PDA

View Full Version : It's now officially offical what we've all known: TO is a world class jackoff

Bowser
04-14-2005, 09:28 PM
This guy is arguably the top WR playing today - unquestionably in the top three. But the cajones on this guy!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2037602

I would laugh my mf'n ass off if he got traded to Baltimore! ROFL

Sorry I didn't type the story. I'm lazy.

|Zach|
04-14-2005, 09:29 PM
Wacky...

KILLER_CLOWN
04-14-2005, 09:33 PM
That's the kind of leader our beloved Chiefs have been missing.... NOT! whadda jagoff!

Deberg_1990
04-14-2005, 09:33 PM
its pretty sad when 49 miliion is considered "substandard" These superstar Athletes live in a completely different world than the rest of us.

Bowser
04-14-2005, 09:35 PM
That's the kind of leader our beloved Chiefs have been missing.... NOT! whadda jagoff!

He's not "profile".

DenverChief
04-14-2005, 09:36 PM
:shake:

Spicy McHaggis
04-14-2005, 09:36 PM
**** Rosenhaus. When he says TO had to take a substandard deal he means that he feels he got a substandard cut. And **** TO too.

jspchief
04-14-2005, 09:38 PM
Did anyone catch his comments the other day? When he said "I'm not the one that was getting tired in the Superbowl", referencing McNabb and reports that he was sick in the huddle.

Frazod
04-14-2005, 09:38 PM
I think he should hold out next season.

At least until October 3rd. :D

Although I'd prefer it if him and Rosenhaus both dropped f#cking dead. :grr:

Bowser
04-14-2005, 09:39 PM
Did anyone catch his comments the other day? When he said "I'm not the one that was getting tired in the Superbowl", referencing McNabb and reports that he was sick in the huddle.

I did read an excerpt of that somewhere. Guess the honeymoon is over, huh?

Frazod
04-14-2005, 09:41 PM
I did read an excerpt of that somewhere. Guess the honeymoon is over, huh?

When the marriage involves a prima donna bitch, that tends to happen rather quickly.

el borracho
04-14-2005, 09:45 PM
Of course he wasn't tired. Owens had 6 weeks off at the end of the year while his team was getting him to the Superbowl! ;)

Valiant
04-14-2005, 09:47 PM
what a piece of shit.. hopefully the eagles stand true like they always do with contracts and tell him to eat it or dont play... or trade him to arena league..

Bowser
04-14-2005, 09:49 PM
what a piece of shit.. hopefully the eagles stand true like they always do with contracts and tell him to eat it or dont play... or trade him to arena league..

.....or back to the 49ers.

;)

SBK
04-15-2005, 01:01 AM
These type of things wouldn't happen if NFL contracts had an amount of money paid to player if contract was voided, and likewise an amount paid by player to team when demanding this type of crap.

The current system is unfairly slanted toward the team, but I still think if you sign the contract it's time to shut up and play.

philfree
04-15-2005, 01:04 AM
I don't care about his numbers in the Super Bowl IMO because of the T.O. factor his team lost the only playoff game he played in. They got over the hump without him and then it was all about him..and they lost. How much more clearer can it be.

PhilFree:arrow:

mcan
04-15-2005, 01:05 AM
After reading the article, the fact is... He has a point. He got dicked by the NFL and by the 49ers and the Baltimore Ravens and his agent. He couldn't get traded unless he signed the bad deal. Granted he shouldn't have signed it. He could have sat out, but that wouldn't have helped anybody. He deserves to be the highest paid wideout in the game and anybody that disputes that just hates rich people. When Priest Holmes put up huge numbers and said, "Hey my deal is no longer fair." Everybody around here said, "Pay him Carl you cheap bastard!" Priest Holmes didn't even get screwed by anybody. He was a free agent and proved himself, and so he wanted want was fair. The media didn't even make a big deal out of it, because they LIKE Priest Holmes.

But when the NFL's bad boy does the same thing (under even harsher circumstances: Agent forgetting to file for F/A, Traded without concent, Forced to take a deal WAY under market, put up record numbers, and out performed his whole team during the SUPER BOWL) all the sudden the media jumps and calls him greedy. It's a supreme double standard. The Eagles know what's fair. They should give him a great contract that pays him in the top three at least. At the very least a compromise should be given and a new contract with more incentives and roster bonuses should be made.

mcan
04-15-2005, 01:20 AM
Apparently his signing bonus last year was over 10 million. I can't find an exact figure though. Here is his current contractual base salary from nflpa.org

2005 3250000.00
2006 770000.00
2007 5500000.00
2008 6500000.00
2009 7500000.00
2010 8500000.00

Here's Marvin Harrison's deal.
Not sure what his '04 signing bonus was, but he had a $7 million roster bonus due him a few weeks ago which he restructured into a signing bonus to lower the Colt's cap number.

2003 4500000.00
2004 1309000.00
2005 1000000.00
2006 2000000.00
2007 4000000.00
2008 7600000.00
2009 9000000.00
2010 10000000.00
2011 11400000.00

Say what you will about the two different guys, but I don't think that anybody can argue that TO is a better wideout than Harrison. Is it fair that Harrison should make such a drastic amount more than TO? Not IMO.

Pants
04-15-2005, 01:20 AM
mcan, Priest was getting a 6 figure salary, he had all the rights to demand the money (I'm not even going to go into the whole thing about RB's working much harder than WR's and having much shorter careers). TO got a fat ass contract, what was it, around 50 mil? TO is a bitch for pulling this on the Eagles, I don't know how you can say oherwise.

Pants
04-15-2005, 01:23 AM
Apparently his signing bonus last year was over 10 million. I can't find an exact figure though. Here is his current contractual base salary from nflpa.org

2005 3250000.00
2006 770000.00
2007 5500000.00
2008 6500000.00
2009 7500000.00
2010 8500000.00

Here's Marvin Harrison's deal.
Not sure what his '04 signing bonus was, but he had a $7 million roster bonus due him a few weeks ago which he restructured into a signing bonus to lower the Colt's cap number.

2003 4500000.00
2004 1309000.00
2005 1000000.00
2006 2000000.00
2007 4000000.00
2008 7600000.00
2009 9000000.00
2010 10000000.00
2011 11400000.00

Say what you will about the two different guys, but I don't think that anybody can argue that TO is a better wideout than Harrison. Is it fair that Harrison should make such a drastic amount more than TO? Not IMO.

Dude, they aren't playing for the same team. The Colts feel like they want to spend more money on a reciever and a QB, while Eagles feel like they want to spend more money on the team. This is why the Eagles were in the SB while the Colts were watching the game on TV. If TO doesn't like what he's getting payed, he should go look for a new place willing to pay him more. He agreed on a fat contract, now he wants more. TO = Bitch.

RedDread
04-15-2005, 01:36 AM
Dan Patrick took Rosenhaus to task on this afternoon's sportcenter about TO's allusion to McNabb getting tired during the superbowl

:thumb: for the public shaming of Rosenhaus

mcan
04-15-2005, 02:07 AM
mcan, Priest was getting a 6 figure salary, he had all the rights to demand the money (I'm not even going to go into the whole thing about RB's working much harder than WR's and having much shorter careers). TO got a fat ass contract, what was it, around 50 mil? TO is a bitch for pulling this on the Eagles, I don't know how you can say oherwise.

I don't think TO got a "fat" contract at all... I can't seem to find the franchise tag information that would tell me the to five average salaries for WRs in 2004, so I went back a couple years and saw that the tag number for WRs in 2003 was about 5 million. Now, after Marvin Harrison's huge contract, I'm sure that number is closer to 7 or 8 million. Terrel should get paid at least the average of the top five salaries don't you think? Right now he's not even getting close to that.

Last year he got a signing bonus of 10 million. Nice chunk of change. Prorated over his seven year deal it's cap # of 1.4 mil per year. Not so impressive now though... Here's his total cap number (minus any roster or LTBE bonuses that he might have. My guess is he doesn't have all that many).

2004 2.6 Mil
2005 4.65 Mil
2006 2.17 Mil
2007 6.9 Mil
2008 7.9 Mil
2009 8.9 Mil
2010 9.9 Mil

From the looks of it, he's not getting payed anywhere near the top five salaries of WRs until the year 2007... Bum deal.

Uncle_Ted
04-15-2005, 04:14 AM
TO doesn't really have a $50 million contract just like McNabb, Favre, Vick, Manning, et al. don't really have $100 million contracts. Much of it is backloaded and the player will never see it. Those final years are illusory ... the team can get out from under its obligation at will, and there is rarely a real expectation on the part of the team to honor the final years of the contract.

TO has a big roster bonus coming up in 2006 ... he sees the $$ he's playing for this year, and if he doesn't get the bonus next year (either he gets hurt or just gets cut outright, or even traded--the Eagles always have tons of cap room so they can do it) he ends up playing for way under market. The Eagles don't like to pay older players, and it wouldn't surprise anyone if they cut him next year to avoid the bonus.

Although I don't typically side with whiny multi-millionaires, the whole contract snafu from last year did rob him of the biggest FA payday he'd ever see in his career. He's already in his 30's. He's also one of the top 3 WR's in the league, and he's playing for less than market (the exact reason that Priest dserved to get paid).

mikey23545
04-15-2005, 04:34 AM
TO doesn't really have a $50 million contract just like McNabb, Favre, Vick, Manning, et al. don't really have $100 million contracts. Much of it is backloaded and the player will never see it. Those final years are illusory ... the team can get out from under its obligation at will, and there is rarely a real expectation on the part of the team to honor the final years of the contract.

TO has a big roster bonus coming up in 2006 ... he sees the $$ he's playing for this year, and if he doesn't get the bonus next year (either he gets hurt or just gets cut outright, or even traded--the Eagles always have tons of cap room so they can do it) he ends up playing for way under market. The Eagles don't like to pay older players, and it wouldn't surprise anyone if they cut him next year to avoid the bonus.

Although I don't typically side with whiny multi-millionaires, the whole contract snafu from last year did rob him of the biggest FA payday he'd ever see in his career. He's already in his 30's. He's also one of the top 3 WR's in the league, and he's playing for less than market (the exact reason that Priest dserved to get paid).

If only those damn Eagles hadn't kept all those contract details hidden from him before he signed last year!

Poor millionaire asshole.....

MichaelH
04-15-2005, 04:52 AM
Regardless of their athletic ability, guys like TO and Moss are trash. They're in it for themselves and never learned that football is a team sport. Any team that welcomes either to play for them deserves what they get.

Saggysack
04-15-2005, 05:22 AM
They're in it for themselves

You just described 99% of the NFL. Congrats.

the Talking Can
04-15-2005, 05:29 AM
Philly should do nothing. And let him sit out if he doesn't like it.

No one forced him to sign the contract.

Chiefnj
04-15-2005, 07:02 AM
It's a business. If he was underperforming the team would ask him to tak a cut or restructure.

KCWolfman
04-15-2005, 08:17 AM
After reading the article, the fact is... He has a point. He got dicked by the NFL and by the 49ers and the Baltimore Ravens and his agent. He couldn't get traded unless he signed the bad deal. Granted he shouldn't have signed it. He could have sat out, but that wouldn't have helped anybody. He deserves to be the highest paid wideout in the game and anybody that disputes that just hates rich people. When Priest Holmes put up huge numbers and said, "Hey my deal is no longer fair." Everybody around here said, "Pay him Carl you cheap bastard!" Priest Holmes didn't even get screwed by anybody. He was a free agent and proved himself, and so he wanted want was fair. The media didn't even make a big deal out of it, because they LIKE Priest Holmes.

But when the NFL's bad boy does the same thing (under even harsher circumstances: Agent forgetting to file for F/A, Traded without concent, Forced to take a deal WAY under market, put up record numbers, and out performed his whole team during the SUPER BOWL) all the sudden the media jumps and calls him greedy. It's a supreme double standard. The Eagles know what's fair. They should give him a great contract that pays him in the top three at least. At the very least a compromise should be given and a new contract with more incentives and roster bonuses should be made.

So because he got screwed by SFO and BAL and signed up with Philly right away, Philly should have to pay the price after their signed agreement has already been established?

I don't see the logic. Had this strictly been an "I need to get out of here right away" contract, he should have signed a one year deal.

StcChief
04-15-2005, 08:25 AM
Every player should have a performance oriented contract. Keeps them hungry to perform.

carlos3652
04-15-2005, 08:31 AM
So because he got screwed by SFO and BAL and signed up with Philly right away, Philly should have to pay the price after their signed agreement has already been established?

I don't see the logic. Had this strictly been an "I need to get out of here right away" contract, he should have signed a one year deal.

OK, the Eagles would have a Cap hit of over 18 million for year 1... I think the long term deal helped the team to stay under the cap, their cap hit for 2005 was 4mill, and their cap hit for 2006 is 3mill, if you think TO is going to be paid 3.0 mill this year and get cut next year so he doesnt see the 7mill you got to be kidding me....

I hate Moss and TO, but if you are the best player in the game, you deserve to get paid like one...

KCWolfman
04-15-2005, 08:36 AM
OK, the Eagles would have a Cap hit of over 18 million for year 1... I think the long term deal helped the team to stay under the cap, their cap hit for 2005 was 4mill, and their cap hit for 2006 is 3mill, if you think TO is going to be paid 3.0 mill this year and get cut next year so he doesnt see the 7mill you got to be kidding me....

I hate Moss and TO, but if you are the best player in the game, you deserve to get paid like one...
You also deserve to initially think like one when signing a contract.

jspchief
04-15-2005, 08:36 AM

Great points.

The biggest problem I have with this is the pandora's box that it opens. So you sign "Joe WR" and make him the highest paid WR in the league. The following off-season, five other WRs get bigger contracts. Now Joe isn't the highest paid WR in the league anymore, and he thinks he should be. So he holds out one year after siging his contract. If you give in, next year your RB has a great year and decides the contract he just signed isn't big enough.

TO might have a point if he performed way above and beyond expectations, but his performance was right in line with his performance the previous 5 years.

TO hired a bad agent that f*cked up. If he was backed into a corner, he could have just played out the last year of his contract and become a FA this year. I don't imagine he was complaining about this contract when he was putting his 7 million dollar signing bonus in the bank.

Sponge Bob
04-15-2005, 09:26 AM
Once a dick, always a dick !

Bwana
04-15-2005, 10:23 AM
What a tool.

BIG_DADDY
04-15-2005, 10:29 AM
Don't like it, ride the bench. TO's ego is too big to just sit there all season and not get paid. I wouldn't renegotiate shit.

Logical
04-15-2005, 10:46 AM
I don't care about his numbers in the Super Bowl IMO because of the T.O. factor his team lost the only playoff game he played in. They got over the hump without him and then it was all about him..and they lost. How much more clearer can it be.

You saying that it had more to do with TO playing than Philly finally ran into a quality opponent in NE?

jarjar
04-15-2005, 10:54 AM
Man, TO is a self centered prick. I can't stand him, but in this..

Well looking at this situation from his perspective, it all comes down to one thing for me... In his situation I'd do the same thing and not feel bad about it at all, and I'm fairly certain most people would. It's about the money of course, but the fact that I'd be able to stick it to people who had screwed me would help. He got screwed by the 49er's, he got screwed by the Ravens, he got screwed by his agent and he got screwed by the NFL. He took a substandard deal with the Eagles and then was a part of the best reciever/quarterback combo in the league. If he wasn't performing, I could see the argument, but as it stands now he is way underpaid, and in todays NFL I don't begrudge players who are underpaid trying to get their due. The system is already very slanted towards the teams benefit as it is, and if there is an edge a player can get, they should take it.

I guess if your stance is that noone should ever renogiation any contract under any circumstances, then nothing is going to convince you, but if anyone should be renegotiating, it's TO.

jarjar
04-15-2005, 10:55 AM
You saying that it had more to do with TO playing than Philly finally ran into a quality opponent in NE?

If anything, had TO not played in the Superbowl then the game would have been a blowout. We're lucky he made it in so Philly could at least put on a good show.

el borracho
04-15-2005, 11:46 AM
Why do people keep saying Owens got screwed by Baltimore? If anything, Owens screwed Baltimore by refusing to play there. If Owens felt pressured to sign a deal quick last year and signed a "less than perfect deal" because of it, it is the price he paid for demanding and getting to play in Filth-a-delphia.

Lbedrock1
04-15-2005, 11:53 AM
its pretty sad when 49 miliion is considered "substandard" These superstar Athletes live in a completely different world than the rest of us.
It is not just athletes it is most of the super rich. If Bill Gates lost everything except 49 million he would consider himself poor. They all live in a different world but that is why I want to move there also.

redbrian
04-15-2005, 12:17 PM
Screw him; I hope the Eagles hold him to the contract.
Seems to me the Eagles were pretty smart in this deal, they have all the leverage. He either plays or retires from the game.

The only way I would renegotiate with him is to make the contract 100% performance based, he plays above the NFL he gets paid, he performs lower than that he gets squat.

yunghungwell
04-15-2005, 01:03 PM
Did no one catch this quote?
"I know I'm a top player in the game, and my current contract doesn't justify that," Owens said. "The fact that I signed this contract, that I'm under contract, doesn't factor into anything when it comes to the National Football League. [The Eagles] can cut me anytime they want to -- even if I'm performing well, I'm healthy and I'm putting up numbers, just because they don't want to pay a player that money."

Even if "...I'm performing well, I'm health, and I'm putting up numbers..."? WTF, what NFL team sits the leading scorer who is: healthly, performing well, and putting up numbers? (Anyone else notice the redundancy?)

ChiefsOne
04-15-2005, 01:35 PM
I just wish the all the league Owners/GM's/Coaches had the balls to cut him and keep his dumb greedy ass out of football!

Blackball his ass from the league and let him get a construction job that pays $10.00 an hour. Teach all the other players that want to hold out and bitch about only getting a 10 million signing bonus.

Mr. Kotter
04-15-2005, 01:41 PM
Yo, ya'all get of T.O.'s ass....afterall, the man's "gotta feed his family." :harumph:

Chiefnj
04-15-2005, 02:06 PM
They were just interviewing Hugh Douglas about the situation. He said something to the effect that - You know what's sad? We didn't even win the Super Bowl. Imagine what he'd be asking for if we won.

jspchief
04-15-2005, 02:12 PM
They were just interviewing Hugh Douglas about the situation. He said something to the effect that - You know what's sad? We didn't even win the Super Bowl. Imagine what he'd be asking for if we won.

Ironic that it comes from Douglas. He's a shining example of the argument that TO is trying to make. He's a guy that got cut one year after signing his big contract. You'd think if anyone would see it from TO's perspective, Hugh Douglas would. Just shows how much of an ass Owens is.

Chiefnj
04-15-2005, 02:19 PM
Ironic that it comes from Douglas. He's a shining example of the argument that TO is trying to make. He's a guy that got cut one year after signing his big contract. You'd think if anyone would see it from TO's perspective, Hugh Douglas would. Just shows how much of an ass Owens is.

Douglas actually said it was his opinion that a player should play out the contract he signed, but he understood Owens' point and it is Owens' decision to make.

el borracho
04-15-2005, 02:48 PM
Why do people keep saying Owens got screwed by Baltimore? If anything, Owens screwed Baltimore by refusing to play there. If Owens felt pressured to sign a deal quick last year and signed a "less than perfect deal" because of it, it is the price he paid for demanding and getting to play in Filth-a-delphia.
Anyone care to explain how Owens got screwed by Baltimore? KCWolfman? Jidar?

ChiefsOne
04-15-2005, 02:56 PM
Yo, ya'all get of T.O.'s ass....afterall, the man's "gotta feed his family."

Those kids must eat alot if 10 mil won't feed their little asses! :shake:

KCWolfman
04-15-2005, 03:16 PM
Anyone care to explain how Owens got screwed by Baltimore? KCWolfman? Jidar?
I don't know. Personally, I think he screwed Baltimore, myself.

philfree
04-15-2005, 03:31 PM

Both I guess. The whole week leading up to the game it was all about T.O. and if I were the other players I think I'd have been miffed that after winning the NFC Championship without him all the focus was on him. I think from some of the interviews I heard that the players on the Eagles were sick of it.

mcan
04-15-2005, 05:57 PM

Everybody knew that he was a free agent. He had played out his contract in San Fransisco, even though HE HATED IT THERE. When his agent messed up, the rule stated that he would have to play for another year (at a drastically lower salary then he was about to get as a free agent). San Fransisco should have let him out of his contract and let him become a free agent. That would have been the right thing to do. Instead, they traded him to a team that was interested in his services (albeit without having to bid for him).

I equate what the 49ers did to theft. What Baltimore did, was buying stolen goods. They are both just as guilty in screwing over Owens.

Let's look at it this way. Let's say you fill out your tax return today and find out that you are owed about 100 million dollars. But, your CPA doesn't put the right kind of stamp on the envelope and it bounces around in the mail for a couple months. When the government finally gets it, they say that there is a penalty for it being late. Basically, take half of that RIGHT NOW, or nothing... You begrudgingly take the 50 Million, but spend the next year trying everything you can do in your power to get that other 50 Million. You fire your CPA and get a new one (who tells you that he can get you that 50 Million that you are technically owed). Then you try to put a little pressure on the government to get them to pay up... Hell, they've got YOU'RE money!

tk13
04-15-2005, 06:07 PM
Everybody knew that he was a free agent. He had played out his contract in San Fransisco, even though HE HATED IT THERE. When his agent messed up, the rule stated that he would have to play for another year (at a drastically lower salary then he was about to get as a free agent). San Fransisco should have let him out of his contract and let him become a free agent. That would have been the right thing to do. Instead, they traded him to a team that was interested in his services (albeit without having to bid for him).

I equate what the 49ers did to theft. What Baltimore did, was buying stolen goods. They are both just as guilty in screwing over Owens.

Let's look at it this way. Let's say you fill out your tax return today and find out that you are owed about 100 million dollars. But, your CPA doesn't put the right kind of stamp on the envelope and it bounces around in the mail for a couple months. When the government finally gets it, they say that there is a penalty for it being late. Basically, take half of that RIGHT NOW, or nothing... You begrudgingly take the 50 Million, but spend the next year trying everything you can do in your power to get that other 50 Million. You fire your CPA and get a new one (who tells you that he can get you that 50 Million that you are technically owed). Then you try to put a little pressure on the government to get them to pay up... Hell, they've got YOU'RE money!
I don't agree with that at all, that equates to making somebody else pay for your stupid mistakes. That's not fair. Nobody else did that to him. It may be enforcement of a simple little rule, but if you've shown the inability for follow such simple rules I don't see why an exception should be made for you.

Bowser
04-15-2005, 06:07 PM
mcan, are you sure he played his contract out with the Niners? If he did, why would they need to trade him? He could go anywhere he wanted to, sans all the drama with Baltimore/Philly.

KCWolfman
04-15-2005, 07:33 PM

But you still kept the CPA to file an amended return and then cried about the amount after you cashed the check?

Iowanian
04-16-2005, 12:07 AM
Philly fans are known for being Peaceful and forgiving.

I can't wait until they turn on that jerkwater.

wazu
04-16-2005, 12:24 AM
Owens is by far my favorite NFL player. (After Tony Richardson.)

Gotta love one guy that stirs up so much shit, and then backs it up by kicking everybody's ass on the field. A pure dream for the NFL.

el borracho
04-16-2005, 03:10 AM
I'm confused. Am I misreading your earlier post?