PDA

View Full Version : Another Video card question

JOhn
04-13-2005, 09:19 PM
After seeing the other Video card post, it got me wondering if anyone could help with my Vid card.

I was given a new video card as belated B-day from my brother, and having some problems with it.

It's a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500, with 256mg memory.

When I'm playing a game that uses a lot of graphics, Tiger Woods 2005 and Secret Weapons over Normandy specifically, it has a tendency to lock up.

I'll be playing and screen goes black, and I have to reboot. I have all the newest drivers from the website, and I'm sure it's not overheating, but have no clue what could be causing it.

fwiw it doesn't lock up on any other games, just those 2, any Ideas?

Pants
04-13-2005, 09:24 PM
After seeing the other Video card post, it got me wondering if anyone could help with my Vid card.

I was given a new video card as belated B-day from my brother, and having some problems with it.

It's a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500, with 256mg memory.

When I'm playing a game that uses a lot of graphics, Tiger Woods 2005 and Secret Weapons over Normandy specifically, it has a tendency to lock up.

I'll be playing and screen goes black, and I have to reboot. I have all the newest drivers from the website, and I'm sure it's not overheating, but have no clue what could be causing it.

fwiw it doesn't lock up on any other games, just those 2, any Ideas?

Sounds like overheating. What have you done to make sure it's not? What other games do you play, the ones that haven't locked up?

Saulbadguy
04-13-2005, 09:26 PM
Which website are you getting the drivers from? Nvidia.com?

Also, make sure your other drivers are up to date. Chipset drivers especially.

Try setting some of the graphic levels for those 2 games down, and turn of anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering. Also, if you haven't patched the games to their latest level, do that as well.

JOhn
04-13-2005, 09:30 PM
Sounds like overheating. What have you done to make sure it's not? What other games do you play, the ones that haven't locked up?

It's setting without the case cover on, and another fan blowing on it. :shrug:

Pants
04-13-2005, 09:33 PM
It's setting without the case cover on, and another fan blowing on it. :shrug:

OK, play the game a little and quit (before it locks up). Right click anywhere on the desktop and go to Settings, Advanced and then FX 5500. A little window should pop out to the left, click on Temperature settings (or something like that) and look at the temp.

Fans help, but the chip can still overheat (that's why processors have heatsinks). Just check that first and if not come back for more suggestions. Sounds exactly like overheating though.

JOhn
04-13-2005, 09:33 PM
Which website are you getting the drivers from? Nvidia.com?

Also, make sure your other drivers are up to date. Chipset drivers especially.

Try setting some of the graphic levels for those 2 games down, and turn of anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering. Also, if you haven't patched the games to their latest level, do that as well.

Downloaded Drivers from Nvidia.com.

I can't find any new patch's for either game.

I have turned down the graphics on both cards, and that hasn't helped, only made it less visually appealing. :banghead:

I don't play any other games that use any graphics, they are all older games, Starcraft, Hoyles or 2000 MS flight simulator

Pants
04-13-2005, 09:34 PM
Downloaded Drivers from Nvidia.com.

I can't find any new patch's for either game.

I have turned down the graphics on both cards, and that hasn't helped, only made it less visually appealing. :banghead:

I don't play any other games that use any graphics, they are all older games, Starcraft, Hoyles or 2000 MS flight simulator

OK, read my post above. Also, what kind of processor do you have?

JOhn
04-13-2005, 09:36 PM
OK, play the game a little and quit (before it locks up). Right click anywhere on the desktop and go to Settings, Advanced and then FX 5500. A little window should pop out to the left, click on Temperature settings (or something like that) and look at the temp.

Fans help, but the chip can still overheat (that's why processors have heatsinks). Just check that first and if not come back for more suggestions. Sounds exactly like overheating though.

I get the little window to the left, but bothing there to check the temp.

Pants
04-13-2005, 09:38 PM
I get the little window to the left, but bothing there to check the temp.

Well, f*ck me... Are you sure? Click on all of them just in case and see whether there's a temp. gauge anywhere. If not, do you know how to use BIOS?

JOhn
04-13-2005, 09:59 PM
OK, read my post above. Also, what kind of processor do you have?
AMD Athlon 2400+
512 Meg Ram

JOhn
04-13-2005, 10:03 PM
Well, f*ck me... Are you sure? Click on all of them just in case and see whether there's a temp. gauge anywhere. If not, do you know how to use BIOS?

Nope. Checked EVERY option, nothing to show the temp. :shrug:

BIOS, I forgot how to get into it.

I try to stay away from it, as I know just enough to screw it up. ROFL

Pants
04-13-2005, 10:13 PM
Nope. Checked EVERY option, nothing to show the temp. :shrug:

BIOS, I forgot how to get into it.

I try to stay away from it, as I know just enough to screw it up. ROFL

Well, go to BIOS (restart and press Del when it tells you to on the bottom of the screen), DON"T CHANGE anything but look for temp there (something like physical, but I don't remeber exaclty, just look around). This is good too because you can play the game until it locks, reboot and know exaclty whether it's a temp. issue. Also, your processor could be overheating (do you have a heatsink?), but I think when that happens, you just smell the burning and it's too late. You can also check the temp in BIOS for that.

JOhn
04-13-2005, 10:25 PM
Well, go to BIOS (restart and press Del when it tells you to on the bottom of the screen), DON"T CHANGE anything but look for temp there (something like physical, but I don't remeber exaclty, just look around). This is good too because you can play the game until it locks, reboot and know exaclty whether it's a temp. issue. Also, your processor could be overheating (do you have a heatsink?), but I think when that happens, you just smell the burning and it's too late. You can also check the temp in BIOS for that.

57c is the temp when it locked

Pants
04-13-2005, 10:27 PM
57c is the temp when it locked

Of the video card? If so, than the temp is CLEARLY not a problem.

JOhn
04-13-2005, 10:29 PM
Of the video card? If so, than the temp is CLEARLY not a problem.

No, that was CPU temp, I still see nothing that shows the Video card temp. :shrug:

PastorMikH
04-13-2005, 10:34 PM
JOhn, Sounds to me like you didn't get the card seated all the way into the slot. That causes is to get a poor connection and when the card is over-taxed, the connections can't get enough current flow to maintain stability. The result is the system shutting down and resarting. I would suggest getting a ball ping hammer and firmly hitting the video card 4-5 times. Don't hit it like a sissy or you won't do any good.

JOhn
04-13-2005, 10:38 PM
JOhn, Sounds to me like you didn't get the card seated all the way into the slot. That causes is to get a poor connection and when the card is over-taxed, the connections can't get enough current flow to maintain stability. The result is the system shutting down and resarting. I would suggest getting a ball ping hammer and firmly hitting the video card 4-5 times. Don't hit it like a sissy or you won't do any good.
It's a good thing your a Pastor, or you might be going somewere hot. :shake:

Pants
04-13-2005, 10:42 PM

I don't know man. It sounds to me like it's overheating, but when I think of those games (not very graphic intensive) and the fact that lowering the settings doesn't help, I don't know what to say.

PastorMikH
04-13-2005, 10:48 PM

ROFL

Go ahead, you know you want to swing the hammer. :D

JOhn
04-13-2005, 10:48 PM
I don't know man. It sounds to me like it's overheating, but when I think of those games (not very graphic intensive) and the fact that lowering the settings doesn't help, I don't know what to say.

Well thanks anyway, guess I can try and re install the card, just to be sure.

Allready reinstalled the games.

Pants
04-13-2005, 10:53 PM
John, I'd go to some nVidia forums and asks there. I'm sure you'll get some expert opinions there. Good luck, man. Sorry I couldn't help.

PastorMikH
04-13-2005, 10:54 PM
JOhn, are you sure it is the graphics card? My system at times will shut down and restart when the resources run too low for too long. How much RAM do you have and how many applications are open in your taskbar? Also, have you downloaded the latest video drivers from their website for your operating system? The computer we run the projection system from at the church has a GeForce 440? in it that we pulled from the old system, and I had to load new drivers due to the OS change. It worked, but wasn't working like it should. The new drivers fixed it.

I'd also call NVIDIA's Tech support and bounce it off of them. The worst they can tell you is that you can no longer get free support and have to pay for help.

Pants
04-13-2005, 10:57 PM
JOhn, are you sure it is the graphics card? My system at times will shut down and restart when the resources run too low for too long. How much RAM do you have and how many applications are open in your taskbar? Also, have you downloaded the latest video drivers from their website for your operating system? The computer we run the projection system from at the church has a GeForce 440? in it that we pulled from the old system, and I had to load new drivers due to the OS change. It worked, but wasn't working like it should. The new drivers fixed it.

I'd also call NVIDIA's Tech support and bounce it off of them. The worst they can tell you is that you can no longer get free support and have to pay for help.

Yeah, he said he got the newest drivers. I also don't think it's the RAM, I have 512 MBs and I run more intensive games smoothly (mu vid. card and processor are both a little better tho). But, you never know :shrug:

JOhn
04-13-2005, 11:29 PM

I've shut down ALL background programs, nothingrunning but essentials. Running 512 meg Ram, 256 meg on Video card also.

I have D/l'd all updates. Not using nearly all system resources. Tried EA tech suppourt for game, nothing there. Going to try Nvidia next

JOhn
04-13-2005, 11:30 PM
John, I'd go to some nVidia forums and asks there. I'm sure you'll get some expert opinions there. Good luck, man. Sorry I couldn't help.
Going there next

KC Jones
04-14-2005, 07:05 AM
Does it only shut down during the games?

Could be power supply problem if not. Could still be memory - have you tried running memtest or another memory utitily?

Loki
04-15-2005, 12:24 AM
can your power supply handle it?

KCWolfman
04-15-2005, 09:15 AM
I was experiencing a similar issue.

While it can be any one of dozens of issues, I checked my processor and fan. The heatsink was clogged with dust. So I pulled it off and found that it was just a standard composite metal.

I went ahead and bought a water cooler for my processor and no problems since.

However, if you want to go a cheaper route, get a new heat sink w/fan and make sure the heatsink has a copper plating on the bottom. About 30.00 total.

JOhn
04-20-2005, 04:00 PM
I was experiencing a similar issue.

While it can be any one of dozens of issues, I checked my processor and fan. The heatsink was clogged with dust. So I pulled it off and found that it was just a standard composite metal.

I went ahead and bought a water cooler for my processor and no problems since.

However, if you want to go a cheaper route, get a new heat sink w/fan and make sure the heatsink has a copper plating on the bottom. About 30.00 total.

Checked the fan looks good, very little dirt, but might look ito another cooler soon.

But think I finallly found the problem. I talked with EA tech support, and they reccomended updating the Motherboards chipset drivers. I went and D/L'd the newer driver and have had no problem since.

Guess I never thought or knew about updating the motherboard chipset drivers, learn something new everyday. :thumb:

Darkwolfe
04-20-2005, 07:53 PM
How old is the computer? You may be just old enough to not have DirectX 9 on it and that will cause this type of problem. Upgrade that and see what happens. It's a free download from MS.

JOhn
04-21-2005, 10:17 PM
How old is the computer? You may be just old enough to not have DirectX 9 on it and that will cause this type of problem. Upgrade that and see what happens. It's a free download from MS.
ABout a year old, but allready running 9.0c

Cowgirl
05-04-2005, 08:13 PM
Checked the fan looks good, very little dirt, but might look ito another cooler soon.

But think I finallly found the problem. I talked with EA tech support, and they reccomended updating the Motherboards chipset drivers. I went and D/L'd the newer driver and have had no problem since.

Guess I never thought or knew about updating the motherboard chipset drivers, learn something new everyday. :thumb:
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Well I spoke to soon, as it continues to lock up on me.

I ended up exchanging the Video card for a ATI RADEON 9550 with 256 mg DDR. Un fortunatly it locked up again, so the problem has to be with the computer somewere. :shrug:

I have D/L'd the latest driver for the Motherboard ( VIA chipset ), but that has not helped either.

I have a temp sensor program running now with the following temps:

Temp #1 Board 31c (about 87f)
Temp #2 CPU/ACPI 40c
Temp #3 Power/Aux 54c (about 129f)

It's saying Temp #3 is to high, which I assume is the power supply? Any Ideas on how to cool it down?

*********EDIT********

Didn't realize the wife was logged on :grr:
JOhn

KCWolfman
05-04-2005, 09:00 PM
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Well I spoke to soon, as it continues to lock up on me.

I ended up exchanging the Video card for a ATI RADEON 9550 with 256 mg DDR. Un fortunatly it locked up again, so the problem has to be with the computer somewere. :shrug:

I have D/L'd the latest driver for the Motherboard ( VIA chipset ), but that has not helped either.

I have a temp sensor program running now with the following temps:

Temp #1 Board 31c (about 87f)
Temp #2 CPU/ACPI 40c
Temp #3 Power/Aux 54c (about 129f)

It's saying Temp #3 is to high, which I assume is the power supply? Any Ideas on how to cool it down?

*********EDIT********

Didn't realize the wife was logged on :grr:
JOhn
How big is the powersupply? Perhaps you don't have enough wattage?

Cowgirl
05-04-2005, 09:13 PM
How big is the powersupply? Perhaps you don't have enough wattage?
That's what I'm thinking....

It says 250 watt on the side.

But down below it says 165 watt max ??

KCWolfman
05-04-2005, 09:15 PM
That's what I'm thinking....

It says 250 watt on the side.

But down below it says 165 watt max ??
You need at least 300 watts to insure stability. I went 500 with mine.

Cowgirl
05-04-2005, 09:26 PM
Cool, thanks :thumb:

Looks like I'll do some shopping for a new Power supply

JOhn
05-04-2005, 11:15 PM

It must be the PS, as I placed a second fan blowing on it which dropped the temp to 98f from 129f. The played the game and checked the temp during the game and it had risen to 120f, and locked up about 5 minutes later. When I rebooted it the temp was at 130f.

KCWolfman
05-04-2005, 11:21 PM
It must be the PS, as I placed a second fan blowing on it which dropped the temp to 98f from 129f. The played the game and checked the temp during the game and it had risen to 120f, and locked up about 5 minutes later. When I rebooted it the temp was at 130f.
Don't go cheap on a PS. You can get away with cheap on RAM, a MOBO, even a processor. But if you go cheap on a PS and it fries, it could screw everything.

JOhn
05-09-2005, 07:01 PM
Don't go cheap on a PS. You can get away with cheap on RAM, a MOBO, even a processor. But if you go cheap on a PS and it fries, it could screw everything.

Well I installed a new PS today, 500w, but unfortunatly that doesn't seem to be the problem. The game locked up again on me while I was playing.

I have installed a Temp monitor program, and all the temps are acceptable, that I can read.

Motherboard 34c
CPU 1 29c
CPU 2 49c ( believe that temp is for the PS)
ACPI 40c ( no idea what that is. :shrug: )

JOhn
05-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Does it only shut down during the games?

Could be power supply problem if not. Could still be memory - have you tried running memtest or another memory utitily?

Only during games, and were might I get a program to Memory test?

Darkwolfe
05-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Not the memory if only 2 games are affected. That's pretty much a certainty. WEiRd

JOhn
05-09-2005, 10:19 PM
Not the memory if only 2 games are affected. That's pretty much a certainty. WEiRd

Yea I'm totally stumped. :shrug:

The highest temp I've noticed is on the CPU which doesn't go any higher than 51c, which should be OK.

JOhn
05-17-2005, 08:12 PM
Well after having to replace my motherboard, the problem has been taken care of. Must have been the MOB acting before it died that was the problem.