PDA

View Full Version : What would you endure to get parity in baseball?

alnorth
04-12-2005, 01:00 PM
I know the current CBA still has a ways to go, but well eventually face this situation and I'm a little curious.

What is the MOST you would be willing to put up with, if at the end it meant good revenue sharing, some kind of salary cap or luxery tax scheme that operated like a cap, that all meant that the Royals could compete? (allowing us to start blaming the GM and owner if we sucked like with the Chiefs)

Bowser
04-12-2005, 01:02 PM
Are you kidding? Kansas City fans would not be the ones who would have to suffer through much. We're already bottomed out. It would be teams like the Yanks, Dodgers, and Red Sox that would suffer.

*edit

Baseball needs a hard salary cap, plain and simple.

Mr. Laz
04-12-2005, 01:04 PM
lock 'em all out

if they don't agree to a complete salary cap then fire them all and start over.

promote triple A guys and start drafting new guys.

i'd settle for a few years of minor league baseball for long term stability/parity in the major leagues.

ChiefsCountry
04-12-2005, 01:18 PM
i'd settle for a few years of minor league baseball for long term stability/parity in the major leagues.

well we already have that :deevee:

I could live with a strike one more time if they put a salary cap in, I could live with about an 80 million cap. That would be about right.

eazyb81
04-12-2005, 01:21 PM
What would your idea of parity be?

A hard salary cap wouldn't really help the Royals, it would just hurt the large-market teams. Additional revenue sharing (50%, up from the current 20%) would be much more beneficial to the small-market teams. A salary cap would be nice, but it would be pointless without additional revenue sharing.

To answer the question, I would be willing to wait 2 or more years without seeing a baseball game to have parity back in baseball.

Amnorix
04-12-2005, 01:22 PM
I've mostly lost interest in baseball for a number of reasons, including but not limited to the parity problems.

Even though the total LACK of parity favors my Boston Red Sox, I'd applaud whatever it took to get parity. The sport is a complete joke as it currently stands. The Red Sox and Yankees EACH have payrolls higher than the COMBINED payrolls of the other 3 teams in the AL East (Toronto, Baltimore, Tampa Bay). That's absurd.

Amnorix
04-12-2005, 01:24 PM
What would your idea of parity be?

A hard salary cap wouldn't really help the Royals, it would just hurt the large-market teams. Additional revenue sharing (50%, up from the current 20%) would be much more beneficial to the small-market teams. A salary cap would be nice, but it would be pointless without additional revenue sharing.

Revenue sharing.

Salary cap AND floor, to limit "pocketing" of money from revenue sharing.

Mr. Laz
04-12-2005, 01:26 PM
A hard salary cap wouldn't really help the Royals, it would just hurt the large-market teams..
sure a hard cap would help the royals BY HURTING THE large market teams.

the large market teams would no longer be able to just buy any player they wanted, which would open up more players for teams like the royals

i would also shorten the benches for the money teams which would also bolster the royals roster.

i would also give the small market teams a concrete number to shoot for so they would know what they need to be competitive.

that said ... additional profit sharing along with a salary cap with be ideal.

like the NFL ... but with more signing bonus limitations

Woodrow Call
04-12-2005, 01:27 PM
I would easily give up 2 seasons of baseball for a chance to compete every year. The way I see it the Royals and their fans have already had to give up the past 12 seasons and plenty more seasons to come because of the current system.

beavis
04-12-2005, 01:36 PM
Revenue sharing.

Salary cap AND floor, to limit "pocketing" of money from revenue sharing.
I like that idea too. Even though it would prevent teams from making full fledged youth movements like the Royals this year.

For the life of me, I still don't understand why the owners look at each other as competitors (financially speaking) rather than partners. If they would operate MLB more like a single business entity, it'd be better for everyone, including NY and Boston. Could you imagine the extra interest that would be generated across the country if half the teams didn't know they were eliminated from contention before the season started?

redbrian
04-12-2005, 01:49 PM
I donít remember who came up with this idea or the exact specifics but itís the best plan I have ever heard of.

You take the worth of every ball club in MLB and make it the same. You do this by setting a slandered value of X dollars (somewhere in the middle of the ball club values).

You then make all of the clubs with values under this pony up to the plate with the money to make their clubs of that value. The money is thrown into a pot and divided up by the clubs over that value (bringing their value down to X).

You then do a system similar to Football with a cap, marketing and revenue sharing.

Never happen because certain owners do not want parity, they think the system is fine as it is.

The other and more likely plan, would be for the mid to small market teams to pull out and start their own league, let the few remaining fat cats sink in their own juices.

whoman69
04-12-2005, 01:54 PM
You certainly can't blame David Glass for the Royals not being able to compete on a scale of the top teams like the Yankees and Red Sox. You can't expect anyone, no matter how rich they are, to sink $75-100 million out of their own pocket to make the team competitive. Small market teams must stick to their guns and refuse to play large market teams until they agree to significant revenue sharing at a cost to them of a salary cap and minimum. The Yankees can't make money playing intrasquad games and the union can't squabble if a third of the teams refuse to take the field.

Mr. Laz
04-12-2005, 03:08 PM
Never happen because certain owners do not want parity, they think the system is fine as it is
you've been drinking too much MLBPA kook-aid

the players association is by far the bigger problem to baseball parity than the owners.

the players association is too strong and needs to be pimp-slapped back down to earth.

beavis
04-12-2005, 03:24 PM
you've been drinking too much MLBPA kook-aid

the players association is by far the bigger problem to baseball parity than the owners.

the players association is too strong and needs to be pimp-slapped back down to earth.
Yeah, the players are a bunch of punks, but I blame the owners almost as much as I blame them, just for the fact that they continuously caved to their demands for so many years. This problem never should have gotten to this point.

Mr. Laz
04-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Yeah, the players are a bunch of punks, but I blame the owners almost as much as I blame them, just for the fact that they continuously caved to their demands for so many years. This problem never should have gotten to this point.

ok... i guess if you are going to count being weak possies then the owners are equal to the players in being problematic. :p

Calcountry
04-12-2005, 03:58 PM
I just want to be entertained, thats all. No loyalty to any team. I root for the A's soley from the standpoint that it is more entertaining to do so. The object is to win after all.

It is three hours of chill, scopin hot chicks, sippin beer and munching krout dogs. Oh, and the baseball is cool too.

If the home team don't win its a shame, but thats it. Its not the end of the world.

Thig Lyfe
04-12-2005, 04:00 PM
Baseball needs a hard salary cap, plain and simple.

Yep.

cmh6476
04-12-2005, 04:55 PM
this is a hoser poll. Some of us would watch the royals no matter ho bad it got! :mad:

this is our year dammit#@

Mr. Laz
04-12-2005, 04:58 PM
this is a hoser poll. Some of us would watch the royals no matter ho bad it got! :mad:

http://www.evilmonkey.tv/downloads/koolaid.gif

cmh6476
04-12-2005, 04:59 PM
where's the blue kool-aid? :(

Dayze
04-12-2005, 05:15 PM
i'd give up BB for the rest of my life if it never returns.

Logical
04-12-2005, 06:17 PM

We all feel sorry for you, hope you get well.