may trade for a top-notch CB, there are other FAs still out there (i.e. KJ) that they may sign, and Rufus is still doing everything he can to discredit the KC media (namely Whitlock) just so the Chiefs look better.

Someone should send Rufus a flashlight so he can find his way out of Carl's ass.

MM
~~:rolleyes:

nmt1
04-12-2005, 08:20 AM

The NFL draft is coming up, a starting LB just had surgery, KC may trade for a top-notch CB, there are other FAs still out there (i.e. KJ) that they may sign, and Rufus is still doing everything he can to discredit the KC media (namely Whitlock) just so the Chiefs look better.

Someone should send Rufus a flashlight so he can find his way out of Carl's ass.

MM

Rufus wrote something like this last year too. You've got to admit that the 5 year plan thing is tired, made up or otherwise. Of course it'll get dusted off again and again by the Carl haters, regardless of whether or not he actually said it.
I think Rufus is offering Whitlock a hand in getting his head out of his own ass.

jspchief
04-12-2005, 08:22 AM

MM

Couldn't have said it better. :thumb:

It's not that Rufus is wrong in what he says. It's just that I have to think that Chiefs fans on a world wide level, are interested in something other than than a pissing match with a local radio host. There has to be a lot of people outside the KC area that go to that site actually looking for team news, only to be inundated with defensive PR editorial pieces.

They continue to bestow credibility on the people they claim have no credibility.

TEX
04-12-2005, 08:35 AM
Oaky Rufas, now print what Peterson said about how,"The Buck stops here" when explaining how the CHIEFS signed all thier crappy _efensive players last year. It's funny how he was held "accountable" by getting a new deal... :hmmm:

There's a message there and it's the same one that's been there for 16 years...

Brock
04-12-2005, 08:46 AM
Yes, Peterson did say "we have a five year plan". I guess he's lucky there was no internet at the time, so he can lie about it now.

nmt1
04-12-2005, 08:46 AM
Yes, Peterson did say "we have a five year plan". I guess he's lucky there was no internet at the time, so he can lie about it now.

Can you provide proof?

Brock
04-12-2005, 08:49 AM
Can you provide proof?

I heard him say it. It didn't just materialize out of the blue sky.

If you're asking me for a link, I think I already alluded to the fact that no one can. :rolleyes:

nmt1
04-12-2005, 08:53 AM
I heard him say it. It didn't just materialize out of the blue sky.

If you're asking me for a link, I think I already alluded to the fact that no one can. :rolleyes:

You heard it in the press conference that Rufus mentions in his article or somewhere else? The only person I've ever seen provide any proof of what was said at that press conference is Rufus.
Regardless of whether or not it was said, it was 16 years ago. We didn't get to the Superbowl in 5 or 10 or 16 years. It might be time to start thinking about getting past it.

Brock
04-12-2005, 08:56 AM
You heard it in the press conference that Rufus mentions in his article or somewhere else? The only person I've ever seen provide any proof of what was said at that press conference is Rufus.
Regardless of whether or not it was said, it was 16 years ago. We didn't get to the Superbowl in 5 or 10 or 16 years. It might be time to start thinking about getting past it.

It's not even an issue for me. I think he sucks because it's self-evident he sucks, not because he didn't get the team to the super bowl in 5 years. I do think it's interesting that he's lying about it now, when he admitted to it a few years ago.

Ah, but he predicted that Super Bowl in five years.

"It has haunted me a time or two," he said. "But I said it. And I meant it. I'm not backing down from that goal. It's hard to win a Super Bowl. But we'll get there."

http://www.kcstar.com/item/pages/printer.pat%2Csports/3774b454.823%2C.html

:rolleyes:

nmt1
04-12-2005, 09:02 AM
It's not even an issue for me. I think he sucks because it's self-evident he sucks, not because he didn't get the team to the super bowl in 5 years. It's interesting that he's lying about it now, when he admitted to it a few years ago.

http://www.kcstar.com/item/pages/printer.pat%2Csports/3774b454.823%2C.html

:rolleyes:

If it's not an issue, why do you care about it at all? The writer of this particular article is Rufus, not Carl. Unless, of course, you subscribe to the theory that Rufus = Carl. We'll probably never know if that's the case.
The person Whitlock and all the Carl haters should be upset with is Lamar. He's the one who keeps re-upping Carl's contract.

HemiEd
04-12-2005, 09:05 AM
Rufus wrote something like this last year too. You've got to admit that the 5 year plan thing is tired, made up or otherwise. Of course it'll get dusted off again and again by the Carl haters, regardless of whether or not he actually said it.
I think Rufus is offering Whitlock a hand in getting his head out of his own ass.

I could not have said this better! :thumb:

Brock
04-12-2005, 09:05 AM
If it's not an issue, why do you care about it at all? The writer of this particular article is Rufus, not Carl. Unless, of course, you subscribe to the theory that Rufus = Carl. We'll probably never know if that's the case.
The person Whitlock and all the Carl haters should be upset with is Lamar. He's the one who keeps re-upping Carl's contract.

Unfortunately, Rufus, whoever Rufus is, decided to try and re-write history. I take issue with that fact, not with the long-dead 5 year plan.

KCTitus
04-12-2005, 09:07 AM
Did he steal genious (chiefsplanet spelling)? Ok, now I'm pissed...

Im thinking of firing off a letter to Lamar about this.

Fat Elvis
04-12-2005, 10:05 AM
Witlock ought to write a national article entitled: "Meet my bitch: Bob Gre...er, Rufus Dawes."

Mark M
04-12-2005, 10:12 AM
It's not that Rufus is wrong in what he says. It's just that I have to think that Chiefs fans on a world wide level, are interested in something other than than a pissing match with a local radio host. There has to be a lot of people outside the KC area that go to that site actually looking for team news, only to be inundated with defensive PR editorial pieces.

They continue to bestow credibility on the people they claim have no credibility.

DING! DING! DING!

It seems as though damn near every article written by Gretz and Rufus takes some shot at the local media. Granted, some of the local media does suck, but constantly taking shots at them just makes the Chiefs look petty.

If they don't care about the media, why acknowledge them? Why take every chance to rip them when there are more pressing issues?

The biggest issue I have with this article is that it's a lie. Carl has admitted in the past to the 5-year plan and how it was a mistake.

It's pretty sad, really, when a portion of the front office appears more concerned with what is said in the papers and on talk radio then improving the product on the field.

MM
~~:shrug:

MM
~~

BigRedChief
04-12-2005, 10:17 AM
More PR BS out of one Arrowhead drive. They should care less about what the local media writes and more about getting a frigging CB and LB in here for a Super Bowl run.

donkhater
04-12-2005, 10:21 AM
Actually, I couldn't give a rat's a$$ about a five year plan. All I know is that it is year 16 and no Super bowl and no playoffs wins in over a decade.

That alone is what he should be ridiculed for.

htismaqe
04-12-2005, 10:24 AM
The only thing more boring, repetetive, useless, and annoying than Rufus' articles themselves is some people's need to repost them here...

Nobody here wants to read Dufus' stuff, even the homers...

Mr. Laz
04-12-2005, 11:51 AM
Rufus defends Carl

does he ever do anything else? :shrug:

the Talking Can
04-12-2005, 12:38 PM
when I think of rufus dawes, I think "how much sperm can one man drink?"

htismaqe
04-12-2005, 12:52 PM
does he ever do anything else? :shrug:

Exactly.

shaneo69
04-12-2005, 12:56 PM
The only thing more boring, repetetive, useless, and annoying than Rufus' articles themselves is some people's need to repost them here...

Nobody here wants to read Dufus' stuff, even the homers...

I think the articles are pretty funny.

whoman69
04-12-2005, 01:30 PM
Rufus/Whitlock/Pederson form an unusual triangle in which they form a seemingly impossible chain of having their heads not only shoved up their own asses but up the asses of the others involved as well.

Ultra Peanut
04-12-2005, 01:37 PM
In other news, PssvAggrsvveDck defends SDChiefsfan.

Did he steal genious (chiefsplanet spelling)? Ok, now I'm pissed...I think that was a shout-out to us...

Logical
04-12-2005, 01:51 PM

Whether he said it or not really is no longer the point. The point is his complete and utter failure to achieve the goal every GM needs to achieve to be a success. Maybe he should have got 7 or even 10 but after 10 he had proven he could not succeed and should have been replaced.

htismaqe
04-12-2005, 02:08 PM
I think the articles are pretty funny.

But why regurgitate it here, unless you're just looking for another reason to bitch and moan?

donkhater
04-12-2005, 02:08 PM
Whether he said it or not really is no longer the point. The point is his complete and utter failure to achieve the goal every GM needs to achieve to be a success. Maybe he should have got 7 or even 10 but after 10 he had proven he could not succeed and should have been replaced.
I agree.

Think about it. Can anyone else name a GM of a professional sports team that has not had a playoff win in the last decade yet is on 15+ seasons with the same club?