PDA

View Full Version : Home inspection

Hoover
04-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Alright. As y'all know I got an agreement on the house. I'm a good negotiator when it comes to money, so getting a deal done was something I was really comfortable with. The financing is all in place, and now I have a home inspection on Friday afternoon.

What should I be looking for to save me more money during the inspection. Any tips?

Thanks for the help!

ptlyon
04-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Holes in the roof, cracked foundation, etc...

Amnorix
04-12-2005, 01:11 PM
There's two general areas you're looking at in connection with the inspection:

1. Potential show stoppers. This is the stuff that might make the closing not happen, either because you'll "ruuuun awaaaaay!!!" or you'll want/need so much money the sellers will tell you to take a hike. These general areas are (1) termite issues, (2) foundation issues, (3) roof issues.

2. Give me a few bucks. These are all the lesser items that your inspector might find. Most of them will involve minor or ancillary stuff that you can negotiate out with the seller, or ignore as just not being that important an issue. These areas are (1) everything I didn't list above. :)

There's just so many possibilities its worthless to speculate. I'm just glad you're getting an inspection. People who don't are just dumb. :shake:

PastorMikH
04-12-2005, 01:12 PM
I'd make sure all the appliances/furnace/AC/hot water heater/etc are in proper working order as well as look at the foundation and roof - on the roof, if it is regular shingles, make sure the shingles are pliable. If they are brittle, it won't be long before they need replaced.

KingPriest2
04-12-2005, 01:12 PM
just shop around.

Usually they are set fees They range from $225 to $300

Hoover
04-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Before we made an offer I brought in a friend of mine who does foundation work, he thought it looked really good. The roof is tile, I'm interested in getting in the atic and looking at it from below. I looked up there before, but I didn't climb up there.

The soffit needs to be replaced an they are already paying for those improvements.

The fee for the inspection is 235 which I didn't think was too bad.

Skip Towne
04-12-2005, 01:19 PM
So you're a tough sob of a negotiator? Where have I heard that before?

Hoover
04-12-2005, 01:32 PM
So you're a tough sob of a negotiator? Where have I heard that before?
Well, I am Rufus Dawes Jr. so you know who my father is correct?