PDA

View Full Version : Cap for 2001

Ugly Duck
12-20-2000, 07:56 AM
http://www.insidedenver.com/broncos/1220bron1.shtml

Okay, check out the article. Most of it is about the Broncos and who they *may* lose during the offseason. It also addresses salary caps for some teams. The Jags have $99M committed to the 2001 cap!

KC is right behind them. Denver has a lot of young players that need to be resigned and they're looking at losing Mobley, Griffith, possibly Neil, Chamberlain and a few others. Not to mention, it's time for them to rework Griese's deal.

I'm very curious to see what they do, but where is KC's money tied up and who is getting all that cash?

BigChiefsFan
12-20-2000, 09:35 AM
MHM--
A lot of money is tied up on defense: We have Chester, Dan Williams and Lew Bush all making too much money. The problem is that Dan and Chets bonuses are going to kill us whether or not we cut them. Bush's should be easier to absorb.

A big hit comes from Elvis's projected $10 million bonus he's due March 1. It's a roster bonus, so unless Carl cuts him (ain't going to happen—Elvis is Carl's golden boy) or restructures his contract (more than likely to happen) we will have 1/7th of our cap tied up with his bonus, salary and incentives.

The biggest issue is who to cut and who not to. I would love to see Chet, Williams and Bush gone. Unfortunately, we'll probably still have at least one, if not all three, left on the roster. Carl will never admit he made a mistake with Chet, never admit how dumb he was to sign Dan after Dan sat on his fat a$$ for a year, and never, ever admit that Bush was a gamble that didn't pay off.

Also, while cutting them would eliminate their base salaries and performance bonuses from the cap, we are still responsible for any signing bonuses...and that's where it gets sticky. The longer the contract, the less damage, but a longer contract usually means a bigger bonus. Vicious cycle.

MM
~~Realizing that Carl's job is tougher than we think.

------------------
One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures.
--George W. Bush

[This message has been edited by Mark M (edited 12-20-2000).]

Lurker Brett
12-20-2000, 09:49 AM
For anyone interested, NFL Talk, has a complete list team by team of 01 cap committments. I emailed Ryan Early, and ask if he could, or let me know where I could find an individual list for the Chiefs. I will let you all know, if he replies.

Lurker Brett
12-20-2000, 09:51 AM
Also, they reported, to be a major player in the free agency, a team needed to be around 60 mil, when it started. If Carl can do this, Bush needs to let him start working on the national debt.

Fat Homer
12-20-2000, 09:59 AM
We are about to find out if Carl is a genius or just a pretender...if he can bring the Chiefs into 2001 with at least the same players we have now, and under the cap, it will be a minor miracle...if he can sign some top talent and keep the talent core of the current team in tact, it will be a major miracle...

I see Chet and Dan with the team next year...Bush is gone...Elvis will renegotiate, he's our best shot at QB...some of the other players will probably restructure...

It should be an interesting off-season...

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

CHIEF1
12-20-2000, 10:07 AM
And we wonder why TRich is being touted as "the future of the KC running game". Carl is NOT going to go after any FA RBs. KC doesn't have the money to spend.

rh :mad:
it's all coming into focus...<BR>

bigdaddychieffan
12-20-2000, 10:29 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/latest/mainnews.asp?storyID=1969&cat=1&showLatest=yes

For those who missed it the 1st time around...This article explains how Peterson (& other NFL GM's) works the salary-cap issue.