PDA

View Full Version : Should the average user be allowed to edit his or her poll?

Count Alex's Losses
04-12-2005, 09:05 PM
Currently if you post a poll only a moderator can go back and edit it. I see no reason for this rule. Several times I have screwed up polls and wished I could go back and edit them. What do you think?

Bowser
04-12-2005, 09:06 PM
It's what you get when you frequent a BB with power hungry mods.

Saulbadguy
04-12-2005, 09:09 PM
The reason you can not is this:

Lets say you start a poll reading "Do you like cookies?" Of course EVERYONE likes cookies, so it will be an overwhelming majority.

After the "yes" votes are up to a reasonable amount, you then change the poll to read "Do you support and approve the existance of NAMBLA?"

See the dilemma?

Count Alex's Losses
04-12-2005, 09:10 PM

Lets say you start a poll reading "Do you like cookies?" Of course EVERYONE likes cookies, so it will be an overwhelming majority.

After the "yes" votes are up to a reasonable amount, you then change the poll to read "Do you support and approve the existance of NAMBLA?"

See the dilemma?

That's just idiotic. If someone does that they should just be banned or given a one-time warning.

Rausch
04-12-2005, 09:10 PM
The authorities should not be allowed to tell you what you can and can't do with your own poll...

Logical
04-12-2005, 09:11 PM
That's just idiotic. If someone does that they should just be banned or given a one-time warning.Well if you would stay away after being banned we might be able to change the rule.

Count Alex's Losses
04-12-2005, 09:12 PM
Well if you would stay away after being banned we might be able to change the rule.

I'd never do a lame bait and switch like that.

On a smaller scale, it's for the same reason that I don't edit quotes...it's just lame.

Phobia
04-12-2005, 09:15 PM
This poll is moot. The current version of the software won't allow average users to edit polls.

We're merely hoping to find users with above average poll creation skills.

FloridaChief
04-12-2005, 09:17 PM
Catch-22: *They* can do anything that you can't stop them from doing.

Count Alex's Losses
04-12-2005, 09:19 PM
This poll is moot. The current version of the software won't allow average users to edit polls.

That's lame.

Bowser
04-12-2005, 09:19 PM

We're merely hoping to find users with above average poll creation skills.

:LOL:

There's Gaz, then the rest of us, with Rainman leading the way.

jAZ
04-12-2005, 09:23 PM
You can edit your posts because doing so changes your own expressed thoughts.

You can't edit your polls, because doing so changes the expressed thoughts of others.

I'd LOVE to be able to change my polls, but I totally understand why we can't.

milkman
04-12-2005, 09:25 PM
:LOL:

There's Gaz, then the rest of us, with Rainman leading the way.

Take Gaz out of the equation.

I think that all posters except Rainman should have poll creating abilities taken away.

The one exception is Whoman's mock draft.

KCWolfman
04-12-2005, 09:25 PM
It's what you get when you frequent a BB with power hungry mods.
Define power hungry.

Count Alex's Losses
04-12-2005, 09:27 PM
You can't edit your polls, because doing so changes the expressed thoughts of others.

If people are going to abuse the system to do that, they should be banned. Simply make a rule against it to discourage abuse of the poll system.

Bowser
04-12-2005, 09:27 PM
Define power hungry.

Those hungry for power? Sir? :shrug:

KCWolfman
04-12-2005, 09:29 PM
If people are going to abuse the system to do that, they should be banned. Simply make a rule against it to discourage abuse of the poll system.
And then the dodo gave another reason why the birds should be extinct.

Please note, you have lost your ability to speak on banning for all eternity.

badgirl
04-12-2005, 09:29 PM
You can edit your posts because doing so changes your own expressed thoughts.

I'd LOVE to be able to change my polls, but I totally understand why we can't.
I certainly understand that.
Just like when people quotes someone, but changes certain words to read what they want it to.

I've had that done before.

|Zach|
04-12-2005, 09:32 PM
I dont think the average user should be allowed to post let alone edit polls.

badgirl
04-12-2005, 09:35 PM
I dont think the average user should be allowed to post let alone edit polls.
whew!! Luckily I'm not just your "average" poster :p

Saulbadguy
04-12-2005, 09:35 PM
Define "average user"...

KCWolfman
04-12-2005, 09:36 PM
Define "average user"...
Okay, I'm Crosby, you're Hope.

Phobia
04-12-2005, 09:38 PM
I certainly understand that.
I'll bet almost all women would want Phobia. I know I get moist when I see his picture as my wallpaper.

Yeah. I get that sometimes.

Saulbadguy
04-12-2005, 09:39 PM
Okay, I'm Crosby, you're Hope.
Way over my head, sorry. You'll have to explain that to us youngins, you old fart. :harumph:

Count Alex's Losses
04-12-2005, 09:39 PM
Define "average user"...

Anyone that's not a mod.

KCWolfman
04-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Way over my head, sorry. You'll have to explain that to us youngins, you old fart. :harumph:
You basically repeated my question as Bob Hope would try to steal a line from Bing Crosby in the "Road" movies they made together. One does not have to be old to know the Road movies. They were made 30 years before my time and I have watched all of them.

Don't be a gochiefs, watch a classic once in awhile.

Saulbadguy
04-12-2005, 09:44 PM
You basically repeated my question as Bob Hope would try to steal a line from Bing Crosby in the "Road" movies they made together. One does not have to be old to know the Road movies. They were made 30 years before my time and I have watched all of them.

I'll search the program guide for any instances. Danke.

patteeu
04-12-2005, 09:47 PM

See the dilemma?

I agree with this reason. I voted no.

Count Alex's Losses
04-12-2005, 09:47 PM

I've seen plenty of classics.

Rain Man
04-12-2005, 09:50 PM
I think that the BB should just hire a professional pollster to post all of its polls. (Shifty-eyed glance around.)

KCWolfman
04-12-2005, 09:51 PM
I've seen plenty of classics.
Gochiefs Sister Does the Dante Jefferson is not a classic except on this BB.

Logical
04-12-2005, 09:54 PM

See the dilemma?ROFL I just got the connection between this and the stupid Cookies poll. I read that first and thought WTF?

Count Alex's Losses
04-12-2005, 09:55 PM
Gochiefs Sister Does the Dante Jefferson is not a classic except on this BB.

:rolleyes:

Phobia
04-12-2005, 09:55 PM
ROFL I just got the connection between this and the stupid Cookies poll. I read that first and thought WTF?

That's what I like so much about our users - they really know how to set me up.

badgirl
04-12-2005, 10:11 PM
Yeah. I get that sometimes.
:eek: Uh, Uh, :spank: thats for you

Skip Towne
04-12-2005, 10:19 PM
I have a very diabolical plot planned if I ever get the chance to edit my own poll. I'm just waiting for an opening.

KCWolfman
04-12-2005, 10:20 PM
I have a very diabolical plot planned if I ever get the chance to edit my own poll. I'm just waiting for an opening.
We've heard, prisonboy.

Bob Dole
04-12-2005, 10:27 PM
That's lame.

Count Alex's Losses
04-12-2005, 10:29 PM
Don't thank me, thank NAMBLA.