PDA

View Full Version : Help with new video card..

The Bad Guy
04-13-2005, 11:36 AM
I just got a geforce MX 4000 and I'm having a bitch of a time trying to get the DVI to work.

I put the card in one of my open PCI slots, I connected the DVI cable, when I switched my monitor over to digital, it said it was in some sleep mode that I would have to hit a button on the mouse or keyboard, and I did that but nothing came up.

I inserted the disc that came with it, and it's supposed to autorun, but it's not. There is no option for installation on the main menu so I'm completely lost.

Why would the monitor go into sleep mode once I selected digitial?

Seems screwed up.

Can anyone help me out?

Mr. Laz
04-13-2005, 11:50 AM
I just got a geforce MX 4000 and I'm having a bitch of a time trying to get the DVI to work.

I put the card in one of my open PCI slots, I connected the DVI cable, when I switched my monitor over to digital, it said it was in some sleep mode that I would have to hit a button on the mouse or keyboard, and I did that but nothing came up.

I inserted the disc that came with it, and it's supposed to autorun, but it's not. There is no option for installation on the main menu so I'm completely lost.

Why would the monitor go into sleep mode once I selected digitial?

Seems screwed up.

Can anyone help me out?
so you have 2 video cards in your computer???

1 in the agp and 1 in a PCI?

The Bad Guy
04-13-2005, 01:05 PM
Laz,

I finally got the CD to come up in safe mode, but the card is locking up windows when it starts now. It freezes and locks up windows and nothing happens with the card installed.

I had to get on my other computer to try to find out what's wrong with it.

Any suggestions?

I put this new card in a PCI slot, The other installed has to be an agp..it came with the factory installed Dell.

Any help you guys can offer me is mucho appreciated.

Saulbadguy
04-13-2005, 01:21 PM
Take out the AGP card. Install the PCI card (not sure why you got bought a PCI card), boot in to windows. Install the nvidia reference drivers , http://www.nvidia.com

htismaqe
04-13-2005, 01:24 PM
Should have bought that card from me! :thumb:

Go ahead and remove the AGP card and try it with just the PCI card and see what happens. Make sure to disable the AGP slot in the BIOS too.

The Bad Guy
04-13-2005, 01:29 PM
I didn't realize there was a difference between AGP and PCI. I'm not computer savvy, and figured this would be as easy as plug and play.

Obviously, it's not.

How exactly do I remove the AGP card? Can't I just disable the AGP card?

I don't even know the first place to look for it to remove it.

Pants
04-13-2005, 01:34 PM
It usually is plug and play, I think the problem here is that you have 2 vid cards conflicting. I've installed 3 diferent video cards over the time I had my computer and it was always plug and play (of course this includes installing drivers and all the other shit, but it's pretty easy).

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I've always had AGP cards, but I'm not sure whether that affects anything.

Saulbadguy
04-13-2005, 01:35 PM
The AGP card is in the AGP slot, which is a brown slot. Unscrew the screw holding it down, and pull that mutha out.

Pants
04-13-2005, 01:36 PM
The AGP card is in the AGP slot, which is a brown slot. Unscrew the screw holding it down, and pull that mutha out.

What if that shit is built in (integrated)? I think he might have to disable it and than put his PCI card in.

Saulbadguy
04-13-2005, 01:59 PM
What if that shit is built in (integrated)? I think he might have to disable it and than put his PCI card in.
True.

Baby Lee
04-13-2005, 02:20 PM
Take out the AGP card. Install the PCI card (not sure why you got bought a PCI card), boot in to windows. Install the nvidia reference drivers , http://www.nvidia.com
Maybe it's PCI Express? :shrug:
In which case he's probably not getting full functionality out of his card.
What's your motherboard?
If you don't have a PCI Express slot, go back and get an AGP version of the MX 4000, you'll be a lot happier.

Pants
04-13-2005, 02:24 PM
Maybe it's PCI Express? :shrug:
In which case he's probably not getting full functionality out of his card.
What's your motherboard?
If you don't have a PCI Express slot, go back and get an AGP version of the MX 4000, you'll be a lot happier.

Nah, MX4000 is pretty old. Don't think they had PCI Express back in the day.

Baby Lee
04-13-2005, 02:26 PM
My dad had Radeon 9200 built-in on his MOBO, and I overrode with with an All-in-Wonder in the AGP slot. The Bios didn't so much have a disable option as a 'primary' and 'secondary' option. I eventually took the time to set the onboard to 2ndary, but there were no performance issues prior to that, even though the monitor was plugged into the AGP card. Course that was AGP-v-MOBO, not PCI-v-MOBO.

Baby Lee
04-13-2005, 02:29 PM
Nah, MX4000 is pretty old. Don't think they had PCI Express back in the day.
I'm an ATI guy, not familiar with nVidia so much, so I just googled it. The first link said something about AGP-8X, which is pretty new, nearly as new as PCI-X, and he said he bought it for the DVI interface, so I just made some silly assumptions on the fly. If it's an old card, nevermind.

Pants
04-13-2005, 02:29 PM
My dad had Radeon 9200 built-in on his MOBO, and I overrode with with an All-in-Wonder in the AGP slot. The Bios didn't so much have a disable option as a 'primary' and 'secondary' option. I eventually took the time to set the onboard to 2ndary, but there were no performance issues prior to that, even though the monitor was plugged into the AGP card. Course that was AGP-v-MOBO, not PCI-v-MOBO.

LOL, damn dude, way to take care of your dad. What kind of AIW was it?

The Bad Guy
04-13-2005, 02:50 PM
Well after an hour on the phone with Dell, I've decided to send the card back to Newegg because this isn't worth all the trouble.

Thanks for any help guys. The original card is integrated so I wouldn't be able to take it out.

Baby Lee
04-13-2005, 03:13 PM
LOL, damn dude, way to take care of your dad. What kind of AIW was it?
9800, but the 'taking care' was all dad. He'd been buying the parts piecemeal over the past year, and completed everything he needed over the x-mas sales. But mom and I convinced him that, left to his own devices, those parts would still be sitting in the closet next x-mas, so I assembled it for him and set him up with all his software. Decent for a budget, P4 2.4, Gigabit Lan, 7.1 sound [onboard], 1Gb PC3200, Dual Layer DVD Writer, 200 GB WD HD. He wanted the AIW because he collects Train tapes [boring arse tapes of various models of trains travelling the great wide USA, Gramps and his bro [my great-uncle] were a train men, it's a legacy thing], and wanted to be able to put his collection [and old family VHS footage on DVD]. Plus, he loved seeing how mine [also w/a 9800] could do TiVO.

Mr. Laz
04-13-2005, 04:16 PM
Well after an hour on the phone with Dell, I've decided to send the card back to Newegg because this isn't worth all the trouble.

Thanks for any help guys. The original card is integrated so I wouldn't be able to take it out.
yea... but you can disable the intregrated one by entering the bios as the computer boots up.

usually it's the "delete" button

2 video cards in the same computer won't work without a specialized setup.

Pants
04-13-2005, 08:04 PM
9800, but the 'taking care' was all dad. He'd been buying the parts piecemeal over the past year, and completed everything he needed over the x-mas sales. But mom and I convinced him that, left to his own devices, those parts would still be sitting in the closet next x-mas, so I assembled it for him and set him up with all his software. Decent for a budget, P4 2.4, Gigabit Lan, 7.1 sound [onboard], 1Gb PC3200, Dual Layer DVD Writer, 200 GB WD HD. He wanted the AIW because he collects Train tapes [boring arse tapes of various models of trains travelling the great wide USA, Gramps and his bro [my great-uncle] were a train men, it's a legacy thing], and wanted to be able to put his collection [and old family VHS footage on DVD]. Plus, he loved seeing how mine [also w/a 9800] could do TiVO.

Dude, AIW 9800 is really, really bad ass. It's one of the top 2 cards of last generation (the other being FX5950 Ultra). Your dad could have been doing all that stuff with a AIW 9600 or even 9550. Just saying, he's got one bad ass card designed for gaming, you should teach him how to play Doom 3 or something, lol.

Pants
04-13-2005, 08:07 PM

Yeah, like Laz said, just disable the integrated card. It's pretty simple.

The Bad Guy
04-13-2005, 10:02 PM
Yeah, like Laz said, just disable the integrated card. It's pretty simple.

Ha, not according to Dell it's not.

I talked to 3 different techs, and not one of their clueless bastards could tell me how to disable the original video card.

I'm sure there is a way to do it, but I couldn't believe not a one knew how.

Pants
04-13-2005, 10:05 PM

I talked to 3 different techs, and not one of their clueless bastards could tell me how to disable the original video card.

F*cking Dell! :cuss:

htismaqe
04-14-2005, 04:56 AM

Inserting a card in the AGP slot may disable the on-board video automatically, whereas a PCI card definitely won't.

What kind of Dell do you have, and when it runs boot post (the splash screen at startup) what version of BIOS is it running?

penguinz
04-14-2005, 08:55 AM
If it is a dell it is running an Intel chipset. To get into the bios will be the F2 key.

nmt1
04-14-2005, 11:26 AM
If it's a Dell, the F2 key will get you into the BIOS. Also, if you put a video card in the AGP slot, it does automatically disable the onboard video. We have numerous Optiplex GX260's and 270's and they all do this. I'd expect most other Dell models are the same.
If you're still interested in trying to make it work, give me the service tag or model and I'll look it up on their DCSE site.

KCTitus
04-14-2005, 11:33 AM
Actually, even if you do set the BIOS to 'Auto' which will detect all video cards in the system.

If you're using XP, it will detect both and you'll have to connect the monitor to the onboard card, go into the display settings and activate and make primary the other video card and turn off the onboard.

It's tricky, but can be done.

Someone quote me, I think Bad Guy has me on ignore...

Mr. Laz
04-14-2005, 11:41 AM
you may not actually disable it... you may switch the initial video boot up from AGP to PCI.

but i would think there's a way to do it

when the computer boots up, watch the screen. At some point it will tell you the button to push to enter the bios.

get into the bios and look around, read all the various settings and go into all the various screens and sub-screens.

a video priority setting should be there

nmt1
04-14-2005, 11:53 AM
Actually, even if you do set the BIOS to 'Auto' which will detect all video cards in the system.

If you're using XP, it will detect both and you'll have to connect the monitor to the onboard card, go into the display settings and activate and make primary the other video card and turn off the onboard.

It's tricky, but can be done.

Someone quote me, I think Bad Guy has me on ignore...