PDA

View Full Version : What are your 3 favorite SONGS of all time?

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-12-2005, 03:27 PM
... and you guys thought the band question was a tough.

I know, I know... there are waaayyyyyy tooooo maaaannnny to name just three. But if you had to...which you do...... name three songs that you could never get tired of..... three songs that mean something to you like few other songs....something that you're always excited to hear....or that always makes you feel good. Three songs that define music for you.

For me...

1. Pride (In the Name of Love) - U2
A brilliantly written and performed song about the life, times and trials of Martin Luther King Jr. The opening guitar had me hooked the first time I heard it.

2. Detroit Rock City - KISS
The perfect mesh of guitar riff, melody and interesting writting. A song based on the true story of a KISS fan who died in a car wreck on his way to a KISS show in Charlotte, NC. It's the perfect song to open a concert with...which they often do...and the perfect song for singing along with at the top of your lungs in the car with the windows down on the way home after the show.

3. I Never Cry - Alice Cooper
An early work of Alice's that unabashidly shows his softer side... while maintaining a perfect rock star cool. This song has helped me through down times and heavy drinking many times.

seclark
04-12-2005, 03:37 PM
"who made who" - ac/dc - cause they rock
"get a haircut and get a real job" - lonesome george t. - same as above
"romeo and juliet" - dire straits - cause i'm f@ckin sensitive too
sec

siberian khatru
04-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Two epic songs that consistently elicit emotional responses from me, even after having listened to them countless times for more than 20 years:

* "Awaken," by Yes, about meeting God, particularly the quiet closing that follows a huge crescendo of organ, choir and steel guitar.

* "Supper's Ready," by Genesis, the end section that builds up to the Apocalypse, with cascading Mellotron and cymbals, followed by the return of Christ to "lead his children home, to take them to the new Jerusalem," ending with a Steve Hackett guitar solo.

Chief Henry
04-12-2005, 03:51 PM
"who made who" - ac/dc - cause they rock
"get a haircut and get a real job" - lonesome george t. - same as above
"romeo and juliet" - dire straits - cause i'm f@ckin sensitive too
sec

Lonesome George will be at the Val Air ball room on May 25.
I'm taking my wife for her birthday. I haven't seen George Thorogood
since my college days.

He did a 50 state tour in 50 consecutive days. We brought him out for two encores too. It was perhaps the best time I've ever had at a concert. Ames, iowa was never the same....... :toast:

Chief Henry
04-12-2005, 03:55 PM
Three Songs.......thats not enough. I've got to many.

But here's 3 that i really love:

1) Cat Scratch Fever.....Ted Nugent
2) Move it on Over......George Thorogood
3) Luckenbach Texas.....Waylon Jennings

This list could go on for ever, as I expect it would for most of you guys.

Baby Lee
04-12-2005, 04:00 PM
Modest Moussourgsky - Pictures at an Exhibition
Pulp - Common People
Guns'N'Roses - Sweet Child O'Mine

If I could pick the version - I'd switch out the Gun'n'R song for Elvis singing Suspicious Minds at the Sands, where he's jumping around, and winks at his backup choir girls and sings "I hope these pants don't split bay-beeee"

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Modest Moussourgsky - Pictures at an Exhibition
Pulp - Common People
Guns'N'Roses - Sweet Child O'Mine

If I could pick the version - I'd switch out the Gun'n'R song for Elvis singing Suspicious Minds at the Sands, where he's jumping around, and winks at his backup choir girls and sings "I hope these pants don't split bay-beeee"
Slash's guitar solo in Sweet Child is one of the best ever imo.

Dayze
04-12-2005, 04:05 PM
"Somebody Get Me a Doctor" - Van Halen

"Flying in a Blue Dream" - Joe Satriani

"Voodoo Child" - Slight Return - Jimi Hendrix (prefer the SRV version)

CosmicPal
04-12-2005, 04:09 PM
2. Detroit Rock City - KISS
A song based on the true story of a KISS fan who died in a car wreck on his way to a KISS show in Charlotte, NC....and the perfect song for singing along with at the top of your lungs in the car with the windows down on the way home after the show.

Whatever you do, don't sing it at the top of your lungs on the way to a Kiss show.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-12-2005, 04:15 PM
Whatever you do, don't sing it at the top of your lungs on the way to a Kiss show.
no shit...... good advice...... :thumb:

DaKCMan AP
04-12-2005, 04:20 PM
"Wish You Were Here" - Pink Floyd

"Hotel California" - Eagles

"Bohemian Rhapsody" - Queen

honorable mention:

"Europa" - Santana

Jenson71
04-12-2005, 04:21 PM
Not a song but the greatest piece of music is Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue.

Anyway, on to the subject...

1. Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands - Bob Dylan
2. Shelter from the Storm - Bob Dylan
3. Buckets of Rain - Bob Dylan

CosmicPal
04-12-2005, 04:34 PM
"Wish You Were Here" - Pink Floyd

One of my faves. :thumb:

Even more so now that I've lived away from home. Listening to it today makes me think of all my loved ones back home...

ChiefsCountry
04-12-2005, 04:48 PM
Here are my top 3 songs overall:
Amarillo by Morning - George Strait
My Best Friend - Tim McGraw
Friends in Low Places - Garth Brooks

But since most of you aren't country fans and I'm not that big into rock but here is my top 3 rock songs:
Enter Sandman - Metallica
Welcome to the Jungle - Guns N Roses
Hells Bells - AC/DC

CosmicPal
04-12-2005, 04:58 PM
"Voodoo Child" - Slight Return - Jimi Hendrix (prefer the SRV version)

Nice call. I too, prefer the SRV cover version, but you gotta love the Hendrix album, Electric Ladyland with the original version of the song on there.

Bob Dole
04-12-2005, 05:02 PM
Bob Dole would have to go with:

Seasons in the Sun - Terry Jacks
Playground in My Mind - Clint Holmes
and
Loving You - Minnie Ripperton

A close runner up would have to be Escape (The Pina Colada Song) - Rupert Holmes

KCWolfman
04-12-2005, 05:06 PM
Bob Dole would have to go with:

Seasons in the Sun - Terry Jacks
Playground in My Mind - Clint Holmes
and
Loving You - Minnie Ripperton

A close runner up would have to be Escape (The Pina Colada Song) - Rupert Holmes
You forgot:

Indiana Wants Me: R. Dean Taylor
Billy, Don't Be a Hero: Bo Donaldson
One Tin Soldier: Coven

Oh, and don't forget your vagisil and summer's eve you left on the coffee table.

Bob Dole
04-12-2005, 05:09 PM
You forgot:

Oh, and don't forget your vagisil and summer's eve you left on the coffee table.

Damn. You're right.

In retrospect, we actually <b>had</b> a legitimate reason to go on killing sprees when we were kids. Gawd there was some crap on the radio.

Chief Henry
04-12-2005, 05:11 PM
You forgot:

Bob dammed Dole is gonna lay some verbal dis-advantage to you boys after he see's you guys messing with him. He's gonna talk about your
momma's and your daddys girl friends. Cant' wait to read that shit.

KCWolfman
04-12-2005, 05:13 PM
Damn. You're right.

In retrospect, we actually <b>had</b> a legitimate reason to go on killing sprees when we were kids. Gawd there was some crap on the radio.
AMEN!!!

When we went into a tower at a Texas University, we KNEW why we went.

whoman69
04-12-2005, 05:18 PM
Cryin'- Roy Orbison
Heard It Thru the Grapevine- Marvin Gaye
The Rose- Bette Midler

Bob Dole
04-12-2005, 05:18 PM
AMEN!!!

When we went into a tower at a Texas University, we KNEW why we went.

Because we got some bad blotter?

KCWolfman
04-12-2005, 05:19 PM
Cryin'- Roy Orbison
Heard It Thru the Grapevine- Marvin Gaye
The Rose- Bette Midler
I remember a Springsteen interview when I was a kid that mentioned he was so haunted by Cryin' that he knew he had to get into music.

Great choice.

As far as Gaye goes, you could choose any one of his tunes and be right.

KCWolfman
04-12-2005, 05:21 PM
Because we got some bad blotter?
We couldn't afford that kind of paper, we just re-used carbon paper over and over again.

KCWolfman
04-12-2005, 05:26 PM
Beer Me - Only the last verse deals with MLK in Pride. The other lines cover:

Jesus Christ (one man betrayed with a kiss)
Jonah (one man washed on an empty beach)
Isaiah (One man come he to justify)

Bono on his religious lyrics:

We've found different ways of expressing it, and recognized the power of the media to manipulate such signs. Maybe we just have to sort of draw our fish in the sand. It's there for people who are interested. It shouldn't be there for people who aren't."

Baby Lee
04-12-2005, 05:26 PM
Mentioning Gaye, I just thought of another - My Lover's Prayer - Otis Redding.

What a great soulful performance, the way he yelps the first word of each line.

WHAT you gonna do tonight
When you need some loving arms to hold you tight
WHAT you gonna do tonight
When you need my heavy voice to tell you good night

Bob Dole
04-12-2005, 05:27 PM
We couldn't afford that kind of paper, we just re-used carbon paper over and over again.

Carbon paper. Oh, the (shitty) memories...

Rausch
04-12-2005, 05:34 PM
No way could I pick just three...

CosmicPal
04-12-2005, 05:38 PM

OK...pick two.

Bob Dole
04-12-2005, 05:39 PM

Pussy.

Rausch
04-12-2005, 05:45 PM
Pussy.

Ok, you hit my "McFly button..."

I'll post three of my favorites:

Black - Pearl Jam
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
Everybody Knows - Concrete Blonde, live on 120 minutes (cover)

Bob Dole
04-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Ok, you hit my "McFly button..."

Black - Pearl Jam

Black rules.

(That's actually the only song Bob Dole has ever sung in public.)

Nzoner
04-12-2005, 05:52 PM
Heard it On The X-ZZ Top

Jungleland-Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band

Long Gone Long-The Rainmakers

Bob Dole
04-12-2005, 05:54 PM
Long Gone Long-The Rainmakers

Steve, Bob and Rich damnit!

(Bob Dole refuses to acknowledge the label mandated name.)

CosmicPal
04-12-2005, 05:55 PM

Black - Pearl Jam

3 excellent choices- I'm impressed.

Uhhh, Bob damned Dole- that's weird- you and I once sang "Black" in public. I don't know about you, but I did it with live musicians on an open mic night at Backstage (I think it was).

Concrete Blonde is one of the most underrated bands- I love that song, Everybody Knows. What you may not know, is that it is a cover of a Leonard Cohen song. Cohen is a brutally enigmatic singer with murderous love songs that'll will make the young girls scream- not for joy, but for complete utter fear.

One of the best shows, and trust CosmicPal here has been to a great many shows; but one of my favorite shows of all time was watching Concrete Blonde at London's in Westport.

Bob Dole
04-12-2005, 06:07 PM
3 excellent choices- I'm impressed.

Uhhh, Bob damned Dole- that's weird- you and I once sang "Black" in public. I don't know about you, but I did it with live musicians on an open mic night at Backstage (I think it was).

Bob Dole has actually done it three times. Once with an acoustic duo and 2 other times with two different bands.

Bob Dole does a great job on songs where you can growl, moan and mumble if you forget the words. :rolleyes:

Fairplay
04-12-2005, 06:08 PM
Killing In The Name - Rage Against the Machine

Metallica - One

Man In The Box - Alice In Chains

FloridaChief
04-12-2005, 06:13 PM
What you may not know, is that it is a cover of a Leonard Cohen song. Cohen is a brutally enigmatic singer with murderous love songs that'll will make the young girls scream- not for joy, but for complete utter fear.

Cosmic nailed it. Cohen's a fav of mine in the singer-songwriter catagory but listening to his stuff can be a brutal, depressing experience as well. Probably the only musician I know of who makes Roger Waters look like the leader of a Saturday night pub singalong...

Baby Lee
04-12-2005, 06:15 PM
Concrete Blonde is one of the most underrated bands- I love that song, Everybody Knows. What you may not know, is that it is a cover of a Leonard Cohen song. Cohen is a brutally enigmatic singer with murderous love songs that'll will make the young girls scream- not for joy, but for complete utter fear.
Doesn't every 'serious artist' go through a LC cover phase?

I think my favorite of his is Jennifer Warne's cover of Joan of Arc. That or Bono's Hallelujah.

MoF, for those not recognizing the name, Cohen's 'Hallelujah' was used at the end of the original Shrek, that time covered by Rufus Wainwright.

Rausch
04-12-2005, 06:20 PM

One of the best shows, and trust CosmicPal here has been to a great many shows; but one of my favorite shows of all time was watching Concrete Blonde at London's in Westport.

Their performance on 120 minutes was just AMAZING. She seemed possessed by by it.

And I love Concrete Blonde. "Tommorow, Wendy"...."Mexican moon"...great stuff.

Leonard Cohen rocks. "Hallelujah" and "The Future" among my favorites. I've really been getting into Rodney Crowell. "Earthbound" and "I Know Love Is All I Need" are amazing, and haunting...

Baby Lee
04-12-2005, 06:24 PM
Their performance on 120 minutes was just AMAZING. She seemed possessed by by it.

Leonard Cohen rocks. "Hallelujah" and "The Future" among my favorites. I've really been getting into Rodney Crowell. "Earthbound" and "I Know Love Is All I Need" are amazing, and haunting...
Have you listened to much Rufus Wainwright? Second generation singer-songwriter [parents are Loudan Wainwright and Kate McGarrigle]? Very much in the lineage of a Cohen.

CosmicPal
04-12-2005, 06:25 PM
Cosmic nailed it. Cohen's a fav of mine in the singer-songwriter catagory but listening to his stuff can be a brutal, depressing experience as well. Probably the only musician I know of who makes Roger Waters look like the leader of a Saturday night pub singalong...

"I've seen the future brother, it is murder....REPENT!"

"Future" is a perfect example of how Cohen can be: If you listen to the lyrics to the song it is an incorrigible and profoundly dark song. But, he does an absolutely magnificent job trying to pull it off as one of the most beautiful songs by enlisting a group of women to sing the chorus proudly as if they too advocate burning a hole in this culture. It's pure brilliance. I guess that would make Leonard Cohen's "Future" one of my faves.

Baby Lee
04-12-2005, 06:27 PM
And you treated my woman to a flake of your life
And when she came back she was nobody’s wife.
Well I see you there with the rose in your teeth
One more thin gypsy thief

CHIEF4EVER
04-12-2005, 06:30 PM
Since I Been Lovin You - Zep
Rocky Mountain Way - Joe Walsh
(Sweet Little Thang) Pride and Joy - Stevie Ray Vaughan (RIP)

CosmicPal
04-12-2005, 06:30 PM

Funny you should say that for I recall the Concrete Blonde show clearly and one of the things about her- was her amazing prescence on the stage.

They did, I'm not kidding you, 4 encores that night at London's. They broke the rules and played past 230AM that night in Westport- they had to pay a fine, but not one person left that bar that night. Everyone stood there and gave them the biggest ovation I've ever seen. Anyways, for their final encore, they did "Tomorrow, Wendy." It was an intimate acoustic version that went on for 15 mins. Absolutely amazing performance. It was all good, man...all good.

Bob Dole
04-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Have you listened to much Rufus Wainwright? Second generation singer-songwriter [parents are Loudan Wainwright and Kate McGarrigle]? Very much in the lineage of a Cohen.

No, but Bob Dole has the 45 of his father's unforgettable "Dead Skunk."

Frazod
04-12-2005, 06:34 PM
Damn, it's really hard to narrow it down to three.

But three that immediately came to mind are:

Hotel California - Eagles
More Than a Feeling - Boston
On The Turning Away - Pink Floyd

"Bob" Dobbs
04-12-2005, 06:37 PM
Dunno if it's top 3, but LC's "Everybody Knows" is absolutely top 10 in my book... I always liked Tom Waits "Heartattack & Vine" and The Rainma... Uh... Steve Bob & Rich's "Big Fat Blond". Sounds like a lotta y'all listen to the same kind of stuff as me. :thumb:

"Bob" Dobbs
04-12-2005, 06:40 PM
All in all, top 3 of all time have gotta be Led Zep - Rock & Roll, Everlast - What it's Like and Pink Floyd - Mother.

Rausch
04-12-2005, 06:41 PM
Funny you should say that for I recall the Concrete Blonde show clearly and one of the things about her- was her amazing prescence on the stage.

They did, I'm not kidding you, 4 encores that night at London's. They broke the rules and played past 230AM that night in Westport- they had to pay a fine, but not one person left that bar that night. Everyone stood there and gave them the biggest ovation I've ever seen. Anyways, for their final encore, they did "Tomorrow, Wendy." It was an intimate acoustic version that went on for 15 mins. Absolutely amazing performance. It was all good, man...all good.

I told the priest
dont count on any second coming
God got his ass kicked the first time
he came down here slumming.
He had the balls to come
the gall to die and then forgive us
no i dont wonder why i wonder what
he thought it would get us

That just shocked the hell outta' me the first time I heard it.

Bob Dole
04-12-2005, 06:48 PM
...and The Rainma... Uh... Steve Bob & Rich's "Big Fat Blond".

Bob Dole wishes like hell he could find the old SB&R bootleg cassette he once had. They had some seriously good/funny/offensive stuff that never got played in public.

6 Iron
04-12-2005, 06:50 PM
1. Bohemian Rhapsody /Queen
2. Flowers on the Wall /The Statler Brothers
3. Polovetsian Dance No. 2 from Prince Igor /Borodin

whoman69
04-12-2005, 06:57 PM
I remember a Springsteen interview when I was a kid that mentioned he was so haunted by Cryin' that he knew he had to get into music.

Great choice.

As far as Gaye goes, you could choose any one of his tunes and be right.
IMO he put more soul and feeling into Grapevine than any song in history. He let it go and ripped it.

Bob Dole
04-12-2005, 07:02 PM
Al Green needs mention for the booty factor if nothing else...

patteeu
04-12-2005, 08:27 PM
Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols
Bawitdaba - Kid Rock
Slacker - Tech N9ne