PDA

View Full Version : Comcast Subscribers

Otter
04-13-2005, 07:39 PM
I can log onto to ChiefsPlanet because I go by IP. Anyone else.

This is re-god-damn-diculous!

Phobia
04-13-2005, 07:39 PM
Still? How many days has their DNS been jacked up?

Otter
04-13-2005, 07:42 PM
The problem went away from the last time we bitched about it but it's back.

How hard is it to re-direct a DNS server?

Sure-Oz
04-13-2005, 07:42 PM
What is the deal with comcast?

4th and Long
04-13-2005, 07:53 PM
I have Comcrap and I'm having a bitch of a time accessing The Planet. I know nothing about DNS or whatever but this is really pissing me the f*ck off!

schneider221
04-13-2005, 07:54 PM
I never was impressed with Comcast compared to having Time Warner for awhile.... damnit i really dislike comcast...their display for the cable is so bad its kinda funny

Phobia
04-13-2005, 07:57 PM
I have Comcrap and I'm having a bitch of a time accessing The Planet. I know nothing about DNS or whatever but this is really pissing me the f*ck off!

http://67.18.68.69/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1

4th and Long
04-13-2005, 08:05 PM
You rock, Phil. :thumb:

I can't even get Google to come up at the moment. I'm half tempted to call them and tell them to take their service and stick it up their ass.

morphius
04-13-2005, 08:13 PM
Time warner wasn't all that impressive in KC till Everest came in and started stealing their customers. Too bad Everest's parent company is money strapped and took away their cash, so those of us Comcast are stuck.

morphius
04-13-2005, 08:16 PM
The sad thing is that the only way I can surf the web is by logging into work first and using my DNS servers there.

unlurking
04-13-2005, 08:17 PM
Edit your hosts file and you can still use www.chiefsplanet.com

Sure-Oz
04-13-2005, 08:18 PM
I just got off the phone with them and said they were having issues, but told them this has been a regular thing for me the last few months on/off speed and slow. Ran tests on my modem said i had major packet loss on a few then fast on others, a guy is suppsoed to come out check my lines and replace my modem, ive never had a problem with them till the past few months when my modem or whatever went to shit.

Phobia
04-13-2005, 08:20 PM
You guys should ask them for credit for as long as you've had problems.

4th and Long
04-13-2005, 08:21 PM
Edit your hosts file and you can still use www.chiefsplanet.com
Speak English. Some of us are not computer geeks.

4th and Long
04-13-2005, 08:21 PM
You guys should ask them for credit for as long as you've had problems.
Oh I plan on it!!!

morphius
04-13-2005, 08:22 PM
look it up on google.

bwhahahahaha

KCWolfman
04-13-2005, 08:32 PM
North Kansas City has made money hand over fist for the last several years due to gambling boats proceeds. Also the fact that they have about 7,000 residents to a ratio of over 20,000 employees paying taxes doesn't hurt.

They have an internet system that is unbelievable and are probably going to make it available to the residents and if they beat Time Warner in court will do the same with cable.

With that and the Philly program in which GWB has promised free wireless connections to every resident, we all may be laughing in a few years that we even paid for this stuff.

morphius
04-13-2005, 08:35 PM
North Kansas City has made money hand over fist for the last several years due to gambling boats proceeds. Also the fact that they have about 7,000 residents to a ratio of over 20,000 employees paying taxes doesn't hurt.

They have an internet system that is unbelievable and are probably going to make it available to the residents and if they beat Time Warner in court will do the same with cable.

With that and the Philly program in which GWB has promised free wireless connections to every resident, we all may be laughing in a few years that we even paid for this stuff.
Minneapolis is going to build a wireless network as well, though they are going to charge $20 a month for it, but still, that's not bad.

KCWolfman
04-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Minneapolis is going to build a wireless network as well, though they are going to charge $20 a month for it, but still, that's not bad.
Not compared to what I pay. I would gladly take 20 a month. What about multiple PCs? 20 each or can I get a router and split it up?

morphius
04-13-2005, 08:56 PM
Not compared to what I pay. I would gladly take 20 a month. What about multiple PCs? 20 each or can I get a router and split it up?
That I'm not sure about, it was just mentioned yesterday. They are building it for gov't workers and then going to release it to the citizens.

My thought process was the same though, I would hate to pay for all of my computers, that would be way too pricey.

unlurking
04-13-2005, 09:14 PM

It's been a while since I used Windows, but there is a text file called hosts that is located (or at least was in WinNT and below) in the /windows/system/drivers/ directory. In /etc/ under Slack and BSD. Open it with notepad and add the ip address and name www.chiefsplanet.com.

You will already have at least one mapping like this...

127.0.0.1 localhost

Just add...

x.x.x.x www.chiefsplanet.com

where x.x.x.x is the IP address listed in a previous post (67.18.68.69 I beleive).

Basically, whenever your system attempts to resolve a name to an IP address, it checks the hosts file first, then resorts to DNS services. This will eliminate the call to your DNS that is apparently messed up.

Sure-Oz
04-13-2005, 09:31 PM
Yeah this blows, chiefsplanet is really the only site that loads, i tried to get on my class and barely succeeded. They better resolve this shit soon, and yes i will be asking for credit as well, this is horseshit.

Cochise
04-13-2005, 09:40 PM
it's probably comcast if so many of you are having issues, but it could also be the lines between your house and the box, they ought to check all that too.

Valiant
04-13-2005, 10:14 PM

The question is... Besides the twenty dollars a month... How much will they charge in taxes...

Sure-Oz
04-13-2005, 10:22 PM
Right now its blazing again....

I am having a guy come out friday afternoon to check it all and possibly replace my cable modem if need be, the guy on the phone said my modem seemed to be blazing then lagged on other tests then fast again, said it may need to be replaced regardless, explaining that is why i have had on/off again issues with speed.

morphius
04-13-2005, 10:41 PM
it's probably comcast if so many of you are having issues, but it could also be the lines between your house and the box, they ought to check all that too.
For me it is obviously DNS, as I can still get here via IP and get to works vpn via IP with no issue.

schneider221
04-14-2005, 02:32 PM
Not only the DNS problem but today when i got home the cable and internet connection is out.....thankfully i have someware else ot get my work done but they need to fix this

gblowfish
04-14-2005, 02:53 PM
Comcrap blows. We have T1 here at work, so it screams. I've had service outages at my Independence home with regularity over the past six months. Three months ago, their tech weenie said I had a bad modem. Took it in for a trade in. No change. A month later they sent out a tech weenie to check the line to my house. It was OK. Once they tried to tell me it was my router, even after I told them I had plugged the modem line directly into my computer and bypassed the router.

Every time I've had problems it's been on their end. Last night when I called the recording said "No service outages have been detected in your area." Then when you nest down to the cable internet section, the message said "service problems are currently occuring in Missouri and Kansas, including interruption of e-mail. We're aware of the problem and are working to correct it." SHEEEEEE.....

Then forget getting to speak to an actual human. They said hold time was twenty minutes, I held for thirty and gave up. God knows how long you'd have to hold to get a refund, they'd probably only give you back a buck or two anyway. Not worth the high blood pressure waiting on hold to scream at somebody.

Wish we had more choices. Independence City Council is in bed with Comcast pretty deep. Nothing much will change, I suppose. Welcome to the world of crappy service from your friendly local monopoly!

carlos3652
04-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Comcrap blows.

Every time I've had problems it's been on their end. Last night when I called the recording said "No service outages have been detected in your area." Then when you nest down to the cable internet section, the message said "service problems are currently occuring in Missouri and Kansas, including interruption of e-mail. We're aware of the problem and are working to correct it." SHEEEEEE.....

Then forget getting to speak to an actual human. They said hold time was twenty minutes, I held for thirty and gave up. God knows how long you'd have to hold to get a refund, they'd probably only give you back a buck or two anyway. Not worth the high blood pressure waiting on hold to scream at somebody.

!

Amen, at 10:30 pm I called was on hold for 20 min. to finally hear that recording... then they tell me it is a 30 min wait... F them... My internet connection has been up and down for the last month and it sucks....

CosmicPal
04-14-2005, 03:17 PM
FYI -

If it's a DNS issue- don't be surprised if there's 20 million peeps trying to call in- hence, why you'll be waiting over 20 mins to get to someone. :rolleyes:

I have Comcast, they rock. Of course, I've been down the past couple of days, but this is just a minor inconvenience.

morphius
04-14-2005, 03:26 PM
FYI -

If it's a DNS issue- don't be surprised if there's 20 million peeps trying to call in- hence, why you'll be waiting over 20 mins to get to someone. :rolleyes:

I have Comcast, they rock. Of course, I've been down the past couple of days, but this is just a minor inconvenience.
Other then this recent DNS issue I have only had 2 issues in three years, one I needed my cable modem replaced and the other someone disconnected something incorrectly, but that was fixed fairly quickly.

carlos3652
04-14-2005, 03:30 PM
Yea... I just pay over $150 a month because of their services when I used to pay TWC $60 for the same services..., and it pisses me off when they screw up... TWC almost never screwed up...

CosmicPal
04-14-2005, 03:39 PM
Yea... I just pay over $150 a month because of their services when I used to pay TWC $60 for the same services..., and it pisses me off when they screw up... TWC almost never screwed up...

Carlos- I don't know who TWC is, and that is pretty much irrelevant here. I get over $250.00/mo of premium cable TV/high speed internet and telephony services from them and I absolutely love it. The TV itself is well-worth the agony of getting bumped offline on the internet every once in awhile. Even the Internet itself is absolutely blazing over the speeds I had a couple of years ago- and the graphics come in as well, if not better than my TV.

I also have so many more user-friendly options at my disposal with the Internet than I ever had a couple of years ago- shoot even a couple of months ago.

Sorry- you're having so many issues, but I can name a boatload of friends and neighbors who think Comcast and the services they provide is golden. I can assure you the "screw-ups" you talk about aren't always Comcast.

carlos3652
04-14-2005, 04:16 PM
Carlos- I don't know who TWC is, and that is pretty much irrelevant here. I get over $250.00/mo of premium cable TV/high speed internet and telephony services from them and I absolutely love it. The TV itself is well-worth the agony of getting bumped offline on the internet every once in awhile. Even the Internet itself is absolutely blazing over the speeds I had a couple of years ago- and the graphics come in as well, if not better than my TV.

I also have so many more user-friendly options at my disposal with the Internet than I ever had a couple of years ago- shoot even a couple of months ago.

Sorry- you're having so many issues, but I can name a boatload of friends and neighbors who think Comcast and the services they provide is golden. I can assure you the "screw-ups" you talk about aren't always Comcast.

TWC = Time Warner Cable... I get every channel comcast has to offer + One hd/dvr tuner.... the rest are regular boxes.... But Comcast is ok... but if they had competition they would be better, that is what happend when Everest came to OP...

KCWolfman
04-14-2005, 04:17 PM
The question is... Besides the twenty dollars a month... How much will they charge in taxes...
You misunderstood. They are giving it to their residents, no tax, no charge.

CosmicPal
04-14-2005, 04:21 PM
TWC = Time Warner Cable... I get every channel comcast has to offer + One hd/dvr tuner.... the rest are regular boxes.... But Comcast is ok... but if they had competition they would be better, that is what happend when Everest came to OP...

Ahhh....OK...

The thing I love is the new VOD- Video on Demand. I also have hundreds of movies to choose from, and I can watch, record, stop, play, rewind, fast forward a number of shows. To me, it rocks. I also get a kick out of their On Demand Dating thing they just launched.

I think they've come a long ways, and it always sucks to lose the Internet or the phone or the TV for a moment, but it's nothing like the old days.

Don't count on the competition- Comcast is your Wal-Mart for entertainment services. But, as long as they provide this kind of programming- I'm not complaining.

carlos3652
04-14-2005, 04:24 PM
Ahhh....OK...

The thing I love is the new VOD- Video on Demand. I also have hundreds of movies to choose from, and I can watch, record, stop, play, rewind, fast forward a number of shows. To me, it rocks. I also get a kick out of their On Demand Dating thing they just launched.

I think they've come a long ways, and it always sucks to lose the Internet or the phone or the TV for a moment, but it's nothing like the old days.

Don't count on the competition- Comcast is your Wal-Mart for entertainment services. But, as long as they provide this kind of programming- I'm not complaining.

Where do you live, we just got the DVR boxes in in December... we dont have VOD in Olathe...

KCWolfman
04-14-2005, 04:24 PM

I disagree. As I stated earlier, the city of North Kansas City is looking into providing free services for their residents. Philly is offering free wireless soon, and evidently Minneapolis is looking at 20.00 a month for wireless.

The products to create the connections are getting cheaper and people like Comcast and TWC are raising prices - The competition, believe it or not, will be from the government of all places. Personally, I can't wait until it starts nationwide.

|Zach|
04-14-2005, 04:26 PM
I disagree. As I stated earlier, the city of North Kansas City is looking into providing free services for their residents. Philly is offering free wireless soon, and evidently Minneapolis is looking at 20.00 a month for wireless.

The products to create the connections are getting cheaper and people like Comcast and TWC are raising prices - The competition, believe it or not, will be from the government of all places. Personally, I can't wait until it starts nationwide.
Downtown Springifield has WiFi its pretty cool.

CosmicPal
04-14-2005, 04:33 PM
Where do you live, we just got the DVR boxes in in December... we dont have VOD in Olathe...

Denver...

It says so under my location. :D

carlos3652
04-14-2005, 04:40 PM
Denver...

It says so under my location. :D

Im an idiot.... but thats why I dislike Comcast, I had Time Warner ( VOD, DVR, HD, Phone) and when I moved to Olathe from Overland Park... less than 1 mile away, I cannot get VOD, Phone and until recently to DVR...