PDA

View Full Version : How about the Chiefs trading DOWN?

KChiefs1
04-12-2005, 10:29 AM
It appears that most mock's have the Chiefs selecting Carlos Rogers at #15 & going Kevin Burnett at #46 but "what if" the Chiefs can trade down with Philly(31 & 35) for their pick? That would give the Chiefs the 31st, 35th & 46th picks & allow them to get 3 pretty good selections?

If you use the consensus mock drafts the Chiefs could end up with:

Marlin Jackson
Barrett Ruud
Roddy White

Which group would you rather have?

Coogs
04-12-2005, 10:32 AM
I have been on the trade down bandwagon for a few weeks now. I like the idea. Might have different players, but that is no biggie.

Brock
04-12-2005, 10:36 AM
Everybody wants to trade down this year. Gonna be tough.

Bowser
04-12-2005, 10:36 AM
I'm for it, especially with Philly. That would ensure Surtain would be a Chief, and Carl is still going to be able to puke on his shoes with another reach in the second round. Win-win! :thumb:

Coogs
04-12-2005, 10:39 AM
I'm for it, especially with Philly. That would ensure Surtain would be a Chief, and Carl is still going to be able to puke on his shoes with another reach in the second round. Win-win! :thumb:

I like the Surtain part in the trade down. I don't want to give up draft picks next year. That is what has us in this mess this year.

tyton75
04-12-2005, 10:56 AM
I think it would be difficult for Philly to give up that much to move up 15 slots... and if they WERE willing to do that.. who would be on the board that they would so desperately want and why wouldn't we pick that person?!?

Bowser
04-12-2005, 10:56 AM
I like the Surtain part in the trade down. I don't want to give up draft picks next year. That is what has us in this mess this year.

Agreed.

Welbourne couldn't have gone over the required amount of snaps by too much. They rotated at right tackle a good part of the year.....

nascher
04-12-2005, 10:58 AM
No Take the Best Defensive Player @15 we need some difference Makers no more Projects like Siavii ...

Bowser
04-12-2005, 10:59 AM
No Take the Best Defensive Player @15 we need some difference Makers no more Projects like Siavii ...

We need a second rounder to get Surtain. I have no problems giving up our 15th pick to move down and ensure that Surtain is a Chief.

Coogs
04-12-2005, 11:01 AM
I think it would be difficult for Philly to give up that much to move up 15 slots... and if they WERE willing to do that.. who would be on the board that they would so desperately want and why wouldn't we pick that person?!?

I agree. But we might be able to get #31, their late 2nd at #63, and OUR 3rd back which is #77. Give Miami #77 and maybe another 5th or 6th this year and be done with the Surtain thing.

That would give us a late 1st, two 2nd's, and our late 3rd, plus Surtain.

TRR
04-12-2005, 11:04 AM
Philly has no need to trade up. All of their starters are in place. They are drafting for depth. They are not in a position where they have to give up picks to move up.

I like the idea, it just won't happen with Philly.

eazyb81
04-12-2005, 11:12 AM
I would MUCH rather have Carlos Rogers and Kevin Burnett over Marlin Jackson, Barrett Ruud, and Roddy White.

I don't know what everybody's fascination is with Marlin, he is okay but he is not better then Rogers. Also, I really don't like the fact that he played safety last year....I know he played CB earlier in his career but haven't we learned by now not to draft safeties to play CB?

I also don't understand the Ruud pick, he can't play OLB and we don't really need a backup MLB in the 2nd round. Would much rather have Blackstock or Burnett.

Roddy White would be a good addition, but I think we could find a WR later on that could get playing time.

Frankie
04-12-2005, 11:18 AM
I would MUCH rather have Carlos Rogers and Kevin Burnett over Marlin Jackson, Barrett Ruud, and Roddy White.

I don't know what everybody's fascination is with Marlin, he is okay but he is not better then Rogers. Also, I really don't like the fact that he played safety last year....I know he played CB earlier in his career but haven't we learned by now not to draft safeties to play CB?

I also don't understand the Ruud pick, he can't play OLB and we don't really need a backup MLB in the 2nd round. Would much rather have Blackstock or Burnett.

Roddy White would be a good addition, but I think we could find a WR later on that could get playing time.

EXACTLY. Good, thoughtful post. :thumb:

mrbiggz
04-12-2005, 11:21 AM
I want Matt Jones in the early 2nd

Mark M
04-12-2005, 11:26 AM
IMHO, it depends on if they make the deal for Surtain and it's for a 2nd rounder.

If it is, then I say trade down to pick up a second round pick.

If not, then keep the #15 and get the best defensive player available that is NOT a safety.

MM
~~:shrug:

htismaqe
04-12-2005, 11:27 AM

Have you seen Jackson play?

He's NOT a safety.

eazyb81
04-12-2005, 11:29 AM
Have you seen Jackson play?

He's NOT a safety.

Yes I have, and he may not be a safety, but he did play safety last year. Like it or not, that is probably not the best guy to draft in the 1st round. Even if he played CB last year, I still prefer Carlos over Marlin.

htismaqe
04-12-2005, 11:32 AM
Yes I have, and he may not be a safety, but he did play safety last year. Like it or not, that is probably not the best guy to draft in the 1st round. Even if he played CB last year, I still prefer Carlos over Marlin.

He played safety last year because the team NEEDED HIM TO, not because of some flaw in his game.

Also, the title of the thread is about trading down - of course, you'd take Rogers over Jackson at 15. But we're talking about TRADING DOWN.

Coogs
04-12-2005, 11:34 AM
Philly has no need to trade up. All of their starters are in place. They are drafting for depth. They are not in a position where they have to give up picks to move up.

Then why do we keep hearing that Philly may try and move up. And that is just not from this BB, but from the draft "experts".

whoman69
04-12-2005, 11:34 AM
I have to disagree with the trade down scenario. We have a chance to get a very good players at 15 in Carlos Rogers. Why trade down to get two lesser players? If Rolle and Rogers are not there, then it makes sense to trade down, but only then.

Tribal Warfare
04-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Bad idea this year to trade down . The talent pool is very weak

Bowser
04-12-2005, 01:00 PM
I have to disagree with the trade down scenario. We have a chance to get a very good players at 15 in Carlos Rogers. Why trade down to get two lesser players? If Rolle and Rogers are not there, then it makes sense to trade down, but only then.

The only real reason to trade down would be to ensure that we could land Surtain, which imo is not a bad idea.

beer bacon
04-12-2005, 01:05 PM
It appears that most mock's have the Chiefs selecting Carlos Rogers at #15 & going Kevin Burnett at #46 but "what if" the Chiefs can trade down with Philly(31 & 35) for their pick? That would give the Chiefs the 31st, 35th & 46th picks & allow them to get 3 pretty good selections?

Marlin Jackson
Barrett Ruud
Roddy White

That would be alright. Of course it would suck if we drafted a WR. That would be really idiotic with all the holes and lack of depth we have on defense.

Bad idea this year to trade down . The talent pool is very weak

From what I have read the talent pool is weak at the top but it is a pretty deep draft.

Tribal Warfare
04-12-2005, 01:06 PM
The only real reason to trade down would be to ensure that we could land Surtain, which imo is not a bad idea.

hell we can surtain anyway, and still have an option to trade up

eazyb81
04-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Also, the title of the thread is about trading down - of course, you'd take Rogers over Jackson at 15. But we're talking about TRADING DOWN.

Exactly, that is why I am saying no to trading down. We need quality, not quantity, trading down would be stupid at this point.

BigChiefFan
04-12-2005, 01:08 PM
I think trading down in the first round is a bad idea. WHY you may ask? The answer is because we need PLAYMAKERS. We have an opportunity this year to have a selection of one of the best defenders coming out of college at 15. It is projected that 2 QBs, at least 2 HBs, and at least 1 WR will all go before we pick at 15. That gives us the prospect of landing one Hell of an impact player at 15.

On trading down, I've said this numerous times, so I will now scream it...USE OUR 2ND ROUNDER TO TRADE DOWN WITH AND SEND ONE OF THE NEWLY ACQUIRED PICKS FOR SURTAIN. There is absolutely no reason to even give the first rounder a second thought, when it comes to Surtain because we can still attain that trade and pick at 15. USE THE 2ND ROUNDER TO TRADE DOWN AND STILL ACQUIRE SURTAIN. Stay put at 15.

matts22
04-12-2005, 01:26 PM
I think trading down in the first round is a bad idea. WHY you may ask? The answer is because we need PLAYMAKERS. We have an opportunity this year to have a selection of one of the best defenders coming out of college at 15. It is projected that 2 QBs, at least 2 HBs, and at least 1 WR will all go before we pick at 15. That gives us the prospect of landing one Hell of an impact player at 15.

On trading down, I've said this numerous times, so I will now scream it...USE OUR 2ND ROUNDER TO TRADE DOWN WITH AND SEND ONE OF THE NEWLY ACQUIRED PICKS FOR SURTAIN. There is absolutely no reason to even give the first rounder a second thought, when it comes to Surtain because we can still attain that trade and pick at 15. USE THE 2ND ROUNDER TO TRADE DOWN AND STILL ACQUIRE SURTAIN. Stay put at 15.

Agreed.

Or, if by some chance Miami will accept any first day pick, I would just talk to Miami before our Comp. pick and take whoever they want. Then just trade them straight up for Surtain, possibly throwing in another later pick.

Mr. Laz
04-12-2005, 01:29 PM
trade up, trade down :shrug:

whatever it takes to get the guys they think will improve the team.

but they better be right :mad:

Chiefnj
04-12-2005, 01:33 PM
If the option is do I want Rogers and Burnett, or Jackson, Ruud and White, I'd opt for the latter.

Jackson didn't play safety last year. He was a corner his senior, sophomore and freshman years. He was moved to Safety his JUNIOR year because Michigan's opponents stopped throwing the ball his way and the coach though he could shut down a larger portion of the field playing safety. It wasn't a demotion.

eazyb81
04-12-2005, 01:42 PM
If the option is do I want Rogers and Burnett, or Jackson, Ruud and White, I'd opt for the latter.

Jackson didn't play safety last year. He was a corner his senior, sophomore and freshman years. He was moved to Safety his JUNIOR year because Michigan's opponents stopped throwing the ball his way and the coach though he could shut down a larger portion of the field playing safety. It wasn't a demotion.

Why do you want Ruud? Do you think he can move to OLB? I think it would be a waste to draft a backup MLB in the 2nd round.

whoman69
04-12-2005, 01:43 PM
I don't believe the two will be related. As draft day nears, the Dolphins will come to their senses and see that they cannot grow as a team with Surtain still on the roster and that the most they can hope to get for Surtain will come from us in the form of a 4th round pick and a conditional pick next year.

milkman
04-12-2005, 07:27 PM

I would think that if you had actually watched him, or read scouting reports, you'd know this.

milkman
04-12-2005, 07:33 PM

Marlin Jackson
Barrett Ruud
Roddy White

I'd like this tradedown scenario.
I've only been pimping a tradedown with Philly in this forum for about a month, thinking that the one position they'd really like to upgarde in the draft would be the #2 WR, and that they would want a shot at one of the top 3 on the draft board.

Edwards and Williams will probabbly be gone, but Claton should be there when we're sitting on the clock.

Of course I want Marlin Jackson, Daryl Blackstock and Patrick Surtain in my draft day trade scenario.

Nightfyre
04-12-2005, 07:39 PM
I think we should trade all this years picks for next years picks. The draft cant really get much worse than it is this year and we could accumulate more picks.

edit: I guess I dont really think this, but it was worth looking at as an option...

Logical
04-12-2005, 07:55 PM
NO00000000

on trading down

the Talking Can
04-12-2005, 08:01 PM
man, it would tough to trade down with Rodgers on the board...that pick just makes too much sense, I could see trading down 4-5 spots, maybe, and picking up pollack or Jackson...fark, I really have no clue

milkman
04-12-2005, 08:02 PM
NO00000000

on trading down

Are you sure?
:hmmm: :)

Chiefnj
04-12-2005, 10:05 PM
Why do you want Ruud? Do you think he can move to OLB? I think it would be a waste to draft a backup MLB in the 2nd round.

I'd like Ruud because IMO the Chiefs need a MLB. Bell was popular in Pittsburgh his rookie year because of his ability to get to the QB and crash the line of scrimmage. He was technically an inside linebacker, but his forte was getting in the backfield and pounding the QB. You can do that with an inside linebacker in a 3-4. But, in a 4-3 the middle linebacker isn't going to get sacks. His duties will be different. I think to best use Bell's talents he should be moved to the SAM. If you get a decent MLB you can move him. If you keep the same crap you're forced to play Bell in the middle and not get maximum impact out of him.

C-Mac
04-12-2005, 11:22 PM
I want Matt Jones in the early 2nd

I wouldnt be surprised if he goes in the first round. If he was available on some second round pick we may have.......wow,I wouldnt want to make that decision. He will be a heck of player for some team.
:thumb:

TEX
04-13-2005, 12:18 AM
NO00000000

on trading down

:clap: :clap: :clap:

KChiefs1
04-13-2005, 08:10 AM
I'd like this tradedown scenario.
I've only been pimping a tradedown with Philly in this forum for about a month, thinking that the one position they'd really like to upgarde in the draft would be the #2 WR, and that they would want a shot at one of the top 3 on the draft board.

Edwards and Williams will probabbly be gone, but Claton should be there when we're sitting on the clock.

Of course I want Marlin Jackson, Daryl Blackstock and Patrick Surtain in my draft day trade scenario.

You could have Jackson, Blackstock & Surtain along with the Chiefs 46th pick in my scenario too. I'd have to believe that the Chiefs would probably use that pick on a WR after getting defense with the 31st & 35th picks though. No way Clayton will be there at #46 though. I think by trading down you could end up with:

Marlin Jackson
Darryl Blackstock or Ruud
Roddy White or another WR
Patrick Surtain

Of course, Rogers is supposed to be the better CB, but Marlin Jackson could be had at #31 I believe.

Just stuff to think about BEFORE the draft.

ct
04-13-2005, 09:00 AM

A WR like Mark Clayton might get their attention. I do agree it's too much to get both 31 and 35, but we could get 31 and they're own 2nd round pick + later picks.

I'm starting to move into the trade down camp, but would rather move only 5-10 spots, picking up a 3rd/2nd, depending how far we go.

Move down 7-10 spots, p/up a late 2nd.
1st(around 22-25) - DE David Pollack/OLB Darryl Blackstock/CB Carlos Rogers(if available)
2nd(our own) - CB Marlin Jackson/Justin Miller/Corey Webster or OLB maybe Blackstock falls this far?
2nd(via trade) - DE Justin Tuck, maybe a WR?

ct
04-13-2005, 09:04 AM
Agreed.

Or, if by some chance Miami will accept any first day pick, I would just talk to Miami before our Comp. pick and take whoever they want. Then just trade them straight up for Surtain, possibly throwing in another later pick.

This might be the best idea I've heard on the Surtain topic.

Also like the idea of trading our 2nd round pick, move down in the 3rd, p/up another 3rd.

Most draftniks are saying this is a weak draft at the top, but quite deep in the middle rounds.