PDA

View Full Version : So I was burglarized yesterday...

Ecto-I
04-12-2005, 12:51 PM
I was gone for an hour and come home to find my ipod, two laptops (one of which was TWO WEEKS OLD), and my backpack with all of my school supplies gone. My roommated also lost his whole DVD collection as well. I am pretty f***ing pissed to say the least. Seriously, the cops probably aren't gonna find anything, I have not renters insurance (which I'm getting tomorrow), and as a college student, its going to be hard to replace this stuff. You guys know of any loopholes in insurance where I could at least get some money back? Well, thanks for letting me vent, and I'll check back from a school computer.

Bowser
04-12-2005, 12:56 PM
*understatement alert*

That sucks!

*end alert*

Hope you can recoup, if not regain, your losses. And sorry, I have no info on insurance matters.

Phobia
04-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Bummer, dude. I think you're screwed unless you're lucky enough to find the stuff. There aren't insurance loopholes unless you're a dishonest person.

MOhillbilly
04-12-2005, 12:57 PM
first time my home was robed i retrived my own property.
When i asked the cop for help he told me " what do you want me to do?"

the second time my dogs fired up and i think spooked them cause they didnt get much (25 dogs will do that) anyway they did a drug bust and and one guys had my pistol on him.
still never got my chainsaw or tool box back.
IMO thieves should be beaten w/ rubber hoses. society is FAR to easy on them.

Mile High Mania
04-12-2005, 01:22 PM
first time my home was robed i retrived my own property.
When i asked the cop for help he told me " what do you want me to do?"

the second time my dogs fired up and i think spooked them cause they didnt get much (25 dogs will do that) anyway they did a drug bust and and one guys had my pistol on him.
still never got my chainsaw or tool box back.
IMO thieves should be beaten w/ rubber hoses. society is FAR to easy on them.

You live in a kennel... 25 dogs? Damn.

Ninjaman
04-12-2005, 01:25 PM
It's someone in your building.

BIG_DADDY
04-12-2005, 01:25 PM
You in a dorm?

Rain Man
04-12-2005, 01:26 PM
It's someone in your building.

Yep. Someone knew you were leaving. Go to each apartment and ask them if they saw anything. See if anyone's nervous, or perhaps has your laptop on their kitchen table.

CosmicPal
04-12-2005, 01:28 PM
Kids are fuggen stupid.

I had the same thing happen to me in college only it was my shotgun and some electronics.

I discovered who did it a few days later. It wasn't hard. Trust me, they never stole from anyone on campus again after that.

Rain Man
04-12-2005, 01:28 PM
Hey, did you pay for the new laptop by credit card? Some credit cards now offer free theft replacement insurance. Maybe it's covered.

Check out your credit card terms before you ask, though. Don't call them and ask if they provide theft or loss insurance; check, and if you've got it, call and tell them you need to make a claim.

badgirl
04-12-2005, 01:30 PM
couple of years ago we lived in some apts. and they had a manientce man, my daughter had gotten a new lap top for xmas that year from her dad with a nice carrying case, a all in one fax, print,scanner, someone came in just took her lap top and carriying case, no break-in either, they had a key, the mantience man had left a not on the table saying he had been in the apt earlier that week, he was a meth head, so we all figure he took it but could never prove it.

duncan_idaho
04-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Do you parents have home insurance with state farm? supposedly, as long as I'm claimed as a dependent by them, I receive 10% of their home insurance theft protection...

So if your parents policy is $50k, you would at least have enough coverage to cover your laptops...

stumppy
04-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Do you parents have home insurance with state farm? supposedly, as long as I'm claimed as a dependent by them, I receive 10% of their home insurance theft protection...

So if your parents policy is $50k, you would at least have enough coverage to cover your laptops...

Their homeowners ins. might also extend to you as a resident of the household (since you're still in school) and cover your possesions as if they were stolen from home.

Iowanian
04-12-2005, 01:53 PM
Go door to door.........like mentioned....Someone DID it or knows who did. Let the word be known that the guilty party is one dead mofo.

When you find them.............If you can't do it.....Get a friend or two and beat the living shit out of them. If you're in a college town.......check the pawn shops in your town or in nearby towns.....Thieves are lazy.

go bowe
04-12-2005, 02:59 PM
Go door to door.........like mentioned....Someone DID it or knows who did. Let the word be known that the guilty party is one dead mofo.

When you find them.............If you can't do it.....Get a friend or two and beat the living shit out of them. If you're in a college town.......check the pawn shops in your town or in nearby towns.....Thieves are lazy.sounds like someone speaking from personal experience... :harumph:

seriously, though, the part about the pawn shops is damned good advice... :thumb:

Iowanian
04-12-2005, 03:03 PM
personal experience?

If catching up with a couple of thieves at a later time is experience, then yeah.

If you're in a small town, check pawn shops in the closest larger town within 20-30 miles...........or watch for your stuff on ebay.

If I was a crook....thats where i'd unload stuff.

Simplex3
04-12-2005, 03:14 PM
The pawn shop bit really only helps if you have the serial numbers, and then it only helps if the guy is stand up. If you call around immediately and tell the pawn shop guys that you have the serial numbers and models they may tell the guy to take a walk when he shows up (they don't want any heat).

Your best bet might be to call around to the pawn shops asking if they have one, MAYBE two of the items. If you start getting specific they'll probably be on to you and tell you they don't have it. If they say "sure I just got one" then go down there to see it. If it's yours, call the cops right then and there, don't leave or let your stuff out of you hand until they get there.

I agree, though. This was someone that you knew. They probably live in your building, and they have most likely been in your place before. If they got all of the cords and accessories too then they've been there recently. You also need to think about what can be seen from outside your door and who's been around recently to see in when you opened up.

stumppy
04-12-2005, 03:20 PM
personal experience?

If catching up with a couple of thieves at a later time is experience, then yeah.

If you're in a small town, check pawn shops in the closest larger town within 20-30 miles...........or watch for your stuff on ebay.

If I was a crook....thats where i'd unload stuff.

Either that or the sorry SOB is/has traded the stuff for drugs. If thats the case the only way you'll ever see your stuff again is if the dealer gets popped. Be sure and file a police report with all the serial numbers. A lot of dealers get busted for recieving stolen property. You might get lucky..

one of these days.:shrug:

MOhillbilly
04-12-2005, 03:20 PM
id go straight to the dealers and the ones w/ a real problem.
If you have the muscle its the best option.

CosmicPal
04-12-2005, 03:35 PM
The pawn shop bit really only helps if you have the serial numbers, and then it only helps if the guy is stand up.

Excellent point.

And Ecto, I don't know what town you live in, but if you live in a major US city, I would not hesitate to spend the next few days watching the For Sale board on Craigslist.org in your city.

http://www.craigslist.org

Another thing is to check with E-bay: I have a friend of mine who had his mountain bike stolen last summer and wouldn't you know it- a couple of days later, he found it on E-Bay. He placed a bid, contacted E-bay, and the local police.

A few days later he got his bike back, and the seller was arrested. It pays sometimes to be your own detective.

Good luck.

eazyb81
04-12-2005, 06:43 PM
I agree, though. This was someone that you knew. They probably live in your building, and they have most likely been in your place before. If they got all of the cords and accessories too then they've been there recently. You also need to think about what can be seen from outside your door and who's been around recently to see in when you opened up.

This info is so true. It would help if you gave more info, but college students don't usually break into a random person's house not knowing what is there. They are taking a big risk but they know there will be a big reward. I GUARANTEE you know this person and they have been inside your house/apartment recently. If you take some time to think about it, you will figure out who did it. Then it's on like Donkey Kong. Keep us updated.

Coach
04-12-2005, 06:45 PM
Also might I add to prevent future theft is to at least engrave your name or something onto those laptops so that way that you'r name is on that.

Frazod
04-12-2005, 07:04 PM
BTW, here's something to consider - how well do you know your roommate? He could have taken your shit and simply stashed his DVDs elsewhere, until, perhaps, some point in the future when you two are no longer roommates. If he only got hit for a few movies, and you got hit for several thousand dollars worth of computer stuff... seriously, think about it. This is the one person who has total access to the room and knows when you're not in it.

If you're not familiar with Ockham's Razor, maybe you should be.

eazyb81
04-12-2005, 07:05 PM
BTW, here's something to consider - how well do you know your roommate? He could have taken your shit and simply stashed his DVDs elsewhere, until, perhaps, some point in the future when you two are no longer roommates. If he only got hit for a few movies, and you got hit for several thousand dollars worth of computer stuff... seriously, think about it. This is the one person who has total access to the room and knows when you're not in it.

If you're not familiar with Ockham's Razor, maybe you should be.

oooh, good point.

where's The Commish when you need him?

Phobia
04-12-2005, 07:23 PM
Want a free Ipod?

PM me if you have any questions.

Damn - you have a lot of nerve.

WebGem
04-12-2005, 07:33 PM
Damn - you have a lot of nerve.
ROFL

KCChiefsMan
04-12-2005, 07:42 PM
I was about 21 when my house got robbed, I got most of my stuff back through my mom's home owners insurance`, check into that

Skip Towne
04-12-2005, 07:59 PM
Did both you and your roomie leave with the door unlocked? Sounds fishy, look hard at the roommate. Especially since his loss was so light.

Iowanian
04-12-2005, 08:02 PM
Skips right...........You'd better hit your roomate in the adams apple with a mag light to make sure he didn't do it.

Phobia
04-12-2005, 09:42 PM
Did both you and your roomie leave with the door unlocked? Sounds fishy, look hard at the roommate. Especially since his loss was so light.

Roomie was my first guess. Did he have anything expensive that was unmolested?

Rain Man
04-12-2005, 10:16 PM
Excellent point.

And Ecto, I don't know what town you live in, but if you live in a major US city, I would not hesitate to spend the next few days watching the For Sale board on Craigslist.org in your city.

http://www.craigslist.org

Another thing is to check with E-bay: I have a friend of mine who had his mountain bike stolen last summer and wouldn't you know it- a couple of days later, he found it on E-Bay. He placed a bid, contacted E-bay, and the local police.

A few days later he got his bike back, and the seller was arrested. It pays sometimes to be your own detective.

Good luck.

Oh, sure. Now you offer this advice.

Inspector
04-12-2005, 10:42 PM
Damn man, I hate thieves.

That sucks. Hope you catch the loser who did this.

paulgkc
04-12-2005, 10:48 PM
Just out of curiousity, where do you go to school?

That really sucks man, I'm sorry. Keep us updated on what you do to the guy once you find him- should be interesting.

Count Alex's Losses
04-12-2005, 10:49 PM
Have you ruled out the possiblity of ghosts?

KCWolfman
04-12-2005, 11:01 PM
Skips right...........You'd better hit your roomate in the adams apple with a mag light to make sure he didn't do it.
Sounds like my family growing up

Ecto-I
04-13-2005, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the tips everyone. So here's the story...

Just for the setup, I go to school at Calpoly - San Luis Obispo and live in a condo off campus in what I thought is a relatively quiet area three miles from campus.

I come home from school around 1:00 in the afternoon and putz around for about an hour. I leave a little before 2:00 to run some errands and return home at 3:00. At this point I can't get in the house because the dead bolt is locked (I only locked the knob and niether me nor my roommate have key to the deadbolt.) I go around back to maybe climb up to the balcony but I find the back sliding door unlocked and slightly open. I look around and everything seems OK until I go upstairs and find that my room has been somewhat ransacked. Gone are my old and new laptops, ipod, backpack, and graphing calculator. I frantically call my roommate who is at work all day and he rushes home. I then call the cops and Mom.

These things I am almost sure of:
1.) Not my roommate. I know this guy pretty well and he would never do anything like this.
2.) None of my friends. After close examination, I hang out with a pretty clean group, and we really don't have people over here alot.

Possiblities:
1. Previous tenants. According to my roommate, one of the guys who lived here before was pretty sketchy

2. Neighbors. Though highly doubtful. The condominium complex where I live is only like 25% college students and the rest are regular working or retired citizens.

3. Transients -likely. we do have a kind of wooded creek area behind our place which would provide sneaking access. Also they stole 3 jars of my roommates loose change which would indicate they are desperate for money.

All I know is this freakin sucks. I feel pretty violated in that some punks were all up in my freakin stuff. The cops probably won't do jack and my only hope is that my mom's homeowners insurance will come through.

Thanks again for the words of encouragement and tips.

Frazod
04-13-2005, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the tips everyone. So here's the story...

Just for the setup, I go to school at Calpoly - San Luis Obispo and live in a condo off campus in what I thought is a relatively quiet area three miles from campus.

I come home from school around 1:00 in the afternoon and putz around for about an hour. I leave a little before 2:00 to run some errands and return home at 3:00. At this point I can't get in the house because the dead bolt is locked (I only locked the knob and niether me nor my roommate have key to the deadbolt.) I go around back to maybe climb up to the balcony but I find the back sliding door unlocked and slightly open. I look around and everything seems OK until I go upstairs and find that my room has been somewhat ransacked. Gone are my old and new laptops, ipod, backpack, and graphing calculator. I frantically call my roommate who is at work all day and he rushes home. I then call the cops and Mom.

These things I am almost sure of:
1.) Not my roommate. I know this guy pretty well and he would never do anything like this.
2.) None of my friends. After close examination, I hang out with a pretty clean group, and we really don't have people over here alot.

Possiblities:
1. Previous tenants. According to my roommate, one of the guys who lived here before was pretty sketchy

2. Neighbors. Though highly doubtful. The condominium complex where I live is only like 25% college students and the rest are regular working or retired citizens.

3. Transients -likely. we do have a kind of wooded creek area behind our place which would provide sneaking access. Also they stole 3 jars of my roommates loose change which would indicate they are desperate for money.

All I know is this freakin sucks. I feel pretty violated in that some punks were all up in my freakin stuff. The cops probably won't do jack and my only hope is that my mom's homeowners insurance will come through.

Thanks again for the words of encouragement and tips.

I'm glad that it sounds like it defintely isn't your roommate. That would have been the worst possible outcome.

I suggest you get the locks changed. That should be something your landlord will do in light of what happened, unless he's a total prick.

Good luck with the insurance. But follow through with getting your own.

Maybe you'll get lucky and the douche cops will actually find your stuff between doughnut runs and writing tickets. It does happen occasionally.

Spicy McHaggis
04-13-2005, 01:33 AM
I go to school at Calpoly

What do you think about Beck?

Demonpenz
04-13-2005, 05:07 AM
at my company i know we can never NOT let you file a claim. We will take the claim decide if coverage is applicable, then if it is decide to either assignt it to the field or office. Make sure your buddy tries to file a claim with his mom or dads insurance too

ZootedGranny
04-13-2005, 05:10 AM
I've only been Hamburglarized, so in a sense I'm lucky. Unfortunately, the culprits were Donald Willis & Willie Roaf, so we're talking a major heist here.

Skip Towne
04-13-2005, 07:36 AM
So how did the thieves gain entry? Was the sliding glass door locked when you left?

tomahawk kid
04-13-2005, 07:42 AM
So how did the thieves gain entry? Was the sliding glass door locked when you left?

That's what I was wondering.

The deadbolt being locked sticks out to me. I would guess that they came in the front (previous tenant) and deadbolted the door since they knew you didn't have the key (previous tenant).

That way they would have time to get our via the sliding glass door once they heard you trying to get in.

By the time you figured out something was wrong and went around back, they would be long gone.

I'd go with the previous tenant theory. I'd file a police report and see if they can get any info on the guy from the landlord.

Saulbadguy
04-13-2005, 07:43 AM
That sucks.

Moral of the story...always get renters insurance, no matter what. Its cheap.

Ecto-I
04-13-2005, 06:10 PM
That sucks.

No kidding. I'm getting my renters insurance tomorrow. The thieves actually came in through the back window. They took of the bug screen and apparently my roommate left it about an inch or so open. They probably escaped through the back sliding door while I was messing with the deadbolt out front.

On another note, insurance agencies take so damn long to do anything! This is like the third day and they still haven't given a definate answer as to whether or not I'm covered. AAAHHH!

Dave Lane
04-13-2005, 06:26 PM
I was gone for an hour and come home to find my ipod, two laptops (one of which was TWO WEEKS OLD), and my backpack with all of my school supplies gone. My roommated also lost his whole DVD collection as well. I am pretty f***ing pissed to say the least. Seriously, the cops probably aren't gonna find anything, I have not renters insurance (which I'm getting tomorrow), and as a college student, its going to be hard to replace this stuff. You guys know of any loopholes in insurance where I could at least get some money back? Well, thanks for letting me vent, and I'll check back from a school computer.

Don't attend schools in Missouri.

Dave

CosmicPal
04-13-2005, 06:33 PM
That sucks.

The renter's insurance IS cheap. The cheapest thing to do is put a BEWARE OF DOG sign on the door or window. The more expensive thing to do is to actually get a dog.

Skip Towne
04-13-2005, 06:53 PM
The renter's insurance IS cheap. The cheapest thing to do is put a BEWARE OF DOG sign on the door or window. The more expensive thing to do is to actually get a dog.
If you live in a really bad neighborhood you might be able to get an attack bear from Rain Man.

Saulbadguy
04-13-2005, 07:21 PM
No kidding. I'm getting my renters insurance tomorrow. The thieves actually came in through the back window. They took of the bug screen and apparently my roommate left it about an inch or so open. They probably escaped through the back sliding door while I was messing with the deadbolt out front.

On another note, insurance agencies take so damn long to do anything! This is like the third day and they still haven't given a definate answer as to whether or not I'm covered. AAAHHH!
Uh...did you tell them your place was just broken in to?

OmahaChief
04-13-2005, 08:58 PM
Don't attend schools in Missouri.

Dave

I agree becuase you will be forever hounded by kids that go to school in Kansas for the correct answers to all homework and tests.